Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Inspired by all of this Doctor Strange talk, I've created a thread in CD to continue discussion: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795016

Yeah but... CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but... CD.

Yeah, I know - but its the best we have :( I'll encourage constructive discussion, I promise!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Yeah, I know - but its the best we have :( I'll encourage constructive discussion, I promise!

*a poster we shall not name comes in* "But here's the thing, you're objectively stupid and wrong, this movie is actually endorsing the slaughter of the Uiger population of Chinese Muslims, watch as I post 17,000 words constructing my own fantasy narrative based on trailers, also Suicide Squad is the greatest, most intelligent film ever made."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just post about the movie here if y'all hate CineD so much. lol

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Just post about the movie here if y'all hate CineD so much. lol

lol I just didn't want to bog the thread down with discussion about a single movie, since this is the general BSS movie thread. I did my best at a high-effort post in Cinema Discussion to help direct discussion there

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

lol I just didn't want to bog the thread down with discussion about a single movie, since this is the general BSS movie thread. I did my best at a high-effort post in Cinema Discussion to help direct discussion there

Your post is good, and I thank you for the thread.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Your post is good, and I thank you for the thread.

Thank you :)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have to admit, I really would like to go ahead and get to the Marvel movies that won't be about fairly generic white guys with the standard list of movie protagonist problems. Like, I'm a big fan but after a while the formula starts to become more apparent.

If I ever see Robert Downey, Jr.'s Tony Stark again I'd prefer it to be in a scenario like "Tony Stark becomes mentor to the new Iron Man, a disturbed black teenage girl who just built a functioning suit of Iron Man armor in her dorm room."

God, I hope Captain Marvel is just exceptional.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's never happening.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

I have to admit, I really would like to go ahead and get to the Marvel movies that won't be about fairly generic white guys with the standard list of movie protagonist problems. Like, I'm a big fan but after a while the formula starts to become more apparent.

If I ever see Robert Downey, Jr.'s Tony Stark again I'd prefer it to be in a scenario like "Tony Stark becomes mentor to the new Iron Man, a disturbed black teenage girl who just built a functioning suit of Iron Man armor in her dorm room."

God, I hope Captain Marvel is just exceptional.

It's not unthinkable that they could branch out and do this eventually. It's been the safe option to go with characters more familiar to a broad audience, and those characters happen to be white dudes from 70-year-old comics, but then you have something like Guardians of the Galaxy showing that they don't have to keep playing it safe with familiar faces, and then you have Ant-Man where they went with Scott Lang instead of Hank Pym. Over on TV, they jumped ahead like 50 Ghost Riders with Robbie Reyes and he's killing it.

I could definitely see them just introducing new iterations of characters once contracts end, instead of "The role of Iron Man will now be played by ____" or doing entire reboots.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Don't worry, someone in the movie will be named Martha and we'll cycle through the Beavis discussion again.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Tim Miller has left the Deadpool sequel over creative differences with Ryan Reynolds.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/deadpool-director-tim-miller-exits-sequel-ryan-reynolds-creative-disagreements-fox-1201841001/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

well poo poo

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The directing of Deadpool was Avengers-tier so it's no big loss but I really wonder what the creative differences were.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

The directing of Deadpool was Avengers-tier so it's no big loss but I really wonder what the creative differences were.

Guess being called An Overpaid Tool in the opening credits was too much.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's always weird to me. It's a loving corporate comic book movie.

It's like when half the cast of Uncharted 4 left for creative differences. It's a loving video game, the plot has always been juvenile wish fulfillment, they crossed some line now with this equally generic story somehow?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

It's like when half the cast of Uncharted 4 left for creative differences. It's a loving video game, the plot has always been juvenile wish fulfillment, they crossed some line now with this equally generic story somehow?

You have an absurdly narrow view of the creative process if you think that working on 'wish fulfillment' doesn't mean you don't want to create the best product you can. Just because you're not working on making a genre-redefining masterpiece that will live through the ages doesn't mean you don't have pride in your work. There are tons of movie directors who work on films like "space alien monsters attack" or "EVIL SHARK" who none the less work their rear end off to make the best thing possible out of that concept.

It's pretty much straight disrespect and dumb to go "Why do you even care, it's just a VIDEO GAME/MOVIE?" It being a video game or movie doesn't mean it isn't the culmination of a lot of effort and work and struggle. It isn't a magic thing where they hit a switch and film comes out. People want to take pride in what they do even if what they are trying to do is entertain you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 22, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

The only voice actor who left was Alan Tudyk. The others were the game directors being replaced, by the original better ones anyway.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

WickedHate posted:

Also remember that "creative differences" can be a pretty big umbrella term because the studio doesn't want to air out its internal drama. It's rarely "we disagreed over plot point X".

