Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Don't worry.

We're already dead and this is hell.

How else did Donald Trump become the presidential nominee for one of the USA's major political parties?

This isn't our hell though because he's certain to lose and destroy the party for at least one midterm election, and that's because there are no longer enough white people to swing elections. We are in old white man hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

This isn't our hell though because he's certain to lose and destroy the party for at least one midterm election, and that's because there are no longer enough white people to swing elections. We are in old white man hell.

The best kind of hell.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Old white man hell is basically the best possible world

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

There's a few interesting actual scientific avenues for establishing if we actually are in [certain types of] a simulation, but so far they've all come back negative and set a ridiculously high upper bound in terms of how "accurate" the simulation would have to be. So either we're real, the universe is such a good simulation as to be indiscernable from the actual universe (in which case it would require a quantum computer at least the volume of the actual universe to simulate it so why bother), or the simulation is happening on a much smaller scale, controlling neural inputs matrix-style, in which case a) the so what clause applies, and b) this case can be reduced enough to show that simulating everyone on earth's experience is basically indiscernible from and equivalent to simulating a single random guy's experience and faking other people. If this is the case all the actual investigations to "break us out" are pointless since the simulation can just simulate the scientists trying to break out of the simulation.

More importantly, let's say that we prove beyond the shadow of doubt that we're in a simulation, it's possible to break out, and we succeed at doing so. Three big fuckin' impossible steps right there, but let's grant all of them.

Is that it? Do you think that they'll now be okay saying "yup this is the real world?"

Because, and here's the kicker for why this idea is so fuckin' stupid, even if they are right and they succeed and they break out and they see the true world for what it really is, if they were in a simulation before there's no reason for them to believe that they are now not inside a simulation. There's no upper limit to this stupid thing. Layers and layers and layers on up. The 'the universe that I am currently inside is simulated' postulate cannot be disproven- there can always be a more powerful computer, a grander conspiracy, a more sufficiently advanced alien.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Perhaps he would even be killed, as Plato intuited in his parable of the cave — surely the earliest form of simulation theory — but in that case our creators wouldn’t simply give up on us. They would raise him up, in an unmistakable sign of their power and glory, validating his message and inviting all who listen to join a higher level of existence.

Truly, such novel, unprecedented vistas open up from this entirely secular, materialist theory forged by smart atheists! It makes one wish urgently for a seat at Davos or Aspen, where such deep thoughts can be thunk.

... did this "smart atheist" just unironically invent Jesus?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Sin of Onan posted:

Tech Nerds Accidentally Create Religion In Search Of Having No Religion is fast becoming a cliche for a reason.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
do they think we are in the matrix and if we hack the matrix we can climb out of the pod we're in?

I mean, the other option is that we're all just the dream of some unimaginably powerful computational device, and in that case we can no more escape the simulation than Mario the plumber can jump out of my TV screen.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

do they think we are in the matrix and if we hack the matrix we can climb out of the pod we're in?

I mean, the other option is that we're all just the dream of some unimaginably powerful computational device, and in that case we can no more escape the simulation than Mario the plumber can jump out of my TV screen.

I think they generally go for the latter, and think if they can hack the computer they're running on they can escape into the internet of the universe doing the simulation.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
They don't know, but having Deep Thoughts about it is significantly more important than solving world hunger, curing cancer, or doing a single goddamn useful thing with their lives.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Sin of Onan posted:

It's a joke, which is why I linked the source so people knew I wasn't stealing said joke

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Somfin posted:

More importantly, let's say that we prove beyond the shadow of doubt that we're in a simulation, it's possible to break out, and we succeed at doing so. Three big fuckin' impossible steps right there, but let's grant all of them.

Is that it? Do you think that they'll now be okay saying "yup this is the real world?"

Because, and here's the kicker for why this idea is so fuckin' stupid, even if they are right and they succeed and they break out and they see the true world for what it really is, if they were in a simulation before there's no reason for them to believe that they are now not inside a simulation. There's no upper limit to this stupid thing. Layers and layers and layers on up. The 'the universe that I am currently inside is simulated' postulate cannot be disproven- there can always be a more powerful computer, a grander conspiracy, a more sufficiently advanced alien.

They only need to reach the layer where anime is real.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

sleeptalker posted:

They only need to reach the layer where anime is real.

Those fools! They're going in the wrong direction!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Future advanced cyborg human emulations to keep being arseholes

Improbable Lobster posted:

This just in: Tech morons keep accidentally creating religion

ikanreed posted:

A lot of nu atheists really lack the basic philosophy skills needed to actually be atheists.

