Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

obi_ant posted:

What is a good place to buy some used Legos? I'm looking to buy complete sets, with manuals. Nothing too old or special, just don't want to pay full price.

You can sometimes get some good deals on ebay, but bricklink can be a good resource for complete unboxed sets. Even better if you go for sets sans minifigures, since a lot of star wars sets can be had on the cheap if you don't need the minifigs.

It may also be worth forgoing instructions since many can be found freely available online, and sometimes the instructions can add a bit to the value of a set. Depends on whether you're going for lowest cost or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

It's listed on the shop at $280:

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Assembly-Square-10255?CMP=SOC-FBIG-AssemblySquareAnnouncement

Be sure to click on that. It has more pictures and shows a lot of the details.

Good price for 4002 pieces. This is a day 1 purchase for me.

Oh, pictures, let see? Oh... looks kind of ok... nice minifigs. I always like food stores in lego... oh a baby getting photos, cute.. loving KID WITH A MODULAR SET IN THE MODULAR SET! THEY BUILT THE LEGO EIFFEL TOWER IN THE SET! Must buy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Invictus posted:

You can sometimes get some good deals on ebay, but bricklink can be a good resource for complete unboxed sets. Even better if you go for sets sans minifigures, since a lot of star wars sets can be had on the cheap if you don't need the minifigs.

It may also be worth forgoing instructions since many can be found freely available online, and sometimes the instructions can add a bit to the value of a set. Depends on whether you're going for lowest cost or not.

He said complete sets. Bricklink has some deals, but they never take into account shipping. I'm yet to find a good deal on a set after the shipping in comparison with Ebay.

Or just get lucky at Barnes and Noble and pay $2 for a new set.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The Lepin Tower of Orthanc gets a solid "okay" from me. A few missing pieces, nothing too crucial, but some substitution pieces that didn't really work, e.g. 1x1 black bricks with an extra stud on one side, which are used to place flat columns down the outside of the tower, instead they were the type where the side-stud is slightly indented (like a car headlight piece), which mean the flat pieces could not be attached. If I get a bunch of flat 1x1 black pieces I'll be able to fix it.

I had been planning on messaging the seller to ask if they're planning on any other LotR or castle style not-lego sets, but I'm not that eager to do so any more. Still a great kit, hugely imposing and barely fitting in my cabinet!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there anyone here who happens to be a big model fan but not a minifig fan? There are quite a few Rogue One minifigs I want and I'd like to not buy the set, and avoid some of the BrickLink prices if possible. So if you got Krennik's Shuttle and think you might not need two Death Troopers, I would be happy to take one off your hands. Or if you got the hovertank and don't want two pilots, etc.

I'm mostly looking for the Imperial figs from Rogue One, plus Spider Man from Civil War - though probably nobody bought that set for the truck.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone know what time the Lego store puts new stock out? IE: what time PST will Yellow Sub show up?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Zodack posted:

Is there anyone here who happens to be a big model fan but not a minifig fan? There are quite a few Rogue One minifigs I want and I'd like to not buy the set, and avoid some of the BrickLink prices if possible. So if you got Krennik's Shuttle and think you might not need two Death Troopers, I would be happy to take one off your hands. Or if you got the hovertank and don't want two pilots, etc.

I'm mostly looking for the Imperial figs from Rogue One, plus Spider Man from Civil War - though probably nobody bought that set for the truck.

I think the current leak is that the Death Troopers are gonna show up in next year's battle pack, so you might wanna hold off on $90 set prices for them, for what it's worth.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Koramei posted:

I think the current leak is that the Death Troopers are gonna show up in next year's battle pack, so you might wanna hold off on $90 set prices for them, for what it's worth.

Oh! Nice. They're around $8 each on BrickLink, so I was trying to avoid that too.

I've been out of the loop on LEGO news lately, minus seeing a set list of Star Wars 2017 sets, I think.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Zodack posted:

The Hawkeye that comes with that set is unique as well I think (for now at least), which is what tipped me into buying it. Also Vision's gem color is fixed.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone know what time the Lego store puts new stock out? IE: what time PST will Yellow Sub show up?

When I ordered the holiday train I was able to get it at midnight eastern time.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

I'm in the process of building a lepin SSD with my girlfriend. So far I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the bricks and minifigs all things considered.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Finally found the series 9 mixels in store yesterday, picked up the trash trio. Strongly considering the others, too.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Our local 5 below is running 2 for $5 on the dimensions fun packs, don't know if it's a chain wide promotion. Mostly chima and Ninjago with some lotr and Lego movie.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone in Socal want to go to the Downtown Disney store and pick up a $99 Temple of Airjitzu for me?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I finally caved and bought Big Ben to go with our tower bridge. I got double VIP points and a red bus freebie for my purchase. I already have a white single shelf to wall mount it.
And I guess then VIP points will go towards Buckingham Palace.
Yes I like Lego and London, how could you tell?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Buckingham is on sale at Amazon right now.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

MaliciousOnion posted:

Finally found the series 9 mixels in store yesterday, picked up the trash trio. Strongly considering the others, too.

