Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
What's y'alls preferred option for temperature/fan speed/etc. monitoring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HWInfo is my favorite, I just open the sensors window and right click - add to system tray whatever I want to keep an eye on. It seems to get the sensor data right more than anything else I've tried and you can set it to launch with windows and auto-minimize to the taskbar, etc.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a small Win7 tool like resource monitor that I can leave open on the side/corner of a screen or in a toolbar or something to show me some general resource stats (cpu/memory usage, etc)?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a small Win7 tool like resource monitor that I can leave open on the side/corner of a screen or in a toolbar or something to show me some general resource stats (cpu/memory usage, etc)?

rainmeter

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Process Explorer's graph window

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I use rainmeter with this skin: http://win10widgets.com/

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Slash posted:

Very cool, thanks for the suggestion.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm trying to pinpoint the cause of an extreme slowdown on my Win 8.1 computer. Navigating Firefox is slow as hell, games run slowly (even ASCII games) and so on. It starts every Saturday (I think) at some point in the morning and clears up in the evening. I can't find anything unusual in the task scheduler, and I don't have any antivirus program scheduled to run at a specific time.

Of course I realize one can never rule out malware. Still, Defender, Malwarebytes and Spybot can't detect anything, and it would be really odd for malware to run only one day a week.

Any suggestions as to where to look next?

Plan B is to flatten and reinstall, but I don't have much spare time, or space to back up all of my files for that matter :(

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Resource manager whilst it's on a go-slow to determine whether something is actually running?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Khablam posted:

Resource manager whilst it's on a go-slow to determine whether something is actually running?

I was watching it and disk/cpu/wifi usage didn't seem to be doing anything unusual. I'm a bit wary of the resource manager though, I remember last year I got some bitcoin mining malware (completely my own fault) which slowed everything to a standstill, yet resource manager said everything was fine.

Is it normal to have like a dozen copies of svchost runnning?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I was watching it and disk/cpu/wifi usage didn't seem to be doing anything unusual. I'm a bit wary of the resource manager though, I remember last year I got some bitcoin mining malware (completely my own fault) which slowed everything to a standstill, yet resource manager said everything was fine.

Use process explorer with admin permissions so it can see every process. If nothing still shows look to see if the system IS doing anything (fan activity, drives, etc) that can't be seen, this is assuredly a rootkit.

If you've had hidden processes in the past and didn't completely flatten and reinstall, start there.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this but I'm currently having a very strange problem. For some reason when playing Civ 6 it's causing Steam to use up a gigantic amount of my CPU power. As much as or more than even the game itself. It's so bad that I'm unable to record or stream the game because when the combined usage of Steam, Civ 6 and OBS studio hits 100% the recording cuts out. It's a big problem for me because, well, I've planning a lot of Civ 6 for my stream and youtube channel. It was going to be the majority of the content there for the forseeable future.

Other people are reporting similar things happening when they play Civ 6. Can any of you explain why this is happening and if there's a way to change it so I can actually stream the game?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Have you tried turning off the Stream overlay for the game by going into the game properties in your library?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Have you tried turning off the Stream overlay for the game by going into the game properties in your library?

Hmm. No I haven't. I'll have to test that later. Can't quit out at the moment because I'm in the middle of a multiplayer game.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yes, if you inspect them more closely they're all running diff system services (although sometimes malware hides among them).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just a heads up for anyone experiencing this: the latest Nvidia drivers have a bug where it fucks with the start menu and mail app in Windows 10. Start menu icons freeze while re-arranging them, and the mail app crashes when you open an email.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And I can tell you exactly how it is going to go.

Nvidia will deny bleeping everything.
Microsoft won't notice because of their own putting out fires.
People will complain for another ten and a half months.
EVENTUALLY it'll get fixed, but this will be about the time when Nvidia drops another generation or two into the legacy pile, horrific bugs intact, so those video cards won't work with games or Windows ever again.
Nvidia will somehow lose no market share because AMD's software bureau is running on a budget of $piecesOfString and Intel thinks that video-card-replacement integrated GPUs should only come on CPUs that cost $usedCar and require winning a lottery or smuggling from Japan to get.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dont be mean to me posted:

And I can tell you exactly how it is going to go.

Nvidia will deny bleeping everything.
Microsoft won't notice because of their own putting out fires.
People will complain for another ten and a half months.
EVENTUALLY it'll get fixed, but this will be about the time when Nvidia drops another generation or two into the legacy pile, horrific bugs intact, so those video cards won't work with games or Windows ever again.
Nvidia will somehow lose no market share because AMD's software bureau is running on a budget of $piecesOfString and Intel thinks that video-card-replacement integrated GPUs should only come on CPUs that cost $usedCar and require winning a lottery or smuggling from Japan to get.

Actually Nvidia already released new drivers today that fixed the issue lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, this is the year conventional wisdom gets thrown through a window.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 23, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And I thought the Cubs going to the series was crazy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is current favourite note app? I moved from Evernote to Onenote recently based on recommendations from the Android thread but I'm finding Onenote pretty bad compared to Evernote. I need something that has a decent Windows app and Android app, I would obviously rather not pay.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

B-b-but ATI AMD i-is just better!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

What is current favourite note app? I moved from Evernote to Onenote recently based on recommendations from the Android thread but I'm finding Onenote pretty bad compared to Evernote. I need something that has a decent Windows app and Android app, I would obviously rather not pay.

