Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

I got my first TV 6-7 years ago from a liquidation store with money from my first job. I couldnt give a poo poo about HDMI.

You should probably buy a new TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

When I play consoles, I connect them to my PC monitor and play them seated at my desk.

:same:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hope the system has an IR port for super quick and easy multi-system portable multiplayer. Anyone who's played a Pokemon since Black/White should know how great it is just pointing your systems at eachother for a couple seconds is rather than doing a lobby type thing to link up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The 3DS has conditioned me to only be able to play games while I poop, I am so thankful for the Nintendo Switch, I have been so bored

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gutcruncher posted:

I hope the system has an IR port for super quick and easy multi-system portable multiplayer. Anyone who's played a Pokemon since Black/White should know how great it is just pointing your systems at eachother for a couple seconds is rather than doing a lobby type thing to link up.

3ds direct WiFi multi-player is pretty amazingly seemless, based on monsterhunter. I assume it's WiFi direct.

Nintendo has been street passing for years, one thing they do amazingly well is see and connect to new devices. Like really well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Violet_Sky posted:

I got my first TV 6-7 years ago from a liquidation store with money from my first job. I couldnt give a poo poo about HDMI.

Yeah, I live in a sod house I made myself based on the plans in a Great-Depression era government pamphlet, but I'm not gonna get mad when the Switch needs to be plugged in to a wall outlet. I accept that my needs are unusual.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gamexplain getting that content, interviews switch trailer star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQu0hyYcnR4
He Held The Switch!!! amazing!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I live in a sod house I made myself based on the plans in a Great-Depression era government pamphlet,

please tag these dragon quest builders story spoilers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?NQu0hyYcnR4

Interview with one of the actors in the commercial

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I bet these are not the final form, not that it won't just be a tablet. Anything about the comfort of the joycons?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the trailer makes me wince every time i see the people put force on the console to add/remove controllers while the kick stand is out.

hopefully that little thing is metal or stronger than it looks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

I bet these are not the final form, not that it won't just be a tablet. Anything about the comfort of the joycons?

its a forty minute interview so your answer is going to take a while to get if they even bother to ask the question

edit:
he says it looks sleek and nice, opposite of wii u game pad in first impression for him but instead of asking about the feel they go back to asking about the audition behind the scenes.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 24, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

the trailer makes me wince every time i see the people put force on the console to add/remove controllers while the kick stand is out.

hopefully that little thing is metal or stronger than it looks

yeah i think the build quality of this thing in general will need to be pretty dang solid to succeed

like the idea of constantly connecting and removing controllers all the time seems like it might wear them down faster than mario party on your palms

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

at least you can replace them i guess :)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He didn't realize at the time the individual joycons could be used as controllers and didn't really click with him why he could take them off and put them on, so he didn't hold them that much.

He did say holding the whole thing together was very comfortable, and he also held the pro controller which he said was the most comfortable controller he had ever held, with his previous most comfortable being the Xbox One controller. His segment of the commercial didn't have the joy con grip, so he never held that one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

at least you can replace them i guess :)

y.... yaay.....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they don't ask him what the pro triggers felt like which seems like it would be a good way to find out if they were analog

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

He didn't realize at the time the individual joycons could be used as controllers and didn't really click with him why he could take them off and put them on, so he didn't hold them that much.

He did say holding the whole thing together was very comfortable, and he also held the pro controller which he said was the most comfortable controller he had ever held, with his previous most comfortable being the Xbox One controller. His segment of the commercial didn't have the joy con grip, so he never held that one.

Here's a dude who never held a GameCube controller.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

they don't ask him what the pro triggers felt like which seems like it would be a good way to find out if they were analog

They say halfway through they checked beforehand with him what questions they could and couldn't ask him, I assume specifics about the triggers were one of them.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Bombadilillo posted:

To some extent, they can't be final since one of the buttons was unlabeled.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

greatn posted:

yeah but what about touch controls

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Laura Kate Dale says the screen has capacitive multitouch capability, but Nintendo is focusing on making standard controls up front and center in marketing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Laura Kate Dale says the screen has capacitive multitouch capability, but Nintendo is focusing on making standard controls up front and center in marketing.

