Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Usually the watch announcement is like six months ahead of launch though. :/
Usually? Google have never launched a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I recently got a job in a call center and my floor managers are very strict about having phones on the floor (they will fire you if they see you with your phone out 3 times). I've noticed that a lot of my coworkers have android wear devices because it allows them to check their messages while they're on the job. I've never considered getting a smartwatch before but I'm probably going to get one now just so I can read my texts emails etc while I'm at work.

I'm looking at the Huawei watch right now becuase it's cheap and at least somewhat attractive. It's between that and the moto 360 v2. What would you guys recommend? I'm currently using a second generation moto E because I dropped my m8 in the ocean about a month ago and needed a placeholder phone. I really don't care about speed or battery life or anything like that I just need to be able to read my messages at work.

My advice is to find a different job that doesn't involve working for Hitler. :wtc:

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Did anyone buy a Ticwatch 2. I was tempted for the early bird price but the curiously official looking blog posts that appeared to shill it around the time of the Kickstarter, the late reveal that it WASN'T supporting Android Wear and current reports that the watch still only works properly in China. Wow. Glad I dodged that bullet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KillHour posted:

My advice is to find a different job that doesn't involve working for Hitler. :wtc:

That's a pretty standard call center rule because a lot of them involve payment info. That said, if you're working at a call center you're probably at the bottom of the barrel because they are approximately the worst thing ever and a better job probably isn't really an option

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I just bought a "manufacturer refurbished" Moto 360 (1st gen) for pretty cheap and while I wasn't expecting incredible battery life, it seems there's definitely something wrong. While connected to my phone the battery will go from say 61% to 49% within 10 minutes. With airplane mode on it will go from 49% to 39% in a little over 2 hours. Only the default apps are installed, default watch face, etc.

The battery was dead when I got it (earlier today) so I charged to about 80%, factory reset, paired, and it did a software update to 5.1.1. I've read a bit and it seems a lot of people (in 2014) had to do some weird voodoo at first to get it to last more than a few hours like multiple factory resets and restarts and pairings. Could this be fixed thru software? I've noticed that at first the watch would sometimes drain even while on the charger.

If it's hardware, is it more likely to be a logicboard problem or battery? I can install a new battery no problem but if it's the board I might as well return the thing now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Prob never had the battery replaced.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

R.L. Stine posted:

I just bought a "manufacturer refurbished" Moto 360 (1st gen) for pretty cheap and while I wasn't expecting incredible battery life, it seems there's definitely something wrong. While connected to my phone the battery will go from say 61% to 49% within 10 minutes. With airplane mode on it will go from 49% to 39% in a little over 2 hours. Only the default apps are installed, default watch face, etc.

The battery was dead when I got it (earlier today) so I charged to about 80%, factory reset, paired, and it did a software update to 5.1.1. I've read a bit and it seems a lot of people (in 2014) had to do some weird voodoo at first to get it to last more than a few hours like multiple factory resets and restarts and pairings. Could this be fixed thru software? I've noticed that at first the watch would sometimes drain even while on the charger.

If it's hardware, is it more likely to be a logicboard problem or battery? I can install a new battery no problem but if it's the board I might as well return the thing now.

Just return it, it's not worth the hassle for what was already an underperforming device.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

R.L. Stine posted:

Mine was absolute poo poo garbage until it was done updating/syncing/whatever. If yours is done downloading apps and it's been doing this for more than a day or two just return it, why would you gently caress around with fixing something that's brand new and broken?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don Lapre posted:

Burn in can happen on any oled display, even with pixel shifting

The lgs seem to be particularly bad though

Store displays on always-on demo mode don't count. If there are burn in problems there minuscule because even on reddit you don't see complaints about it.

Tunga posted:

Usually? Google have never launched a watch.

Pretty sure you can understand what I meant.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KillHour posted:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That's a pretty standard call center rule because a lot of them involve payment info. That said, if you're working at a call center you're probably at the bottom of the barrel because they are approximately the worst thing ever and a better job probably isn't really an option

It's actually not that bad. I get 15$ an hour and dental. My coworkers are also pretty cool. That said I'm looking for another job and I just started working here like a month ago lol.

I have a college degree and stuff I just really need the money :( :(

But yeah the clients won't let us have our phones out because we could theoretically screenshot customer credit card info and stuff like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Store displays on always-on demo mode don't count. If there are burn in problems there minuscule because even on reddit you don't see complaints about it.

