Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I played against Triskelli:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-ab1BoeWs3dldTdDA/view?usp=sharing

*My VC vs his Empire I feel his composition wasn't that suited to fighting vampires.
*My Greenskins vs his Dwarfs Squigs and Nasty Skulkers are going to make life difficult for Dwarfs from now onward. Personally I'm never going to first-pick Dwarfs from now on (not that they were a good first-pick choice to begin with).
*Bretonnian mirror match I think his big composition mistake was going halberd peasants. I'd normally always use them but since other Brets can only field peasants themselves, you may as well save the points and get a cheaper unit with shields.
*My Empire vs his Chaos Good job I brought a vetted cannon to counter-battery the Hellcannon. Some micro errors on the flanks on both sides.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-ab1BoeWs3dldTdDA/view?usp=sharing

4-0 in my favour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man the night goblin big boss is so good. Rocking an army core of 60+ attack goblin spears that all poison enemies are nothing to gently caress with.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, definitely. But levelling him up to get there is a pain.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at modding to see how revised skill trees for the Lords to let them focus on niches more directly like the Goblins do would work out. Named Lords being focused on elite units even moreso at the second skill tier than they are now.

Hopefully the AI takes advantage of the unit-upgrade skills as well though.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 22, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kainser posted:

Radious Mods are dead for now by the way if anyone was using them (you probably shouldn't be anyway)

The Glory mods for the races are much better as far as "non canon" mods go anyways. They add a bunch of nifty new mechanics to each race without turning it into a homogeneous mess.

I'm rolling around with a gyrocopter loaded up with a tiny warpstone nuke and it's amazing watching it just take out a chunk of an army if they don't maneuver away from it. Ditto for the Krell expy. My vampire campaign has him just loving rampaging through troops. He almost single-handedly held a flank against a tide of savage orcs that I was sure was going to overwhelm my expedition into the badlands.

It even has an Age of Sigmar expy to the not-Marines that can only be attained really late in the campaign or by basically speccing into them. Like "the whole world is hosed" late. Seeing them get built regularly with a new expansion and an extended world map is going to be nifty as gently caress.

Also is there a code giveaway online for Grombrindal unlocks going?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 22, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any... Steamhead Duradins, perhaps?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Khazukan Kazakit-ha! Belegar Ironhammer comes for you, grobi.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So according to Ninjahund (probably the best player in the world), multiplayer balance is now:

Tier 1: Empire, VC, Greenskins
Tier 2: Everyone else.

Dwarfs and Chaos got bumped up to be about as good as the rest of the factions with this patch, sounds nice. Now fix magic pls CA.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I played against Mukip and lost each game, conceding the final one before playing. He's an excellent opponent and I'm not in the right space of mind to play Warhammer with Civ VI taking up my attention. I saved replays, but if Mukip wants he can put them up instead of me.

So yeah, Mukip 4 - 0 Olive Branch.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wish Dwarfs weren't so loving boring to fight.

I also wish the Skarsnik start wasn't so brutally easy. It's probably the easiest setup outside of Dwarf. I'm hoping it counts for the Greenskin Very Hard achievement, because it's literally the only way I'll get a Greenskin campaign past the early bits.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Here's the replays of me vs Olive Branch:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aaFptRWh4c2d6YjA/view?usp=sharing

My VC vs his Beastmen. Disorderly brawl goes well for me.
My Greenskins vs his Dwarfs. Nasty Skulkers and Squigs carry out another shocking beat-down against Dwarfs. I'd count both of as special from now on for comp purposes.
My Bretonnians vs his Chaos. Olive's Chaos did well in this game but Halberdiers just aren't really a counter to cavalry.

He conceded the last match to get back to Civ VI so it's 4-0 to me. (I think I'll wait a few patches before getting it myself)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Man the night goblin big boss is so good. Rocking an army core of 60+ attack goblin spears that all poison enemies are nothing to gently caress with.

He makes a really interesting alternative to the Orc Warboss, weaker at low levels but develops into the ideal cheap army backup dude if you can get him to that point.

