Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do MNK dots benefit from having Dragon Kick up? It doesn't really specify what damage type the dot is so I dunno if it's blunt or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So i have a snowball's chance in hell of rolling a character on gilgamesh this morning right? What with it being saturday morning?

Do any of the popular servers open up on the wee weekend hours? Or should i just try in the middle of the week?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do MNK dots benefit from having Dragon Kick up? It doesn't really specify what damage type the dot is so I dunno if it's blunt or not.

The dots are unaspected physical damage, so they do not.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Talkc posted:

So i have a snowball's chance in hell of rolling a character on gilgamesh this morning right? What with it being saturday morning?

Do any of the popular servers open up on the wee weekend hours? Or should i just try in the middle of the week?

If you want to play with literally hundreds of goons, you want Excalibur, not Gilgamesh

Also its random when you can get in but early morning central? time for character creation seems to be the most likely time

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

boy are my arms tired posted:

If you want to play with literally hundreds of goons, you want Excalibur, not Gilgamesh

Unless you play during European hours. In that case, if you want to play with literally hundreds of goons, you're poo poo out of luck. (But play on Excalibur anyway)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Even if you were doing a full 1-50 run avoiding as many fights as possible you'll easily reach 60 well before the endboss, especially since the only difficult fights are in the last set and they throw hordes of rooms filled with three or more enemies at a minimum.

The thing is, this was true BEFORE they buffed your EXP gain in there, so now it's just extremely true.

Nothing will ever bug me as much as tag alongs. If there are two routes, left and right, why on earth are all three of you following me to the left if we're before floor 30 at the earliest? I hate it, it makes me want to bail and take a debuff. Or the DRG who comes to cherry tap my mob instead of just starting on the one in the other half of the room.

Or ASTs and SCH who cross class protect in their first slot when we're running 1-10 instead of Cleric. I don't give a poo poo about protect in 1-10, go cleric, don't leave it and you have pretty comparable DPS to the DPS at this point anyway.
What's especially great is the players who think "oh gently caress, there's a chest over there and there's someone running towards it, I should get the whole team to go open it because it's definitely a 4 man job to open the chest." Oh it exploded, of course it did and now three people are nearly dead instead of one. And then there's the fuckos who decide "I'm going to stick with you like glue so that I can trigger a pacification trap and catch you in it or kill you with a mine". Pretend it's real life and that I have personal space and you shouldn't enter it and my personal space is "about the same size as the trap area" big unless it's a tough enemy or boss. And the melee range dudes who use sprint at the start of a floor and immediately run into an enemy and have no TP to actually fight the thing they've run into. People who run out of the teleporter to give me Stoneskin. I don't care about that either, I don't need it. Summoners who don't summon their pet the second the hit level 4. People who don't use a Strength pomander until the final boss. People who use alteration when it gives level 60 mimics who resist stun. I've even had people who say "Don't use Flight" when we have no Fortunes.

Actually lots of things bug me equally badly about POTD, it's like an amplifier for annoying player behaviours. gently caress POTD, really.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The thing is, this was true BEFORE they buffed your EXP gain in there, so now it's just extremely true.

Nothing will ever bug me as much as tag alongs. If there are two routes, left and right, why on earth are all three of you following me to the left if we're before floor 30 at the earliest? I hate it, it makes me want to bail and take a debuff. Or the DRG who comes to cherry tap my mob instead of just starting on the one in the other half of the room.

Or ASTs and SCH who cross class protect in their first slot when we're running 1-10 instead of Cleric. I don't give a poo poo about protect in 1-10, go cleric, don't leave it and you have pretty comparable DPS to the DPS at this point anyway.
What's especially great is the players who think "oh gently caress, there's a chest over there and there's someone running towards it, I should get the whole team to go open it because it's definitely a 4 man job to open the chest." Oh it exploded, of course it did and now three people are nearly dead instead of one. And then there's the fuckos who decide "I'm going to stick with you like glue so that I can trigger a pacification trap and catch you in it or kill you with a mine". Pretend it's real life and that I have personal space and you shouldn't enter it and my personal space is "about the same size as the trap area" big unless it's a tough enemy or boss. And the melee range dudes who use sprint at the start of a floor and immediately run into an enemy and have no TP to actually fight the thing they've run into. People who run out of the teleporter to give me Stoneskin. I don't care about that either, I don't need it. Summoners who don't summon their pet the second the hit level 4. People who don't use a Strength pomander until the final boss. People who use alteration when it gives level 60 mimics who resist stun. I've even had people who say "Don't use Flight" when we have no Fortunes.

