Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I was so sure there was gonna be a crazy twist in San Junipero where the servers glitched out and turned their utopia into a hosed up hellscape or one of them was either way younger or way older than the other IRL. Glad my predictions didn't come true, the actual ending was much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

In San Junipero when Kelly gets her five minutes with Yorkie before Yorkie dies and uses it to ask her to marry her instead it made be bust out them tears. That was probably the best episode of television I've seen all year - although Rectify hasn't started up yet to challenge it

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 23, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Men Against Fire: Hated it. I hate terrible writing of military characters written by someone whose only military experience has been watching Starship Troopers. It's not that I think it's hard to write military fiction, but it's really easy to fall on tired cliches and make it all feel so fake. Everyone else has hit on the twist being revealed too soon and dragged on too long. I'll throw in that the main female character was a terrible actor, just the worst they've had on Black Mirror.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
San Junipero was the best.
Hatred in the Nation was just completely ridiculous.
Man on Fire was heavyhanded, but effective. It basically turned into Avatar towards the end though.
Shut Up and Dance was your obligatory "We're all hosed" episode
Nosedive was too on the nose.
Playtest was basically a dream within a dream episode from almost literally any genre show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I'll throw in that the main female character was a terrible actor, just the worst they've had on Black Mirror.

That's Madeline Brewer, who plays Tricia Miller in Orange in the New Black. Her performance may have been lacking in nuance for Black Mirror, but if it was, blame the Director; she is actually quite good.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
In Hated in the Nation, to me it felt like a more social media aware spin on Death Note than anything. I did like the ending where they left it open ended not showing Blue confronting Garrett

It does make me want to see Kelly Macdonald and Faye Marsay do a British police procedural now.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw & Mackenzie Davis were really good in San Junipero.

Technically, Brooker didn't write Nosedive, but it was adapted from something he wrote by Rashida Jones and Michael Schur, one of the guys who came up with Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I agree that Shut Up and Dance is very similar to White Bear where they humanize the main character while leaving little tidbits that show the gravity of what the character did, but in White Bear what was essentially the narrator had to explain it to you since it was all symbolism. Seriously, that part where Jerome Flynn's character is practically smacking him to get him to stick up the bank and then he pisses himself, jesus.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

That's Madeline Brewer, who plays Tricia Miller in Orange in the New Black. Her performance may have been lacking in nuance for Black Mirror, but if it was, blame the Director; she is actually quite good.

I greatly enjoy OitNB, but the acting on the show isn't one of its better qualities.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Tatsujin posted:

Technically, Brooker didn't write Nosedive, but it was adapted from something he wrote by Rashida Jones and Michael Schur, one of the guys who came up with Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
That is pretty much the last thing you'd actually credit Mike Schur for. He's kind of a Big Hollywood Deal™

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

BJPaskoff posted:

Men Against Fire: Hated it. I hate terrible writing of military characters written by someone whose only military experience has been watching Starship Troopers. It's not that I think it's hard to write military fiction, but it's really easy to fall on tired cliches and make it all feel so fake. Everyone else has hit on the twist being revealed too soon and dragged on too long. I'll throw in that the main female character was a terrible actor, just the worst they've had on Black Mirror.

I am not military but it did feel klutzy even to me. The way they spent all this time planning/covering the house and basically it came down to one guy alone dealing with like 4 of them alone, and they let a bunch scurry out. They also did a bang up job searching the guy who owned the house. Starship Troopers acting puts it pretty well, with the lead and psychiatrist being a significant cut above the rest. Nitpicking aside, I liked the idea of super dehumanizing the enemy, there were nice subtle touches like another goon mentioned how villagers hated the people without mind altering implants. The Michael Kelly (who was good) scenes were a little too on the nose. "Hey let me explain to you the horrible secret behind everything..." I said it before, but I would have just made them refugees, and made everyone on edge because climate change was making life shittier in general. Even with all of those issues I didn't mind it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
They never really explained what the "boomer" grenade was for either, despite giving it a cool CGI spotlight

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tatsujin, you mind being a little more careful with the spoilers? I still haven't seen Hated in the Nation yet :(

