Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

loquacius posted:

Triss is the obvious "smart" choice, as she is a straightforward altruistic idealist who fights and sacrifices for her principles and your friends like her

Yennefer is just really manipulative and self-centered, and your friends hate her; she is the self-destructive choice. But having done her romance I can understand why people would choose her anyway.

That said this time around I elected to not give a poo poo and just did both, having no idea what would happen :v:

Ignoring that part where Triss spent all of Witcher 1 lying to Geralt about his amnesia. Also she's like a sister to Ciri, which makes that whole thing super awkward.

Geralt's friends are drunks and womanizers and creepy warrior monks who live in a dilapidated castle. Yen's totally right to give Dandelion poo poo for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Moose-Alini posted:

I'm at the point where my deck has one spy so can't really use these pro strats yet. I have a few decoys but I usually redraw them since no one at this level really uses spies yet. It really seems like a slugfest hoping that I end up with one more card than whatever poor Velen merchant I stumble on.

The nice part is you can just keep playing the same merchant until you win. I actually recommend this, as when you see the greyed out "wanna play gwent?" dialog option for them, then you know you've beaten them.

Also once you get a little bit of coin (go murder some bandits, loot all their poo poo, sell it, ba-da-bing, cash) there are a fair number of merchants that just sell cards to help bolster your deck. One is specifically saved by you, so not only do you get to play him for a card, you can buy some off him to make your deck less suck. And it's cheap to play merchants until you get coin, you can just set the bet to 1 crown for a while until you get confident/coin. And beating more merchants means the later battles get easier.

Oh, and if you didn't play the guy in White Orchard, you can get his cards. They're Near the hanged man's tree in one form or another.

I have to say I hated the Skellige deck tournament. It's all based on muster and transformations and you basically have to accept losing the first or second round to make the third round bonus even viable. And in addition to that the game keeps you from save-cheesing the tournament, so I had to restart it half a dozen times just because gently caress you, my Geralt is the best at all the side games ever and I want that trophy, motherfucker. :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Also for the record, somebody made a mod for the PC version where Geralt can just use Axii to convince his opponent that he just lost at Gwent and should hand over whatever reward they would normally offer.

But then you're not playing Gwent, you monster.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fun fact: noted baddie Gaunter O'Dimm (endgame spoilers, HoS spoilers): tells you exactly what you need to do to get the good ending. http://bloodofelves.tumblr.com/post/136150164494

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bogart posted:

Fun fact: noted baddie Gaunter O'Dimm (endgame spoilers, HoS spoilers): tells you exactly what you need to do to get the good ending. http://bloodofelves.tumblr.com/post/136150164494

I really like Master Mirror. If I have a critique of Blood and Wine, is that Detlaff and/or Syanna fall a bit flat as antagonists after him.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hopper posted:

I did grab the goty earlier, before I dive in, are there any points of no return I need to worry about or will they all be clearly spelled out before you proceed?

as others have posted the big point of no return is spelled out very explicitly

some other newbie tips:

-combat is all about mobility and using appropriate tactics, get in a couple sword hits then dodge/roll away, use all your Witcher tools
-alchemy items only needed to be crafted once so you don't need to hoard materials, you get a container with charges that refill when you meditate (for the cost of one alcohol for all your stuff). don't be stingy with your alchemy.
-you will inevitably out-level many side quests, this is Just Fine. there is way more XP than necessary in the game so don't try to max/min your quest XP, do quests because they are fun and interesting, there are rarely any worthwhile item or XP rewards
-the only thing that carries over from an imported W2 save is the Blue Stripes tattoo, you can simulate a save and after the White Orchard starting zone you'll get to choose which characters survived W2. these characters make cameo appearances except for Letho who has a cool quest, there's no reason to not have all of them live.
-late in the base game you will be given the option to "forcefully shove" a major character, probably don't do that as it abruptly ends the quest chain

:justpost: your reactions when you get to some of the major plot points like the Bloody Baron quest chain, this game is loving amazing, there's a reason posters still spoiler a ton of things more than a year after release. we love hearing reactions from first-time players.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Transmetropolitan posted:

I really like Master Mirror. If I have a critique of Blood and Wine, is that Detlaff and/or Syanna fall a bit flat as antagonists after him.

B&W was made to have the tone as more of a fairy tale than a Witcher story as far as I can tell. It was silly and had an everyone lived happily ever after except the monster that destroyed the city ending. Also, there's the whole fairy tale world endgame path.

