Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Golden Battler posted:

Ever notice that Europe and Asia are the same landmass? Technically Africa too, if you don't count the Suez.

Afroeurasia is my favorite continent.

e: Basically in the real world the word "continent" doesn't really mean loving anything and Civ 6 just kinda says "ok medium landmasses are 1 continent, big landmasses can be 2, collections of islands are all the same continent"

That's... a good point :downs:

Back to questions: In addition to a guide, are there any "Let's Plays" that go through every turn start to finish and explain what's being done? Maybe that would help me understand what I'm doing wrong. I assume there are none for Civ 6 yet but I could swear I started watching one for Civ V a couple of years ago but I can't find it.

I must be doing something wrong, because right now on Chieftain difficulty I'm getting owned already on turn 27. I've built one city, one Scout, a Trader and a Holy Site but apparently that one city next to my capital was too close to Kongo and now they somehow have 5 Warriors on my doorstep while Barbarians have 2 already attacking me. :suicide: I feel like I've been busy these last turns been Kongo has somehow had the time to not only settle more cities than me but also build an army and move it to my capital. And this is all on babby difficulty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Turn 1: Build a slinger.

When that's done: Build another.

You now have enough defenses to last forever. Especially when you inevitably kill somethng with the slingers and get the bonus for Archery. Which you buy and upgrade because c'mon its like 20 gold.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think they did a great job in Civ design. Most feel overpowered but it can be in very different ways.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Your Computer posted:

Back to questions: In addition to a guide, are there any "Let's Plays" that go through every turn start to finish and explain what's being done? Maybe that would help me understand what I'm doing wrong. I assume there are none for Civ 6 yet but I could swear I started watching one for Civ V a couple of years ago but I can't find it.

Streamers have done full playthroughs since before release, here's one that I thought was generally helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByY_fjcfHqA

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
For anyone who's interested, I'm gunna be continuing streaming my Aztec Emperor ICS-ish game in like 40 minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/golden_battler

Come hang out if you feel like it, I enjoy talking to dudes/answering questions.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Is there no way to tell when and where a city's cultural borders will expand??

Asking this again :shobon:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yo, this game has more than one quote for a given piece of research. :aaa:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Your Computer posted:

I must be doing something wrong, because right now on Chieftain difficulty I'm getting owned already on turn 27. I've built one city, one Scout, a Trader and a Holy Site but apparently that one city next to my capital was too close to Kongo and now they somehow have 5 Warriors on my doorstep while Barbarians have 2 already attacking me. :suicide: I feel like I've been busy these last turns been Kongo has somehow had the time to not only settle more cities than me but also build an army and move it to my capital. And this is all on babby difficulty!

I'd say your mistake was building a Trader and a Holy Site before a military. Build at least 1 Slinger if you see any large military/barbarian forces anywhere near you, probably 2 or more as needed. Once you get the Eureka go straight for Archery, because Archers own most things in the early game aside from Heavy Chariot spam (and can generally manage to hold their ground even then).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've discovered that founding a religion on Immortal is extremely difficult, short of playing Arabia. The AI has too many bonuses and the player can't afford to focus on early Great Prophet generation without crippling themselves in the long run. It's kinda annoying that a major gameplay mechanic is this hard to access. Hopefully someone will release a mod for unlimited Great Prophets at some point.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

How come France has a -8 towards me for having bad espionage when we're in Classical and nobody has spies :mad:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Geight posted:

Okay so I don't wanna sound like a dick by asking this but: How do you pronounce the leader of Kongo's name?

Pretty sure it's pronounced the way it looks. "Mv" and "Nz" as initial consonant clusters aren't a thing in English, but if you just start making the M/N sound and then transition into the V/Z without sticking a vowel in between you'll be about right. The first vowels in the names rhyme with "them sing", and all the As are the sort of neutral A you get at he end of names like Linda. Sean Bean says it about how I'd expect in his opening narration.

EDIT: Speaking of pronunciation, Sean Bean's struggle with the name "Huitzilopochtli" is amazing. In the Huey Tocalli voiceover he gives it a nice shot but it comes out sounding like "Hoochly Poochly"

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 23, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You spent 0 turns building a military so you can't complain about it. You don't need to build scouts, monuments, settlers, or even builders, much less things like traders and holy sites. Settle on a hill, build only warriors. Research archers and then change to building archers. Attack everyone around you for the first two eras, including city states.

They basically made the civ6 AI do what all players in higher difficulties in civ5 did and that was snowball through stealing cities and builders instead of building your own. But that doesn't exactly make for a fun gameplay. It is also significantly easier to take cities early on in civ6 because they don't come with city bombardment. Atleast in civ5 you could also do something else like build a scout but, in civ6 because of the movement changes scouts are pretty useless and because of the more aggressive AIs you're punished for not being even MORE aggressive. Then you reach the medieval age with like 5 cities and there's no challenge left except having to change production for every single one of your city - because there's no build queue, and surprise barbarians pillages - because there is no sentry mode and barbarian sightings is just one among a bunch of other crap notifications that silently pop up in the bottom right of your screen.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 23, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Asking this again :shobon:

Nope!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Golden Battler posted:

I'd say your mistake was building a Trader and a Holy Site before a military.