Men Against Fire is crazy over-obvious but I did like it once the twist is actually revealed. I feel the same as whoever said the subject appeals to them even if it is portrayed in a heavy-handed manner. It's an important topic and I'm glad it got its day in this season without going uber-political.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
After watching Kelly Macdonald in Hated In The Nation, I feel like that if there was a film adaptation of Gibson's Spook Country and Zero History - she would make for a perfect Hollis Henry.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just some thoughts on St Junipero, which was rolling around in my head all day

There are hundreds of ways they could have made that story end absolutely horribly. It would have been really really easy to do it any number of ways. I thought for sure either Kelly would refuse to stay, leaving Frankie alone forever in a town constantly celebrating knowing that the only person she had ever loved would never arrive, or that there would be some kind of irreconcilable issue between them that meant they had to spend eternity hating each other. Such a good episode though, maybe even worth having Heaven is a Place on Earth stuck in my head for loving hours.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Tatsujin posted:

It does make me want to see Kelly Macdonald and Faye Marsay do a British police procedural now.

This is great. I loved Kelly's quips throughout it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes please respect Mike Schur's greater industry accomplishments, namely playing Mose Schrute

Bicyclops posted:

Have any of the people saying this ever seen an episode of RTD Doctor Who? There are legitimate complaints about it, but this comparison keeps coming up and it's really weird. There is nothing, not the production value, not the writing, not the pacing, not the high concept or plot that in any way, shape or form resemble Davies Who, which is all about sci fi that may as well be magic, has soaring, bombastc, Murray Gold soundtracks to round out its "Not so fast, you villain!" bombastic speeches, and trundles along so fast it rarely dwells on the beats. Just about the only similarity is the over-the-top way some of the authority figures are drawn, such that we are immediately supposed to write them off as selfish power climbers that we love to hate, but that's extremely common in a lot of British sci-fi, and, even in that respect, way more similar to the last two seasons of Torchwood than Doctor Who anyway.

You're right about Hated in the Nation. After going over it, I see more similarity in Men Against Fire, which features a generic multi-national military force, a council estate doubling as something more exotic, POV shots in lieu of SFX, and a sonic screwdriver. Frankly I wasn't much of a fan of either episode; San Junipero and Shut Up and Dance were the standouts for me, with Nosedive being quite good as well, and Playtest being terrible.

To the other goon who quoted my Playtest comments: Part of why I (a cis-white poor-geois myself) disliked Cooper's character so much is that he's an unconventional Black Mirror protagonist. The only other white dudes headlining an episode this year are Bronn and a teenage pedo, with three episodes about women and one about a black man. Part of why I enjoy Black Mirror is how easily relatable its characters are, who are often either unlike me or put into a totally foreign situation. Take San Junipero, which uses both of those ideas to incredible effect.

So, to have a suburban NY loser with mommy issues show up, was disappointing in the first place. The stereotype of the Westerner who goes travelling to "discover themself" is well-established, and reiterating it here took up an unnecessary amount of time in the episode. I like the comment that Cooper came off as an LPer, because that helps me understand the purpose of his constant smarmy comments. Not to sperg too much, but I'd imagine 9/10 Black Mirror viewers know that Dumbledore doesn't assign you your house. So here we have an uninteresting, actively offensive protagonist.

My other problem with the episode was how strongly it seemed to moralize. The conceit of the AR haunted house was played well, but it doesn't seem to be the core of the story after the two fakeouts. At the end we learn Cooper was killed when a call from his mother interrupted the tester signal. None of his actions or experiences in there really mattered. Instead, he is immediately betrayed by his greed (in using his phone to immediately betray his employer) and his cowardice (in refusing to touch the open wound of his relationship with his mother). Imagine being Cooper's mother. After losing your husband to a prolonged, painful disease, your son vanishes as well. Your son could be dead as well, and you might never know! While this episode seemed similar to White Bear, Shut Up and Dance, or The National Anthem, there was nothing in this episode that indicted myself as a viewer for cheering Cooper's inevitable mutilation/death.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 23, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you calling the protagonist "actively offensive" because he gets something about Harry Potter wrong?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Short answer: yes.