They do, but some do OK: nu-atheist PZ Myers correctly nailed these bozos: they are literally using the same arguments as creationists.

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Don't worry.
We're already dead and this is hell.
How else did Donald Trump become the presidential nominee for one of the USA's major political parties?

DON'T YOU WISH YOU'D DONATED TO MIRI IN TIME

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

divabot posted:

They do, but some do OK: nu-atheist PZ Myers correctly nailed these bozos: they are literally using the same arguments as creationists.

Don't get me wrong. I've got absolutely nothing against being an atheist. Or even a neoatheist. I probably am one: smug condescending rear end in a top hat on the internet and everything.

Just the popularization of it has not been accompanied by the requisite amount of basic epistemology to approach fundamental questions in a great many people.

Edit: also I'm one of the drat comments on that article.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

It goes one further. One of the great hypothetical counter-arguments to Occam's Razor is 'the old lady down the street is a witch, she did it.' This is ludicrous on its face because it means that the old woman down the street has to exist, has to have existed, and has to continue to exist for all of the times when that phenomenon is observed; it presupposes that witches exist and that witches can cause whatever phenomenon is being observed to happen in the way that it did; it moves the issue of creation elsewhere- whence came the witches?- without resolving it; and it presupposes that this one witch was capable of causing the phenomenon every single time it is observed to happen, and was motivated to do so. It sounds simpler than a lot of things, but it isn't. It is far more complicated than any situation it is trying to explain.

These fuckers are saying 'there's an entire universe full of witches and they are actively doing everything.'

Somfin has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Oct 22, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Night10194 posted:

The whole 'we live in a super simulation' thing doesn't really pass the 'so what' test. I mean, if all of reality is how we perceive it and effectively physical law as we know it applies, and we live and die and experience the world as we do, what the hell would it even matter if it's a ~simulation~? It's effectively the same world and you could never prove the simulation theory anyway.

The simulation argument was a neat thought experiment providing a stealthy alternate proof of a "higher power" that I don't think its creator(s) really intended to be taken this seriously. But, it does go into some implications of this. One of which is that if we're being simulated, it's likely someone is watching the simulation. In which case it's to our benefit to either be someone interesting or be attached to someone interesting so that we're less likely to be, uh, "written out of the show," I guess. The appeal of this to certain political tendencies seems pretty clear, especially if you believe your wealth and power and success and writing fart apps for the iPhone make you "interesting." It implies you are basically God's chosen.

I think Vosgian Beast beat me to this but I can't stand reading whatever he quoted so idk for sure.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Somfin posted:

It goes one further. One of the great hypothetical counter-arguments to Occam's Razor is 'the old lady down the street is a witch, she did it.' This is ludicrous on its face because it means that the old woman down the street has to exist, has to have existed, and has to continue to exist for all of the times when that phenomenon is observed; it presupposes that witches exist and that witches can cause whatever phenomenon is being observed to happen in the way that it did; it moves the issue of creation elsewhere- whence came the witches?- without resolving it; and it presupposes that this one witch was capable of causing the phenomenon every single time it is observed to happen, and was motivated to do so. It sounds simpler than a lot of things, but it isn't. It is far more complicated than any situation it is trying to explain.

These fuckers are saying 'there's an entire universe full of witches and they are actively doing everything.'

The "simplest explanation" thing is kind of a gloss. Occam's razor is actually that you shouldn't multiply theoretical entities beyond necessity.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
National Review writer notices how terrible the alt-right is: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/441319/donald-trump-alt-right-internet-abuse-never-trump-movement

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The simulation thing is obviously ridiculous, but its weakest part (why would someone simulate me and everyone else, like this, a squintillion times?) is not clear to narcissists, so it makes a pretty good litmus test. Well, I suppose it draws in the Zeno-wannabe dropouts too.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

GunnerJ posted:

The simulation argument was a neat thought experiment providing a stealthy alternate proof of a "higher power" that I don't think its creator(s) really intended to be taken this seriously. But, it does go into some implications of this. One of which is that if we're being simulated, it's likely someone is watching the simulation. In which case it's to our benefit to either be someone interesting or be attached to someone interesting so that we're less likely to be, uh, "written out of the show," I guess. The appeal of this to certain political tendencies seems pretty clear, especially if you believe your wealth and power and success and writing fart apps for the iPhone make you "interesting." It implies you are basically God's chosen.

I think Vosgian Beast beat me to this but I can't stand reading whatever he quoted so idk for sure.

