Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

UncleBlazer posted:

True bypass doesn't factor into this at all. A TU-2 or 3 will kill signal when on.

True bypass has been marketing hype for ages now, in fact they're so ubiquitous if you have a long chain I'd strongly advise throwing a buffered bypass like a boss in the chain.

Fair enough, let me restate:

My only stompbox tuner is a terrible cheap Fender pedal with awful resolution and bad tonal characteristics. My typical upright signal chain consists of one 1/4" cable from the pickup to the amp, and a true bypass stompbox with no power functions just fine as a killswitch in a pinch for such a situation.

I am considering something like a Pitchblack or Polytune to be a more long term solution, but first I'll look for an option with a less noisy switch... as those style switches are quite audible while between songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Anyone go with fretless acoustics (but not uprights)? How do they play, do they actually make enough sound to be heard in anything more than a duo or such?

I've had two and sold both. Not the most primo instruments (first was a Kramer, second a Washburn) but similar issue.

Played great, but you are right they are very quiet when not mic'd / amped. For practice and a duo they were fine, except one guitarist I played with who only had one volume - loud.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
On a scale of 1-10, my self control is about a 2. So naturally when a dingwall NG-2 popped up used on a forum I go on, I buy it. Should be here Friday/Saturday. What's goods money doing sitting around in a bank account, anyway?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pumped up for school posted:

I've had two and sold both. Not the most primo instruments (first was a Kramer, second a Washburn) but similar issue.

Played great, but you are right they are very quiet when not mic'd / amped. For practice and a duo they were fine, except one guitarist I played with who only had one volume - loud.

Fair. Friend of mine is buying one but he does mostly play solo, duo, with banjos or other bluegrass/folk type stuff.

I'll be on the lookout for an electric fretless I guess. Oh god I want one. Pondering trying to get my wife to get it for me for our 5th anniversary (wood!). Any suggestions? I've only played my ibanez GSR200, but have a long background in classical viola so frets feel really fuckin weird.

Any suggestions for a lowish end fretless electric?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Thorpe posted:

On a scale of 1-10, my self control is about a 2. So naturally when a dingwall NG-2 popped up used on a forum I go on, I buy it. Should be here Friday/Saturday. What's goods money doing sitting around in a bank account, anyway?

Those look sick and they seem super popular. What color did you get?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

muike posted:

Those look sick and they seem super popular. What color did you get?

Ferrari green. Went to post a wtb ad on that forum for that very color and found one for sale. I wanted a bass for drop Ab and this seems to fit the bill!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Any suggestions for a lowish end fretless electric?

Squier Vintage Modified, either precision or jazz depending on your preference, both are 300 bucks at Guitar Center.

It looks like they don't have a fretless in the current Classic Vibe lineup, otherwise that would be the next step up at around $400 new (if it existed)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try going used with something like this: https://reverb.com/item/2609815-squier-vintage-modified-fretless-jazz-bass-w-case-2000-s-sunburst

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Someone here should get that, it's gorgeous.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those were really well designed. An Ebanol fingerboard is pretty much the best material you could get for a fretless instrument.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BonHair posted:

Or use your tuner pedal, that's half the reason you have it. (Sorry about you being a clutz)

Rackmount for life :colbert:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

The Science Goy posted:

My only stompbox tuner is a terrible cheap Fender pedal with awful resolution and bad tonal characteristics. My typical upright signal chain consists of one 1/4" cable from the pickup to the amp, and a true bypass stompbox with no power functions just fine as a killswitch in a pinch for such a situation.

I am considering something like a Pitchblack or Polytune to be a more long term solution, but first I'll look for an option with a less noisy switch... as those style switches are quite audible while between songs.

I've tried most of the pedal tuners, and Sonic Research's Turbo Tuner is the best IMO. I do sometimes get a bit of pop when I turn it on, but it depends on how noisy the rest of the signal chain is.

Thorpe posted:

You won't regret it. My Dingwall pretty much killed my desire for anything other than another Dingwall.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

The Science Goy posted:

Do it! I like the TU-2, I bought one forever ago and don't think it'll ever die, it's a typical boss soft switch. The Polytune is as soft as well, I like the display a lot more but I've heard the switches on the TC Electronics are sometimes subject to fault (my ditto is lasting well though).

A nice tuner is a great investment that lasts indefinitely.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

TopherCStone posted:

Anybody ever try one of these Traveler basses? They look pretty cool and I found a good deal on a used one so I impulse bought it this morning. Haven't played bass in a while, and it'll be nice to have something with a built in headphone amp.

The real question is what kind of flatwounds should I put on it? 32" scale, but you use full-length strings. I wonder if full-length Tomastiks would be too floppy in that case.

