Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rarity posted:

I already hate life

High Five!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
San Junipero is so drat good. Easily one of the best in the series. My favorite is still the Christmas special, but that one is a close second.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I'm loving the series so far.

Two for two on happy (for black mirror) endings. Yes I count being able to die as a happy ending in this show.

Nosedive was basically the meowmeowbeanz episode from Community though. But a very well produced and far more serious one.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Men Against Fire is underrated in this thread. That's some peak Black Mirror imo.

San Junipero is of course great, as well as Shut Up and Dance. Still haven't watched Playtest or the last one. Started with the best four based on the early reviews, but from reading this thread, I think it goes downhill from here.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Brooker is a loving god

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

It was better in execution and maintaining it's theme all the way through They copped out at the end of White Bear by throwing in lines about her just filming the child murder and her being coerced into it by her boyfriend. Instead we saw a cheating shithead and pedophile go through a gantlet of human misery, are thrown one of the biggest release values not to feel bad for the main character but are completely denied the ability to release the tension and horror built up. It stuck to it's guns and was even more depressing and scary because of it.

Troll Face.jpg is now terrifying

by "the white bear of this season" i meant it was the best episode (and probably most soul crushing). though i totally agree with you as well.

Dugong posted:

I have no idea how you guys binge this.

it's pretty easy until you get to the terrible and terribly boring last episode.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just remembered that Uber requires drivers to keep a 4.7+ rating to keep their job.

There's also this Chinese credit scoring system that rewards you for obedience and being friends with obedient people.

The future is already here.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lovechop posted:

Brooker is a loving god

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but his various media analysis series that he has done in the past are seriously good too, and you can pick up various influences that they have on Black Mirror (such as Merits being a retelling of Network etc). They are all on youtube and worth checking out.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Zenithe posted:

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but his various media analysis series that he has done in the past are seriously good too, and you can pick up various influences that they have on Black Mirror (such as Merits being a retelling of Network etc). They are all on youtube and worth checking out.

yeah Screen wipe is required viewing. everyone should check out Dead Set too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Screenwipe is how I originally came across Brooker back in 07 or so, and it still holds up as an incredibly funny and astute series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8lzqZ929g

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Dugong posted:

I have no idea how you guys binge this.
I don't like horror movies but I love existential dread, chiefly in the form of mystery thrillers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ymgve posted:

I just remembered that Uber requires drivers to keep a 4.7+ rating to keep their job.

There's also this Chinese credit scoring system that rewards you for obedience and being friends with obedient people.

The future is already here.

plus stuff like tinder.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Having watched all through S3, I just think the show as a whole is just across the board, well realised, thoughtful and excellent.

I even take back my criticisms of 'The Waldo Moment', as watching it again in light of the current presidential election, it feels far less flawed and far more eerie.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished the series. Very strong, but definitely closer to par with White Christmas than either of the two series.

Nosedive: Strong episode, but I thought it was a bit formulaic. The "Instagram is capitalism" metaphor got really obvious, but honestly I thought the last two minutes, where Not-John Hammond meets a man who also no longer gives a gently caress, were so charming it elevated the episode.

Playtest: Probably the worst one of the series for me. Strong sci-fi conceit, but Cooper was so relentlessly unlikeable that I just spent the hour hoping for his mental breakdown. I'm the painfully bourgeois dick who can't talk to my mom after she just lost her husband, and also thinks Dumbledore tells you what Harry Potter house you're in.

Shut Up and Dance: Very strong episode, with great performances from both Kenny and Bronn. I didn't really grok the "Kenny was also a pedo" twist. I spent a lot of the episode thinking Kenny;s bullies had orchestrated it, and when we met Kenny's mortal combat opponent I thought "way to tap Britain's insane pedo-rage" and left it at that

San Junipero: By and away the best episode of the series.

