Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I am currently working up the courage to send in a writing sample to OPP.

On the plus side, I have been interacting with GMC rules pretty much since their inception, via converting and/or adapting truly stupid amounts of Requiem/Forsaken 1E to 2E on a handful of CoD MUSHes. Through extensive experience, I know how a lot of it works in a practical, contact with the players kind of sense. I've had ideas boiling in my brain for years, too, which I hope to translate into some good stuff for OPP.

On the other hand, I have never actually submitted a writing sample to a publishing company. I don't have a resume in any sense, and other than maybe one or two connections, know no one there. I'm not really sure what OPP is looking for, if they're even looking for anyone right now at all. I'd like to give it an honest stab, and am prepared for rejection, I'm just not really sure where to start other than "just do it and don't think about it too hard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 265k. Story #8 achieved. Scion dice achieved.

New preview: the Netjer, or Egyptian pantheon. They are big on ma'at, the just and true life and the seeking of balance and order. They fight Titans a lot as a result. They are super conservative as a pantheon, old and stuffy even by divine standards, but they aren't reckless and they are very thoughtful.

Gods: Anubis, Judge of the Underworld. Bastet, Goddess of Prophecy and War, also Sekhmet. Horus, God of the Sky and Kings. Isis, Goddess of Magic and Family, also Hathor. Khnum, God of Artistry. Maat, Goddess of Truth and Deception. Osiris, God of Death and Resurrection. (Osiris has a prosthetic penis, so he needs Isis's help to create children, and because she is tired of that, she refuses to allow him to create Scions that are all of his nature, and he has to make deals with her about what they inherit.) Ptah, God of Craftsmen. Re, God of Creation, who is the sun and has three aspects throughout the day. Set, God of the Desert. Sobek, God of Fertility and Protection.Thoth, God of Knowledge.

The people that still worship the Netjer are the Kemeticists, and worship all of the gods at once, but tend to focus more on living a just life rather than worship. They break down into various cults focusing on a specific set of gods that suit their needs. The Netjer can call on any cult, but miscommunications are common when the cult doesn't worship that specific Netjer.

The Netjer are friendliest with the Theoi, who are from a nearby area and worked closely with their followers. They get on decently with the Teotl (Aztecs) most of the time, btu disagree on fundamental theological issues and find the Aztec gods too flippant. Set and Loki are also friendly rivals.

The Virtues of the Netjer are Justice and Balance. Balance is all about ensuring that all forces have an equal opposite - good and evil, order and chaos, etc. Upsetting the balance is dangerous, even for the sake of justice. Justice, meanwhile, is ensuring that all actions have appropriate consequences - reward or punishment. This can overwhelm one with passion, however, and risk imbalance.

Their signature Purview is unclear. I think it's Heku, the magic of the soul, which can influence and control someone's name, personality and so on?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They also said that they'd be using different names, they're just using the Greek names for now since that's what people know.

Also yay dice.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Rules Question: nWoD 2E/Chronicles of Darkness

Services and Availability. When talking about the Services list, organised by what skill that Service is associated with and the dot level of the Service, I had initially assumed that that meant what dot level in that Skill you needed to be able to access the Service - under the assumption that you didn't get Firearms 4 without knowing some military gun smugglers, or Streetwise 3 without knowing some drug dealers, or Investigation 4 without knowing some detectives. I liked this - I liked that it added a bit more backstory into your skill dots, and made them a little more involved in the world beyond just being dice bonuses. Then I read the Availability and Procurement paragraph in the equipment section, that I'm just going to quote in full:

GMC, page 232 posted:

Availability and Procurement

The dot cost of a piece of equipment reflects directly on the Resources cost if your character wishes to purchase it (or the components, for some things). It also reflects the level of Allies or other Social Merit required in order to find the item and the Skill level required to procure it with a single dice roll. For example, if a Party Invitation has Cost •••, a character with Larceny •• should not be able to find and steal the item without a roll, but a character with Politics •••• might be able to get one by virtue of saying the right words to the right organization. If your character wishes to obtain higher Availability items with their Skills, it requires a deeper effort.