Finally got this, strung it up with Thomastiks and it sounds pretty great! Kind of weird to play at the lowest frets, not sure if that's the bass or just me being way out of practice. Nice and compact, if I feel like wandering through my house while playing unplugged I can easily get through doors without dinging anything (I have a lot of J-bass headstock marks on my doorframes). Altogether it's shorter than my Gibson SG even though the scale length is much longer.

Only downside is that the built-in headphone amp hisses annoyingly. No problem through the normal jack though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I was looking at a traveling bass, then found these uke basses and they seem really cool. Anybody have one of these?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xqo_6g8KRXo

They have solid bodies too, wondering how they sound with fuzz....

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Remulak posted:

I was looking at a traveling bass, then found these uke basses and they seem really cool. Anybody have one of these?

I've been a U-Bass player for a few years now. I love the thing. I've got the one from the video, a fretted mahogany model; I had played the fret less at NAMM 2014 and really wanted that one, but ended up finding this one at a great price due to a clerical error.

I've played the heck out of this one. Played it all the way through a year long stint with an Americana band, and still break it out for acoustic shows with my rock band. It's also good for keeping around the home studio. I've also tracked with it once or twice.

A few things irk me, namely that it uses a powered piezo system that runs off the same batteries as the tuner, so if you accidentally leave the tuner on you will run out of juice and your bass will go useless. It is a bit of a one trick pony, that is it isn't very good for things like slap bass or even for picking. It has a single button design for straps, and the bottom button is too wide for most straps, so you may want to just grab a chair and keep it on your lap, as I have. It has no sustain, whatsoever; which is fine for certain applications, just gotta write out any whole notes. As for effects, the most I've put on would be from the Roland Cube, and it seems to handle it well. Nowhere near the acoustic volume to worry about feedback but it also doesn't help sustain at all.

It is also a huge attention getter. :grin:

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
So far this bass is pretty rad. I've only ever owned 34" scale basses and most of them have been 6-7 strings so I'm not used to a bass neck being this long and skinny at the same time. Har har. This can do low A with the stock .127 string pretty well, but G# is just a bit too loose. I have a .142 set coming from kalium though so hopefully that will take care of that!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Thorpe posted:

So far this bass is pretty
:oldkrad:

Yep. Goddamn it's pretty.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

UncleBlazer posted:

Do it! I like the TU-2, I bought one forever ago and don't think it'll ever die, it's a typical boss soft switch. The Polytune is as soft as well, I like the display a lot more but I've heard the switches on the TC Electronics are sometimes subject to fault (my ditto is lasting well though).

A nice tuner is a great investment that lasts indefinitely.

Trip report:

Picked up a Polytune 2, tested one in store, liked the fairly quiet switch and loved the strobe tuner mode. I took it to opening night, and when I hooked it up before the show, I got an extremely audible *pop* through the amp each time I turned the tuner off. I tried it again tonight - plugged in the pedal for half an hour to make absolutely sure it wasn't a cap issue, and cycled the pedal a bunch, no improvement.

I'll probably try out a TU-3 since it is buffered, but the Polytune is getting returned to the store. That *pop* completely negates any benefit over my existing setup, and I have better ways to blow a hundred bucks like new strings.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Remulak posted:

I played one at a Guitar Center once, it was a lot of fun. The strings feel really weird.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TopherCStone posted:

I played one at a Guitar Center once, it was a lot of fun. The strings feel really weird.

I spent about an hour trying to learn to like one at a local guitar shop. I couldn't do it because the strings felt so weird. I'm still disappointed about that because I think they're neat.

Maybe one day if I have cash to spare on something that I might not ever manage to like.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Would you look at this fellow. So many doodads.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hell yeah. Full scale?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

muike posted:

Hell yeah. Full scale?

Indeed. And I thought I had big hands

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TMI on the BMI posted:

Would you look at this fellow. So many doodads.

Unff that's next on my list to complete my Fender wankery collection. Block inlays :fap:

Also tossed a vinyl sticker on the Geddy to see how I liked the blacked out Jazzer look.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 16, 2016

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
I built a P bass knock off from a kit a few years back (mostly just to have a project), which turned out, surprise, to be a POS so I didn't really end up playing much.

I've been dicking about on guitar for years, but was always drawn to bass. Recently this popped up at half price at a local shop so I picked it up:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/bass/stiletto-extreme-4-2013-12-11-detail

Man, I wish I'd picked up bass 20 years ago. Been jamming on rocksmith and am working my way through the Hal Leonard book to re-teach myself to read music.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

NoDoorway posted:

Man, I wish I'd picked up bass 20 years ago.

