Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!
Who's planning on buying? I sold my 2012 rMBP a few months back and currently have 2015 MB. I plan on getting the 15" and selling this one. I really want dual 4k 27"!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I think realistically I'm just going to try to get a deal on the current model 15 inch instead of upgrading to a brand new one. My 2012 non retina is showing it's age but I don't really want the OLED bar or some hosed up keyboard.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

ethanol posted:

You pay the extra money for AppleCare imo but also for getting a clean machine without jizz on it. The apple refurb program is alright though

Im debating to buy AppleCare this time around. My CC doubles the warranty which would make it 2 years.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Entropy238 posted:

Tim's gonna have to seriously come up with the goods to get me to switch from my 2013 RMBP.

Come on. Everyone on this thread have no impulse control for Apple products!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Touch ID on laptops is a no brainer but I hope it's not exclusive to the Pro machines.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Just noticed now but anyone else have printer issues after the Sierra update? I am having issues with my brother printer. Not sure if it is from the Sierra update or not.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol internet. posted:

Just noticed now but anyone else have printer issues after the Sierra update? I am having issues with my brother printer. Not sure if it is from the Sierra update or not.

USB, Wired or Wireless?

I have a wireless Brother laser, and no issues. My father has the same model and it was hanging off an Air Port Extreme and he had problems after upgrading to El Cap. But after configuring the wireless network settings on the printer and re-setting it up with Bonjour on his Mac it's been working fine.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Ihave a mac pro 1,1that is ready to be retired so i will be pulling the trigger on a new macbook pro as soon as they are available

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Looks like there will be no new iMacs or displays released at the upcoming event, although I'm hopeful Apple will tease us with SOMETHING, at least.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/22/kuo-october-2016-mac-predictions/

I'm also hopeful this report is incorrect, but Kuo has a decent track record.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

binarysmurf posted:

Looks like there will be no new iMacs or displays released at the upcoming event, although I'm hopeful Apple will tease us with SOMETHING, at least.

I'm still waiting till 11am on Thursday before I hit purchase on one of the iMacs in the refurbished store though, just in case... anybody have a 2 TB Fusion drive? It work okay?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eames posted:

I hope they announce a machine with PCIe slots. The odds are slim to none but surely somebody at Apple must be watching the prices for 5,1 Mac Pros. They still sell for good money even though their single-core benchmark scores are below those of a passively cooled 12" Macbook.

Some random poster over at macrumors wrote up a nice story. Trashcan design cancelled. Complete Mac Pro redesign with PCIe slots and enough room for an internal RAID array. I want to believe.

The reality is that Tim Cook read this story, laughed his rear off and promptly assigned an additional 250 engineers to the "Xcode on iPad Pro" project.

Someone should sell a Hackintosh that is literally a trashcan Mac Pro mobo with the lanes from the CPU broken out into a daughterboard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Someone should sell a Hackintosh that is literally a trashcan Mac Pro mobo with the lanes from the CPU broken out into a daughterboard.

Samsung's got you covered

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/10/samsungs-cylindrical-artpc-pulse-computer-apes-design-of-apples-mac-pro

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

flosofl posted:

USB, Wired or Wireless?

I have a wireless Brother laser, and no issues. My father has the same model and it was hanging off an Air Port Extreme and he had problems after upgrading to El Cap. But after configuring the wireless network settings on the printer and re-setting it up with Bonjour on his Mac it's been working fine.

Yeah sorry should of been more specific. It's a wireless Brother DCP-L2540DW.

When I goto re-add the printer, which is seen through Bonjour. It eventually times out with some sort of IP error.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In all my life I have never seen an iMac get screen burn in, but I just came downstairs and my retina iMac apparently had been on and didn't sleep (but was dimmed) since yesterday afternoon (it's now Sunday night) and my screen has INSANE burn in. Like totally legible webpage, desktop, etc...
What the heck??

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

In all my life I have never seen an iMac get screen burn in, but I just came downstairs and my retina iMac apparently had been on and didn't sleep (but was dimmed) since yesterday afternoon (it's now Sunday night) and my screen has INSANE burn in. Like totally legible webpage, desktop, etc...
What the heck??

LCDs don't have burn-in, they have image persistence. Throw up something white, maybe just a blank png in Preview or something, and full-screen it. Leave it for a few hours, or maybe even overnight while you sleep. It'll go away. It's not permanent.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

LCDs don't have burn-in, they have image persistence. Throw up something white, maybe just a blank png in Preview or something, and full-screen it. Leave it for a few hours, or maybe even overnight while you sleep. It'll go away. It's not permanent.

Good to know. Thank you. Weird though that in a decade of owning iMacs tonight is the first time I've ever seen such a thing... and I didn't miss it before, it's HELLA noticeable.

Thanks again.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Pivo posted:

Thanks for this. If I can get my image persistence to go away, the resale value of my iMac will go up a fair bit.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Good to know. Thank you. Weird though that in a decade of owning iMacs tonight is the first time I've ever seen such a thing... and I didn't miss it before, it's HELLA noticeable.

Although it's weird that it's "hella noticeable" after one night. That doesn't really happen, I've left LCDs on the same screen, even on Macs, for weeks and never got any persistence. It usually happens to panels used for digital signage and stuff like that, where the panel's entire purpose is to display the same pixels for a large part of the frame. I'm wondering if this isn't a problem with the desktop compositing getting messed up and leaving a translucent image part of the render, perhaps a remnant of an animation? It sounds silly to say this in a thread where we're all interested in technology but - have you tried turning it off and then on again?