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I really like the added drums on Hurt in the Logan trailer. The original song is incredible but the percussion really adds something to it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

The only voice actor who left was Alan Tudyk. The others were the game directors being replaced, by the original better ones anyway.
I will always love how people freaked out that Uncharted 4 was going to be depressing because they got the guys from The Last of Us to direct

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uncharted 4's story is actually really good and legitimately well-told so it's weird to die on that particular hill.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I know there were already some clashes with Miller and Fox over the casting of Cable, Miller wanted Kyle Chandler and Fox wanted Liam Neeson.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Absolutely nobody gives a gently caress about Tim Miller. Deadpool was hilarious as all gently caress but it's one of the ugliest films I've ever seen.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I never heard about the staff leaving over Uncharted 4. I thought it was very similar to Uncharted 3. What were the creative differences cited as why 3 was acceptable, but 4 wasn't?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't know the details but Amy Hennig who had been a director on the series since the first game left during development. If you watch the first trailer for the game, you can tell some story stuff and it seems the overall tone of the game may have changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o

Apparently (according to the voice actor of the lead character) something like eight months of work was thrown out when she left.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I never heard about the staff leaving over Uncharted 4. I thought it was very similar to Uncharted 3. What were the creative differences cited as why 3 was acceptable, but 4 wasn't?

About 8 months into development Amy Hennig and Justin Richmond both left Naughty Dog over creatives differences. They were the game's co-directors, and Hennig had written it.

That made Todd Stashwick (who was going to voice Sam and voices that teaser posted above) and Alan Tudyk leave. They said it was because of "weird changes" made by the studio. Tudyk and Stashwick had also become friends so they probably chose to leave together.

The rumors at the time were Druckmann and Straley didn't like what Hennig and Richmond had and wanted changes, and being Naughty Dog's A team they were getting their way so Richmond and Hennig left. There was also all this dumb internet panic about the game being grim and stuff because they made Last of Us, completely ignoring they made the first 2 Uncharted games.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then Amy Hennig started working on a Star Wars game in 2014 and 2 years later all we know about it is that it's a Star Wars game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stashwick is also working on that game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are like 6 Star Wars games that have been in development since Disney bought the SW rights and so far only Battlefront has been released

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely nobody gives a gently caress about Tim Miller. Deadpool was hilarious as all gently caress but it's one of the ugliest films I've ever seen.

I do. His trailer for Arkham Origins was great.

https://youtu.be/InUj9BT8KCc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are like 6 Star Wars games that have been in development since Disney bought the SW rights and so far only Battlefront has been released

Battlefront 2 might be out before any of the others.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I loved how with all of the DLC that would be a $150 game. The season pass was like $90 I think?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

About 8 months into development Amy Hennig and Justin Richmond both left Naughty Dog over creatives differences. They were the game's co-directors, and Hennig had written it.

That made Todd Stashwick (who was going to voice Sam and voices that teaser posted above) and Alan Tudyk leave. They said it was because of "weird changes" made by the studio. Tudyk and Stashwick had also become friends so they probably chose to leave together.

The rumors at the time were Druckmann and Straley didn't like what Hennig and Richmond had and wanted changes, and being Naughty Dog's A team they were getting their way so Richmond and Hennig left. There was also all this dumb internet panic about the game being grim and stuff because they made Last of Us, completely ignoring they made the first 2 Uncharted games.
It was good that Todd left because it finally meant we reached the culmination of recent voice acting where Nolan North and Troy Baker voiced brothers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I do. His trailer for Arkham Origins was great.

https://youtu.be/InUj9BT8KCc

You know what I meant, not a single soul went to see DP because of him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

You know what I meant, not a single soul went to see DP because of him.

Well, in the long run, everyone did, because he's almost certainly the one who leaked the test footage, so the movie wouldn't have been made without him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Well, in the long run, everyone did, because he's almost certainly the one who leaked the test footage, so the movie wouldn't have been made without him.

I thought it was Reynolds agent?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

I thought it was Reynolds agent?

Nope it was Miller

Miller is like half the reason that movie even happened dude. He never ever stopped pushing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

Nope it was Miller

Miller is like half the reason that movie even happened dude. He never ever stopped pushing it.

:shrug: Well he's still a lovely director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was a hell of a first movie. I remember Kevin Smith being all hyped, going "This Tim Miller kid is going places!" And Miller replied with a very friendly "Thanks, but I'm older than you, and we met before."

• Locked thread