Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

LSV Streams a Kaladesh Draft:
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/lsv-streams-a-kaladesh-draft-3/
Draft: 19:05
Match 1: 5:59
Match 2: 7:43
Match 3: 16:47
3-0 (6-0)

I'm on mobile, what the hell was his deck list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think it matters at this stage, LSV has trancended to the point where he could draft 40 clue tokens and still 6-0

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Remember folks, RIP has a trigger when it comes into play. Kent just sharked his opponent on camera when he moved a card that was in his graveyard to exile and moved it back stating that his opponent forgot to verbally say the trigger. One could argue he was going through the moves of exiling his card in effort to get his opponent to make a mistake. Always say it in comp rel.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

BJPaskoff posted:

RW haste aggro

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Remember folks, RIP has a trigger when it comes into play. Kent just sharked his opponent on camera when he moved a card that was in his graveyard to exile and moved it back stating that his opponent forgot to verbally say the trigger. One could argue he was going through the moves of exiling his card in effort to get his opponent to make a mistake. Always say it in comp rel.

You don't necessarily have to say it. If you move your graveyard out, tap it, or something, it's enough to demonstrate the trigger and you can't partially resolve a trigger like that. Also I'm pretty sure moving your own card like that demonstrates your opponent's trigger for them. I can't see how that ruling would stand.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

You don't necessarily have to say it. If you move your graveyard out, tap it, or something, it's enough to demonstrate the trigger and you can't partially resolve a trigger like that. Also I'm pretty sure moving your own card like that demonstrates your opponent's trigger for them. I can't see how that ruling would stand.

it does if the guy doesn't call a judge, but if it's a feature match someone should have called him out somewhere soooooo yeah someone dropped the ball i think

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

It was on camera and the judge sitting beside him ruled against the person who didn't say the trigger.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Well the "How this would happen if not done by an rear end in a top hat" version of events, would be you going ahead and doing something when your opponents plays something (like they play reflector mage, and you pick up your creature when you only have 1 in play) then going "oh, wait he actually has to say he's doing it first", waiting the guy doesnt acknowledge and plays some more stuff, and you shrug and it didnt happen. Like this would happen quite a few times for me last standard playing against Thermo Alchemist decks forgetting their triggers. I also saw one guy get messed up cause his opponent would get out their pen to record the damage, but wait until everything was done, and the guy would just assume the guy marked the one and moved on, and didnt declare anything.

I guess if the guy went ahead and played something else after you picked up your creature in the Reflector Mage case, he missed his trigger. But I get the vibe the guy picked it up on purpose to confuse his opponent, not picked it up and then went "oh wait, that guy didnt do it right".

anglachel fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 23, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

It looked like his opponent didn't appeal, he just cast another Rest In Peace the following turn. Then a grafdiggers cage. Then lost to hard casted beats

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Et Tiu, Oliver?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not as scummy as cheating, but still ugly.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Wait, MTG Judges actually give a poo poo about bribery/collusion?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Wait, MTG Judges actually give a poo poo about bribery/collusion?

The evidence just isn't good enough. Seems like the judge was reaching. The judge that "overheard" didn't even get the full conversation.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 23, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So is it actually against the rules to split at store/FNM/weekly draft rules level, whatever that's called? Both times I've won a draft, me and the other person in the finals just took a draw and split packs and the store employees just split the prizes to us. In fact, I've seen more drafts end this way than not.

I understand it being punishable when pro points are taken into account, I guess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

So is it actually against the rules to split at store/FNM/weekly draft rules level, whatever that's called? Both times I've won a draft, me and the other person in the finals just took a draw and split packs and the store employees just split the prizes to us. In fact, I've seen more drafts end this way than not.

I understand it being punishable when pro points are taken into account, I guess.

drawing is perfectly legal, i think he got in trouble cuz giving opponent your prizes after they concede is clear bribery

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i mean its kinda like paying them to let you win, im sure this runs into some kind of gambling law

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

The key is that a particular match result cannot be argued as a condition of the prize split. You can prize split at any time you want. If you prize split in the final round, cool, you've split any prizes. Now you can ask if your opponent wishes to draw. If you both want to draw, cool, you've drawn. In fact, once you've split the prizes in the manner that satisfies both players, either player can concede to the other, and that's also fine.

If you say to your opponent, "I need the planeswalker points, would you concede to me if I get 4 packs and you get 10" and your opponent says OK then you're both getting DQed.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

"Do you want to split prizes later?" "Yes" "Do you want to draw now?" "Yes" is fine
"Do you want to draw and split?" Isn't.

