Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Your sheer enthusiasm for DieBuster is going to make me give it another chance one of these days.

Why not today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sharkopath posted:

busterrrrrrrr....

Actually, y'know what? I've seen two episodes of Gunbuster and there's like four episodes left and then I'd be done watching a classic. I'm gonna marathon that tonight and if I'm still energetic after it I'll check out Star Driver.

And by tonight I mean right now. Lemme grab some popcorn and get this going!

e: Oh, it's sad. :smith:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 16, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Why not today
Gonna clear some more of my backlog first.

My main issue when I first watched it was that it didn't really feel like more GunBuster and that's what I wanted, but it was a flawed approach to a show that was trying to be different.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Haha, if only this weren't true... I almost wish mecha shows weren't universally 40+ episodes long, it makes it hard to marathon 'em.

Oh poo poo, if you want a short robot anime that'll make you have emotions, you need to check out Gundam Thunderbolt. Only four episodes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh poo poo, if you want a short robot anime that'll make you have emotions, you need to check out Gundam Thunderbolt. Only four episodes.

If you're gonna watch Thunderbolt, watch the movie. It's the exact same except it has some added scenes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think my favorite scene in Thunderbolt was added in for the movie version.

It's when Daryl's robot hand starts shaking uncontrollably at the very end. It seems like despite everything he sacrificed to defeat the Gundam, his mechanical limbs are already beginning to fail him.

It's a somber but effective note to end on. :smith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Holy flip-flaps, Gunbuster is good.

Episode four is the stereotypical "pull out the titular robot at the last moment to save everyone", but it's executed so drat well that I was legit surprised when it actually worked. The show sold me on the aliens blowing up everyone so well that I was wondering if the final episodes would be a desperate survival race to Earth to something, not....what happened.

Also, my god I need prints of the alien ships. Those are so pretty and well-designed, just - wow!

e: Gainax, what. "The next two episodes are ENTIRELY unfinished but we have titles for them!"

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 16, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy flip-flaps, Gunbuster is good.

Episode four is the stereotypical "pull out the titular robot at the last moment to save everyone", but it's executed so drat well that I was legit surprised when it actually worked. The show sold me on the aliens blowing up everyone so well that I was wondering if the final episodes would be a desperate survival race to Earth to something, not....what happened.

Also, my god I need prints of the alien ships. Those are so pretty and well-designed, just - wow!

e: Gainax, what. "The next two episodes are ENTIRELY unfinished but we have titles for them!"

Now watch diebuster, but be aware: it is not more gunbuster, do not expect it to be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Droyer posted:

Now watch diebuster, but be aware: it is not more gunbuster, do not expect it to be.

I'm starting episode five right now, so wait at least an hour before saying that - and yes, it is on the list!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You are on a magical journey

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm starting episode five right now, so wait at least an hour before saying that - and yes, it is on the list!

oh i misread your post. whoops

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Gunbuster is extremely flawed but it strives to be the platonic idea of an 80's robot anime OVA and I love it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

You are on a magical journey

The time dilation is giving me unpleasant flashbacks to Voices of a Distant Star, and now there's an Earth evacuation ship, and "there are so many enemies they are blotting out space" and I really, really want these heroines to survive oh god. :gonk:

e: This sudden music moodwhiplash is killing me. From dramatic "he'll die" to "FIGHT!!!" to "let's combine!" and the music goes from sad violins to WOOOOOOOO :toot:

e2: Finished episode five. I've heard the final episode is entirely in black and white and I don't know how sad this is going to get, but I'm ready. Hit me, Gainax.

e3: I can't tell if that fight scene with the orchestral music was unfinished or artistic, but either way, dang. This is good!

e4: Did they stuff Jupiter into a bomb.

efinal: I cried. That was incredible. Flawed, yes, but in the end...absolutely incredible. I wish I'd seen that earlier, back before I saw Evangelion.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 16, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gunbuster was Gainax second work, after Wings of Honneamise. Except, they actually started with this short video for a sci-fi convention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gunbuster was Gainax second work, after Wings of Honneamise. Except, they actually started with this short video for a sci-fi convention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

I'd never heard ELO's Time album before, roughly a year ago when I first saw that video. That video introduced me to Twilight, and from there the rest of the album and it's one of my favorite albums now.

