Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So what websites do you think Sully uses to move stuff? I has to be something extremely open because he doesn't get the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Really, what is a winch but a grappling hook for cars?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Those mud physics.

:eyepop:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo this is the best looking area in the whole game. like drat they did an amazing job with this place

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I wish this game let you roll around on your stomach like MGS4 and V. I want to see just how muddy I can get Drake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you could matrix dive in slow motion like Max Payne this would be the best game ever made

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So those mud splatters... I think those are the legendary Schrödinger's mud splatters. You don't know what kind of mud splatter is applied to the 4x4 until you move the 4x4.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Nathan Drake is already a dragon.

or a duck.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brutakas posted:

Nathan Drake is already a dragon.

or a duck.

Basically the same thing, really.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Meanwhile, in an alternate timeline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejzVnVH4fqs

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Sully isn't impressed with navigating by paper, charts, and stars. When he was sailing the only navigational tools were sacrifices to Poseidon and mating with helpful fishmen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sully is no racist. There are women of all races for him to lech on so he can't bring himself to dislike any of them.

Scotland was pretty lovely in terms of just travelling to places. This place at least makes it interesting in its interactivity. Cars are fun.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mud physics + water physics must be very hard to code.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
One thing I've always appreciated about the Uncharted games, especially the ones after the first one (but that one did it too to a lesser extent), are the breather moments you get after big elaborate setpieces, gunfights, and puzzles. While there wasn't a lot of action going on in Scotland, you were still doing things that were dangerous. The puzzles in Avery's Test Your Might cave were cool, there was a lot of platforming, some small gunfights and then a big huge setpiece (one of my favorite in the game) where you're having a huge gunfight while the final chamber crumbles around you, and you have to leap from crumbling pillar to crumbling pillar while also shooting dudes, so it was pretty strenuous. Then the game very nicely puts you in an area where it not only takes a while to get to any fight at all, but also is huge, pretty to look at, and makes it fairly obvious where to go next, complete with little stops to find treasures and collectables. There's no real danger, no real threat, just you, your buds, and a 4X4 with a winch. It's a good juxtaposition with all the action going on, and Uncharted 4 does it the best out of any of the games.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
Unrelated to the last video but Rafe's name was bugging the hell out of me until I saw Luke Cage and saw that one of its supporting characters was named Rafael which was shortened to Rafe. Through my whole play through I thought that Rafe was his last name and he just went by a last-name basis.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Do Americans always pronounce that name as "Nay-dean"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do Englishmen pronounce it "Nooster?"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Really Pants posted:

Do Englishmen pronounce it "Nooster?"

“Throatwobbler Mangrove”

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nefftine

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Ok maybe this is the place to ask. Why did old timey sailing ships travel to Brazil on their way 'round the Cape? That leg of the trip came up in the Jack Aubrey yarns I've read a few times as well, and googling mostly turns up stuff about the slave trade.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

ManSedan posted:

Ok maybe this is the place to ask. Why did old timey sailing ships travel to Brazil on their way 'round the Cape? That leg of the trip came up in the Jack Aubrey yarns I've read a few times as well, and googling mostly turns up stuff about the slave trade.
The south branch of the Gulf Stream goes that way. It's also a handy way to profit off the slave trade.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Cats must grow up differently in Madagascar. The Cabela's LP clearly showcased that proper African cat response for seeing a human was making an immediate beeline to attack regardless of circumstances

kalonZombie posted:

One thing I've always appreciated about the Uncharted games, especially the ones after the first one (but that one did it too to a lesser extent), are the breather moments you get after big elaborate setpieces, gunfights, and puzzles. It's a good juxtaposition with all the action going on, and Uncharted 4 does it the best out of any of the games.

Plus it's a total change in color palette and visible areas. We went from mostly confined spaces (even when you're outside)with blues, muted whites, and dark grays plus cliffs, snowfall, occasional brown grass patches, leafless trees, and mostly dark caves to big spaces, sunny skies, bright orange ground and rocks, green trees, grass, flowers and a few more animals around.
I don't remember if any of the other games did non-foreshadowing animal life like we've seen so far with the whale, lemurs, and the fossa.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

ManSedan posted:

Currents go in a loop, it's not a two-way highway. I asked the same question recently when my uncle got a boat through the Panama Canal, why he didn't just sail it home rather than putting it on a freighter, and the answer's that for the Pacific Ocean while he could have sailed from Seattle to Panama easily (nautically speaking, it's still a long trip) the return trip would need him to loop out to Hawaii to ride the current home.

