Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

both guns and sky wizards are actually extremely cool and good, but people use both of them in bad ways

Ironically, using god as a weapon and guns as a religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Perhaps you should stop going to Donald Trump rallies for your dating action if you're finding there's only 2 women present and there's already a line for both of them like they're port-a-potties.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AcidRonin posted:

An AI Goons at F1 this weekend in Austin?
Hatebrooks/Holdbrooks should be there, he sent out a snap yesterday from the track

Good news, I fixed the E21 brakes! Bad news, now I'm wondering wtf the shop was doing. Did a lazy flush by sucking bad fluid from reservoir and refilling with fresh then put on the pressure bleeder and went around the corners. Had some air on both passenger side calipers. There's a chance they'll soften up again and it'll make sense why they fought with them for so long but unless that happens I'm kind of disappointed. poo poo I even lent them my pressure bleeder to make it easier and they still couldn't get a firm pedal.

Oh well it stops, runs and mostly starts. Battery is in a pretty sad state from sitting, may have to replace but I'm going to see if I can bring it back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was getting tired of the ugly peeling leather steering wheel in my car, so I bought a £20 leather steering wheel cover from Mr. Steering in the UK. It looks like Wheelskins is the US equivalent.

At first, I found myself thinking "this is never going to fit, it's huge and all over the place".

And then suddenly it just sort of came together.

While it's obviously not quite the same as a new OEM steering wheel, it was only £20, and I'm extremely satisfied with the quality. The stitching wasn't super easy, but I think I managed quite well, everything looks symmetrical and tight. And the very dark navy blue color matches the interior color in my car perfectly.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 22, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, yeah, that looks pretty good. Passed the link on to a friend with a manky steering wheel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Be warned that it requires some stitching and knot-tying skill. Even though there are instructions and a link to a Youtube video showing how it's supposed to be done, I had to enlist my mom to help. It's a hell of a lot easier when you have one person to keep the leather stretched and another to do the stitching. And don't be afraid to really tug on the stitches, the included nylon/polyester/whatever synthetic-stuff string is ridiculously strong.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've seen a few of those kits installed recently and it's super cool.

My steering wheel has some pretty raunchy hand-lotion-wear but it's nowhere near as bad as the Celica one was. I'm sure I'll eventually end up with a car bad enough to need one of those.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That turned out looking really good, better than I expected a kit like that to look. How long did it take?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A couple of hours, but we had to redo the bottom section, because it wasn't tight enough around the spokes.

Someone who's done it a couple of times before could probably do it in 30 minutes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

A couple of hours, but we had to redo the bottom section, because it wasn't tight enough around the spokes.

Someone who's done it a couple of times before could probably do it in 30 minutes.

I did that once on an MX6, and it turned out well, but a) I had cuts almost down to the bone on my index fingers from pulling the nylon string, and b) it always felt like a kludge... it makes the wheel just a bit too thick, and the spokes always look wonky.

This is of particular importance to me right now, since the Toyota I bought has a steering wheel that's shredded from a lovely PO smoker owner.

I think I'll probably end up getting a different wheel from eBay instead of lacing on a cover.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Listening to Primus, drinking unusual booze, and thinking about 14" :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, having watched the rest of Black Mirror S3, the other episodes are a lot better than the first one.

Interesting there's a self-driving Land Rover concept car in the last episode, though the episode itself reminded me of Bugs.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Ok, having watched the rest of Black Mirror S3, the other episodes are a lot better than the first one.

Interesting there's a self-driving Land Rover concept car in the last episode, though the episode itself reminded me of Bugs.

The ending of the first episode made me smile, though. the part in the jail

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Self driving land rover... "bugs"... these are the robots we share the road with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm trying to put some big fuckoff hooks up and I can't find my goddamned stud finder.

I need a stud finder finder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Self driving land rover... "bugs"... these are the robots we share the road with.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugs_(TV_series)

They clearly had a deal going with Chrysler UK when they made the show:

They snuck in quite a few "interesting" cars if you check out the IMCDB page - when they had an episode with a car meant to be an ultra-high-tech future model, they use a McLaren F1.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 23, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seminal Flu posted:

This is of particular importance to me right now, since the Toyota I bought has a steering wheel that's shredded from a lovely PO smoker owner.

I think I'll probably end up getting a different wheel from eBay instead of lacing on a cover.

Mom's never smoked in hers, and her steering wheel is pretty rough now too. It's had a cover on it for a few years to cover it up.

And hers is 2 years newer than yours.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'm trying to put some big fuckoff hooks up and I can't find my goddamned stud finder.

Go buy a new one and use it. Sure fire way to find the old one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Just use a strong magnet to find the drywall screws and then mark them with masking tape. A pattern should emerge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Just use a strong magnet to find the drywall screws and then mark them with masking tape. A pattern should emerge.

I don't have any magnets!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Shameful. Everybody needs neo magnets. HF's got em for fucks sake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I mean, I had them, I just have no idea where they are.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Well you sure are screwed then

BTW, I have always found that stud finders are about as reliable as dowsing rods. gently caress that poo poo, I just use a magnet every time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only one I have handy is my screw-picker-upper and it's not all that strong.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got any dead hard drives around that you can open up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Got any dead hard drives around that you can open up?

Uh, yeah actually! Good idea!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I had them, I just have no idea where they are.

They're next to your stud finder.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Put several screws in the wall at random.

Anywhere that isn't a screw has a 90% of being where the stud is, while the screws mark the location of electrical wiring, water pipe, and gas supplies.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Paging STR, Rhyno needs a stud finder :smug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That feeling when a customer needs a lock cylinder for a vehicle he just bought because there isn't one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"bought"

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Navigated a road navigation rally tonight. First road rally, I've done some historic stuff before, naving and driving, but it's the first time I've done plot and bash in a while. Had a few cock ups, but it went well when we kept on track... most of the issues were with following the route as opposed to the plotting. Bloody great time though, can't wait to do another.

Had a wee poo poo the pants moment when we got stopped by a cop while trying to get unlost, but thankfully he was very chill when we explained what we were up to. The rally is obviously OK'd by the police, but we had been whipping about in a noisy old car so expected the worst :cop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

Paging STR, Rhyno needs a stud finder :smug:

He's not my type. :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

He's not my type. :v:

CSB to the chat thread, Dr CSB to the chat thread please.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am everybody's type.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

An assortment of magnets are legit useful in the garage. I just came inside from using one on the end of some bent allthread to fish a bolt out of and back into my XJ unibody rail through a hole 12" from where the bolt lives. I also ducttaped one to the end of a dowl a few months ago to fish out the inner axle from the tube when I was putting in a locker.

Fuckin' magnets man, how don't they work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stump posted:

Navigated a road navigation rally tonight. First road rally, I've done some historic stuff before, naving and driving, but it's the first time I've done plot and bash in a while. Had a few cock ups, but it went well when we kept on track... most of the issues were with following the route as opposed to the plotting. Bloody great time though, can't wait to do another.

Had a wee poo poo the pants moment when we got stopped by a cop while trying to get unlost, but thankfully he was very chill when we explained what we were up to. The rally is obviously OK'd by the police, but we had been whipping about in a noisy old car so expected the worst :cop:

That's awesome!! Great car, too!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy gently caress, the Cubs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy gently caress, the Cubs.

Holy gently caress the bandwagoners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Holy gently caress the bandwagoners!

Chicago is loving lousy with bandwagoners. I could give a poo poo about baseball.

• Locked thread