I read this and thought it meant that actually, Skill dots cannot be used to acquire services and instead that the dot level of a Service meant the dot level of the Social Merit needed to acquire it - they were organised by skill for convenience. Then I read it again and wtf'd. It looks to me like 2E/CofD has added a second layer to getting things done with your social merits that nWoD 1E did not have. Initially, the ST decided whether your dots in Allies, Status or whatever were sufficient for the thing you wanted to get done. Then you rolled Manipulation + [an appropriate Skill] and if you passed, your Allies/Status/etc would do the thing. Now it looks like in 2E that they've actually put dot levels on 'getting stuff done' (hooray!) but have added a second check. If you want a 3 dot service done with your 3 dot Social Merit, you also need 3 dots in that skill to be able to roll Manipulation + Skill to get it done. Otherwise, it takes "deeper effort."

I have 2 questions:

1) Does this actually work like how I think it works?
2) If it does, why on earth is it written this way? Did Social Merit focused characters need nerfing? Why would they write the new rules in such a vague way in a single paragraph? Why does it not just work like the two much simpler and more intuitive ways that I initially thought it worked? What is going on here?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Rules Question: nWoD 2E/Chronicles of Darkness

I have 2 questions:

1) Does this actually work like how I think it works?
2) If it does, why on earth is it written this way? Did Social Merit focused characters need nerfing? Why would they write the new rules in such a vague way in a single paragraph? Why does it not just work like the two much simpler and more intuitive ways that I initially thought it worked? What is going on here?

I read it as:

If you have a high enough social merit + high enough skill to back it up, then you probably shouldn't need to roll to get what you're asking for.

If you have a high enough social merit + too low skill, then you'll need to use those skills and have a chance of failure to get what you're asking for.

If you don't have either, you're probably not going to be able to solve the problem without an investment in the problem solving (expressed mechanically in buying social merits).

I actually see it as being less rolling, because a socially focused character will be able to just get things by having already done the social work (evidenced by the dots in social merits and skills).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BNS needs to have their photoshop privileges revoked.

That's not how bevels and drop shadows work.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kurieg posted:

Ahh, well then, let's drown him out with terrible loving art

I feel like the last ratkin I played would be constantly shoving this ratkin into a locker.

That tail looks so terrible for reasons I can't properly express.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

Scion update: 265k. Story #8 achieved. Scion dice achieved.

New preview: the Netjer, or Egyptian pantheon. They are big on ma'at, the just and true life and the seeking of balance and order. They fight Titans a lot as a result. They are super conservative as a pantheon, old and stuffy even by divine standards, but they aren't reckless and they are very thoughtful.

Goodness, Bastet has a lot of purrviews.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

ZearothK posted:

Goodness, Bastet has a lot of purrviews.

defenestrate yourself

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I just gotta say, I am super okay with Bastet as hard-drinking, haunted, violent, superstrong shitwrecker, especially given the option of Bastet as sex kitten not taken.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion: 275k hit. Therianthropes are in.

New stretch goals:

280k: uh...

quote:

we will work with a team of professional game designers out of Seattle to create the Scion 2e app code-named Blacksheets. As they explain:" Blacksheets is a mobile character management app for the Onyx Path games. Our goal is present as much relevant information about your character and the systems they interact with, in a nice readable way."

290k: Scion Companion PDF will have a section on how to play the divine parents of PCs showing up in multiple divine identities. Two new reward tiers will also be added, to get a name of your choice in the Companion's text and to be a model for an illustration in the Companion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't know man, digital app stuff in tabletop games seems like a risky proposition given how often it winds up being a money sink.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
there was a bad taste joke here; it's gone now

Daeren fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 20, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I hope the dice look decent, I might want a set.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 20, 2016

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

I hope the dice look decent, I might want a set.