In a single hour of drama there's only so many things one can learn about a person. The clueless Dumbledore line is a good example, and actually a pretty decent microcosm of his character. He seems willing to engage in anything despite lacking any understanding of how it works. As far as what makes him offensive, I also mentioned his immediate willingness to betray the first company willing to pay for his plane ticket home, his emotional immaturity, and his self-absorption. He really isn't presented as having any good qualities.

edit: There are also a couple parallels between this episode and Shut Up and Dance, including the recurring phonecalls from Mom and the "descent into hell" vibe both episodes generate, which calls into question why a scene where Cooper talks to a stranger's child was included.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 23, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm pretty sure he was supposed to be an annoying LP character.

edit. Not that that makes him likeable, I just thought that was what they were going for, a shallow gametester.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Playtest Calling mom seems like it wouldn't do much. Cooper contests the validity of everything except for the fact his mother can not recognize him in any way and is compelled to call him futilely. So I believe that's how the situation is in the real world.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Nosedive felt like Black Mirror but made for retards, I wanted to like it but by the end of the episode just completely hated it. The reest of the season was really enjoyable thankfully, but Shut Up and Dance was the only episode that really clicked with me. I think they would have been better served by just sticking to three episodes instead of doing six, episodes like Men Against Fire have a really good core idea and just needed a little more work.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
So much bitching about Playtest's character instead of the fact that it's the lamest dream within a dream within a dream payoff ever.

I actually enjoyed the characterisation during the 1st half hour and thought it was clever that they emphasised the 0.4s duration of the test before he went into shock, until you think about it ... that means that meeting the Japanese director was made up in his mind, as well as all the interactions with the woman, the Edgar Allan Poe novel, all the rules of the haunted house... so much stuff (SO MUCH STUFF) happens after he gets plugged in that simply do not belong in his 'mind'. How the gently caress do you go from gophers to an haunted house concept from this dude's POV. He just returned from a trip around the world, and that's where his mind goes? American Horror Story tropes? That's quite self indulgent.

It's a great premise, they push it very very far, and gently caress up the ending. Too bad because I really liked the idea of him actually getting alzheimer's during the game and coming back having lost most of his memory and motor skills - sounds much more bittersweet and black-mirror-y, and whats worst is that they actually go there and decide for a much worse layer (he died before anything actually happened- what the gently caress?), throwing that one in the trash.

With that said I must thank the thread for helping me figure out how Shut Up and Dance was this year's White Bear, it didnt click with me because I feel asleep halfway and forgot the kid's toy scene, thought the blackmailer was just being a piece of poo poo.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How do you gently caress up Hideo Kojima's Black Mirror?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not familiar with UK's government, who were the people hearing the testimony supposed to be? All the dudes were knighted.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

im gay posted:

I'm not familiar with UK's government, who were the people hearing the testimony supposed to be? All the dudes were knighted.

I'd say it's MI5 as they're in suits and not anything a Judge would wear, the higher ups do tend to be Knighted in MI5.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

White Rabbit posted:

So much bitching about Playtest's character instead of the fact that it's the lamest dream within a dream within a dream payoff ever.

I actually enjoyed the characterisation during the 1st half hour and thought it was clever that they emphasised the 0.4s duration of the test before he went into shock, until you think about it ... that means that meeting the Japanese director was made up in his mind, as well as all the interactions with the woman, the Edgar Allan Poe novel, all the rules of the haunted house... so much stuff (SO MUCH STUFF) happens after he gets plugged in that simply do not belong in his 'mind'. How the gently caress do you go from gophers to an haunted house concept from this dude's POV. He just returned from a trip around the world, and that's where his mind goes? American Horror Story tropes? That's quite self indulgent.

It's a great premise, they push it very very far, and gently caress up the ending. Too bad because I really liked the idea of him actually getting alzheimer's during the game and coming back having lost most of his memory and motor skills - sounds much more bittersweet and black-mirror-y, and whats worst is that they actually go there and decide for a much worse layer (he died before anything actually happened- what the gently caress?), throwing that one in the trash.

With that said I must thank the thread for helping me figure out how Shut Up and Dance was this year's White Bear, it didnt click with me because I feel asleep halfway and forgot the kid's toy scene, thought the blackmailer was just being a piece of poo poo.