I think my reasoning was that the better I start accumulating Faith the better, and the Trader means a lot of gold since I'm Cleopatra. Also I listened to my advisor which I guess might be a bad thing :downs:

Also I'm still having trouble figuring out when to build Settlers. In Civ V I was absolutely garbage at large empires so I usually just kept 2-4 really huge cities and played really defensively, but Civ 6 seems to discourage this playstyle/encourage making many cities. All the good spots get taken so quickly by the AI, or they build so close to me that they get mad when I expand. Should I just prioritize Settlers and Slingers for my first few projects?

And what about Builders? In Civ V it was pretty straightforward with Workers, but I haven't quite figured out how to use the Builders yet (how many, how soon, how important).

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You spent 0 turns building a military so you can't complain about it. You don't need to build scouts, monuments, settlers, or even builders, much less things like traders and holy sites. Settle on a hill, build only warriors. Research archers and then change to building archers. Attack everyone around you for the first two eras, including city states.

I've never played aggressively in Civ (and never won a Domination victory) because trying to move an army around is super awkward and time/gold consuming :saddowns: Also because I'm a peace-loving hippie. I haven't tried playing aggressively yet in Civ 6, so maybe the penalties are a bit less severe? In Civ V the few times I tried being aggressive it just cost tons of money and my cities were angry and starving, and I couldn't build any cool Wonders or buildings because I had to spend my building/tech on warfare.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 23, 2016

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
This game needs the latest Sim City visualization screen that lets you search for something and grays out all the tiles that don't have that thing.
This would be great for searching for and finding all tiles that have a resource. Could do it for units and districts too.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

As players get good, this game is going to get trivially easy on singleplayer with some elbow grease. There's just so many fiddly bits that the player is going to be able to do better than the AI. It's a shame, because I think those things generally add a lot of depth to the game, but they give more opportunity to leverage greater micromanagement over the AI.

Normal Adult Human posted:

so what is your strategy for playing this game beyond 40 turns before getting bored and restarting

Make the numbers bigger

PirateBob posted:

Me-vem-ba a ne-zin-gah I think

I've usually heard Nzinga pronounced like just "zing-ah" before, probably with an extra consonant bit at the beginning that's difficult for my anglo brain to pick up. I'm not sure though, I'm also not a linguist or historian or anything.

Skyl3lazer posted:

How come France has a -8 towards me for having bad espionage when we're in Classical and nobody has spies :mad:

Envoys and traders are pre-spy espionage :ssh:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is there any way to make it so that the game actually tells me what non-unit things new techs do, like bonuses to mines/adjacency bonuses for farms, and whatever other things you can get out of them? I don't see that listed anywhere.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I think my reasoning was that the better I start accumulating Faith the better, and the Trader means a lot of gold since I'm Cleopatra. Also I listened to my advisor which I guess might be a bad thing :downs:

Also I'm still having trouble figuring out when to build Settlers. In Civ V I was absolutely garbage at large empires so I usually just kept 2-4 really huge cities and played really defensively, but Civ 6 seems to discourage this playstyle/encourage making many cities. All the good spots get taken so quickly by the AI, or they build so close to me that they get mad when I expand. Should I just prioritize Settlers and Slingers for my first few projects?

And what about Builders? In Civ V it was pretty straightforward with Workers, but I haven't quite figured out how to use the Builders yet (how many, how soon, how important).

I don't think you need to do just warriors off the bat, but having some helps. Defensive scouts help as well.

Settlers take a pop from a city, I found that waiting until the city got up to somewhere around 3-6, depending on how fast it's growing and how much you need another city seems to work. In general if your city is hitting it's housing cap it's cool to build settlers.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is there any way to make it so that the game actually tells me what non-unit things new techs do, like bonuses to mines/adjacency bonuses for farms, and whatever other things you can get out of them? I don't see that listed anywhere.

Hover over a tech in the tech tree for a few seconds

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

...Hover over a tech in the tech tree for a few seconds
On this topic, I found this post elsewhere amusing

quote:

Firaxis Slowly Losing Ability to Make Small 2D Images

Improvement Yield Bonuses
Civ 4: Distinct icons
Civ 5: Single generic icon for all kinds of effects
Civ 6: No icon - you have to open the tech tree and mouse over the empty space of the tech

Civics/Policies
Civ 4: Distinct icons
Civ 5: Distinct icons, but monochrome
Civ 6: One of four generic icons

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 23, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone have a decent guide on how the new religion mechanics work? It seems to be similar to Gods and Kings, but I can't actually see any markers for spreading influence, just the round rings.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Any tips on how to develop on higher difficulties? Prince is pretty drat easy, but even King is tough if I dont get lucky with huts and placement.

