Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Real hurthling! posted:

same. it would be nice to have an accelerator for vehicles if there's gonna be 3rd party stuff

how about a set of joycons with a tiny little racing wheel on one and pedals on the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/21/nintendo-switch-nx-controller-concept/

I really hope N thought of this, or will shamelessly steal the idea. Custom controllers could be sweet or gimmicky. Worst off madcatz will probably make big fat joy con's for you fat hand havers. I want the controller that's a GameCube controller split in half on each side of the screen looking ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome :colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HyperPuma posted:

i heard the pro controller has an additional processor to help with game performance when youre playing on the tv
It has a fan that blows all the way to the dock and keeps your hands cool.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I wonder if analog triggers are in the mix this time.
They look like analog triggers from what little is shown of them.

HyperPuma posted:

how about a set of joycons with a tiny little racing wheel on one and pedals on the other
Jog Con Joy Con?

Bombadilillo posted:

I want the controller that's a GameCube controller split in half on each side of the screen looking ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome :colbert:
Bring back the GC keyboard controller :v:

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 22, 2016

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

im hearing rumors that mario maker will be bundled with a touch screen joycon

clever

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

I unironically wanted one of these, but now it seems kinda weird to me that they made it a nearly full size keyboard.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Did anything support this? Like,even the wii Web browser? What needed typing on the GameCube, besides rogue leader cheatcodes.

But seriously Nintendo broke into my house while i was sleeping and used my hands as a mold for the GameCube controller. It's ergonomically the most comfortable device I've ever held.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 22, 2016

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

HyperPuma posted:

im hearing rumors that mario maker will be bundled with a touch screen joycon

clever

If this is the case, that might solve the transition for Splatoon too. I'm not going to call inkstrikes through a button combination.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Did anything support this? Like,even the wii Web browser? What needed typing on the GameCube, besides rogue leader cheatcodes.

phantasy star online

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If the Joycons have motion/gyro in them (I think it's safe to say they do) maybe we can get a new Piolt Wings where they can be used like a flight stick

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no one buys pilotwings

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the nintendo hating puppet likes nintendo again. the long crisis of puppet faith in nintendo is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKyH9wSleJk

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
it's too bad i likely won't survive to see this thing release but i'm glad it appears good

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

So what do you guys think in what innovative ways will Nintendo gently caress up the online connectivity side of Switch?

My money's on friend codes being back and Miiverse posting being downgraded to a few pre-set phrases like Mario Kart or Smash Bros.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm using Joy-Con controls!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Tender Bender posted:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Tender Bender posted:

lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hungry Bit posted:

So what do you guys think in what innovative ways will Nintendo gently caress up the online connectivity side of Switch?

Wired network connections will be unsupported and packet loss will make online games miserable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they will probably handle friends list time using My Nintendo and piggyback adding friends off of Facebook and Twitter infrastructure like they did with Miitomo, using the accounts you tied to that service.

The plus side, anyone you know it will be very easy to add. The bad side, strangers on the internet will be difficult to add.

Other plus side, in Miitomo there's no filter or anything, you can just type whatever the hell you want.

DeNA is handling all the networking stuff and they'll be better at it than Nintendo. But limited by whatever restrictions Nintendo places on them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can already send friend requests to whoever you want on Wii U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

You can already send friend requests to whoever you want on Wii U.

You have to know their username though. Piggybacking off of a social network, they can just show you a list of people you are already friends with on those social media clients and then you can just check off the ones you want, making it very easy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

greatn posted:

You have to know their username though. Piggybacking off of a social network, they can just show you a list of people you are already friends with on those social media clients and then you can just check off the ones you want, making it very easy.

They are not going to remove the ability to send friend requests by username.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Anyone out there excited to read friends list functionality fanfiction?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

can i navigate my friends list using motion controls?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

can i navigate my friends list using motion controls?

What friends?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

What friends?

friends are people you hang out with, maybe play a videogame

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

elf help book posted:

Anyone out there excited to read friends list functionality fanfiction?

Nintendo friends sit next to you. Or near you if they are 3ds friends.

Real hurthling! posted:

the nintendo hating puppet likes nintendo again. the long crisis of puppet faith in nintendo is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKyH9wSleJk

I hate this loving puppet. I get irrationally upset and think his agreements are invalid, even when he says "I don't like a thing" wrong puppet.

So why I'm saying, is now I hate switch and it will be bad.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 22, 2016

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Cartoon Man posted:

What friends?

The ones on the rooftop! They're waiting for you!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

greatn posted:

DeNA is handling all the networking stuff and they'll be better at it than Nintendo. But limited by whatever restrictions Nintendo places on them.

...they are?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i heard a good theory on the future of dedicated handhelds going away from the 8-4 podcast

Nintendo's big reveal of mario for iphone is the nail in the coffin for 3ds and the future of handheld only consoles. phones will now be the focus of nintendo's short play session games and where they put the games focused on the casual and young kid market. this frees them to make the switch less of a tank and more focused on core gamers since they won't be dealing with customer service over broken hardware for phone games that parents let their preteens play with and they can sell their casual games to a broader audience than core gamers.

the switch then becomes the home of traditional longer form handheld games as well as the traditional console game. its price can rise to reflect the union of these two systems in one and its sales are not required to be a run away success with the masses since the company is buoyed by their phone offerings. its battery life can be low because its more of a satellite to the home.

idk. strange times.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I wonder if Nintendo ruled out a dual screen approach, like a reverse Wii U. If you put a H265 decoder on the switch dock, that could offer dual-screen games.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

I wonder if Nintendo ruled out a dual screen approach, like a reverse Wii U. If you put a H265 decoder on the switch dock, that could offer dual-screen games.

