Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dabir posted:

This is bullshit, that's clearly uneton.

<:mad:>

e: Oops new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

CommonShore posted:

Red onions in balsamic vinegar

CannonFodder posted:

I hope those are caramelized onions. Please please please be caramelized onions.

I hope you're all right at the same time.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Despite the relatively unhorrifying photo, I think this restaurant review belongs here.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Cheese isn't supposed to be green.

Not like this.

Not like this.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

AlbieQuirky posted:

Despite the relatively unhorrifying photo, I think this restaurant review belongs here.

I have eaten at this exact Fire and Ice. The review encapsulates how I felt about it. It seems like good fun, but the food is sad.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

cash crab posted:

<:mad:>

e: Oops new page

I'm picturing them tipping the plate up to their mouth before they eat and drinking the grease directly.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

haha, yes, they sure did something

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

I am more off-put by them putting Kraft Singles on a lasagna than by the fact that they seem to have forgotten to take the plastic off them.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

AlbieQuirky posted:

This is an amazing review

"The dark, deafening dining room — it’s on the second floor, but it feels like a basement — is all sharp angles and oversaturated colors, like a supervillain’s lair. From the dark recesses of a window booth, you can see a silhouetted ring of people lustily shifting their weight from one foot to the other in the cone of bright light that engulfs the grill. This must be what it feels like to have dinner adjacent to a cockfight. "

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

I am more off-put by them putting Kraft Singles on a lasagna than by the fact that they seem to have forgotten to take the plastic off them.

That's just how processed cheese looks when left in the oven for an hour, I have first hand experiences.

Also can it even be called lasagne when you use rotini pasta?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Wal Mart sells escargot, I guess. (Shells that you have to sanitize first and then slip in canned land snails.) There's caviar, too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AlbieQuirky posted:

Jesus christ, these still exist?

I ate at one back in like 2009, at the Palisades Center mall in Nyack. It was exactly as described in the review, just ghastly. But then it was closed and gone like two months later. I assumed it was just a, uh, flash in the pan.

Why are these apparently thriving and the actual Mongolian BBQ fad that gave unholy birth to it is over?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

Why would you put hunks of pork on an Alfredo? The cooks here do not question such things. They dutifully grill and chop whatever horrible mess arrives in the bowls like overzealous trash collectors who empty your cans and then uproot your mailbox because everything that’s sitting in the right-of-way is drat sure going to the dump.

:boom:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Jesus christ, these still exist?

I ate at one back in like 2009, at the Palisades Center mall in Nyack. It was exactly as described in the review, just ghastly. But then it was closed and gone like two months later. I assumed it was just a, uh, flash in the pan.

Why are these apparently thriving and the actual Mongolian BBQ fad that gave unholy birth to it is over?

I've become a fan of BD's Mongolian Grill mostly because I have working taste buds and a general sense of how to cook, so I'm able to combine ingredients that taste good together and give it to someone else to cook it for me. Unfortunately, not everyone is quite this lucky and ends up just mashing together weird poo poo because they've never cooked in their lives and think that mashed potatoes and calamari would probably be great mixed together and slathered in cheese sauce.

We had a BD's near my house, but it closed when the property owners raised rent to an untenable level. The only time I get to eat it now is infrequent visits to the Detroit area.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That looks suspiciously like rotini to me. Did they really gently caress it up to the point where they used the wrong pasta for their pasta dish?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That looks suspiciously like rotini to me. Did they really gently caress it up to the point where they used the wrong pasta for their pasta dish?

And one time this guy

get this

used linguini

linguini

for carbonara

gently caress

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Dutch restaurants are pretty mediocre to terrible in general: putting zucchini in the place of cucumbers in a salad
But that's an improvement. :confused:

Would.

AlbieQuirky posted:

That place sounds OK to me. You could go there and eat something horrifying, but that would be on you, not the establishment.

quote:

Why would you put hunks of pork on an Alfredo? The cooks here do not question such things.
And why should they? Isn't that the whole point?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

RNG posted:

Wal Mart sells escargot, I guess. (Shells that you have to sanitize first and then slip in canned land snails.) There's caviar, too.