I haven't gotten to really mess with Runelords yet but generic Dwarf Lords are the loving worst so I can't imagine ever taking them over Runelords anyway.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Runelords are better by default because they get a mount that keeps them from getting knocked on their rear end. The generic lords desperately need Shieldbearers :sigh:

One neat thing about Runelords is that even though their buffs have similar effects, they're technically different spells with different durations: this means you can stack the same buff twice if you take a -smith and a -lord in the same army.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Didn't they say that engineers would get warmachines as mounts?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Didn't they say that engineers would get warmachines as mounts?

Still bummed they don't get Artillery/Gyrocopter/Bomber mounts and different weapon loadouts. They could be the tacticool agent of Warhams.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The ultimate engineer mount

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I tried a new Greenskins campaign in an attempt to confederate both the Crooked Moon and the Bloody Hands so I could gain access to all of the Greenskin legendary lords.

Turns out confederated legendary lords don't get wounded, they die forever.

RIP Skarsnik, having you for that single turn was p sweet. :v:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Triskelli posted:

The ultimate engineer mount

it makes sense that the dwarfs would drop those to protect themselves an elven plot to contaminate their precious bodily fluids

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Early-game Skarsnik tends to fill half his stack with goblin archers, which ends up being pretty effective against my dwarves. What kind of dwarf comp would you bring to take out a mostly goblin archer army?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

Early-game Skarsnik tends to fill half his stack with goblin archers, which ends up being pretty effective against my dwarves. What kind of dwarf comp would you bring to take out a mostly goblin archer army?

Quarrelers beat every other faction's archers handily, goblin ones especially so. Quarrelers in general are a very good unit. Rangers will beat them as well but take more losses in the process.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FutonForensic posted:

Literally anything. Goblin archers are awful against dwarf units. A standard quarreller and warrior force (no great weapons) can wreck three times their number in goblin archers.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
In my dwarf games my armies were almost half quarrellers, especially in the early game. Whittle everything down as they approach, switch to melting all enemy ranged fire while the dwarf warriors hold the line, then bring the quarrellers in to flank and finish up in melee.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Been playing a bit of chaos tonight and they definitely seem even with the other "lesser" factions. Aspiring champions are loving great always have 1 or two in your army both for the encourage and for their speed, and grabbing 2 feral manticores, a chaos lord on a dragon, and exalted hero on a manticore actually has me win the air game vs. Bretonnia in a couple matches, which is pretty fun. Can't really think of any uses for the horsemasters though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Finally managed to take Karak Eight Peaks with Belegar on Very Hard . . . on Turn 76. (the grudge meter was pushing me HARD).

Did a lot of early diplomacy and got the humans all on my side (diplomacy tech was necessary here), pushed up and confederated Karak Norn and smashed down Crooked Moon, then stabilized, then swept out.

Only problem is now my original capital is under seige and I doubt I can get back there in time. Whurps!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

My games vs. Thanqol are all incredibly close and feature a lot of unusual picks, check them out!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08kcx3fdsz7ur4n/Nano%20vs%20Thanqol.zip?dl=0

Game 1: Greenskins (Thanqol) vs. VC (Nano) Two giants go down to vlad and some blood knights while I manage to keep his black orcs out of the fight. game me
Game 2: Chaos (Nano) vs. Bretonia (Thanqol), I forget to change the map but we're cool with it I bring a bigger airforce but masses of peasant scum win the day. I almost come back but an exalted hero misses his low health paladins 4 times in a row on charges. Dude needs to get his eyes checked
Game 3: VC (Thanqol) vs. Empire (Nano)It looks good for thanqol early, but he doesn't notice my witch hunter, who accuses a strigoi and two varghulfs down uncontested and pulls the game back in my favor
Game 4: Greenskins (Nano) vs. Chaos(thanqol) Thanqol gives everyone a good lesson on how to use gorebeast chariots. Seriously. I feel like I would have won if his gorebeasts didn't completely savage every one of my units. If you think chariots are bad watch this game
Overall: 2-2

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Nanomashoes posted:

My games vs. Thanqol are all incredibly close and feature a lot of unusual picks, check them out!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08kcx3fdsz7ur4n/Nano%20vs%20Thanqol.zip?dl=0

