Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you have high enough ranks in the chaos and life purviews you can make human/machine hybrids capable of breeding naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Kurieg posted:

If you have high enough ranks in the chaos and life purviews you can make human/machine hybrids capable of breeding naturally.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I Am Just a Box posted:

I think SOP is to post a recruitment thread in the Game Room (check out some other recruitment threads for examples, the OP really just needs to pitch your game concept and specify what you're looking for from player submissions) and then reply to the Recruitment Megathread with a link to the new thread. If you don't get enough submissions to run it, consider that a lack of interest. But I'd plan more for getting too many and having to pick which submissions to run with.

Understood, I'll get a pitch together!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Shattered Dreams has made a rather nice point of how all the fera hosed up. Constantly, and in horrific ways. It's nice to see more W20 material that embraces the idea that 'no, mankind is not inherently evil' and recognizes that stuff like the Apis more-or-less forcibly breeding humans together while the Ajaba murder old men and crippled children - even if they were certain it was a good idea at the time - may have just a little bit to do with how the Triat is so out of whack by the modern era, rather than the alternative view which is 'they had the right idea until the Garou hosed it up'.

Incidentally, I've always favoured the reading that puts mankind as the 'special' one in the scheme of the Triatic world. It fits nicely with Mage and Demon for the relatively meek and mundane human being to be the critical balancing point between the competing forces, and it highlights the absolute horror of what the Fera have done over the millennia really nicely. Rather than sitting down and going 'Okay, the hairless ape is born to all three forces in relative harmony, let's try and keep them that way', they all universally kept shoving them to one side or another until they fell clean off the balancing axis and hosed everything up. Add in a cosmological view that doesn't actually require time to be 'fixed' and linear for certain forces so that the tipping point really was the cruelties of the Fera spiralling 'backwards' to retroactively break the Triat's balance and you've got some real nice horror.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That's SMT as hell. I love it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Apparently the new met werewolf book is going to be 760 pages.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

Apparently the new met werewolf book is going to be 760 pages.

I imagine this is because it's the combining of seven books, possibly eight if they're including stuff from Wyld West, into one book.

EDIT: There's also MET stuff in all the Tribebooks that is probably being included too in a fashion.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 24, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I hope the majority of the pages are dedicated to the art that has been linked in this thread.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I imagine this is because it's the combining of seven books, possibly eight if they're including stuff from Wyld West, into one book.

EDIT: There's also MET stuff in all the Tribebooks that is probably being included too in a fashion.

It's still not something you'll be able to easily reference in the field, even most phones will probably choke on a 760 page PDF.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's SMT as hell. I love it.

Low level Scion's full of goofy/great poo poo like that. I have a soft spot for Hogzilla.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I liked that the 20th edition book of Masquerade was so huge. It was supposed to be comprehensive.

Why the gently caress is there any need to make a LARP book so complete? If your setting is so complicated that you need 760 pages to talk about it there's a problem with your setting. Is there anybody not already invested in Werewolf who would want to read through that just to play a goofy dressup game? (I love goofy dressup games).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mendrian posted:

If your setting is so complicated that you need 760 pages to talk about it there's a problem with your setting.
I think the "problem" here is that it's been around long enough to be allowed to order drinks at the bar. But I am also of the opinion that if you can't write more than a handful of pages about your setting, your setting is probably boring as hell.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Urgh. If your larp rules are longer than 40 pages, you're not running a larp anymore, you're standing up to play tabletop.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Urgh. If your larp rules are longer than 40 pages, you're not running a larp anymore, you're standing up to play tabletop.

I think the main problem is that it's encumbered by setting instead of being

Book A: RULES 50 pages, Intro to Setting 50 pages
Book B: 650 pages of extended setting stuff.

I think that perhaps it's run into a problem where they're trying to make a single book to tell you everything that's going on in the entire world for all the LARPs, because they're all connected. It's a valid way to play the game, sure, but it's going to be a major turnoff for most people just starting on that part of the hobby.

Personally, I'd rather play stand up tabletop with dress up in a nWoD/CoD/(whatever the hell the new acronyms are for what OPP is doing), in a setting customized to the location (city-region) I'm playing in. As it stands, I have zero interest in LARPs at all connected to the world of darkness universes, because of scope issues that relate to too many people in the same sandbox all trying to play with the same toys.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

cptn_dr posted:

In my experience MET LARP hit its peak in the mid to late 90s with the Laws of the Night grey book, which fit in your pocket and clocked in at under 200 pages. This was the first RPG for a large number of people I know. As page counts rose, the number of casual players decreased.

Now that said, a PvP-centric networked LARP is a pretty different thing from what MET was originally designed to support. PvP between strangers adds a whole host of issues. So it's not really the same game, and not really comparable to many other LARPs out there.

MalcolmSheppard fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 25, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So I'm really interested in that 2E Werewolf game but I've never actually read Werewolf, is there a good run down of it somewhere that isn't quite as prosey as the book because I don't mind reading the book but I'm moving this week and my free time's at a bit of a premium. Some basic 'this is the kind of story you tell/this is the kind of character that works really well in-setting' would be useful.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
There was a Fatal and Friends review of it by Prolific Forums Poster Mors Rattus, which might be a good intro?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I think the "problem" here is that it's been around long enough to be allowed to order drinks at the bar. But I am also of the opinion that if you can't write more than a handful of pages about your setting, your setting is probably boring as hell.

I think there might be an excluded middle between 'a few pages' and 760.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

mistaya posted:

So I'm really interested in that 2E Werewolf game but I've never actually read Werewolf, is there a good run down of it somewhere that isn't quite as prosey as the book because I don't mind reading the book but I'm moving this week and my free time's at a bit of a premium. Some basic 'this is the kind of story you tell/this is the kind of character that works really well in-setting' would be useful.

My personal impression of Forsaken 2E story is that it works best when there is a common goal which the pack strives to meet, together, that requires them to It's a game with "go out and actively do stuff" emphasized so greatly, that it's practically the werewolves' first law. They're always thinking ahead to the next hunt. If they aren't hunting at any given time, chances are they're preparing for a hunt, planning a hunt, or taking a break so they can be rested and ready for the next hunt. It's absolutely about being not just active, but proactive.

As a note of distinction, these werewolves are not all warriors, they are hunters. The full-moon Auspice, the Rahu, are the chosen warriors, but even then, they're hunters first. Hunters don't aim to fight. Hunters aim to kill. They can hunt knowledge, items, or with the help of the Sacred Hunt Rite, more abstract concepts, but when it's a living being?

In my opinion, the only thing I'd say any Forsaken 2E character needs to be is a go-getter. You can make the dorkiest, scrawniest werewolf with physical tertiary everything, but they're not going to let that stop them from hunting their chosen prey.

Also, shameless plug for my proposed Forsaken 2E game, whose recruitment thread may be found in The Game Room.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's possible to be a werewolf without ambition - you just have to be sure to support a pack that does have ambition, and to do so loyally.

The key to a werewolf pack is that they are a community, not just a party of PCs. Werewolves take a group and own them. Their default goal is reshaping the world around them to benefit the pack, the group that they have decided is theirs. They look out for their packs - human, wolf-blood and werewolf - and that means they both have a constant goal (because spirits sure as hell aren't going to stop being spirits and people won't stop being people, so tending the local area is a constant) and a constant source of problems ('Jody's kid is getting bullied at school. He's one of us. How are we solving this problem?').

The issue of werewolf problem solving is that werewolves have one big, obvious solution to problems, and that solution is murder.

As it turns out, this is a somewhat imperfect hammer.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

It's still not something you'll be able to easily reference in the field, even most phones will probably choke on a 760 page PDF.

This is very true.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
MET20:W does, at least, fully confirm that the Wendigo and Croatan butchered the people of Cahokia wholesale, and in a nice addition, it makes that a big part of why the Uktena and the other two often don't get on. This is one of my favourite latter-day additions to the game setting - a proper recognition that no, the peoples of America were not all noble savages in perpetuity, but were basically living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland of fallen empires and nations. It makes all three of the 'pure' tribes less pristine, and emphasizes that in terms of the impergium, it never actually ended in North America until the 'wyrmcomers' came along - and they didn't even bring the wyrm, since it was already there. Add it to my personal favoured read of 'goddamn it the impergium was a loving terrible idea for more reasons than one' and it makes the forced ending of it in North America a far more complex moral issue where you can play with ideas stemming from colonialism and the imposition of different values however good or bad they may be.

That or just play Captain Planet meets The Wolfman: MAX. Both are fine.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

My personal impression of Forsaken 2E story is that it works best when there is a common goal which the pack strives to meet, together, that requires them to It's a game with "go out and actively do stuff" emphasized so greatly, that it's practically the werewolves' first law. They're always thinking ahead to the next hunt. If they aren't hunting at any given time, chances are they're preparing for a hunt, planning a hunt, or taking a break so they can be rested and ready for the next hunt. It's absolutely about being not just active, but proactive.

As a note of distinction, these werewolves are not all warriors, they are hunters. The full-moon Auspice, the Rahu, are the chosen warriors, but even then, they're hunters first. Hunters don't aim to fight. Hunters aim to kill. They can hunt knowledge, items, or with the help of the Sacred Hunt Rite, more abstract concepts, but when it's a living being?

In my opinion, the only thing I'd say any Forsaken 2E character needs to be is a go-getter. You can make the dorkiest, scrawniest werewolf with physical tertiary everything, but they're not going to let that stop them from hunting their chosen prey.

Also, shameless plug for my proposed Forsaken 2E game, whose recruitment thread may be found in The Game Room.

One might say their defining trait is their dogged persistence.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Obligatum VII posted:

One might say their defining trait is their dogged persistence.

:golfclap:

You just had to go there.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Rubix Squid posted:

:golfclap:

You just had to go there.
You're Doggone Right he had to.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

You're Doggone Right he had to.
We're just gonna keep hounding this, aren't we.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Keep this poo poo up and you'll all end up in the doghouse.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This thread. Woof.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
please stop dogpiling on this pun, I got here first!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Obligatum VII posted:

please stop dogpiling on this pun, I got here first!

Well we can't just keep using the same one, help us out, throw me a bone or something!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every pun storm eventually turns into a shaggy dog story

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Eventually we'll fetch a new topic about scion 2e or something

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jade Mage posted:

Eventually we'll fetch a new topic about scion 2e or something

"500m mark reached, everyone gets a puppy :3:"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

But we already have Pugmire.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm strangely feeling like Scion 2e is closer to what Exalted should have been to a degree. I mean, they're both about being demi-gods in action stories. Scion just lacks the wuxia. Judging from the preview, I mean.

Also, does anyone else see the Ninja Crusade 2e in Scion 2e?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Covok posted:

I'm strangely feeling like Scion 2e is closer to what Exalted should have been to a degree. I mean, they're both about being demi-gods in action stories. Scion just lacks the wuxia.

Eh, that feels like pretty much the extent of the similarities. Scion appears to be shooting for something with significantly less mechanical crunch (splitting the distance between WoD/CoD and Exalted) and a very different feel in terms of world building.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This makes me wonder why we don't see more "x-centaurs" in monster manuals. It's such an easy mix-and-match system to making "new" monsters.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Because wemics were not well-received.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Savage Species and Bastards & Bloodlines would like to have a chat with you, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I didn't say it was a good reason.