Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

World In Conflict:

Unit AI and pathing in this game is atrocious. Multiplayer can be fun, but you will lose at least 40 tanks due to your tanks pathing into an artillery strike. There's basically no reason to play infantry on any map that isn't 90% buildings, and even on building maps, eventually every building will have been exploded so you're going to have to pretty much become a worse Tank player. You can do some cheezy strats like dropping your infantry in using helicopters, but eventually they'll get hovered up by the chopper player.

Artillery players are about 99% useless and will lose all their expensive units in the first ten minutes to an easy artillery strike when they start shooting missiles at the middle of loving nowhere. If they don't die to that, the chopper player will micro their choppers in to kill their poo poo instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've never quite forgiven the Civilization series for doing away with multiple-units-per-tile thing, and my interest in the latest game in the series is seriously hampered because of it.

E: vvv why? Some multiplayer balance issue?

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Oct 22, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Death stacks were a bad thing

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I never played multiplayer, but even in SP it was loving annoying to have two giant stacks of units battle it out one by one for like ten minutes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fetchquests.

Oh, you need me to collect a bunch of things for you? Okay, sure, I can understand how you, a puny scientist might not be able to traverse these lava plains and defeat the fanged creatures that burrow through the ground. No problem.

And then they start adding oh so helpful commentary of 'Just a few more!' once you've collected seven of the ten things you need to pick up.

You've really got nothing? No comments about how I'm making this look easy? No mention of how many weapons I'm carrying around? You're just going to be a Kindergartener's counting assistant the entire way through this?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I've never quite forgiven the Civilization series for doing away with multiple-units-per-tile thing, and my interest in the latest game in the series is seriously hampered because of it.

E: vvv why? Some multiplayer balance issue?

It made it so there was no strategy to combat, it was all about who could pump out more dudes. Which was fine and all, plenty of people care more about optimizing their production than the combat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

Fetchquests.

Oh, you need me to collect a bunch of things for you? Okay, sure, I can understand how you, a puny scientist might not be able to traverse these lava plains and defeat the fanged creatures that burrow through the ground. No problem.

And then they start adding oh so helpful commentary of 'Just a few more!' once you've collected seven of the ten things you need to pick up.

You've really got nothing? No comments about how I'm making this look easy? No mention of how many weapons I'm carrying around? You're just going to be a Kindergartener's counting assistant the entire way through this?

At least fetch quests are, usually, excuses to actually play the game. Sure you're just being told to collect ten whatsits from the dead bodies of beasties, but killing those beasties for the whatsits does entail actually participating in combat.

What I hate are fedex quests: quests entirely to just talk to someone else (possibly to deliver something), with no other complexity. No level of distance is actually good for this, because if they're nearby it's pointless and if they're far away it's annoying. Literally all you're doing is traveling, it's not engaging at all. I've been playing FFXIV recently, and while overall it handles itself really well I spent the entire first day running back and forth between NPCs. I got to level 3 entirely without even seeing an enemy, let alone fighting one.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The only good fedex quests are ones that send you to the next quest giver/hub, so they basically just have you do what you'd be doing anyway.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Death stacks were a bad thing

Death stacks were absolutely a bad thing and Civ is better for not having them.

...Except that the garbage combat AI is so much worse at handling 1UPT that it makes winning large engagements against the AI trivial. At least in 4 the AI could use their cheaty production bonus to amass humongous death stacks to throw at you. Nowadays they just get caught in choke points or walk blindly into your own indirect fire units.

So the thing really dragging down Civ is bad AI.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deathballs were bad, everything about Civ 5's system was bad too. This does a good job of laying out all the issues: http://www.sullla.com/Civ5/bnwreview.html

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm hopeful for 6, because one of the lead developers spoke a lot about how badly the one-unit system broke the game. We'll see.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

What I hate are fedex quests: quests entirely to just talk to someone else (possibly to deliver something), with no other complexity. No level of distance is actually good for this, because if they're nearby it's pointless and if they're far away it's annoying. Literally all you're doing is traveling, it's not engaging at all. I've been playing FFXIV recently, and while overall it handles itself really well I spent the entire first day running back and forth between NPCs. I got to level 3 entirely without even seeing an enemy, let alone fighting one.
It should take you like half an hour to do the various tutorial quests around town, how did you spend your first day on it? You can level from 1-10 in a couple hours.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It should take you like half an hour to do the various tutorial quests around town, how did you spend your first day on it? You can level from 1-10 in a couple hours.