Game 1: Greenskins (Thanqol) vs. VC (Nano) Two giants go down to vlad and some blood knights while I manage to keep his black orcs out of the fight. game me
Game 2: Chaos (Nano) vs. Bretonia (Thanqol), I forget to change the map but we're cool with it I bring a bigger airforce but masses of peasant scum win the day. I almost come back but an exalted hero misses his low health paladins 4 times in a row on charges. Dude needs to get his eyes checked
Game 3: VC (Thanqol) vs. Empire (Nano)It looks good for thanqol early, but he doesn't notice my witch hunter, who accuses a strigoi and two varghulfs down uncontested and pulls the game back in my favor
Game 4: Greenskins (Nano) vs. Chaos(thanqol) Thanqol gives everyone a good lesson on how to use gorebeast chariots. Seriously. I feel like I would have won if his gorebeasts didn't completely savage every one of my units. If you think chariots are bad watch this game
Overall: 2-2

I think the thing about chariots is that they don't need to be flanky encircly thing like ordinary cav, you can just straight up slam them into the front of the enemy's line and have it be all right. Gorebeasts are especially rad because they've got so much mass it's very difficult to pin them with infantry, you just need to keep them from getting hit by cav. I think they synergized really well with the hellcannon because when that first gorebeast chariot hit you pulled over a second unit of orcs to support and I was able to target the cluster.

I was also a bit surprised this game to discover that hellcannons can keep firing even when the crew is engaged. That drat thing kept putting shots into the giant while surrounded by gobbos for so long that I was able to bring over the chariots, wreck the gobbos, and keep firing it with only 3 crew left.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Thanqol posted:

I was also a bit surprised this game to discover that hellcannons can keep firing even when the crew is engaged. That drat thing kept putting shots into the giant while surrounded by gobbos for so long that I was able to bring over the chariots, wreck the gobbos, and keep firing it with only 3 crew left.

The hellcannon is a chaos beast (it has it's own mind), the "crew" are just it's handlers/food if it gets hungry.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

ssmagus posted:

The hellcannon is a chaos beast (it has it's own mind), the "crew" are just it's handlers/food if it gets hungry.

I'm just sad that the hellcannon can't fight in melee, and that it has a minimum range. Daemons tend not to care for things like friendly fire

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Which expansions / add ons are worth buying? I kinda want to play crooked moon or beastmen. Are they worth it?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Yes to both.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Crooked Moon/Skarsnik are really fun as long as you don't mind the fact that your troops are (stat wise) worse than everyone you will fight and you need to employ a lot of encirclement and ambush tactics to win otherwise fair fights. It can be a bit brutal at the start but once you've got skarsnik levelled up a bit and gotten used to his play style you're going to slaughter everyone you fight.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Carcer posted:

Crooked Moon/Skarsnik are really fun as long as you don't mind the fact that your troops are (stat wise) worse than everyone you will fight and you need to employ a lot of encirclement and ambush tactics to win otherwise fair fights. It can be a bit brutal at the start but once you've got skarsnik levelled up a bit and gotten used to his play style you're going to slaughter everyone you fight.

What are you talking about? Arachnoroks have better stats than anything the AI fields. Just get 19 of them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thats like saying dwarves aren't slow since they can just recuit gyro copters, completly ignoring the significant parts of the campaign that you can't.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Carcer posted:

You totally don't though.

Goblins suck. But there are also a ton of the fuckers and they don't die fast enough to really matter. They also replenish super quickly. Their biggest issue is leadership, but you can fix that pretty quickly as Skarsnik levels, and you can also fix that pretty easily by having more goblins in reserve behind them, and constantly cycle them out as their leadership fails giving them a chance to recover. Skarsnik also boosts leadership with his initial trap skill, and it brings goblins from near zero to full while it's up.

Here's the hottest of hot Skarsnik takes. Don't build archers at all. Just build 6 or so units of goblins, and then the rest Skulkers. Once you hit 19/20, pop your big boss into the army to make it 20/20. Use your big boss early to harass Karak Norn and blow up their walls/keep their army slowed, which'll level him up enough to turn him into a really powerful hero unit by the time of the first battle.