I'm hardly an expert, but this seems like bizarre packaging.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

cash crab posted:

New, from Pringles!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cash crab posted:

We sell geodes in tubes like that at work. I can just image someone buying one of these and letting their kids smash them with hammers.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

And one time this guy

get this

used linguini

linguini

for carbonara

gently caress

Ha ha ha I get it you're making a joke about being overly pedantic cause spaghetti is almost exactly like linguine just like small spiral pasta is identical to large flat layered sheets ha ha lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I make my lasagna by laying out spaghetti strings one by one on a pizza crust.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

When did Kraft start making chocolate cheese?

:barf:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

And one time this guy

get this

used linguini

linguini

for carbonara

gently caress

I get that it seems pedantic but the name of the noodle used is identical to the dish in this case. Carbonara actually can be made using different pastas because the dish isn't named after the type of pasta it's made with. I don't really get what you're going for here.
It'd be like if you ordered a hamburger but got meatloaf.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

That literally happens in much of the world.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
https://youtu.be/9fGxB6BMO5E

Saw this TV ad today and thought of this thread

Do you think anyone watches this ad and thinks "ooh, that looks good!"

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

:ohdear: are there burger rules?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

cash crab posted:

As the Baron of the Burger Board, yes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

dev286 posted:

NO

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Pizza melts are a real thing, I mean, it's usually a thing you get on a dingy east coast boardwalk after playing drunken minigolf on top of a dollar store and perusing a comic book/magic the gathering store's stock that hasn't been rotated since 1999 but is priced like it's 2035.

It's not even the worst kind of boardwalk food. One time in the early 00's on the New Hampshire boardwalk I go what was termed an "extreme pizza twist" which was a cooked pepperoni pizza that had been rolled, battered and deep fried. My entire life has been a perpetual quest to find any food that tasted that good again.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why is Walmart selling escargot and caviar?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

dev286 posted:

Try my feces! It's the best feces covered in noodles you'll ever have! My favorite is the puddle of poo poo in a bowl that tastes worse than it looks.

Poop...

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

dev286 posted:

Haha yes such horrible food haha better write down that place's name and address haha just so I don't go there by accident haha yes never catch me dead at a place like that hahaha *frantic running footsteps, door slam, screeching tires*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

To make money.

Poor people like to feel fancy sometimes? A lot of people in the US would have to drive well over 100 miles to go anywhere else that sells those things.

I get that it seems pedantic but the name of the noodle used is identical to the dish in this case. Carbonara actually can be made using different pastas because the dish isn't named after the type of pasta it's made with. I don't really get what you're going for here.

Meh, some dweeb lost his mind about carbonara a thread or two ago and I was just calling back that more than commenting on this.

The important thing is that it made me laugh.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

dev286 posted:

Not sure it's ok to directly link the special menu they created just for these, which I had to google to confirm were real, but I took a screenshot of the first page:

If only, menu. If only.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

And why do they call lumpfish roe "caviar"?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cash crab posted:

Only until that burger is technically a pizza, at which point there are no pizza rules.
If pizza on a bagel is a pizza, then that pizza melt is also definitely a pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ralph Crammed In posted:

They weren't even normal taco shells, they were taco shell boats I guess you could call them. Right around this time a major grocery store was getting bought out and they deeply discounted their stock and when I went to go check it out there was tons of these taco shell boats-I bought a pack and they were the same ones served to me at the restaurant. It was a "fusion" cuisine place, and we were also served some pretty okay sashimi as well at the same meal.

This is one of those mental images that'll be in my head forever, so thanks for that.

As I lay dying due to an unfortunate injury sustained while gathering morels, I'll say my prayers, send mental goodbyes to my friends and family, and with the time left before the light fades from my eyes, I'll reflect on the time someone went to a restaurant, got drunk on cheap wine, ate canned green beans in a taco shell, then ate raw fish after being served canned green beans in a taco shell

Darn, so close