Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Marketing destroys everything.
I bet we only have a bunch of dumb MP DLC because they thought that MP would carry the game and were wrong so now we're stuck with no new SP content other than Arcade Mode, which is great but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I bet we only have a bunch of dumb MP DLC because they thought that MP would carry the game and were wrong so now we're stuck with no new SP content other than Arcade Mode, which is great but still.

I think this is the reason. The fact that all of the season pass DLC would be multiplayer only was known prior to the game release, and I think when the game released and everyone loved the single player but not the multiplayer, they had already invested too much time/money to change things, not to mention potentially angering the people that did enjoy the multiplayer. It seems like the arcade mode/snapmap campaign stuff is there attempt to create more single player content with the limited amount of resources that aren't devoted to creating the already promised Season Pass DLC.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Downloading this right now, I'm gonna have to leave it to download overnight. Feels like 2007 again :v: Can't wait to RIP AND TEAR :black101:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I did do this, but with no luck unfortunately.

Don't reinstall until you try deleting the settings config file for it. You'll need to look it up ..there's a single file but I can't remember or lookup the name right now .. but I had the exact same problem after the last update and it rebuilt the file when I relaunched it. Good luck.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I like the idea of arcade mode, I just wish they had modified the maps to remove all the key hunting and switch throwing. I never want to not be ripping and tearing demon guts.

Jack Trades posted:

Doom came out right before Overwatch hit. MP Doom was Doomed from the start.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Kins posted:

The exact wording was "We currently don’t have any plans to create additional campaign content directly". Which probably leaves some back-doors open for them to release exactly that in some form, but for now it's just kinda disappointing.

I would happily give them $15 for a single-player mission pack. I though publishers liked money?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
holy gently caress ultra nightmare in arcade is so satisfying

I cannot beat the second map because I am absolutely loving poo poo at fps but it KINDA feels like less horribly difficult devil daggers but with more rip and tear.

I need to become less poo poo at fps

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I see Zero-Master has the top spot on several levels. FIGURES

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
I just got this game, and oh my god it beautifully captures, "Doom".

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
Was Carmack involved in this? Because it runs so good, I have to believe he waved his magic dick all over this.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nahrix posted:

Was Carmack involved in this? Because it runs so good, I have to believe he waved his magic dick all over this.

Partially. Snapmap was his idea. He was working on this before leaving for Oculus.

Really id's programmers are all Disciples of Carmack.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nahrix posted:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Partially. Snapmap was his idea. He was working on this before leaving for Oculus.

Really id's programmers are all Disciples of Carmack.
A lot of the engine team that filled Carmack's void are folks who fled Crytek in the wake of their monetary troubles, to the point where Id have actually set up an office in Germany. Tiago Sousa is probably the most internet-visible, and he's a pretty nice guy!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh god. There's Bronze, Silver, and Gold rankings.

If you cross a hidden threshold (likely only possible by getting all Gold relics and the Doomguys bonuses), they combine into Slayer ranking.

Slayer ranking. S-Rank.

EDIT: Confirmed that you don't need all the bonuses, but they certainly help with crossing the threshold. No, I still haven't found the second Doomguy in Foundry :argh:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 22, 2016

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo this game owns so hard :gizz: also it runs so well and looks so good:pcgaming:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I guess co-op campaign/arcade is still a pipe dream but arcade mode seems like a step in the right direction.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If there's not a DOOM II announced within a year I'm gonna rip and tear my balls off.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Yodzilla posted:

If there's not a DOOM II announced within a year I'm gonna rip and tear my balls off.

:same:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So do the extra lives actually work or is saving throw still the best bet? With saving throw on I dont feel like I get an additional chance. Or maybe I am just getting punked more than I notice.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mindblast posted:

So do the extra lives actually work or is saving throw still the best bet? With saving throw on I dont feel like I get an additional chance. Or maybe I am just getting punked more than I notice.

Extra lives let you restart from checkpoint. If you don't have any you have to start the whole level over.

Of course there are no checkpoints on ultra nightmare and extra lives are just for points.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

What are... extra lives? Is that a non-ultra nightmare thing? :smug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

New Zealand can eat me posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yeah! It's for people who like to have fun playing video games instead of simulating smashing their genitalia with hammers

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Yeah! It's for people who like to have fun playing video games instead of simulating smashing their genitalia with hammers

You're not supposed to use your genitals on the keyboard, or hammers

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyway just played my first ever map on Ultra Nightmare and got Slayer Rank. Pretty happy about that. Not happy anout placing only 501, might need a second try.