I had been spoiled on a few aspects of the episode by promos, but it didn't actually ruin anything for me. I spent the first third wondering which woman was the time traveller, the second wondering what was wrong with which time traveller, and the last third crying. It's so refreshing to see a story that wholeheartedly embraces "what if Second Life, but too much" and manages to generate a happy ending. I was so glad Kelly got a second chance in her life, and Lockie got her first.

Men Against Fire: Fairly strong episode, but I just wasn't hooked by the soldiers/PTSD element. I do think the mental filter implant was implemented far better than in Playtest, for sure.

Hated in the Nation: After Shut Up and Dance, I really liked the idea of a "sympathy for Rebekah Brooks" episode, but it definitely turned into a latter-RTD Doctor Who at some point.

Overall rating: 4,3,1,5,6,2.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The message of Playtest is Call your mom. :(

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Shut Up and Dance, holy moly, that's some Black Mirror. It's the best kind of twist in that you can rewatch it and it actually makes more sense.

Also I'm an idiot, it took until the last scene before I understood.

Edit: Christ, that's why he was so secretive about his laptop too.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 22, 2016

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Just watched Playtest and really liked it. Yeah the main actor being a giant tool didn't help much, but I liked the premise.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Retardog posted:

The message of Playtest is Call your mom. :(

I thought it was if you're a white traveler, conceal what a painfully stereotypical mark you are. Also, get therapy where you can afford it, and don't play MGSV or PT.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vitamin P posted:

How long until we stop doing spoilers? I hate the redacted CIA document look.

Playtest was all about fear as jump scares and monsters, and then adds 'oh yeah and also relationships and adult things can be really scary too', the "lesson" was face your fears. It was just pretty cackhanded in a lot of ways. In Coopers vision it escalates until the company are evil and volunteers die all the time, but then volunteers also die all the time in the real world too, guess they shouldn't have turned their phones on eh, it's just silly.

Honestly I think "we're wiping your mind to turn you into a disposable corporate asset" would have been better. Or even what I was expecting, that Cooper would go to hug his mom and she would plasticate and warp and he'd be stuck never knowing how much he was seeing was real. Neither would be very coherent as an ending but the episode wasn't either honestly.

See I'd much rather your ending to Playtest. That's kinda what I thought would happen but it didn't and it left me feeling empty about the episode. Not like I felt sad and depressed but that it felt like what I just watched for an hour was meaningless.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like part of the intention with Playtest was some sort of gotcha that, no, Cooper's fear of his mother wasn't his greatest fear, but then they didn't go anywhere with that idea until he and his mother developed also Alzheimer's in the last 10 minutes.

Like, woo, the greatest fear of this cis-white poor-geois is that he had a bad time at school. (Not that that doesn't also describe me, but a lot of Black Mirrors seem to use at least one more dimension than that.)

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone keeps saying they don't like the protagonist in playtest, but his personality is obviously modeled after a let's player so it makes sense.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Afaik Brooker has been pretty open about not doing lessons, saying he doesn't have the answers so what's the point. I think the show is better for it, taking us to these extremes and letting us mull them over through our own filters, to an extent.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Bullfrog posted:

Everyone keeps saying they don't like the protagonist in playtest, but his personality is obviously modeled after a let's player so it makes sense.

He tries too hard to be funny, but I didn't see him being that terrible.

The cell phones making him a vegetable bit was stupid, but I liked how they were toying with how people perceive things (same with San Junipero). The ending of Playtest just happens and felt like it just needed to be darker because dark mirror.

Mameluke posted:

Like, woo, the greatest fear of this cis-white poor-geois is that he had a bad time at school. (Not that that doesn't also describe me, but a lot of Black Mirrors seem to use at least one more dimension than that.)