The dock is designed to block the handset's screen, which seems like the most deliberate possible way of communicating that the system is a one-screen experience in all modes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

The dock is designed to block the handset's screen, which seems like the most deliberate possible way of communicating that the system is a one-screen experience in all modes.

well just logistically how would the system continue to put out a 1080p image for the tv and then start doing its 720p different image on the handset? if it were possible they would both look really bad.

when you plug it in, it overclocks and active cooling begins and it starts its console mode up. unless they put another tegra in the dock (they wont) you are only going to get one image at a time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RIP Etrian Odyssey

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

i heard a good theory on the future of dedicated handhelds going away from the 8-4 podcast

Nintendo's big reveal of mario for iphone is the nail in the coffin for 3ds and the future of handheld only consoles. phones will now be the focus of nintendo's short play session games and where they put the games focused on the casual and young kid market. this frees them to make the switch less of a tank and more focused on core gamers since they won't be dealing with customer service over broken hardware for phone games that parents let their preteens play with and they can sell their casual games to a broader audience than core gamers.

the switch then becomes the home of traditional longer form handheld games as well as the traditional console game. its price can rise to reflect the union of these two systems in one and its sales are not required to be a run away success with the masses since the company is buoyed by their phone offerings. its battery life can be low because its more of a satellite to the home.

idk. strange times.

I don't know. They put monster hunters on 3ds. That's not exactly bit sized. I'd welcome the unification myself. I don't take my 3ds everywhere, just if there's a road trip or airplane or something involved. Same places I will bring switch with me. There's somethings that the 3ds do with dual screens and 3rd that switch wont. It will be interesting to see. I am the 1% super gamers who likes the 3d, so I'll lament that loss.

I wouldn't trust anything they say about 3ds future though. Remember when the ds was announced it was explicitly to be alongside and NOT replace the Gameboy (until it took off)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
One thing I've noticed on YouTube, various podcasts I listen to, etc, all the usual suspects I would expect to loving hate this idea are super psyched and want to buy one right now.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

One thing I've noticed on YouTube, various podcasts I listen to, etc, all the usual suspects I would expect to loving hate this idea are super psyched and want to buy one right now.

The reaction is oddly more positive then I thought it would be. People who never owned a wiiU are making GBS threads on it. People who had one are excited about a refined version that's actually portable. Mainstream publications know what a tablet is, and one that plays Nintendo games is a cool idea to them.

If this is on the cheaper side I could see mainstream success similar to the wii.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

well just logistically how would the system continue to put out a 1080p image for the tv and then start doing its 720p different image on the handset? if it were possible they would both look really bad.

when you plug it in, it overclocks and active cooling begins and it starts its console mode up. unless they put another tegra in the dock (they wont) you are only going to get one image at a time.

It's definitely underpowered for displaying multiple 3D screens. But there's some WiiU-like scenarios that could plausibly work, like using one screen for inventory/map. Even if it meant downgrading the signal to 720p on the TV. I'm not suggesting it's a killer feature, just seems like it's a possibility without adding much in the way of cost or complexity. I'm very curious what they'll do with the dock, if it's just for full power / ventilation / HDMI, or if they intend to put more significant guts in it.

Considering how much the WiiU confused everyone and flopped I'm sure they're keen to keep the message simple. I enjoyed the second screen for Zelda though, and wouldn't mind it for BotW.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

idk. strange times.

This is what I believe as well. It's why they're marketing it as a home console, not a handheld. Ultimately they've understood that phones/tablets have evolved to the point that the pick-up-and-play crowd don't really want an additional, dedicated hunk of metal to play games. The reason why the Switch being portable is attractive is that it sounds amazing for multiplayer games like Splatoon and Mario Kart, as well as being generally easy to carry from place to place, not because you can play it on-the-go.

Of course, part of this is assuming that any Switch can work with any Dock, although I don't see why they wouldn't. There's nothing that distinguishes one dock from all the others, since I don't think they'll store data.

Escape Goat posted:

Nintendo has officially confirmed that the Switch will only run one screen at a time.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 23, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if the long-form 3DS titles like Monster Hunter, 2D Zelda, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, and Etrian Odyssey find their home on the Switch while other stuff moves to mobile, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

If better for monster hunter that way. If I'm home on wifi, why a I on a 3ds, not a tv. If I'm out and have time to monster hunt (that's not often) I can bring a tablet.

This is all exciting, gonna miss glassesless 3ds though.

I read that it's confirmed the dock does nothing but route av to a TV and charge. I.e. no mm ore processing power or anything happens in it. It's not going to be locked to a unit. It might have USB to charge proc on trolley peripherals maybe.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 23, 2016

• Locked thread