Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Civilization VI: Mount Kilimanjaro is Not Wi-Fi Enabled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I mean the Chichen Itza thing is just offensive when V had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Brannock posted:

I mean the Chichen Itza thing is just offensive when V had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Ha2LHxiIA

Oh drat I forgot how good that was.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
whatever tech gives you mech infantry:

"One does not simply walk into mortars"

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
holy poo poo turns are taking forever (10 players, ssd, turn 400)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like to think they mic'd up Sean Bean in secret and recorded the musings he verbalises on a day to day basis.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why isn't there a regenerate starting position? Why isn't there a world builder? So many super great features from Civ4 just forgotten. Also the UI is awful.

I'm also not sure what good city placement looks like anymore, I understand that districts can somehow affect multiple cities, but it seems very unintuitive how that exactly works. Oh and builder charges suck, as do trade routes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I still haven't heard anything regarding modding, how's it faring? There's no mention of it on the Steam page, even though they mentioned how great it would be prelaunch.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I haven't noticed turns being particularly long myself and I've no SSD. Make sure you have quick movement and quick combat enabled.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Brannock posted:

Oh, this brings up another minor complaint I have about Civ 6, you can't access the Civilopedia from the main menu, you have to load a game first.

Chichen Itza: "The Great Ball Court is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator." -- IslaDeb

Mt. Kilimanjaro: "As it turns out, Mount Kilimanjaro is not wi-fi enabled, so I had to spend two weeks in Tanzania talking to the people on my trip." -- Nancy Bonds

Yeah the second is a little funny but the first is hilariously bad; especially considering the narration was seriously the high point of V

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like how cleopatra keeps looking at your dick when she disses you.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So what is the most Trade heavy/Gold Making civ? I Miss Venice

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Brannock posted:

Oh, this brings up another minor complaint I have about Civ 6, you can't access the Civilopedia from the main menu, you have to load a game first.

Chichen Itza: "The Great Ball Court is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator." -- IslaDeb

Mt. Kilimanjaro: "As it turns out, Mount Kilimanjaro is not wi-fi enabled, so I had to spend two weeks in Tanzania talking to the people on my trip." -- Nancy Bonds

Yeah, a ton of the quotes were terrible. That's what happens when you let people try to put humor in a game where it doesn't fit. It just ends up stupid.

(Except for Sputnik being "Beep beep beep." Nemoy, we will mourn you till we join you.)

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
For anyone interested, I'll be streaming Civ 6 in about an hour, give or take 15m.

https://www.twitch.tv/golden_battler

Come hang out if you feel like it. I'll probably be playing the Aztecs on Emperor, mainly because I want to test out a gimmick I thought of last night.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some of the quotes are okay and humourous, but yeah the ones quoting blogs seem, like, disrespectful or something, I dunno

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I tried pushing the game to see what difficulty I should settle down on, I started a quick pace game on a small map with Gilgamesh on Emperor.

On the one hand the War-cart goonrush is a good time and I was cranking out one cart every two or three turns. I wiped France off the map and turned my sights on Brazil.

On the other hand, the minute they got walls up and running my momentum fizzled into nothing and I had to stop and start building. Unfortunately the AI bonuses on Emperor are too much for me for now. I think it's time to go back to King.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

orcane posted:

How do you stop the AI from spamming their religion all day long if you don't want to go to war with them yet? I can't afford to keep as many apostles around as you apparently need, and the "stop converting my cities" promise is utterly useless (they just keep doing it for no penalty).

No one replied to this from a couple pages back.
1. Go to war even though you don't want to yet.
2. You can use an apostle to Launch Inquisition, which lets you build inquisitors fairly cheaply who are good at religion fighting in your home territory.
3. Inquisitors (at least, probably missionaries+apostles too) can heal by sitting on a holy district (maybe also a city center?) and skipping a turn.

So you build a wall of inquisitors just inside your borders and rotate them back to holy sites for healing as they get injured the way you would your military front line.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

edit: double post, woops

For some content, here's a picture of the Chinese Great Wall of inquisitors:

Note that the Japanese missionary in the screenshot is actually my religion and not his so I have left it alone. Not sure the AI can handle the case where their holy city gets converted very well.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 22, 2016

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Can cities not attack in this game??

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Dr. Carwash posted:

Can cities not attack in this game??