Also, I'd rec reading up on the history of that video and the one set before it - the wiki article is pretty good.

quote:

Only three people were involved in the production of Daicon III, Hideaki Anno, Hiroyuki Yamaga and Takami Akai.[4] Takeda, who was a part of the group, explains in Notenki Memoirs that Anno knew how to make anime, but he never worked with animation cels. They were referred to Animepolis Pero, an anime hobby store chain, but they found that the cost of the cels were too expensive, so a single cel was purchased and taken to a vinyl manufacturer in east Osaka, where they purchased a roll for 2000 yen. After cutting and preparing the vinyl cels, they discovered that the painted cels would stick together when stacked and dry paint would peel off the cels. To keep costs low, they made their own tap to punch holes in the B5 animation paper used in the production.

I love the thought of such famous folks (now) starting out by being super-cheap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I just finished FLAG.

I looked over the thread, and there were a couple mentions before now. They said good things. Which, I suppose, works out for the best.

It means I'm not redundant.

For those not obsessively informed on every series every to even hint at a giant robot FLAG's a 13 episode series following a journalist embedded in a special forces unit, with a B story following the narrator, her old mentor. It takes place in fictional and wartorn Uddiyana, where a game of capture the flag is being played for the highest stakes of all. The gimmick for the show is that every shot comes from an in-series camera. Mostly from the two protagonists, but there's live feeds from helicopters and the mechs mixed in with still frames to allow a little more variety in. It's by Ryosuke Takahashi, creator of Dougram and VOTOMS. Figured it sounded like my kind of show.

I figured wrong.

Show's not an utter garbage fire, but it's flawed as hell all the same. The CG for the mechs hasn't aged Gundam Evolve levels of bad, but it doesn't look good, and the mech action is pretty anemic. Most of it's just night vision filters, and the one major fight is straight out of a Phantasy Star game, complete with side hops to dodge. But that's not what the show's about, right? It's a show that happens to have mechs, not a mech show. We should find out what it wants to be before judging it.

Sadly, the show isn't sure what it wants to be either. It keeps gesturing towards broad themes, some interesting (the role of journalists in a war, the difference between being a journalist and being a photographer), some bordering on cliche (War hurts people!), but it never goes far enough to get anything out of them. Most of the cast is thinly sketched, and the dialog isn't exactly bristling with witty exchanges or clever insights into the nature of humanity. There are attempts to paint the central war in shades of grey, but when one side is literally a faceless assassin cult, and none of the named soldiers the show focuses on does so much as cuss, they fall flat. The frequent narration is well voiced, but dull and intrusive, with recaps sometimes taking up to four minutes out of the show's 22 minute runtime. Not that the show was using all that time even ignoring the recap. There's an episode where the central photographer just goes and assists a doctor in a nomadic village that has almost no connection to the larger narrative. In a 50 episode series, that kind of tangent is fine, but when you're running with 13, ditching most of the cast and all of the narrative momentum's a bad call.

And then there's the ending, which the show really didn't earn.

Shame, because there's a lot of interesting material in dealing with war journalism, but the show just didn't go for it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Macross Delta 17: I wasn't emotionally invested in Messer's death because the only thing I knew about Messer was he's very tragic. Similarly, I'm not invested in the mystery of Mikumo's past because the only thing I know about Mikumo is she's very mysterious. It's like Delta is trying to do the character beats of Michael and Sheryl from Frontier, but didn't realize that it worked in Frontier because you liked those characters.

Making hay out of a big NUNS scandal seems like a weird choice considering how sidelined NUNS has been in the franchise. They were barely in Frontier and don't even have much a presence in Delta, despite their big scandal being a huge plot point. I don't care about NUNS. Oh they did something bad? OK.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Artum posted:

Also the gurren Lagann movies blow chunks, so there's that.