The hardest ( and only hard battle ) in the Skarsnik campaign is the fight against that initial Karak Norn army. Once it's dead, you've won. Go claim Karak Norn and Grimhold, get your Waaaagh army, go down and kill Ironhammer and take his lands, go up and take Ziflin and it's area, etc etc. Between the Waaagh army and Skarsniks goblin buffs as he levels, the goblins quickly become more and more like miniBeastmen, and basically become unstoppable/do extremely high amounts of damage. Even on VH, the Empire/Bretonnia have enough other poo poo going on they won't bother you, and you can basically roll unopposed through western Dwarflands. And once they are all dead, congratulations, nothing will stop your conquest of the Badlands. Wurzzag will auto confederate with you since you own enough stuff, and Grimgor will auto confederate with you once you take Eight Peaks.

Skarsnik and his goblin army are ironically hilariously brokenly good. The only thing that makes them hard is that initial setup against Karak Norn, and the devs assuming you'd run away to Eight Peaks immediately. If you don't though, his Waagh army ( designed I bet to work with his army to take Eight Peaks once you flee there ), is more then enough to take every single Dwarf hold in the west without any pressure at all.

I've never used ambush tactics on my goblins because I've never needed to.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
To be clear when I say ambush tactics I mean using units with stalking vanguard deployed units (Like skulkers and night goblins) to lure the enemy army forward and then split their army up by tackling part of it with your skulkers/night goblins and crushing the rest with your main line.

And while I don't think his campaign is hard apart from the really early bit against Karak Norn, being in such hostile territory where multiple dwarf holds, empire factions, bretonnian factions and even tilea and estalia can and will all declare war and harass you with stacks isn't the easiest thing to handle for a player new to the game. I'd rather over warn someone of the difficulty and have them think I'm a scrub for telling them it can be difficult than have them wonder why they suck so much because skarsnik is supposed to be strong.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Honestly the fact that Skarsnik gets free Lightning Strike makes his campaign fairly simple if you know what you are doing, it is so exploitable.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Ok, Runelords have a pretty boring skill tree but otherwise they own, goodbye Dwarf Lords forever.

At this point I pretty much use RuneLords/Arclectors/Strigoi exclusively over the generic combat lords, they're just a lot more fun to use and have better growth potential. Night Goblin Warbosses are almost there, but they kinda lock you into a Gobbo army so generic Orc Bosses aren't completely out of a job.

Though Gobbo armies are more fun than Orc armies now anyway, so...hmmm.

Side note, volley fire actually nerfs Ranger DPS became someone entered the value backwards, so watch out for that if you're going Ranger heavy.

Having played with them a while I think Rangers are actually pretty drat good, at least if you go clan Angrund. Yeah you lose armor compared to Quarrelers but you make up for that by having the speed/vanguard/stalk to actually use flank attacks effectively and they still machine gun down goblin archers while being a bit better in melee so you don't lose anything that matters really.

Bugman's Rangers are a weird upgrade, permanently buzzed so they take a -30 accuracy penalty in exchange for regen. They're probably not cost effective at all for MP but honestly in SP at least they aren't getting any less kills (usually more...somehow) than normal rangers and they're quite a bit stronger in melee so they work out to being a straight upgrade in my experience.

Greatweapon Rangers are almost a completely different unit, even more glass cannon-ish and short range and hilariously deadly. You basically point them at something and they will assuredly kill it, though whether or not they survive is another story. They wreck infantry and lords/heroes but get destroyed by archers so you want to team them up with shield rangers when possible.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 23, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I don't care about which is easiest or most exploitable but I do want to know which is the most fun.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
For me everything except chaos is fun.

E: They could be fun under the right circumstances until beastmen came out and now thier mechanics feel like unrefined versions of beastmen mechanics.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 23, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Affi posted:

I don't care about which is easiest or most exploitable but I do want to know which is the most fun.

All the DLC is good and fun honestly. King and the Warlord is the hot new thing right now and for good reason, it's super great.

Grim and the Grave doesn't give you new factions to play as but still adds a bunch of cool stuff for really cheap, it's worth getting if you like Empire or Vampire Counts at all. (Volkmar is my favorite Empire LL by far.)

Beastmen is the most expensive but it's also really fun, like playing Chaos but way more interesting.

Chaos is the worst DLC currently but it's still ok. Mostly just their campaign lacks a lot of polish compared to every other race, especially now that the base races got a bunch of new shinies with the two lord packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I think if nothing else, the fact all the other DLCs have cool little flavourful titles and the Chaos one is just "Chaos Warriors Race Pack" shows how half-arsed they are.

• Locked thread