Build the wall(s), make your enemies pay for it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You also don't get any big notice when they can, you just have to see that there is as little crosshairs under the city and click on it to fire at anything nearby, it won't prompt you to.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This game's so fun. I'm hooked by civ again :shobon:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Petty complaint: I wish that Great Prophets were on the far left or the far right of the GP screen, so that when they run out there's not a hole in the middle of the screen for the rest of the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has anyone found a use for harvesting resources?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
I don't really mind lighthearted quotes, but they went a bit overboard. Almost every time you research a new tech you get a quote about how much it sucks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

I think if you do something like put a district on the resources it clears them but gives you nothing, so you can at least harvest it and get a tiny bump if you have a ton of the resource already and need the space?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I want an option that lets me half the amount of barbarians. They're just annoying!

And turns do feel like they take ages for me, maybe I do need quick combat on.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Does this game have LAN capability? To save money a few years back, my girlfriend and I used to use 1 copy of Civ to play over LAN- She'd log into my account, then switch to offline mode, and we were both able to play together with AI.

Would that be possible with Civ VI?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 22, 2016

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Well, here's my question. As a guy who usually builds tall, I'm finding it hard to get just the right place, but I have like, this phobia of putting out settlers too early. When is it generally a good idea to expand?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

FisheyStix posted:

Well, here's my question. As a guy who usually builds tall, I'm finding it hard to get just the right place, but I have like, this phobia of putting out settlers too early. When is it generally a good idea to expand?

3-4 pop is usually a good guideline I think

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Doredrin posted:

One of the quotes for a later patch/expansion absolutely has to be "One does not simply walk into Mordor."

https://www.facebook.com/civ/videos/10154497639330359/?permPage=1

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

splifyphus posted:

I didn't realize this before, but there's no way to rush build a city into awesomeness, so the later in the game you settle the less useful that city will be in the long run.

Going wide early and by any means necessary is the way to go, and production is the mondo yield of all yields.

There actually is, but it's quite late in the game. Settling a new city in your overlapping factory zone and setting up an internal trade route or two for it so it can build districts quickly and cash-rushing anything else can help a new city get off the ground pretty quick.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

SlothBear posted:

You also don't get any big notice when they can, you just have to see that there is as little crosshairs under the city and click on it to fire at anything nearby, it won't prompt you to.

Do you need any sort of tech for this?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

FYI. Having an SSD, or not, will have zero impact on turn times.
But yes, anything more than 'standard' 8 players seems to drastically increase the turn times.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dr. Carwash posted:

Do you need any sort of tech for this?

You need to build at least Ancient Walls in your city, unlocked with Masonry I think

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Another vote for the quotes being loving terrible. Some don't even make sense, like I built the Ruhr Valley wonder and the quote was about how the industrial heart of Germany was shut down and the rest of the country had to support them. Not sure how 'wonderful' that is. Hopefully someone whips up a Civ IV/V quote mod. Similarly the map is lovely, but everything else about the aesthetic I preferred Civ V. Particularly the leader heads, they were gorgeous in V.

On King at least, the tactical AI doesn't seem any better in VI. What should be an overwhelming AI force still mills around and gets slaughtered by two archers and a spearman.

Tech tree and unit roster seem a bit skimpy. Hit the industrial era in 1100 A.D.

UI has a ton of glaring issues as outlined. The only one that enrages is me is how I'll move a unit, select the next unit to move and before I can do anything the computer autoselects another unit on the other end of the continent and whips me over there so I misclick. :mad:

On the whole I'm having fun though. Seems like a step up from Civ V for sure as far as moment to moment gameplay.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Jay Rust posted:

You need to build at least Ancient Walls in your city, unlocked with Masonry I think

Ahhhh ok. Thanks~

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
does production costs of units/buildings rise when you build new cities?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Yes, for example marshes give +1 food, which is the same as a farm anyway. If you have extra build capacity and plenty of farms you can snag like 40 food instantly at no cost to your output.

But in general, things like forests are better than in previous titles and stack with hills for example, so harvesting is often a bad move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So far I'd say the game needs:

1) A production queue.
2) Team setting for multiplayer
3) Tooltips in city view being more expressive (why can't I hold over religious citizens to get a rough idea of what they follow, etc)
4) A way to turn off snapto for units, like Fintilgin said, I do that all the loving time.
5) Cleaning up of messaging. Tell me what wonder got researched, tell me who declared war on me, tell me what was built. Don't make me click at the bottom right (in multiplayer) every time and especially don't make me wait for the tooltip to appear for it!
6) More Barbarian settings
7) Renaming of cities!!
8) Fortify that turns your unit back on when enemies are near

That said they're all pretty small changes, nothing stands out as being entirely broken.