Srice posted:

Some of the new scenes are cool but I really cannot get down with how they ripped out some important character moments.

the first movie kinda blows, but I wouldn't trade the Lordgenome hacking scene or the entire end fight in the second one for anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUzzAlorT7Q

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even ignoring some important thematic bits that were cut (Rossiu's character is just gutted), the TTGL movies make some odd decisions from what I remember. Doesn't the second movie begin with the Lordgenome fight?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

Even ignoring some important thematic bits that were cut (Rossiu's character is just gutted), the TTGL movies make some odd decisions from what I remember. Doesn't the second movie begin with the Lordgenome fight?

it's been a while, but I wanna say the Lordgenome fight is the end of the first movie and the second movie starts right at the timeskip?

e: nevermind, yeah, the second movie starts with the Lordgenome fight.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 16, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Artum posted:

I'd recommend Zegapain, the emotional kick is fairly potent in that one. It's also a good indictment of singularity digitising humanity fantasies.

Is there any anime (or tv show in general) featuring digitising humans that doesn't indict it?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tsob posted:

Is there any anime (or tv show in general) featuring digitising humans that doesn't indict it?

I don't know about anime or tv show, but Neil Gaiman's short story Goliath is, if not necessarily favorable, then at least very permissive of the concept.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob posted:

It's not exactly digital but Lost, depending on how you interpret it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

tsob posted:

Oshii's Ghost in the Shell is the first that comes to mind, as it's about the main character overcoming her reservations about it. Although it might just be a metaphor for love/marriage. Or maybe it uses love/marriage as a metaphor for merging your consciousness with a rogue AI to produce a new form of intelligent life. Metaphors can be a two-way street.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I need to find time to rewatch G-Gundam.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anything new on those awesome zoids photos making the rounds?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Well it's definitely not a mobile game and all that cool stuff wasn't just a horrible waste, no siree...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Mobile MOBA.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Japanese fans aren't happy either.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Mobile MOBA.

Ah, AIDS with an associated TB infection

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Mobile MOBA.

Zoids: New Century Zero (Shits Given)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sharkopath posted:

Mobile MOBA.

Of course it is.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Jesus, I shouldn't have expected anything else. At least it wasn't a Pachinko game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/789688200054710272

:frogsiren:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Still gotta start The Second Raid here soon myself, but that's extremely good news. So glad we don't have to wait until 2020 or whatever like some doom and gloomers were predicting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OK, running it down:

Xebec's last mecha show was Argevollen, which was extremely dull but at least had some half-decent CG action.

Katsuichi Nakayama's had minor staff positions in a whole bunch of stuff, but only one previous full series direction role, in a 2006 anime I've never heard of called The Good Witch of the West.

Shoji Gatoh is, of course, the author of the original light novels, but also has series composition and screenplay experience, both on adaptations of his work and on the adapted screenplay of Hyouka.

Aya Yamamoto doesn't have an MAL or ANN entry.

Looks like we might have an experience-light staff here with a scriptwriter who (obviously) knows the source material well, and has produced some good anime, but was always working with highly talented, experienced people before now. I'm tempering my expectations accordingly.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, running it down:

Xebec's last mecha show was Argevollen, which was extremely dull but at least had some half-decent CG action.

Katsuichi Nakayama's had minor staff positions in a whole bunch of stuff, but only one previous full series direction role, in a 2006 anime I've never heard of called The Good Witch of the West.

Shoji Gatoh is, of course, the author of the original light novels, but also has series composition and screenplay experience, both on adaptations of his work and on the adapted screenplay of Hyouka.

Aya Yamamoto doesn't have an MAL or ANN entry.

Looks like we might have an experience-light staff here with a scriptwriter who (obviously) knows the source material well, and has produced some good anime, but was always working with highly talented, experienced people before now. I'm tempering my expectations accordingly.

Here is Aya Yamamoto's ANN.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=30502

Still pretty experience-light staff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What, was kyoani too expensive for the new season?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hot take: fumoffu was by far the peak of FMP and the Tom Clancy wannabe stuff never did anything but drag it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

What, was kyoani too expensive for the new season?

They're probably too busy working on stuff that they have more ownership of.