Looking at that map, if they tried to sail straight down the African coast they'd run head-on into the Benguela current.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
That's awesome, but then how the gently caress did polynesians colonize hawaii? The currents go the wrong way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Equatorial cross current east then go north?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bozart posted:

That's awesome, but then how the gently caress did polynesians colonize hawaii? The currents go the wrong way.

They came from upriver.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

One thing I've always appreciated about the Uncharted games, especially the ones after the first one (but that one did it too to a lesser extent), are the breather moments you get after big elaborate setpieces, gunfights, and puzzles. While there wasn't a lot of action going on in Scotland, you were still doing things that were dangerous. The puzzles in Avery's Test Your Might cave were cool, there was a lot of platforming, some small gunfights and then a big huge setpiece (one of my favorite in the game) where you're having a huge gunfight while the final chamber crumbles around you, and you have to leap from crumbling pillar to crumbling pillar while also shooting dudes, so it was pretty strenuous. Then the game very nicely puts you in an area where it not only takes a while to get to any fight at all, but also is huge, pretty to look at, and makes it fairly obvious where to go next, complete with little stops to find treasures and collectables. There's no real danger, no real threat, just you, your buds, and a 4X4 with a winch. It's a good juxtaposition with all the action going on, and Uncharted 4 does it the best out of any of the games.

uncharted 4 is more downtime than not I think. I like it personally but some people prefer the more active pace in, say, uncharted 2

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bruceski posted:

Currents go in a loop, it's not a two-way highway. I asked the same question recently when my uncle got a boat through the Panama Canal, why he didn't just sail it home rather than putting it on a freighter, and the answer's that for the Pacific Ocean while he could have sailed from Seattle to Panama easily (nautically speaking, it's still a long trip) the return trip would need him to loop out to Hawaii to ride the current home.

Looking at that map, if they tried to sail straight down the African coast they'd run head-on into the Benguela current.

Incidentally, the Gulf Stream is how the Portuguese discovered Brazil independently of Columbus a few years later. One of their trading captains sailed a bit farther west than normal and discovered land.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bozart posted:

Land bridge.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

uncharted 4 is more downtime than not I think. I like it personally but some people prefer the more active pace in, say, uncharted 2

I'm one of those people that prefer Uncharted 2's pace.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Whereas I dug the platforming and the calm moments, and stealthed my way through a lot of the shooting sections.

I tend to do that when given the option, though. I'unno why.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Whereas I dug the platforming and the calm moments, and stealthed my way through a lot of the shooting sections.

A lot easier to think about your next move when you don't have bullets flying overhead. That's how I feel, anyways.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Part of me wonders if it's possible to run over lemurs. And if any of them yell at Drake about it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bluhman posted:

Part of me wonders if it's possible to run over lemurs. And if any of them yell at Drake about it.

You can't run over the lemurs. You kinda clip through them. I mean even if you could it would only be deserving of a game over.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

bobjr posted:

You can't run over the lemurs. You kinda clip through them. I mean even if you could it would only be deserving of a game over.

Drake! You've created a time paradox!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bobjr posted:

if you run over the lemurs the game should take control away from you and just

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Probably because the option is there now. Instead of every new area being a battle room that you have to offer enough sacrifices to the gods before you can escape.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

E: wrong thread.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2016

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So Chip how did you get your hands on a preview copy of Final Fantasy XV?

Although in all seriousness this was my favorite part of playing the game just Nate driving around with Sam and Sully shooting the poo poo, a nice little breather amid all the exciting setpieces.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

David D. Davidson posted:

So chip how did you get your hands on a preview copy of Final Fantasy XV?

Although in all seriousness this was my favorite part of playing the game just Nate driving around with Sam and Sully shooting the poo poo a nice little breather amid all the exciting setpieces.

I feel like Uncharted 4 is one of the most "real" games I've ever played, in the sense that the characters feel like real people. Obviously you have to make concessions for things like "Why do they just murder 45 people in a day and not seem even a little bothered by it?", but otherwise it's one of the absolute best games for making the characters relatable and authentic. The dialogue is virtually non-stop and rarely or never repeats, and the crew discusses just about anything under the sun. It's possible to get a nearly perfect sense of who a particular character is from the dialogue, without having to force any explanations with "As you know" segments.

One of the other games that comes to mind with how authentic the characters feel is The Last of Us, which happens to be by the same team.

• Locked thread