You mean like this? (For those who don't want to visit Reddit, I wouldn't either. Here's the watchface he used and here's the burn in.) The Redditor in question said that's after a week.

Now gently caress you for making me go to Reddit. If you need me I'll be showering.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
My battery drained at a much more acceptable rate on the second day after Marshmallow installed so I'm probably going to hold onto it as-is unless today isn't the same or better. I've heard stories of LiPo batteries taking a bit of time to reach their full potential but I assume that's probably garbage science.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

R.L. Stine posted:

My battery drained at a much more acceptable rate on the second day after Marshmallow installed so I'm probably going to hold onto it as-is unless today isn't the same or better. I've heard stories of LiPo batteries taking a bit of time to reach their full potential but I assume that's probably garbage science.
It's not the battery, it's just a thing that Wear seams to do for the first day or two. Syncing and stuff I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

64bit_Dophins posted:

It's actually not that bad. I get 15$ an hour and dental. My coworkers are also pretty cool. That said I'm looking for another job and I just started working here like a month ago lol.

I have a college degree and stuff I just really need the money :( :(

But yeah the clients won't let us have our phones out because we could theoretically screenshot customer credit card info and stuff like that.

Yeah I liked my coworkers too but working at a call center was approximately the equivalent of spending six months getting kicked in the dick

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

For what it's worth I've had that watch (LG G Watch R) for 2 years (bought release day), wear it most days, and still don't have any burn in. Battery life is still great (60℅ at the end of the day).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah I liked my coworkers too but working at a call center was approximately the equivalent of spending six months getting kicked in the dick

I've been getting kicked in the dick all my life. At least this time I get health insurance.

That said, I plan on leaving this job at around the six month mark lol.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So my year and 10 month old Moto 360 no longer lasts a day at work (11 hours in total off the charger).

Any recommended fixes apart from the terrible process of battery replacement or replacement if the entire thing?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

spiky butthole posted:

So my year and 10 month old Moto 360 no longer lasts a day at work (11 hours in total off the charger).

Any recommended fixes apart from the terrible process of battery replacement or replacement if the entire thing?

It's under warranty, RMA it. It was relatively painless when Motorola wasn't Lenovo and I can't imagine it's changed all that much.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Continuing the "I'm not rich, just stupid" theme, I just bought the LG Urbane LTE second edition (silver and black version). I love my Huawei Watch for the most part but I'm a big dude with a blue collar job, I like giant watches, and it's so small on my wrist. It's starting to bug me. And I'm getting the new gadget itch (shut up PSVR thread readers, I know). Add to that I didn't know:

1. It's for sale?!? I always loved the look of it but I thought it was Korean only then had some sort of issue and got yanked forever.
2. It's Android Wear. I thought it was webOS, which was a dealbreaker. Guess only in Korea.
3. It has a higher resolution and a bigger battery than the other AW smart watches, which of course lasts longer if you don't use LTE.
4. The Canadian dollar has rebounded a bit since it first came out

It looks sexy as hell, always liked the appearance over all other smart watches, and I MUST OWN ALL WATCHES... and I don't trust google to hit it out of the park aesthetically on the first smart watch try.

I get to drive over the US border for this one (roughly an hour away), not even selling on ebay or Canadian sites for reasonable prices. Couldn't care less about the LTE at the prices I'd have to pay in Soviet Canuckistan, but just love the look and better specs is always a bonus.

Here's a specs comparison of the LG WULTESE (haha) vs the other big dogs

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7607&idPhone2=7687&idPhone3=7683

Decent video showing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHeIwEnWk8Q

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

On that note, I'm selling my like-new Huawei Watch for $169.99 US or $222.99 Canadian including shipping. Check SA Mart for photos and details: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794461

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 17, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FYI, the LG WULTESE does have a officially supported single band alternative, just found this out myself

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JSG0QFK

Maybe just as polarizing as black rubber though...

LTE antennas are in the band itself in case anyone didn't know.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I still can't see the need for a LTE smartwatch. Independence from the phone, sure but the capability is so limited for the price and carrying a phone with you isn't that difficult is it? Even when jogging.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

logikv9 posted:

I still can't see the need for a LTE smartwatch. Independence from the phone, sure but the capability is so limited for the price and carrying a phone with you isn't that difficult is it? Even when jogging.