So its the marketing reaction to people willful confusion at the WiiU.

"Are these controllers for my ipad?"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So either the experience is crippled when docked by the lack of a touchscreen, or the device has a touchscreen no developer will actually use?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BGrifter posted:

So either the experience is crippled when docked by the lack of a touchscreen, or the device has a touchscreen no developer will actually use?

Or they release a touchpad peripheral for use when docked

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Or it workes like every console ever, but also you can tap things when holding the tablet like you naturally want to do in 2016 when holding a screen. perhaps you do want to pull it out to build your mario maker level, or navigate the store.

Praise Cthulhu no forced to build around swipe games! Sorry for your loss.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

double post

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I AM THE JOY CON

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BGrifter posted:

its probably cheaper to get touchscreens off the shelf in tablet size than have them made without so who cares.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I AM THE JOY CON

I am the Wii U. Coo, coo, kachu.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Real hurthling! posted:

gamexplain getting that content, interviews switch trailer star
He Held The Switch!!! amazing!

please tag these dragon quest builders story spoilers

greatn posted:

Interview with one of the actors in the commercial

Wow twice in a row and I was just about to post this. I think it's incredible they only have 3 minutes of footage to work off of, and they'll do anything to keep beating this dead horse of Nintendo excitement. Nintendo knows exactly what it's doing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Wow twice in a row and I was just about to post this. I think it's incredible they only have 3 minutes of footage to work off of, and they'll do anything to keep beating this dead horse of Nintendo excitement. Nintendo knows exactly what it's doing.

Thats what they say about trump and the response I have is the same, "this is what they always have done and its worked or not, and now is a culturally "right" time for it to work."

Nintendo didnt turn into marketing geniuses after they couldnt explain the WiiU was a new console last time. They were so traumatized they named their upgraded 3ds NEW when it was just an upgrade. They dont know exactly what they are doing.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you don't know much about how commercials are made and you see the Switch ad, I can understand being concerned that the poor frame rate on the portable screen in Zelda would be worrying. But once you understand that there was nothing on the screen when it filmed, it was just a prop and the footage was added later by computers, that should be the end of the discussion

I mean, what the gently caress are you even arguing anymore? The company that made that ad used choppy footage at one point? So what? What the gently caress is the point of still acting like that matters at all?

Haha loser, just listening to this interview. All the hardware was real. Not a prop. :boom:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Erata posted:

I am the Wii U. Coo, coo, kachu.

It's Goo goo g'joob. :colbert:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BGrifter posted:

I can't imagine games being crippled without touch. They'll likely be a second thought, like a lot of 3DS games now. There was a time when touch was integral on 3DS games, as touch was centric to its branding. But you look at a lot of the core games now and developers aren't stressing to integrate touch into games.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's Goo goo g'joob. :colbert:

:negative: I let the Beatles down. I let down Ringo. I let down Tom. I let down Dick, and I let down Larry.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kin posted:

Sadly, the one thing my PC doesn't have is an irony app. Is that something that comes with a macbook?

No, it's something you actually lose if you buy a Nintendo home console. Nintendo employees came while you were sleeping, drugged you and used a syringe to steal your irony and delete your memory of the event.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I'd rather have Donald Trump become president and the Switch be really good than Switch being bad and Hillary Clinton become president.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

Or they release a touchpad peripheral for use when docked

that's what I thought the thing that goes in the middle of the two joycon sides could be, as well as batteries

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If a lot of mobile games get ported to NX, some of those might specifically require the system to be undocked to play, so that the touchscreen can be used.

But there weren't a lot of major Wii U or 3DS games where touch was vital, so I doubt that losing touch when playing on your TV screen is going to be a dealbreaker. Even Mario Maker wouldn't fare too badly-- a d-pad can be used to navigate a grid just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Anyway I don't understand why why Nintendo made a posh switch trailer when they could Just show a grandma playing solitarie and just say in big bold letters "no ads, no forced updates, no xbox live login needed" and sell millions of consoles.

• Locked thread