Uhh okay. Most peoples fears are going to be pretty mundane. I am not really getting what the issue was or why it mattered that he was a cis-white guy even, since the bigger theme was CALL YOUR MOM.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 22, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The only thing phones are good for is calling your mum/mom :colbert:
Thought it was an overall decent season, not without faults of course but appropriately bleak.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Finished the last two episodes. There are so many subtle references from previous seasons.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Brooker's in an interview saying he just wanted Playtest to be a fun Haunted House spooky story with no bigger message like the rest. Well, beyond the major one VIDEOGAMES

Just finished up, I quite liked Men against Fire and while Hated in the Nation was a nice enough cop drama it's story is basically solved half an hour in so it's a bit of a waste of time.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'd say that a point, if not the point, of both Playtest and Men Against Fire is dont sign contracts without reading/thinking about it first.

San Junipero was awesome. I once recommended Black Mirror to a friend who doesn't like scary movies and she watched National Anthem and got pissed at me; I'm going to recommend SJ and I think she'll like it a lot.

Re-watching Shut Up and Dance moved it up to #1 for me. Having seen every episode my rankings are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 2, 1

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hated in the Nation is pretty bleak as well after watching it, loved the ending though

I'd have to list my favourites as

3, 6, 4, 5, 1, 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nosedive was really good but holy poo poo, Shut Up and Dance's last 10 minutes are loving incredible.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

radiohead is good imo

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I wonder if the use of the white bear logo on the AR cards was intentional.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Murmur Twin posted:

I once recommended Black Mirror to a friend who doesn't like scary movies and she watched National Anthem and got pissed at me; I'm going to recommend SJ and I think she'll like it a lot.

Everyone I've recommended this series to I've told to start at the second episode.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I feel like this whole 3rd season was just threads and weird poo poo from previous Metal Gear Sold games. I enjoyed it though!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

San Junipero was the best. Oooo, Heaven is a place on Earth. :unsmith:

I think the only episode that I didn't like was Men Against Fire. Twist was too obvious and while I agreed with the message the way it played out just didn't do anything for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's great how in Men Against Fire how the villagers don't need to have the implants to hate the roaches. They hate them just fine all on their own.

Nosedive and San Junipero were surprisingly uplifting but Shut up and Dance took a big poo poo all over that and was devastating again. Playtest is forgettable and I'll probably never watch that one again.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 23, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zenithe posted:

His writing for The Guardian is frequently both hilarious and insightful.

Zenithe posted:

Everyone I've recommended this series to I've told to start at the second episode.

Yeah, same. The first episode does fit with the series, but it's not a good introduction.

Mameluke posted:

Hated in the Nation: After Shut Up and Dance, I really liked the idea of a "sympathy for Rebekah Brooks" episode, but it definitely turned into a latter-RTD Doctor Who at some point.

Overall rating: 4,3,1,5,6,2.

Have any of the people saying this ever seen an episode of RTD Doctor Who? There are legitimate complaints about it, but this comparison keeps coming up and it's really weird. There is nothing, not the production value, not the writing, not the pacing, not the high concept or plot that in any way, shape or form resemble Davies Who, which is all about sci fi that may as well be magic, has soaring, bombastc, Murray Gold soundtracks to round out its "Not so fast, you villain!" bombastic speeches, and trundles along so fast it rarely dwells on the beats. Just about the only similarity is the over-the-top way some of the authority figures are drawn, such that we are immediately supposed to write them off as selfish power climbers that we love to hate, but that's extremely common in a lot of British sci-fi, and, even in that respect, way more similar to the last two seasons of Torchwood than Doctor Who anyway.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Ugh.

At least that buckets rear end in a top hat can get off to this poo poo again this season.

Excuse me, I'm gonna go take a warm bath. Anyone got any aspirin and razor blades?

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
It's a shame the first half of Men Against Fire was so meh because the second half is brilliant. I saw the twist coming a mile away because there was an Outer Limits episode with the same twist but it was still amazing. And I'm always down for anything that points out how much we dehumanize refugees and immigrants no matter how heavy handed it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Zenithe posted:

:stare:I just remembered a certain interaction the main character had at the very beginning :catstare: gently caress this episode.

Also, how upset he was when he saw that his sister had taken his laptop, to the point where he put a padlock on the door.

It's also a little odd that the thing on tv before he went to jerk off was adult women, but I don't want to think about that too hard.