Goddamn was it fun though. Doom is so good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I kinda feel like they're gonna get Quake out before we see DOOM 2.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
That Cyberdemon is not a very nice fellow. Almost has as much tricks up my sleeve as I do.

If anyone is bored, here's a guy fighting the Cyberdemon on an Ultra-Nightmare run using only the pistol and grenades. Also makes clever use of his other weapons and runes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVVc0FcS4E&t=13431s

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I am not an FPS skillpro but I really enjoyed DOOM. Arcade is so drat tasty. Also eat it fellow goons on my friends list (UAC, UN):

:smuggo:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Arcade is fantastic! Got into the top 10 on one of the levels, hell yeah.

I never really used runes when I was playing before. Discovering the magic of long range glory kill + fast glory kill + berserk was an experience. It's like moving through a tunnel made of gibs. :v:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Another thing that I liked about Doom was that in most games where there is a change in setting to a new world, you cross over and then you're there. It's an often criticized part of a game, like the Xen levels of Half-Life, the Trigens in FarCry, etc. Here however you're hopping back and forth which helps keep things fresh and moderates any potential (I didn't have any) problems a player might have with the 2nd setting. Doom owns.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Xerxes17 posted:

Another thing that I liked about Doom was that in most games where there is a change in setting to a new world, you cross over and then you're there. It's an often criticized part of a game, like the Xen levels of Half-Life, the Trigens in FarCry, etc. Here however you're hopping back and forth which helps keep things fresh and moderates any potential (I didn't have any) problems a player might have with the 2nd setting. Doom owns.

In fairness, I think that if you have any problems with the idea of going to Hell then Doom might not be your franchise. It's sort of implied to be the end goal in a way that your other two examples weren't. :v:

The big improvement they made in that department was having four huge hell levels instead of just one. They really learned on that score after Doom 3.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

HOLY FUCKIN poo poo ARGENT ENERGY TOWER IS SO INTENSE ON ULTRA NIGHTMARE. I'm honestly in love with this pacing though, I think that whole level took all of 5 minutes.

The last bit is truly a score attack, as you can survive without killing anything until you get teleported to hell, ending the level.

Where's the 2nd barbie doll at? Didn't see it anywhere obvious.

The relics are kind of annoying, multiple times I've had the orb shoot right through me, w/ or w/o vacuum. They do so little damage that there's almost always something more important to shoot until everything is dead

FPS Skillpro tips: Crank your sens up and set FOV to 110.

Air Movement rune is critical, even if you'll kill yourself a ton off boosters from forgetting that you have it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Anybody who rips and tears without the Launch Into Glory Kills From Farther Away + Fast Glory Kills runes is doing it wrong.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody who rips and tears without the Launch Into Glory Kills From Farther Away + Fast Glory Kills runes is doing it wrong.

These two and the air control rune are my favourite. Sometimes I swap the glory kill range for the armor drop one when things get hairy.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I'm a big fan of the long range glory kills, but I feel like finishing them faster would only get me killed more, because I often use the invuln from the animation to eat incoming damage heh

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

meatsaw posted:

Don't reinstall until you try deleting the settings config file for it. You'll need to look it up ..there's a single file but I can't remember or lookup the name right now .. but I had the exact same problem after the last update and it rebuilt the file when I relaunched it. Good luck.

I found a fix. DOOM launches and plays by adding this command to the launch settings via Steam. It's seems the problem is something to do with Vulkan.

-gl -w 1280 +sys_lang english +sys_langPlatform english +com_gameMode 2 +com_restarted 1 +r_renderAPI -2

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Noticing that a LOT of waypoints are outright wrong/broken in the later stages. They'll point you towards where you need to go while totally ignoring the item(s) and screens you need to interact with before you can access them.

I'm also not very interested in looking around for the barbie dolls/relics. Starts to feel a lot less like Arcade and a lot more like a chore, which is the opposite of fun.

:negative:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I'm a big fan of the long range glory kills, but I feel like finishing them faster would only get me killed more, because I often use the invuln from the animation to eat incoming damage heh

Interesting. I didn't think it worked that way.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

It's not a great strategy since you can still get pwned by a hit landing a millisecond after the fatality animation ends. No I'm not bitter

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I do enjoy Doom's MP but I just wish the DLC was a little cheaper. Kinda sucks it had to end up that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Linguica posted:

It's not a great strategy since you can still get pwned by a hit landing a millisecond after the fatality animation ends. No I'm not bitter

Pro strat is to mash jump and a direction (assuming you have air control), I haven't been killed post-glory kill once since I started doing this

Also, I'm happy there are several additional barons on the later maps on UN. They seemed too easy on just UV/Nightmare.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 27, 2016