Years ago now, but I had exactly the same reaction when I bought a bass and went through the Hal Leonard books.

Like, I'd been on-and-off messing around on guitar for 10 years not really getting anywhere but able to memorise some chords and bash out a few acoustic songs around a campfire or whatever, but I've actually learned to play bass, by which I mean I'm not just memorising "C G A and there's an F in the chorus" and strumming away.

Dat quilting.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 16, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

:gizz:

Tuner results:

Polytune: very audible pop when engaged. drat shame, fantastic tuner otherwise. Returned.

Korg Pitchblack: first use, had a minor pop, but I could deal with it. Had to unplug and replug to swap a stand light, then it started to pop as bad as the Polytune. Not a fan of the lights, and the button was louder than the Polytune. Returned.

Boss TU-3: standard Boss physical pedal design, completely silent if you tap it lightly with a toe. More importantly, :dance: no amplifier pop! :dance: I wish Boss had improved the accuracy of the tuner to less than a cent, but it's good enough. The interface is clean and effective, and it's the only of the three that allows either silent tuning or full signal output while the tuner is on - probably not going to use it much in non-silent mode, but it's nice to have the option available. Keeping this one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do any of you guys (or gals i dont care use) three (or more)fingers to play fingerstyle? If you do, what's your approach? Do you play straight RMI or IMR or do you alternate R and M?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

muike posted:

Do any of you guys (or gals i dont care use) three (or more)fingers to play fingerstyle? If you do, what's your approach? Do you play straight RMI or IMR or do you alternate R and M?

I use a third finger in a few situations.

Sometimes, I am skipping a couple of strings and need to hit that note right on time--if my ring finger is close to it, I'll use it for that. This is very situational, though.

Most of the time, I only use three fingers when doing a galloping beat really fast, or for 16th note sextuplets, like in "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine. Usually, the pattern is R-M-I.

During the finale of a song, for tremolo plucking, I'll use three or maybe four fingers. There's no patter here--I try to keep it R-M-I or P-R-M-I, but since I'm mainly going for speed and noise instead of finesse, that pattern usually gets flubbed up a bit.

(For most of my playing, it's just two fingers, though.)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Same here, I normally use two but if I need a triplet or a gallop pattern I go R-M-I. For triplet-one patterns I go R-M-I--M.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Does anybody have a bass synth pedal rec? I'd like a Deep Impact but spending 800-1000 gently caress dollars for a little sound box seems a bit ridiculous.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have an SYB5 and the tracking and triggering are… interesting to say the least. When it works it sounds cool, especially with an expression pedal but it would definitely benefit from a compressor before it.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
I've been playing a lot more on the lovely Epiphone EB-0 I've had for about ten years lately, and I was thinking it might be time for something new. I haven't had a chance to get out to the store yet, but

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-77/h99637000002000

caught my eye for lookin' pretty cool. Does anyone know if these are good for the price point? There's some discussion about it early in the thread, but it's from a few years back so I didn't know if the quality has changed since then.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Aight well I just pulled the trigger on a Future Impact after spending a couple hours researching.

Hope I like it, lol.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dr. Capco posted:

Does anybody have a bass synth pedal rec? I'd like a Deep Impact but spending 800-1000 gently caress dollars for a little sound box seems a bit ridiculous.

Markbass Super Synth. Super tweakable and programmable. The whole boner-having situation over the Deep Impacts is really dumb... They can be really finicky and glitchy, and are a pain in the rear end to dial in. The Markbass is capable of everything the SB-1 is, and more, and is a hell of a lot easier to set up and dial in.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
unsurprising fact i had not considered until recently: ibanez proprietary bass pickups suck as much dog dick as their proprietary guitar pickups

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

muike posted:

I use everything but the pinky on the right hand for fingerstyle for chords and shits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0Hoxo32FA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW6HjdqnrA

Not really for everyone, but helps to have in the bag.

Dr. Capco posted:

POG and/or fuzz + envelope filter gets me something I like much more than any "real" synth pedal out there.

muike posted:

unsurprising fact i had not considered until recently: ibanez proprietary bass pickups suck as much dog dick as their proprietary guitar pickups

The "Crafted by Nordstrand" pickups in the second-lowest tier of Ibanez basses are AWESOME. Don't get an Ibanez that doesn't come with the CND's or the real Nordy's.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Capco posted:

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah sounds pretty great for the ~$50 they tend to go for used. Lots of usable tones in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

Do you have any recommendations for single coil 5 string pickups? I kinda want to get some for my bass but want to do a ton of research on it since I can't afford them for a while.