Low blow man.

Yeah, that came out nastier than I thought. I'ma edit that out. My apologies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
On the scale of grimy urban darkness, where does Scion tend to rest? Just backed Scion 2e.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Not.

Scion 2e seems to be fairly open with the fact that gods exist and their children are also semidivine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 290k. Blacksheets app and expanded stuff on divine parents in the Companion achieved.

New stretch goals:

300k: Bestiary will include a section on the Fair Folk of various kinds - aos si, yakshas, alfar and yo-geh-oh are the listed examples.
305k: the Anthology will have a total of 10 stories.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Dear thread,

I have plans in the works for a text-only Forsaken 2E game, likely to run on MU* code of one stripe or another. It's a fairly ambitious project, and one I've not yet tackled. In order to get a better idea of how my planned features will work in practice, I'd like to run a PbP "prequel" of sorts, to playtest the system, refine my ST methods, and hopefully provide a thrilling, engaging Forsaken experience in the process. I've run games before, but not on here, and not in a PbP format, though I'd very much like to give it a stab.

The setting of this "prequel" will be New Orleans, 2013. A few hardy Uratha come together around bizarre rumors surrounding goings-on in the city, which was assumed vacant of supernatural organizations following the devastation of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Gustav.

The Wolves of the Sacred Hunt understand that imbalance may swiftly overtake a chaotic place like New Orleans. Whole packs might uproot and travel there, or individuals may filter in and find one another in pursuit of Renown and the Hunt. I figured this would be the next-best place to gauge interest, since I haven't determined where "interest checks" go, if anywhere.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 302k. Fair Folk are in the Bestiary.

New stretch goals:

310k: Scion will have a Community Content section on DTRPG, allowing users that adhere to the Onyx Path guide on content standards to create and sell their own Scion material on a royalty basis. Further, Scion will allow licensed work by other companies. More details will be forthcoming once this has been fully formulated by Onyx Path, as they have never done anything even slightly like this before.

320k: Scion Bestiary will include Legendary Warriors - amazons, berserkers, maharathis, etc.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Dear thread,

I have plans in the works for a text-only Forsaken 2E game, likely to run on MU* code of one stripe or another. It's a fairly ambitious project, and one I've not yet tackled. In order to get a better idea of how my planned features will work in practice, I'd like to run a PbP "prequel" of sorts, to playtest the system, refine my ST methods, and hopefully provide a thrilling, engaging Forsaken experience in the process. I've run games before, but not on here, and not in a PbP format, though I'd very much like to give it a stab.

The setting of this "prequel" will be New Orleans, 2013. A few hardy Uratha come together around bizarre rumors surrounding goings-on in the city, which was assumed vacant of supernatural organizations following the devastation of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Gustav.

The Wolves of the Sacred Hunt understand that imbalance may swiftly overtake a chaotic place like New Orleans. Whole packs might uproot and travel there, or individuals may filter in and find one another in pursuit of Renown and the Hunt. I figured this would be the next-best place to gauge interest, since I haven't determined where "interest checks" go, if anywhere.

I love Werewolf, myself. The key to understanding it is to get the pack dynamic and understand that werewolves are fundamentally about picking a group or community to declare yours. Everything about a werewolf pack's activities are built from the premise of protecting and safeguarding the pack, and shaping the area around them into what they believe is best for the pack. Werewolf packs rarely just 'come together' - they happen based around some shared group that the wolves belong to or form around themselves, because the pack is family.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

I figured this would be the next-best place to gauge interest, since I haven't determined where "interest checks" go, if anywhere.