It didn't really have anything in terms of hard choices. It was like a nice, enjoyable ride in pretty not-France/Italy that put a nice bow on the story.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Crappy Jack posted:

Also for the record, somebody made a mod for the PC version where Geralt can just use Axii to convince his opponent that he just lost at Gwent and should hand over whatever reward they would normally offer.

That's some sort of war crime.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Transmetropolitan posted:

To be fair, it's kind of hard to trump satan but not

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I thought I'd have to live with bad graphics, but my 7870 runs this quite well.

Also, first inn and already confused by Gwent. I am not a fan of card games and deck builders even less. Will I miss out on anything if I skip the whole Gwent stuff?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hopper posted:

Also, first inn and already confused by Gwent. I am not a fan of card games and deck builders even less. Will I miss out on anything if I skip the whole Gwent stuff?

Gwent only begets more Gwent.
(Rewards from playing are mostly cards)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

Yes(?), but I didn't play gwent much either. There's some fun stuff every now and again, and 2 small quests, but it's not worth it if you don't want to play it.

That said, try to play it a little more a few hours down the line. It's kinda cool in that it's less about winning and more abotu bluffing your opponent into overextending and losing (except on the final round :black101:)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Note for the Gwent-averse: Zoltan has a quest for you in Novigrad to find some rare gwent cards. It does not involve actually playing gwent and it has some great dialogue in it so you should definitely do it. You can also choose to get your reward in the form of cold hard cash if you like.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
did they nerf alchemy since blood and wine came out? I reinstalled to finish up my third play through and I can't tell if I'm forgetting something or what. I can only have one decoction active at a time now, instead of two. I've got heightened tolerance active and the + to toxicity for every recipe skill as well but one decoction puts me at 70%

help, thread

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Take your skills off and put them on again

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hopper posted:

others have said it but you're not really missing out on anything, there are a few Gwent-related quests and most of the big set-piece events (funeral, party, wedding etc) have Gwent as an activity but it's just a thing you can do

that said you should do Zoltan's quest in Novigrad as mentioned since it is cool and doesn't actually require playing Gwent

when you get to the Hearts of Stone expansion, at the wedding the very first thing you should do is play Gwent with the halflings and LOSE

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

that said you should do Zoltan's quest in Novigrad as mentioned since it is cool and doesn't actually require playing Gwent

what did everyone do with that guy that ran into the sewers? I ended up offing him then and there so I wouldn't have to put up with his nonsense later

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

:3: :3: :3: :3: I love that Geralt is always the best at dadding

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 23, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

naturally he keeps it next to his fisstech stash

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

okay now I want an entire expansion as Vlodimir-in-Geralt

This dancing is great

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeJF posted:

okay now I want an entire expansion as Vlodimir-in-Geralt

This dancing is great

did you lose Gwent to the halflings?

if not restart the wedding and do that first :v:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
What's with the season pass not being on sale whenever the GOTY edition is? I've finished the base game ages ago and want to move onto the DLC already.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-23-the-making-of-the-witcher-3s-greatest-villain

Eurogamer just released an article discussing everyone's favorite immortal glass merchant and wooden spoon enthusiast, Gaunter O'Dimm.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Khagan posted:

What's with the season pass not being on sale whenever the GOTY edition is? I've finished the base game ages ago and want to move onto the DLC already.

The season pass is still selling well on GOG, they're not going to lower the price anytime soon.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
Hoping someone in here can help provide me with a savegame from the first game. Hopefully one just after the Azar Javed fight why have I spoiler tagged a 9 year old game? in Chapter 5, via the neutral path.

I hosed up by playing on Easy because I wanted to race through it for the story before I play 3, and hardly bothering with signs, potions or oils (I can't even craft oils or bombs yet) which has worked fine so far but now this fight is destroying Geralt who I think is still using his original sword and armour because I'm terrible. So if no-one has a savegame like the one I mentioned I will also accept tips on cheesing this fight.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

mark-p87 posted:

Hoping someone in here can help provide me with a savegame from the first game. Hopefully one just after the Azar Javed fight why have I spoiler tagged a 9 year old game? in Chapter 5, via the neutral path.

I hosed up by playing on Easy because I wanted to race through it for the story before I play 3, and hardly bothering with signs, potions or oils (I can't even craft oils or bombs yet) which has worked fine so far but now this fight is destroying Geralt who I think is still using his original sword and armour because I'm terrible. So if no-one has a savegame like the one I mentioned I will also accept tips on cheesing this fight.