Nindjas are really good. Camsters I could take or leave.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
One of the employees in my local Lego Store told me the Yellow Submarine set was going to be $80, even though every other site I've read has listed it as $60. The Lego dude was mistaken, correct?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

One of the employees in my local Lego Store told me the Yellow Submarine set was going to be $80, even though every other site I've read has listed it as $60. The Lego dude was mistaken, correct?

I mean... no one here can say... but he's just a guy and the Lego site, like, arguably has oversight and people getting their facts straight, so..

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Yellow-Submarine-21306

It has 553 pieces. Few are particularly large. $60 seems about right for the number of pieces. $60 is what the website says.

It will be $90. Minimum. From Ebay scalpers.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Clever use of sausages.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ebay scalpers? You think it will be in short supply? Ecto1 was readily available and so is Dr Who...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They will make a bajillion of those yellow submarines.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Some people just *have* to have something day one, and/or don't know how to shop online.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It appears that the re-sellers are targeting the sub. That and the Disney Castle are thought to be the big $$ makers this holiday season. I loving hate those guys. I have this dream that Ebay starts requiring UPC to list and anything less than a year old is not allowed. Kill the scalper market to some degree.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waltzing Along posted:

I have this dream that Ebay starts requiring UPC to list and anything less than a year old is not allowed. Kill the scalper market to some degree.

That's a pretty dumb and shortsighted dream

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I probably should have added "above MSRP" but whatever. Dreams fade away when you awake to reality.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

People who complain about scalpers are the same people that three years from now still sell something for 8x MSRP because "that's what it's worth". I really don't see the difference in selling something for double what they paid now versus a year from now.

If some idiot is willing to pay a ton of money for something that just came out that's their problem. Just don't buy from them. If you need whatever set so badly then put the time and effort in that the 'scalper' did to get it in the first place.

Ira Glass Jaw fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 23, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ira Glass Jaw posted:

People who complain about scalpers are the same people that three years from now still sell something for 8x MSRP because "that's what it's worth".

...or they're people who just want to build a loving toy without having to schedule their life around acquiring it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has a single set been that hard to find because of scalpers in years? Aside from promo/ comic con exclusive type stuff or whatever. I have never had trouble finding one that's in production.

Even if something sells out they just make more and you can buy it later.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Ira Glass Jaw posted:

People who complain about scalpers are the same people that three years from now still sell something for 8x MSRP because "that's what it's worth". I really don't see the difference in selling something for double what they paid now versus a year from now.

If some idiot is willing to pay a ton of money for something that just came out that's their problem. Just don't buy from them. If you need whatever set so badly then put the time and effort in that the 'scalper' did to get it in the first place.

It's kind of hard not to see the difference between some rear end in a top hat buying out the stock purely to make immediate profit versus someone who bought one or two items to keep one as a long term investment.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Ira Glass Jaw posted:

Not really. Its the method not the money. Scalpers are the ones who buy up stock when something goes on sale denying others who actually have a life and can't bumrush a website or store the second an item goes live.

If I buy a set and months or a year later its ridiculously expensive sure I might think about selling it (I wouldn't, as my black sea barracuda can attest) but that's completely different from one guy buying up 30 copies of Yellow Submarine just to falsely create a short supply and flipping them on ebay for profit.

Not to mention the pure greed motivation is ugly but thats just a personal opinion.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well you can only buy 1 Big Ben, why not limit it to 1 sub per buyer?
But companies never do that, they don't care who they sell to as long as they sell at all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Electromax posted:

I modularized it and started working on a Monk's Cafe to go underneath:

Alright, last one because I'm gonna stop working on it for now, but I made a roof and stuff. I also ran out of grey tiles so I sort of approximated the logo on the sidewalk instead.

I started making an interior to the restaurant, but put in the red booths and got bored. Someday.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hopper posted:

Well you can only buy 1 Big Ben, why not limit it to 1 sub per buyer?
But companies never do that, they don't care who they sell to as long as they sell at all.

The limited edition technic crawler was limited to 1 or 2 per person / account, and scalpers were still posting pictures of 50+ of them in their basements.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There will always be loopholes. One common one is just asking friends and such to buy them for you and paying them back.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Speaking of hoarding and scalpers, the UK Lego Store website says that some biggies are retiring.
http://www.bricktoynews.com/lego-sets-retiring-ewok-village-pet-shop-opera-house/

75059 Star Wars Sandcrawler
21304 Doctor Who
21303 Wall-E
21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1
10236 Ewok Village
10234 Sydney Opera House
10218 Pet Shop

21302 The Big Bang Theory

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego has gotten pretty good with second runs of sets. I think only the early ideas sets never really had enough produced to satisfy demand.

Yeah the initial rush means you won't get one at launch, but wait a couple months and dozens will be chilling on shelves.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wasn't the initial run of Wall-e screwed up? So it was better to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

Speaking of hoarding and scalpers, the UK Lego Store website says that some biggies are retiring.
http://www.bricktoynews.com/lego-sets-retiring-ewok-village-pet-shop-opera-house/

75059 Star Wars Sandcrawler
21304 Doctor Who
21303 Wall-E
21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1
10236 Ewok Village
10234 Sydney Opera House
10218 Pet Shop

21302 The Big Bang Theory

Gunna scalp The Big Bang Theory, people will never get sick of that show.