But yeah, typically persistence can be fixed with a bunch of white for as long as it takes, but it happening so quickly is surprising to me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

Although it's weird that it's "hella noticeable" after one night. That doesn't really happen, I've left LCDs on the same screen, even on Macs, for weeks and never got any persistence. It usually happens to panels used for digital signage and stuff like that, where the panel's entire purpose is to display the same pixels for a large part of the frame. I'm wondering if this isn't a problem with the desktop compositing getting messed up and leaving a translucent image part of the render, perhaps a remnant of an animation? It sounds silly to say this in a thread where we're all interested in technology but - have you tried turning it off and then on again?

But yeah, typically persistence can be fixed with a bunch of white for as long as it takes, but it happening so quickly is surprising to me.

Yeah it was like 24 hours maybe 30 and I guess for some shitheaded reason my screensaver nor sleep kicked off.

The funny thing is I'm sure I've had that happen before where the screen stays on unintentionally but never seen one peep of retention.

[Ed] and yes I powered it off twice.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Yeah it was like 24 hours maybe 30 and I guess for some shitheaded reason my screensaver nor sleep kicked off.

Some apps like video players turn that off when they're foregrounded (i.e. the ones in the menu bar). I think VLC does it? Not sure if it only does it when playing... I think a bunch of pro tools (and I mean pro applications, not literally Pro Tools) do it too. Well, have fun.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't worry. The iMacs at work had this for months and two or three weeks of turning on screen savers stopped it. I was also baffled, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HUG7QrQi8

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

binarysmurf posted:

:flaccid:

Seems pretty tame.

eames
May 9, 2009

Three new Mac laptops appear in Russian regulatory database ahead of Apple’s ‘hello again’ event on Thursday

A1706, A1707, A1708 — perhaps 12", 14", 16"? :ohdear:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

OatmealRocks posted:

Who's planning on buying? I sold my 2012 rMBP a few months back and currently have 2015 MB. I plan on getting the 15" and selling this one. I really want dual 4k 27"!!!

poo poo, I just want to finally upgrade to a retina display on a laptop that isn't slower than my mid-2012 MBP. A MacBook rAir with a 6th or 7th gen Intel CPU might work. Even if it wasn't as fast, it'd at least have double the battery life.

A new Mini would be awesome. It's a testament to Apple's engineering and their lack of new hardware that my Mini and MBA are my longest used computers ever.

binarysmurf posted:

Skylake? That can't be right. I thought part of this long refresh delay was for something newer than Skylake.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

Skylake? That can't be right. I thought part of this long refresh delay was for something newer than Skylake.

Nothing newer is out, or at least wouldn't have been when the designs were finalized.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Nothing newer is out, or at least wouldn't have been when the designs were finalized.
Crabby Paddy Kaby Lake just came out. I know Dells have already been announced with them. I think Apple was waiting for that next 'toc' since it may fix some of the mobile issues on the Skylake.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 24, 2016

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Crabby Paddy Kaby Lake just came out. I know Dells have already been announced with them. I think Apple was waiting for that next 'toc' since it may fix some of the mobile issues on the Skylake.

so far only dual core kaby lake has been released, the performance quad for the 15" comes out next year so we'll probably get skylake instead

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
How much does this processor poo poo even matter anymore?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
PS: A night of running Flurry (MacOS standard screensaver) seems to have cured my retention.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 24, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

neonnoodle posted:

3% every year.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

neonnoodle posted:

4k video hw decoding and thunderbolt 3 are kinda cool
also next year there will be a 15w quad so a quadcore 13" would be awesome
also max memory should double

otherwise 3% per year

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Perplx posted:

4k video hw decoding and thunderbolt 3 are kinda cool
also next year there will be a 15w quad so a quadcore 13" would be awesome
also max memory should double

otherwise 3% per year

Yeah it's about how many features and external monitors it can drive, not so much performance.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
having chrome not prepare for takeoff when watching youtube would be a nice plus of hw vp9 encoding

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Malcolm XML posted:

having chrome not prepare for takeoff when watching youtube would be a nice plus of hw vp9 encoding

You expect an Apple product to allow hardware decoding of a Google codec in a Google browser? What do you think this is 2007?

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I'm not really sure what I'm asking here so bear with me.

Is the Photos app designed to manage just photos you take, or all of your images in general?

I have a folder with wallpaper I like, and other images I like that I've found on the internet. And I want to store this on iCloud. Do I let Photos manage these images somehow? Or should I just move the folder into iCloud?

What do most people do?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I use iCloud photos and just make a folder called Wallpapers

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I let Photos manage my photos, and that's it. Random photos/wallpapers/whatever go in Dropbox.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but any thoughts would be helpful.

I've got a 5 or 6 year old MBP and a Drobo with 2 partitions. In my infinite wisdom I made the partition with the time machine backup pretty small (~1GB).

I'm starting to think about getting a new MBP, one with a larger HD (500GB or 1TB). I think the current Time Machine partition on the Drobo is too small for this, and I don't really want to fill up the other partition with backups. I started to read up on adding larger HDDs to the drobo, and it seems like the Drobo will put the new extra space on a new volume that it automatically creates.

Assuming I want the new computer to start with the old time machine*, what I'm trying to figure out is the order I need to do things in, and if there's anything tricky in directing the new laptop's Time Machine to the new volume. So if I switch out a couple of 2TB drives for 4TB drives in the drobo (one at a time), then plug in the new laptop and direct it to the old time machine backup, then before it makes a new backup, tell it to start a new backup on the new volume, that would work?

Also, I've not used anything with Thunderbolt- can I just look for a thunderbolt hub with a FW800 or an adapter or something, and do they work pretty well? Any particular recommendations?

*Any reason not to just to start fresh aside from the hassle of installing apps? My last two laptops have hilariously inherited "BetterLekNextTime's Powerbook G4" from a much older computer of mine during their initial firewire disk transfer or time machine transfer at initial install...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They still make poo poo with FireWire?