I think SOP is to post a recruitment thread in the Game Room (check out some other recruitment threads for examples, the OP really just needs to pitch your game concept and specify what you're looking for from player submissions) and then reply to the Recruitment Megathread with a link to the new thread. If you don't get enough submissions to run it, consider that a lack of interest. But I'd plan more for getting too many and having to pick which submissions to run with.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Is it time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-duel?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mors Rattus posted:

310k: Scion will have a Community Content section on DTRPG, allowing users that adhere to the Onyx Path guide on content standards to create and sell their own Scion material on a royalty basis. Further, Scion will allow licensed work by other companies. More details will be forthcoming once this has been fully formulated by Onyx Path, as they have never done anything even slightly like this before.
That sounds really, really cool. Kind of sounds like what the OGL from 3e D&D should have been.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

That sounds really, really cool. Kind of sounds like what the OGL from 3e D&D should have been.

It's what wotc is doing now with the additional caveat of "you don't own your work, we do." Meaning they can steal your free stuff and monetize it, or someone can take your stuff and put it up for cheaper.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kurieg posted:

Not.

Scion 2e seems to be fairly open with the fact that gods exist and their children are also semidivine.

So, it isn't gritty then? No dark nihilistic extestential shadow looming overhead?

Also, just noticed Promethian 2nd edition is out: is it any good?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
you backed it without reading anything about it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

MollyMetroid posted:

you backed it without reading anything about it?

I liked the general premise and what I read from the Storypath System Preview and skimmed the KS. I am assuming this may be a "read the manual" situation.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Covok posted:

So, it isn't gritty then? No dark nihilistic extestential shadow looming overhead?

Scion isn't part of the "of Darkness" lineup. It is the kind of game that has motorcycle centaurs.

Promethean 2e short verdict: so-so 2e core. The writing is fine overall, the mechanical changes fix some stuff that was broken (Wasteland and Disquiet) and some stuff that wasn't (Roles get added as a second sort of major Milestone to check off, Transmutation structure completely overhauled), indulges 2e's weakness for wobbly balance and unnecessary detail. It's playable and it's still recognizably Promethean, but I'd call it the weakest 2e core thus far, not counting Beast.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Covok posted:

Only in the sense that, at least in 1e, the various divine apocalypses were looming overhead in the form of the various Titans. Street level things were more or less "Our world except there are hidden gods in it", 2e is getting rid of the "hidden" part to the point that various countries have "Lycanthropy laws" with regards to how to punish unlawful transformation of another.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Also Troll Preserves, and Amazons as a recognized ethnic minority, which I am hoping means "Amazon bars" and "Little Themyscira" neighborhoods.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kaza42 posted:

Is it time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-duel?

Well, I'm assuming a Scion of the Egyptian Gods with a magical deck of cards is totally doable.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, I'm assuming a Scion of the Egyptian Gods with a magical deck of cards is totally doable.

Yami is totally a Scion of Anubis with the various games, his method of judgement (based on the pre-card game manga).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kurieg posted:

Only in the sense that, at least in 1e, the various divine apocalypses were looming overhead in the form of the various Titans.

I still appreciate how the other Pantheons are freaking out about it while the Aztecs mostly sit around shrugging their shoulders going "poo poo's happened five times already, why's everyone so upset?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 318k. 10 stories in the anthology and community content sales achieved.

320k: Amazons/berserkers/mararathis/etc. in the Bestiary
330k: Centaurs in the Bestiary, including Greek-style, American biker-taurs and weird poo poo like the nucklavee.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 332k. We are in the final hour. Legendary warriors and centaurs are in the Bestiary.

Final stretch goal: 340k to add a section on satyrs, deer women and hulder, who are intended to be a PC-focused group, particularly for solo adventures or side stories.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Final total: 334,714.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Motorcycle Centaurs" intrigues me. Are they just guys who really like motorcycles or are they literally half-motorcycle people... :stare:

I'm excited though, Scion seems like a lot of fun, I love the 'old gods in a modern setting' premise and want to see what they do with it.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

mistaya posted:

"Motorcycle Centaurs" intrigues me. Are they just guys who really like motorcycles or are they literally half-motorcycle people... :stare:
The latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Looks like something Rita Repulsa would make to fight the Power Rangers.