I got to joining the grand caravan or whatever it was called and it felt like the majority of my game time was running from point a to b then back to a. I keep meaning to give the game another try but always find something else to play.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One thing that makes a quest more interesting is when the Developer anticipates that a player might try to go off the rails or do steps out of order. If there is an NPC who only gives you a key if you do his grocery-shopping then you could just kill him now and loot his corpse for the key. You can kill the boss-monster roaming around before you even get the contract to kill him. It's true in games like Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity. The latest Deus Ex gave you an achievement for giving a guy a mcguffin before he'd even asked for it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dishonored in the normal story and the Daud DLC both had some bits like that if I remember right.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I know i'm on the late console bandwagon here, but holy poo poo is XCOM2 a glitchy mess. I just loaded it up and got a reload-necessitating glitch on my second turn so far, when a Codex spawned a clone inside of itself and the game just stopped.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The latest Deus Ex gave you an achievement for giving a guy a mcguffin before he'd even asked for it.

is it a play on the I never asked for this meme?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

It made it so there was no strategy to combat, it was all about who could pump out more dudes.

As someone whose favorite military factions were always the tons-of-cheap-units type, this wasn't a negative.

Frankly, the removal of death stacks made the game far more tedious. I've got a chunk of units I want to go ~there~. With death stacks, I just have to decide one path. Without them, it's X different paths because each one has to take a slightly different path due to another one of its number taking that path.

I still don't get it. I'm going to win the combat anyway, why make it harder?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Yardbomb posted:

Dishonored in the normal story and the Daud DLC both had some bits like that if I remember right.

THat reminds me of when my brother was watching me play (He'd already got pretty far himself, further that I did) and when he saw me in a particular area he warned me that he'd had difficulty with that area. Then he saw me teleport on top of a lamp post and just bamf from post to post like I'd been doing the entire game. His response: "gently caress OFF!"

:3: He just never thought to abuse geometry like I did.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

princecoo posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 mods

A patch released last night allows you to exchange gems directly from the weapons menu, which compares the installed gem with your pool of loose gems. It's still not a perfect system, but it's much better now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

I got to joining the grand caravan or whatever it was called and it felt like the majority of my game time was running from point a to b then back to a. I keep meaning to give the game another try but always find something else to play.

That's 99% of the game. From beginning to end. You walk to a place. Walk back. Walk to another place. Walk back. Then holy poo poo you walk to a new place! Time to walk back and forth for another few hours. Every once in a while you get a quest to run a dungeon with a bunch of morons that unsurprisingly failed to learn their basic class duties because there's no reason to play anything but DPS for the story quests, and no reason to actually get good at it, and then it's right back to walking back and forth.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't understand why Transformers: Devastation thinks it needs an involved system of weapon drops and rarity and crafting and damage types. The damage types don't even seem to do anything. And if they do, it's not remotely obvious because all the enemies are robots and I have enough to deal with just doing Platinum things to them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Overwatch would be so much better if the players on my team ever seemed to understand the objective. Instead most of them just seem to treat it as a deathmatch and try to maximize their KDR without actually ever defending or trying to capture the objective.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Overwatch would be so much better if the players on my team ever seemed to understand the objective. Instead most of them just seem to treat it as a deathmatch and try to maximize their KDR without actually ever defending or trying to capture the objective.

This is multiplayer shooters in general. A while back in Destiny they had a new game mode where your objective was not to kill necessarily but to collect the glowing items that dropped from people who died. Two points for each thing, one to the killer and one to the guy who picked it up. No points for grabbing your own team's crests but you'd deny the enemy team two points. So many people would just sit back and never go get the things because they didn't want to hurt their KD ratio, tons of others would just straight up avoid denials because it didn't get them points. I'm starting to really hate multiplayer games. Not because they're not fun or anything. But because the vast majority of people who play them are just miserably not fun to play with. You could replace them all quietly with bots and in most cases it would either bot unnoticeable, or be an improvement.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The only MP game I really play these days is Overwatch, and then only with my wife and a group of friends I play with regularly. So it's not too bad.
The problem is when you don't have a full or mostly full stack of friends on your team, because then you get randoms joining - not usually bad in Quick Play, but in Competitive Play the pubbies are universally huge cunts in general.

Lighten the gently caress up people. Unless you're legit a pro player in a Tournament, it's just a loving game. I don't give 2 shits about your Rank, or mine either.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

That's the thing dragging games down for me these days, "competative gaming".

That poo poo ruins games. Because every Joe McFucknuts with a mouse thinks he can go "pro" it breeds this super toxic atmosphere of needing to always be 100% perfect and efficient. Then that trickles down the rest of the playerbase, until you're being called a stupid n***** in a training match against bots because you aren't flawlessly playing the char you've picked up for the first time ever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ShootaBoy posted:

That poo poo ruins games. Because every Joe McFucknuts with a mouse thinks he can go "pro" it breeds this super toxic atmosphere of needing to always be 100% perfect and efficient. Then that trickles down the rest of the playerbase, until you're being called a stupid n***** in a training match against bots because you aren't flawlessly playing the char you've picked up for the first time ever.

Dude beginner bots is serious poo poo how dare you not be perfect and know exactly what items to buy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

It also means that everyone is expected to play the min/max "optimal" build because gently caress just having fun with a game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Don't play MOBAs. Tons of other team games are fully of super helpful people who are more than willing to help new players get good at the game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

To be honest so are they, people just pile on "MOBAs" because it's the easy/popular one to blame, but I'll be damned if I haven't also met plenty of nice and cool people I've stayed buddies with on them, compared to the jumble of Call of Duty's and Battlefields and Counter-Strikes I've also played where all I can remember for massive strings of time in most of them is just the absolutely miserable shitbag human beings I was around. All genres are filled with awful people that are gonna be assholes because internet anonymity, but they all have helpful and good communities in them as well if you just look.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is Overwatch a MOBA?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Is Overwatch a MOBA?

Nope, it's just an objective-based team FPS.

Well actually if you wanna be goofy about it, virtually every game could be because "MOBA" is a stupid shorthand. "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena" or whatever that first got coined back in HoN.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Is Overwatch a MOBA?
I have run into like two rear end in a top hat players in Overwatch ever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have run into like two rear end in a top hat players in Overwatch ever.

De-emphasizing the actual score and which team won or lost in favor of focusing on individual accomplishments in a match was a genius move because it seems to have driven a lot of the rear end in a top hat pro players who only care about winning.

On the other hand it hasn't really done much to dissuade the usual Blizzard hordes who sink hundreds of hours into a game while bitching constantly about how unbalanced it is every time they lose :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I played a bunch of TF2 before purchases were a thing (hats ruined TF2, to link to the thread subject) and I've never played a MOBA like what I think they are. LoL or whatever. Everyone I know that plays those games is a spastic, Tourette's-afflicted 15-25 year old, so I've stayed away. I just want to know if Overwatch is one, because it looks really cool and the communities around it seem cool, but you can't trust a community to self-diagnose an affliction. LoL communities think that they're chill, and we know how true that is.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh, you sound like you'd fit right in.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm wondering just how old this guy is if he's complaining about 25-year-olds.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Overwatch's community is absolutely terrible and the only way to have a decent one is to completely remove everyone's ability to talk like Splatoon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't play MOBAs. Tons of other team games are fully of super helpful people who are more than willing to help new players get good at the game.

That poo poo fills pretty much any online game with even the vaguest of skill trees or gear choices though. Because gamers are morons who think following a wiki makes them smart. I really, really wish I'd saved all the WoW drama over whether or not a competent player in a raid should be allowed to come because they don't follow the popular meta with their build. If you didn't have your build set up the exact same way as everyone else, no one wanted you around even if you could top DPS charts, or tank just as well as anyone else because "that's not meta". Once they introduced gear score it got even dumber because they would drop people who knew the raid, could do the raid and had an excellent set up for some moron who ran out, grabbed a piece of PVP gear with all the wrong stats and shoved it on just for the sake of improving their gearscore.

The newest destiny, the raid starts at about 350 light and scales up to about 370 for the second half and it's entirely beatable by a group of people who aren't complete retards with about 360 light or so. As soon as the first clear went up, almost every group started demanding 375+ light. It was the same thing with the previous raid which wasn't hard at all and was just a test of whether or not you could understand the mechanics. People were so dumb they couldn't figure that out and had to get carried by teams of max light players to brute force it rather than learn how to stand on a drat platform.

I guess what I'm saying is that the thing that drags games down is the fact that gamers are idiots and unless you're playing with a dedicated group of friends, online games will almost always be poo poo because of them. But you can make almost anything fun when you do it with friends. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What the gently caress is light