I used to win the odd deity game in Civ 5 with Immortal being a 4/5 win or so, but Ive not figured much out on this one yet.

Probably the most annoying thing is it being very hard to catch the scouts so you often end up with plenty of barbs annoying you.

Touchdown Boy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 23, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Touchdown Boy posted:

Any tips on how to develop on higher difficulties? Prince is pretty drat easy, but even King is tough if I dont get lucky with huts and placement.

I used to win the odd deity game in Civ 5 with Immortal being a 4/5 win or so, but Ive not figured much out on this one yet.

Probably the most annoying thing is it being very hard to catch the scouts so you often end up with plenty of barbs annoying you.

Civ VI is a bit more dynamic, so fi you're not cheesing exploits, so it depends on your strategy and the civ you're playing.

In general I recommend building a lot of industrial zones. And mines. Production is important.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Just wanting to know if the common populous agrees with me -
Scythia is absolutely bonkers, right? As in they were crazy to release this Civ as it is?

Her unique unit is stupid strong for the time it comes out, is self sustaining and doesn't require you to have horses.
Cavalry also gets doubled and doesn't require gunpowder. Their movement means they will get to where they need to go, if your settler starts adjacent to these people kiss your capital goodbye.

It seems like the most reliable conquest Civ in the game up until late game where "people with guns on horses" are too weak to be viable.
The early game advantage this Civ has just feels super dirty. It forces your neighbors to go full military or lose the game while you have the luxury of actually building things.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 23, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

:newlol:

Do batterings rams not work or something? I've got one adjacent to a city and my melee units standing right next to it aren't getting a bonus.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 23, 2016

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Mass archer + 1-2 meele units to take cities eats AI alive, just fought 5 AI's after each other without loseing a single archer..

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing that annoys me is that the AI will still bother you regularly with bullshit proposals. Every single turn there's at least one, often several of those fuckers asking me for a literal handout. Things like "give me these three luxury resources, get nothing in return.". A player would never have any reason accept that kind of thing (if they want to make a gift for good will, they can do that at any time anyhow), what's the point of the AI even asking?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The Gorp posted:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll keep the idiot questions coming; when you build a new city and everything takes 20+ turns to make what do you usually start producing first? Archers and walls to defend it, builders to improve resources or a Granary to improve growth? Or perhaps something else entirely?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Depends on what era, what I need that city for, and where the city is located.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Perestroika posted:

One thing that annoys me is that the AI will still bother you regularly with bullshit proposals. Every single turn there's at least one, often several of those fuckers asking me for a literal handout. Things like "give me these three luxury resources, get nothing in return.". A player would never have any reason accept that kind of thing (if they want to make a gift for good will, they can do that at any time anyhow), what's the point of the AI even asking?

My favourite instance of this was when I got jeans from a great person. Every single other civ showed up, cap in hand, begging for a share of that sweet, sweet denim.

It's worse when they offer something insulting like 1g per turn in late game or open borders when I can't even get to their borders anyway.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there something buggy about war weariness? Mine never seems to be going down after I eliminated China and took all of his cities and I really want to teach Montezuma a lesson now but ww is loving up my growth already and it'll take a while to get him to capitulate :jerry:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I built Chichén Itzá for the first time. It's certainly nice if you're surrounded by jungle.

But man I thought I was joking about them using Yelp reviews for quotes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Your Computer posted:

I'll keep the idiot questions coming; when you build a new city and everything takes 20+ turns to make what do you usually start producing first? Archers and walls to defend it, builders to improve resources or a Granary to improve growth? Or perhaps something else entirely?

You should use your massive gold pile to buy a granary and a monument, have the new city build your unique district.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And then probably an industrial district. Now that I am on the chopping train it seems almost vital to getting a new city online and I would prioritize putting cities near large swaths of forest/rainforest

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
LOL it's turn 628 on marathon and the barbarians just popped a BATTLESHIP. The turn before, I discovered Steam, so maybe that's related. What the gently caress, Firaxis?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

greazeball posted:

Is there something buggy about war weariness? Mine never seems to be going down after I eliminated China and took all of his cities and I really want to teach Montezuma a lesson now but ww is loving up my growth already and it'll take a while to get him to capitulate :jerry:

It takes a while to decay, it's designed for situations like this, so you can't turbo war forever.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Gorp posted:

Scythia is absolutely bonkers, right? As in they were crazy to release this Civ as it is?

It seems pretty strong, but the most broken part is the likely unintended Scythia horse gamble of making horseman and immediately selling them, which can net silly amounts of gold

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Is the music bugged to change if you capture other civs cities? Playing as Japan, and I captured one Russian city and ever since it seems like I get nothing but the Russian theme playing.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It takes a while to decay, it's designed for situations like this, so you can't turbo war forever.

but I'm mad now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I just got the game, played a bit of the tutorial and then quit out to do some other things. Went back in and updated the settings to go Borderless Windowed, restarted the game and now when I click "continue" to get to the main menu the game crashes. I'd happy change it back to Fullscreen if, ya know, I could get to the settings.