Hellsau covered me pretty much, but yeah that's the gist of it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

As far as I remember it you can make an offer of concession to your opponent but there can be no mention of any reward or gain in the same conversation. That should be done after the other person has agreed to the draw/concession. If they don't agree then you don't say anything else about it and just play the match.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Oh okay, I got it, was conflating drawing and conceding.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm sure this discussion is annoying to most by now, but I've never seen this idea yet, although I'm not sure if it would work or not.

My idea is Wizard would determine the current market value of all the cards currently on the reserved, before announcing anything. Then they would announce a buyback program for the reserved list owners. You can either get rid of your cards to Wizards, or not. To my current understanding, the only thing holding the reserved list from being did away with is collectors losing their investment into their cards. This way, collectors could get out of their investments and then Wizards can begin printing their cash cow, revitalizing the Vintage format.

Not exactly sure of the drawback, but for now all I can think of is the cost of this program. Would it cost Wizards a ton of money, or am I thinking there is more reserved list copies that exist than there is?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

the sexual Shiite posted:

I'm sure this discussion is annoying to most by now, but I've never seen this idea yet, although I'm not sure if it would work or not.

My idea is Wizard would determine the current market value of all the cards currently on the reserved, before announcing anything. Then they would announce a buyback program for the reserved list owners. You can either get rid of your cards to Wizards, or not. To my current understanding, the only thing holding the reserved list from being did away with is collectors losing their investment into their cards. This way, collectors could get out of their investments and then Wizards can begin printing their cash cow, revitalizing the Vintage format.

Not exactly sure of the drawback, but for now all I can think of is the cost of this program. Would it cost Wizards a ton of money, or am I thinking there is more reserved list copies that exist than there is?

WotC does not care about reprinting cards on the Reserve List. All the actually good cards would retain their value or increase in value due to increased play value - who the gently caress wouldn't want to use the old style Black Lotus rather than the crappy silver new border Black Lotus if they could afford it? The same people in the market for a Lotus now would still be in the market for a Lotus if it got reprinted, and all the people who currently could spend several thousand dollars on a Lotus but choose not to because they can't actually play against anyone else would now be more likely to purchase the fancy old Lotus.

the key is that WotC doesn't give a poo poo if you want to buy and play with old cards, so go gently caress yourself

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

the sexual Shiite posted:

Wizards will never directly admit their cards are worth varying amounts of money on the secondary market because it opens them to a world of legal troubles. Whenever they've had to refer to individual card prices, they've called them "outside concerns" or used similar language.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Caleb Durward is one of my favorite streamers, and he's currently crushing in the SCG Modern top 8 with Bant Spirits.

Also, he doesn't look anything like how I expected him to look based on his voice.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Caleb Durward is one of my favorite streamers, and he's currently crushing in the SCG Modern top 8 with Bant Spirits.

Also, he doesn't look anything like how I expected him to look based on his voice.

thats awesome, im glad he do good, he's a good dude

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Well I regret selling my Noble Hierarchs now. I'm glad he's winning though. He's awesome and Spirits is awesome.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Caleb's been working on that Spirits deck for months, glad it's paying off for him.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Caleb is a cool dude and we should all strive to be more like him.

"Rawr"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

Caleb's been working on that Spirits deck for months, glad it's paying off for him.

Post that list!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
what a punt

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yeah, that was hilarious. He had two turns to cast that Brutality and just flubbed it with the worst sequencing imaginable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
a second punt has hit the stream

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

i mean im happy caleb won but yeah that was just brutally bad on his opponent's part

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Finals that was never meant to be!

:doh: Jesus Christ, people...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

just did not cast scapeshift :psyduck:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i mean im happy caleb won but yeah that was just brutally bad on his opponent's part

In fairness he was likely playing around Spell Queller or CoCo into Spell Queller

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

In fairness he was likely playing around Spell Queller or CoCo into Spell Queller

caleb had no cards in hand, right? geist was his last card, i'm certain. that was truly baffling.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

caleb had no cards in hand, it was all clear to go

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
in fact, caleb misplayed a little by playing the geist, the spirit could have flown over for the win by itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

in fact, caleb misplayed a little by playing the geist, the spirit could have flown over for the win by itself

If he doesn't play Geist, one of those mountain bolts kills the Spirit and he's got nothing that can attack for lethal.

• Locked thread