Playtest: The company was known for creating a series of horror games (which IIRC he said he had played before), and he saw the haunted house on one of the game designers' screens (Though now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that scene happened before or after the "glitch")

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Playtest the fact that he was only jacked in for 0.04 seconds blew me the gently caress away, loved it overall.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

AEMINAL posted:

Playtest the fact that he was only jacked in for 0.04 seconds blew me the gently caress away, loved it overall.

Playtest: I like the ambiguity about exactly how much of his dream was designed by the brain interface AI. Did the cell phone signal just mess up the interface and cause it to activate all his neurons at once, and then dream is just how his mind made sense of that activation by drawing on all recent knowledge and his imagination? Or did the AI come up with a horror story in less than 0.04 seconds that hit all of his fears and anxieties, and deliberately capped it off with his dread of the very thing that just happened in the real world, with braindead just being a sideeffect of the intensity? The talk with the CEO at the end imply that cell phones ringing during the test is not normal, but that people dying is. So perhaps the call was entirely without blame and just something the AI wove into the story for drama.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im just three minutes into the new season and already very uncomfortable

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

5 minutes into Playtest, and I remember how much I loving hate backpackers.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Nosedive felt like a brutal punch to the gut that kept going. Bryce Dallas Howard knocked it out the drat park, I liked the creeping tension, the final catharsis, all fully and well realized.

A high bar to set with episode 1 of season 3, can't wait for the rest.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Short answer: yes.

In a single hour of drama there's only so many things one can learn about a person. The clueless Dumbledore line is a good example, and actually a pretty decent microcosm of his character. He seems willing to engage in anything despite lacking any understanding of how it works. As far as what makes him offensive, I also mentioned his immediate willingness to betray the first company willing to pay for his plane ticket home, his emotional immaturity, and his self-absorption. He really isn't presented as having any good qualities.

edit: There are also a couple parallels between this episode and Shut Up and Dance, including the recurring phonecalls from Mom and the "descent into hell" vibe both episodes generate, which calls into question why a scene where Cooper talks to a stranger's child was included.
He also looked after his father as he slowly died from Alzheimer's. I know that doesn't mitigate crimes such as not really knowing Harry Potter that well, but I'd say that puts someone firmly in the good guy camp.

I'm pretty sure all this endless shite written about this character in this thread is more just people trying to come up with verbose ways of saying "hes annoying".

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Regarding "Men Against Fire", it isn't exactly based on a revolutionary premise, but I feel like I saw a high-production value digital short on vimeo or youtube a few years ago that had the exact same twist and reveal. Anyone else know what I'm referring to or remember its name?

Well, the movie "The 5th Wave" has a similar technical twist/premise, except for the eugenics aspect, if I remember correctly. It's aliens in the movie. It's a bad movie.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Shut Up and Dance, christ

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

Shut Up and Dance, christ

I think what makes Shut Up and Dance so powerful to me is that it's absolutely current. Episodes like 15 Million Merits and White Bear hit hard but there's still a very clear disconnect between their worlds and the reality of the present. But this story is something that could literally be happening today. It's not a story that warns us of how poo poo the future could be, it's one that shows us how poo poo the world is now.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Playtest: I feel like you guys are being too hard on Cooper. I am not a fan of his character trope either but it felt like he was just desperately trying to make some cool memories after watching his Father slowly die while losing all of his. It wasn't some kind of hippy 'finding myself' trip, it was a reaction to his grief and fear. Avoiding his mother who only reminded him about his loss was a pretty natural reaction to that.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
its cool that people all over are already way on board w/ the events of shut up

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nosedive was great. Had reservations from the first few minutes but it actually has a point to make beyond the blindingly obvious.

Definitely enthused about the rest now. Gonna try and pace myself though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dangerdoom volvo posted:

its cool that people all over are already way on board w/ the events of shut up

we already had some sociopath on board with white bear itt so it's hardly surprising

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that second episode was something alright. a bit1408 but with VR rather than ghosts. Also somebody literally died from too much phones.

Anyway, much less of a "oh my goodness everything in the setting of that episode was hosed up" so I think I'll watch another later maybe. I like that sometimes it's just a contained story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just started watching the first episode of season 3. Just five minutes in and it's already awkward as gently caress. :v: