Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Schwartzcough posted:

Seriously, though, Alexander is cool. Unlike all those other summon robots from XIII.

I'm glad winged Alexander came back for The Creator in XIV, especially when he summons his big body part way through.

Type-Zero Alexander was neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YiBnxSIDhY&t=166s

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A to the L to the E-X-ANDER
Gobbies gonna rise up over uplanders

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It never ceases to amaze me how much great music FF14 has.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Every time this gets linked I listen to the whole thing all over again.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I dunno, I don't like that one as much as most of the xiv songs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I appreciate all the FF14 music even more knowing how loving passionate and crazy Soken is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlpvTbS1yq0

Soken is a hella cool guy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Schwartzcough posted:

This dumb robot is some kinda castle with wings. I mean, what?

Seriously, though, Alexander is cool. Unlike all those other summon robots from XIII.

I'm appreciating 9 more as I've been playing it again for my wife to see it. We just got past when Brahne summons Odin.

FF9 does really well to flesh out majority of the core class. There are great arcs for Zidane, Vivi, Steiner, Garnet, and Freya.

I've really appreciated Quina's role too. Quina is a perfectly weird character that helps to alleviate some of the pressure when things are getting tense. Not only that I find Quina to be somewhat of a tragic character for how naïve they are. Despite being older than the rest of the cast, they have a dumb childlike innocence and come across as less capable in the world than Vivi.

Still haven't met Eiko or Amarant. But also, gently caress Amarant.

Also, Queen Brahne is the best villain since Kefka. She murders hella people and completes a loving genocide against the Burmecians/Cleyrans. I guess I never fully considered the gravity of her actions when I first played this game as a young teenager. I thought "yeah it's hosed up, she killed a bunch of people" but now I can understand it better as a loving racial genocide. Granted, she's not just anti-rat person, she's anti-everyone not Alexandrian, but gently caress, man.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Freya is my favourite dragoon in the series but it sucks how her character involvement drops off a cliff as soon as she finds her amnesiac boyfriend.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
When are we going to see some reviews for World of Final Fantasy? I'm hovering around buying it on Amazon but I'm not sure it's my bag. The demo was alright but really dry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

When are we going to see some reviews for World of Final Fantasy? I'm hovering around buying it on Amazon but I'm not sure it's my bag. The demo was alright but really dry.

Not until next week.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Mordiceius posted:

I appreciate all the FF14 music even more knowing how loving passionate and crazy Soken is.

It's crazy to me that he isn't a huge name in game music (before FF14 at least). One of his other biggest projects was Mario Hoops and the OST for that was also crazy.
https://youtu.be/_d0K9zrOKlY
http://youtu.be/egn9B37GwpM

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

But also, gently caress Amarant.
People underrate Amarant severely. He gets a tight, solid arc even though he's introduced late in the game. He and Freya get some great character moments together, which helps to bring Freya back into the spotlight after her role in the plot more or less ends. He even plays well off Eiko. He's not a plot-crucial character by any means, but he's not undeveloped either.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Black Mage Knight posted:

It's crazy to me that he isn't a huge name in game music (before FF14 at least). One of his other biggest projects was Mario Hoops and the OST for that was also crazy.
https://youtu.be/_d0K9zrOKlY
http://youtu.be/egn9B37GwpM

mario hoops being obscure and forgotten prob has a lot to do with it

also tbh not digging the alexandr song that much, the dude singing clashes too much with the instruments to me

the mario hoops songs are good tho

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

People underrate Amarant severely. He gets a tight, solid arc even though he's introduced late in the game. He and Freya get some great character moments together, which helps to bring Freya back into the spotlight after her role in the plot more or less ends. He even plays well off Eiko. He's not a plot-crucial character by any means, but he's not undeveloped either.

He feels more like the option characters of older games. I think I could appreciate Amarant more if he had more time but by the time you get him, the game is almost over. This gives me no desire to slot him into the party as I've already spent dozens of hours with the other characters and their play style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think Amarant should have been a much longer-term villain. He should have been chasing you since nearly the start as a mercenary or something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Not until next week.

Ah, ok. I'll wait to see what impressions are before I dive in. None of the pre-order stuff seems like "Must Have" territory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Ah, ok. I'll wait to see what impressions are before I dive in. None of the pre-order stuff seems like "Must Have" territory.

I think that's a wise idea. The pre-order stuff I've seen looks pretty meh knowing what I know of the main game, and there's no harm in waiting to see a variety of opinions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Never pre-order.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Never pre-order.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think Amarant should have been a much longer-term villain. He should have been chasing you since nearly the start as a mercenary or something.

This and Lani should have replaced him as the playable character. She plays off Garnet pretty well in what little we get of her and I could see filling in the gaps for Freya and Eiko the way Armarant does.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's a wise idea. The pre-order stuff I've seen looks pretty meh knowing what I know of the main game, and there's no harm in waiting to see a variety of opinions.

uhhhhhhh, chibi sephiroth????

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It looks like Japanese voices are a preorder bonus, so if you want to switch one irritating the-gimmick for the-another one, you'll have to pay the-extra if you don't preorder.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That would have helped too. It feels like there's 5 hours of story with him that should be there. That plot should have kicked off shortly after Garnet is kidnapped on disc 1.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

Never pre-order.

stuff like pokemon sells out so fast that pre-ordering it is about the only way to make sure you have a copy on time

leave it in 1998 where it belongs

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

If he were a character like Magus from CT that would be a lot more exciting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Need to double check something

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Amarant is a character that feels like a wholly missed opportunity. He should have either been around for longer or removed completely.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Game is out on Tuesday right? When does the review embargo end?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

or get it used a year later :clint:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Or wait some 15 years and get it in a portable format with way better graphics

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mordiceius posted:

Amarant is a character that feels like a wholly missed opportunity. He should have either been around for longer or removed completely.
That whole setup by Zidane was awkward as hell. Was it just that Zidane stole something and night shift guard Amarant is taken for the thief? He didn't bother to defend himself either. Just gave up on everything and became a criminal in Ye Olde Zozo.
Still a better party member than character.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FFIX has a whole has some of the best party members in the series but Amarant feels very much like a last minute rush job. He has like two scenes, the one where he joins and the other where he gets mad at Ipsen's castle for some reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
First 15 minutes of WoFF in japanese (so if you don't want to be spoiled by english I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5U3qhXeK6k

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
And if you want World of Final Fantasy spoiled to hell and back, here's the Einhander fight:

(also, Shantotto insulting Tidus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-mXEvIkg8s

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Varance posted:

And if you want World of Final Fantasy spoiled to hell and back, here's the Einhander fight:

(also, Shantotto insulting Tidus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-mXEvIkg8s

The dialogue is funny but the fight was kinda blah, I kept waiting for the boss to do something interesting but he just kept attacking.

Oh well, chibi figurines for. Y kids plus they'll enjoy it so my pre-order doesn't bug me too much. Hopefully other bosses are more exciting.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Calaveron posted:

Or wait some 15 years and get it in a portable format with way better graphics

3ds version comes with master quest?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, I think you have to beat it first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Huh, that's outright Dr. Shantotto's lab from Windurst. WOFF seems to have a lot of nice little touches like that.