Might be able to hook you up, I'll get off work in a few hours and I'll check if I still have my save files.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mark-p87 posted:

Use Full Moon, Wolverine and WIllow potions to help you gently caress him up. FM doubles your life, WOlverine does as his namesake, and WIllow prevents knockdowns.
Try this thread.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/915112-the-witcher/43011617

and then this one.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/618463106381150897/

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks guys, potions-wise I'm struggling as I've had no potion bases since god knows when, and only have saves going back to earlier in Chapter V so not sure if I can get hold of the formulas... pretty much everything up to now has been way easy (I'm sure the game even says you don't need alchemy when you select to play on Easy).

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

mark-p87 posted:

Here you go. This should be what you need - Geralt is in the Old Manor in Chapter 5, ten minutes away from the boss fight. Because this is from a completionist run I was doing, Geralt is decked out in his ultimate armor (Raven's Armor), has the two best swords in the game, and is currently buffed up with several potion effects for the fight. He's also on the neutral (a.k.a., Witcher) path, as requested - although Geralt did side with the Scoia'tael in the bank heist in Chapter 3, he didn't side with them during The Choice in Chapter 4, so he's neutral, albeit sympathetic towards the elves. He also romanced Triss and gave her a ring, but broke up with her at the start of Chapter 5. Sorry if any of those don't jive with your current playthrough (although TW2 will really only care what path you were on and whether or not you saved Adda, which this save game did).

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Awesome, thanks, I'll download it tomorrow and check it out. It's close enough for me in terms of my choices so far, I've already played 2 but it'll be good to have a save to carry into it for my next playthrough rather than going in blind like last time.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Someone mentioned a mod that hides the minimap unless you witcher sense, anyone got a link? I can't find it on nexus. I downloaded one that hides the minimap but is supposed to point to objectives, but I can't even follow Johnny without losing his blue rear end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moose-Alini posted:

Someone mentioned a mod that hides the minimap unless you witcher sense, anyone got a link? I can't find it on nexus. I downloaded one that hides the minimap but is supposed to point to objectives, but I can't even follow Johnny without losing his blue rear end.

Isn't this an option in the game, under HUD configuration?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Noir Witcher would be too loving awesome for this totally uncool world of ours to happen

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Moose-Alini posted:

This is the one.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/312/

The mod as presented isn't compatible with current versions, but someone in the Posts section has a link to an updated version that worked for me with 1.31.

That being said, I've now switched over to ToggleMinimap, which turns the minimap and questlog on and off with a single click of the left thumbstick.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1793/

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Probably my most played single player game ever

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

did you lose Gwent to the halflings?

if not restart the wedding and do that first :v:

I did. I'm wearing them for the rest of the game.

On an unrelated note holy poo poo I just saw the painting of Dandelion slaying the dragon in chameleon.

On another unrelated note, witchcraft!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 24, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod that lets me keep the clock for ingame time but removes the minimap?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Wooh boy, Toad Prince on NG+ Death March is straight up impossible for me. Some of his attacks go straight through quen and he has enough HP for the fight to take like 20 minutes it feels like. I manage to trap him for a bit with Yrden to get some good hits in but I can't keep dodging his attacks, hell I think one of them actually goes through the dodge invincibility frames to hit you which is something no other enemy has ever done. Wanted to get HoS done again before initiating the final main quest but no dice, just gotta finish the game for my sweet, sweet plat trophy and lower the difficulty if I want to try again.

I know I have to at least go through BaW again afterwards though since on my first playthrough I chose the less cool path at the end. Going to go for getting Dandelion to chum with me at the end too. Approximately 280 hours of this game played so far, jesus christ I can't stop why did I buy the expansions.

e: second playthrough random thoughts: Holy wow you can be a bad dad. Taking the emperor's money in front of Ciri was such a disgusting moment, Geralt just stands there with his arms extended as he gets coins put into his hands one by one as Ciri watches, seemingly about to throw up. He looked so much like a pathetic moneygrubbing Nilfgaard dog there. Amazing. Also beat the poo poo out of Ciris friend and got us kicked out of the camp. Geralt is the worst!

I'm also amused that the Skellige isles seem to do the best if you just do nothing - Svenrige turns out to be a great ruler. The other candidates seemingly died though so that's a bit sad.

e2: also just remembered, shoving Djikstra? Means beating him to the ground and then snapping his loving leg. Yeeeah I didn't get any more quests for him surprisingly.

smuh fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 25, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Gwent Closed Beta has started. The first wave of keys has been sent out.

I didn't get one.

That's... that's fine.

It's cool.

No biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
At a minimum, the new Gwent has the best card-purchase mechanic of any of these drat games.

https://twitter.com/PlayGwent/status/790864441894199296

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 25, 2016