Unrelated but also a Windows question: can anyone tell me why Windows 10 insists on having the loving Input Indicator show up after every restart? I don't need to know my computer is set to English, it's the only language I speak.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Assuming Windows 10:

Windows considers dialects to be different languages. Check your language list in Settings: Time & language > Region & language.

What you did to remove the input indicator may not have told Windows to stop adding it. Check the setting for it before whatever you do to it on startup in Settings: Personalization > Taskbar > [both links under] Notification area (but 'Turn system icons on or off' should be enough).

A third-party thing may be turning it on at startup. Check your startup tasks in Task Manager: Startup. You can add more detail columns to the list by right-clicking one of the column titles.

For Windows 8.1:

The task manager thing holds but you'll have to go into Control Panel: Language for the list (still works in 10) and Control Panel: Notification Area Icons (and look for a system icon link) for the tray icon.

For 7:

The control panel bits for 8.1 work but for startup tasks you'll have to deal with msconfig or something.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 24, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

dont be mean to me posted:

Assuming Windows 10:

Windows considers dialects to be different languages. Check your language list in Settings: Time & language > Region & language.

I suspect it was this. I have English (NZ) and English (UK), I have removed UK now. See if that fixes it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Here's a blast from the past: What's the best IRC client nowadays?

I hop on various channels for support of various developer issues from time to time and I've been using the same unregistered copy of mIRC for literally 10 years...Help>About says Copyright 1996-2006

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I still use and own mirc and it's still supported and updated regularly.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Aside from mIRC, there's also HexChat which is a XChat fork that isn't dead. I liked it better than XChat proper, but I don't remember why.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

I hop on various channels for support of various developer issues from time to time and I've been using the same unregistered copy of mIRC for literally 10 years...Help>About says Copyright 1996-2006

Upgrade to the latest version of mIRC so that you'll have native unicode, ssl/tls and IPv6 support.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I still use mIRC because I bought the license years ago and I'm going to drat well use it until either it dies or I die.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I honestly can't see why mirc wouldn't be beyond adequate if not peachy for someone unless they're a hipstergoony goon-goon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Looking at the suggested HexChat. I like it because you can write scripts in something not mSL. That way I can move on to another excuse to not write the plugins I think it'd be nice to have other than "mSL is poo poo".

But yeah, I have no actual issue with mIRC, it's fine. Just seeing what else is out there.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I use Weechat, if you want a terminal client it's far and away the best one imo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Slash posted:

Can Rainmeter not monitor GPUs? I never see anyone integrate GPU temps and such into their skins.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can Rainmeter not monitor GPUs? I never see anyone integrate GPU temps and such into their skins.

AFAIK you just need something to feed the GPU information to the skin, Rainmeter doesn't do that stuff natively. People use plugins for it.

e: Seems like some dude made one? https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainmeter/comments/2rnp1p/my_detailed_cpugpu_status_skin_oc/

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I'm a fan of Quassel, both as a standalone client and as a core + clients distributed solution.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dumb audio question:

How does Windows 'decide' how to output sound? My motherboard has the standard 4 outputs: LR, Center/Bass, Rear LR, Side LR. I'm currently only using LR since I have crappy 2.1 desktop speakers (which don't have a dedicated bass connector, so I'm guessing the .1 happens because of the speaker response?). I'm guessing Windows is only outputting 2 channels and mixing the rear left/right into the front left/right when 5.1 info is available? Or is it being output and I just can't hear it since I have nothing hooked to those outs?

Now, if I were to hook this up to a 5.1 that has all 3 connectors for LR/Center/Rear LR, will Windows detect this and start outputting 5.1 audio (when available), or do I need to configure that somewhere? I've been poking around the sound panel but can't find any way of toggling a particular set of speakers on or off inside the speakers device.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dumb audio question:

How does Windows 'decide' how to output sound? My motherboard has the standard 4 outputs: LR, Center/Bass, Rear LR, Side LR. I'm currently only using LR since I have crappy 2.1 desktop speakers (which don't have a dedicated bass connector, so I'm guessing the .1 happens because of the speaker response?). I'm guessing Windows is only outputting 2 channels and mixing the rear left/right into the front left/right when 5.1 info is available? Or is it being output and I just can't hear it since I have nothing hooked to those outs?

Now, if I were to hook this up to a 5.1 that has all 3 connectors for LR/Center/Rear LR, will Windows detect this and start outputting 5.1 audio (when available), or do I need to configure that somewhere? I've been poking around the sound panel but can't find any way of toggling a particular set of speakers on or off inside the speakers device.

This is normally a feature of software and your audio driver. I can take a screenshot when I get home.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm looking for multiple desktop freeware for Windows 7. I'd like hotkeys to be able to not only switch between desktops, but also send windows to next desktop. Strongly prefer hotkeys to mouse controls. Like, if I move my mouse to the edge of the screen, and it switches desktops, that I would disable immediately. Nothing super fancy, no Mac-style Expose, just 2-4 virtual desktops with no added crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

doctorfrog posted:

I'm looking for multiple desktop freeware for Windows 7. I'd like hotkeys to be able to not only switch between desktops, but also send windows to next desktop. Strongly prefer hotkeys to mouse controls. Like, if I move my mouse to the edge of the screen, and it switches desktops, that I would disable immediately. Nothing super fancy, no Mac-style Expose, just 2-4 virtual desktops with no added crap.

Honestly, at this point you should switch to Windows 10, it's not something Windows 7 does very well.