This is a person who thinks like me.

I'm a runner and it is nearly zero effort to keep a phone with me.

It feels like something manufacturers are doing just because they can.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Walking around an unfamiliar city using google maps in your watch to navigate is a transformative experience.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Nitrousoxide posted:

Walking around an unfamiliar city using google maps in your watch to navigate is a transformative experience.

How so?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's no need to constantly pull out your phone to check where you need to turn next. You don't look like as good a mark for snatching your stuff by looking at your phone all the time because it just looks like you're checking the time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maps on Wear is really nice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Even while driving it's really nice. Before I got a proper mount my phone lived in my cupholder, which was not a very good place to have to glance down to when approaching a not-so-straightforward intersection in traffic. It's a lot easier to look at my wrist.

Also if I was trying to listen to a game or something where I didn't have my phone connected to my car stereo the vibrations when a turn is coming up are really nice.

I really wish Waze would do the same, since I prefer it over GMaps for police alerts and more aggressive routing around traffic.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Even while driving it's really nice. Before I got a proper mount my phone lived in my cupholder, which was not a very good place to have to glance down to when approaching a not-so-straightforward intersection in traffic. It's a lot easier to look at my wrist.

Also if I was trying to listen to a game or something where I didn't have my phone connected to my car stereo the vibrations when a turn is coming up are really nice.

I really wish Waze would do the same, since I prefer it over GMaps for police alerts and more aggressive routing around traffic.

Yeah that's more what I meant since I'm not a walker. To me it's the most impressive thing about having a Wear device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I just bought a refurbished ZenWatch 2 off of ebay for $79. My OG Moto 360 battery only lasts for like 5 hours anymore, so I figure this will hold me over for cheap until the next wave of Wear watches come out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Really happy with my LG WULTESE, noticeable upgrade in resolution and responsiveness from the huawei watch. Looks great too, although don't buy unless you have linebacker sized arms or it will look ridiculously large.

Sorry if this image is huge, posting from my phone in the middle of nowhere Washington and Olive Garden wifi has blocked most image hosting sites.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed that text messages that I reply to from my watch don't clear away. I'm using Google's Messenger app for texting. Is that just how it is, or is there some way to fix that?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK Google detection worked perfectly when connected to my 6p and not at all when connected to my pixel xl, no matter how many times I reset stuff. :( Frustrating to say the least.

My supervisor was asking about it and of course that's when I found out it doesn't work at all.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Changes on the Google Store:

ASUS ZenWatch 2 is gone, the new square-faced option is the Polar M600, a fitness-oriented smartwatch which reviewers say has accurate heart rate monitoring.

Casio Smart Outdoor Watch is gone, now the Nixon - The Mission is available.

Michael Kors Access Dylan is added.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Got my refurbed ZenWatch 2 that is supposed to hold me over until Google's own smartwatches come out.

It's an OK device. Nothing amazing, but it functions fine, doesn't look like poo poo, quicker than the OG Moto 360 I'm replacing.

(except the fuckers sent me the wrong band. I'm going back and forth on doing the return or just buying a new band myself. There's a small but not insignificant chance I'd replace the band even if they sent me the correct one.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I tried reconnecting my LG WULTESE to the 6p and the mic still doesn't work. So I guess I bought a lemon. Had to drive to the states to get it too. :(

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

ASUS ZenWatch 2 is gone, the new square-faced option is the Polar M600, a fitness-oriented smartwatch which reviewers say has accurate heart rate monitoring.

God, everything polar makes look so cheap and yet is so expensive.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
If you want a watch for sports just forget about AW and get a Garmin VivoActive HR. I spent months agonizing over this and ended up going back to the very first watch I came across.

It's brilliant. Ugly screen but not ugly on your wrist and everything fitness related is superb. Lost 6.5kg so far.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Has anyone tried Wear 2.0? How is it? Only works on Huatches and WULTESEs apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvLewY0-Ts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Has anyone tried Wear 2.0? How is it? Only works on Huatches and WULTESEs apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvLewY0-Ts

I tried one of the betas (second one I think) on my hwatch and reverted after a day. It was the first time I've had a Google beta product that actually felt beta. I'd even say it felt alpha. There's good reason it's been delayed further IMO.