Actually lots of things bug me equally badly about POTD, it's like an amplifier for annoying player behaviours. gently caress POTD, really.
Who gives a poo poo if it's optimal, PotD is incredibly easy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some of it's just minor nitpicks, sure, some of it adds a bunch of time to a dungeon that isn't necessary. It's not about ease or lack of it though really. Just about annoying poo poo people do in the POTD.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You only start to get annoyed by bad PotD habits when you run it a shitload of times anyway.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
hmm yea I guess getting annoyed by what people do in poopy of the dumb is a good use of time and energy

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I really want to get to the bottom of why the Market Board crashes every weekend. Is it kids that finally get off school and dump all the stuff they've gathered over the week onto the board for insanely low prices? Is it Gil billionaires who's taken it upon themselves to undercut absolutely everything on the MB every Friday evening? Is it the kids get off school thing but working adults instead which makes it worse since they should know better?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

boy are my arms tired posted:

hmm yea I guess getting annoyed by what people do in poopy of the dumb is a good use of time and energy

Same but with posting

edit: for real though if you're trying to stop Josuke from being mad about something hoo boy are you in for a challenge

As for me, I just had a bad night filled with idiots

Runa fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 22, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dastardly posted:

I really want to get to the bottom of why the Market Board crashes every weekend. Is it kids that finally get off school and dump all the stuff they've gathered over the week onto the board for insanely low prices? Is it Gil billionaires who's taken it upon themselves to undercut absolutely everything on the MB every Friday evening? Is it the kids get off school thing but working adults instead which makes it worse since they should know better?

It's funny, because in every other MMO I played, prices go up during weekends, due to more people playing the game and buying poo poo. In most all other MMOs, crafting is a thing you click a couple times and it happens, and you've just created 10 items. It doesn't require rotations, gear, the "leveling" required happens at a fairly natural pace, usually while leveling your main class (and is in fact encouraged). Here, it's the opposite. To get into crafting is a pretty long undertaking, I've been a 4* wvr, crp, alc for weeks now, but they're still my only crafters at 60 because it's taking me so long to level the others.

So, If I had to take a guess, it's because crafting. Since crafting is a whole game of its own, rather than something you can do for 5 minutes every week to catch up in level to your main class, and has a relatively high bar of entry (mostly just a lot of time these days, getting to 60 is pretty cheap if you don't mind taking the time), not many people who play mostly just on weekends go into it. Instead, they just dump all their poo poo on the MB, undercutting the next guy so it sells, driving the prices down.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

https://gfycat.com/FreshWelltodoAustralianshelduck

We also killed that loving fight so yay?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think PotD is so piss easy that I really don't care if people do dumb poo poo or play it sub-optimally or whatever because it's not like we're ever gonna wipe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Same but with posting

edit: for real though if you're trying to stop Josuke from being mad about something hoo boy are you in for a challenge

As for me, I just had a bad night filled with idiots

Having a good old whinge is mana for the soul.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Augus posted:

I think PotD is so piss easy that I really don't care if people do dumb poo poo or play it sub-optimally or whatever because it's not like we're ever gonna wipe.

now I did say it was a bad night filled with idiots, but I don't think I went into enough detail as to how bad it was

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Talkc posted:

Refresh this page at the time intervals listed. I got my roommate a character made in the afternoon on a saturday.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

:siren:This is the page you should be looking at if you want to make a new char on excal (or any high pop server).:siren:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Random question, is there a reason every va was replaced after ARR? Some I won't be sad to not have to hear anymore, like Minfilia, but I like Y'shtola, Yda and Papalymo, and everyone else is serviceable at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They got a new british studio probably either due to money, location, and/or availability of va.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Augus posted:

Ahahah *three slow rear end randoms at the end of a horrible 41-50 don't turn away from Edda so she wipes the group and wastes everyone's 50 minutes*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder if they'll retire Yugiri out of respect for Sian Blake. Obviously, she's not the most prominent character anyway, but still, it's a thing Japanese companies sometimes do when their VA's die.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

:eyepop:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tommy Hearns cosplay in FFXIV? It's more likely than you think... apparently.
Cool as gently caress though if that's the intent.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Augus posted:

Do you just not ever do any floor set besides 1-10?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
canon

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Do you just not ever do any floor set besides 1-10?