It's Last Thursdayism for geeks.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Oct 22, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Sin of Onan posted:

Jesus is a venture capitalist, and by demonstrating the skill and the willingness to get on your knees and suck a golfball through a garden hose verbally or practically, you can be His apostle and perhaps have some of the scraps or funding that He is tossing your way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

There was an anti-drug PSA that I was made to watch in middle school where it turns out being dead is being suspended on a bench in a cold black void next to other people who died the same way you did.

Wanna hang with the the erotic asphyxiation and/or sexual exhaustion crowd. They seem like they would be fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rush Limbo posted:

Wanna hang with the the erotic asphyxiation and/or sexual exhaustion crowd. They seem like they would be fun.

And if you hang too long, they rapidly get cooler.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
These billionaires supporting research into whether we're in a simulation reminds me incredibly of the Gilded Age high society spending untold amounts of money on mediums and seances.

Their money has made them completely detached from the rest of society, so they get these stupid ideas and nobody is willing to tell them the ideas are stupid because they can *ruin* you if they get offended.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

this is the monster they've been creating for, frankly, decades

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/789916005640335360

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" etc -- @dril

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man I never should have left.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

It's also the Evil Demon, or Brain in a Vat, or whatever thought experiment someone came up with in a more modern time compared to the previous attempt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_demon

So since at least 1641 people have been grappling with this issue, but the whole idea behind these kinds of questions is that a philosophical system can't be complete, or isn't sufficient to answer <x>, or whatever, until we come up with a solution to the problem. The people who come up with stuff like this don't actually believe any of it to be true.

It's like questioning whether we can "know" something to be true. It's pretty obvious we can know something to be true, but from a purely philosophical perspective, is our belief actually knowledge, or just the appearance of? *eerie keyboard noises*

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Don't worry guys, Wesley never really stopped caring about politics! He remains a source for horrible political opinions that he's afraid will get him purged by Anil Dash or somesuch. Because if anyone who employs him were to find out about his embarrassing online posting career, he'd be promptly fired, and that's the fault of the commies.

https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/789880474072211456
https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/789880834094399489

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I suppose if someone was going to try and claim that the Nazis weren't fascist enough, this would be the person and time for it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if it's already been posted but someone suggested I post this hilarious article here

Is This Economist Too Far Ahead of His Time?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

Don't worry guys, Wesley never really stopped caring about politics! He remains a source for horrible political opinions that he's afraid will get him purged by Anil Dash or somesuch. Because if anyone who employs him were to find out about his embarrassing online posting career, he'd be promptly fired, and that's the fault of the commies.

https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/789880474072211456
https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/789880834094399489

then why do you call yourself a fascist, wesley

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't call myself a federalist

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

I don't call myself a federalist

Sometimes I call myself an anti-monarchist just in case someone mistakenly thinks I want a king to rule America.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Curvature of Earth posted:

Sometimes I call myself an anti-monarchist just in case someone mistakenly thinks I want a king to rule America.

Occasionally I'll announce that I'm a Monarchist, then see who tries to high-five me, and if it's not a cute girl I'll say "SIKE" and then report them to the local officials

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Curvature of Earth posted:

In Australia that makes me a Republican (one who wants a republic instead of a monarchy) (which is a minority position). Most republicans aren't Liberals, who are conservatives.

Why don't these monarchists just move to a monarchy like Australia or the UK?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

In Australia that makes me a Republican (one who wants a republic instead of a monarchy) (which is a minority position). Most republicans aren't Liberals, who are conservatives.

Why don't these monarchists just move to a monarchy like Australia or the UK?

They (by which I mostly mean Moldbug, I guess) want anti-populist hereditary autocracy, not the title "King" or "Queen."

The kind of governments they want never really existed for very long at any point in history anyway (monarchies have often been less absolutist in practice than their propaganda suggests, and hereditary succession is rather unstable).

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Oct 25, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, pretty sure modern constitutional monarchy is the exact opposite of what alt-right monarchists want.

Have any of those dudes ranted about constitutional monarchies creating WEAK, TAINTED LINES like the slightly-silly-looking Prince Charles, instead of the pure, powerful blood of the Habsburgs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, pretty sure modern constitutional monarchy is the exact opposite of what alt-right monarchists want.

Have any of those dudes ranted about constitutional monarchies creating WEAK, TAINTED LINES like the slightly-silly-looking Prince Charles, instead of the pure, powerful blood of the Habsburgs?

I just watched a Vice Documentary about polygamists in Utah today and yeah... They frequently interbreed to keep blood 'pure'