I wouldn't call 11-30 any harder honestly, I haven't gotten 31 and above yet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It only really starts requiring you to start going as a group and teaming up from 31 onwards. You can make do alone in 31-40, but it's not ideal.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Speaking of PotD, I freaking love how much better Succubus is now. That form busts bosses ridiculously hard with the vulnerability stacks actually affecting Void Fire 2s damage. Doing 1700 to Edda every cast is really nice.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dastardly posted:

As Part Of The Problem, it's self-perpetuating. All it takes is one person trying to get the quick sale "before it crashes" to start the fire that burns everything down.

If something is at 10k on Friday, surely listing for 7k will mean it sells quickly enough that I make some money before it ends up falling down to 4k on Saturday-night like it often tends to? "I want/need the money now" (hint: this is a big part of the issue), might as well take a loss upfront rather than suffer it in several days time.

Another big issue is that in every other MMO, markets don't literally stall out, because of the ability to buy items piecemeal from a listing actually exists. A massive amount of poo poo in the game ends up choking itself out because people list things in quantities of >1 and people don't want to buy in such amounts, opting instead to not pay the convenience tax and just get the item themselves or ask an acquaintance to do so. So the ever growing thirst for profit is drowned on both sides due to people being too lazy to list things in small quantities but simultaneously not being so willing to pay the "convenience tax", as it were.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Emalde posted:

As Part Of The Problem, it's self-perpetuating. All it takes is one person trying to get the quick sale "before it crashes" to start the fire that burns everything down.

If something is at 10k on Friday, surely listing for 7k will mean it sells quickly enough that I make some money before it ends up falling down to 4k on Saturday-night like it often tends to? "I want/need the money now" (hint: this is a big part of the issue), might as well take a loss upfront rather than suffer it in several days time.

Another big issue is that in every other MMO, markets don't literally stall out, because of the ability to buy items piecemeal from a listing actually exists. A massive amount of poo poo in the game ends up choking itself out because people list things in quantities of >1 and people don't want to buy in such amounts, opting instead to not pay the convenience tax and just get the item themselves or ask an acquaintance to do so. So the ever growing thirst for profit is drowned on both sides due to people being too lazy to list things in small quantities but simultaneously not being so willing to pay the "convenience tax", as it were.

I think it was a dispelling prism or something that had a shitton of 99 quantities yesterday and I can't afford that poo poo, so I went and bought a single one for a few thousand Gil. I have no idea how the market works at all but I don't buy more than I need because it's there.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I hope you don't mean a glamor dispeller.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, those are like 500 gil from a vendor.

Before you buy anything in this game, crafting mat, prism or whatever, go to xivdb and search for it and check if it's in the shops.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
drat it, I'm a loving moron

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

At least it was a relatively cheap lesson

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Emalde posted:

It's not really laziness on the seller's end though. When most people can only have 40 auctions up at once, they're not going to list a bunch of iron ore one chunk at a time. The game is designed for most trade goods to be sold in bulk. And honestly I'm glad for it, because one thing I always hated in WOW was how every idiot with the auctioneer addon would post a billion single-item auctions that you could only buy one at a time. And they usually had the best price, because people are idiots.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing to do is just play that by ear for the item you're listing. If there are only stacks on the board, list some singles. If it's all singles, list a reasonable bunch, like 5's or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Oh my god

I don't usually run into PotD pubbies who insist on trying to kill every enemy in every room, but having to deal with them in three different, non-consecutive runs tonight was driving me bonkers. It's really bad when a full party takes as long to clear a set as it would've taken me to speedrun it solo.

Even if you were doing a full 1-50 run avoiding as many fights as possible you'll easily reach 60 well before the endboss, especially since the only difficult fights are in the last set and they throw hordes of rooms filled with three or more enemies at a minimum.

Every person who complains about stubborn pubbies sticking by the open Passage cairn is part of the problem, because the stubborn pubbie is right. Especially if all the treasure chests were already looted.

The solution is to kite the last room's mobs to the cairn.

• Locked thread