Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

eames posted:

:laffo:

You need a cable to attach a regular 2.0 USB Stick to Macbook.

No kidding. Apple loving loooooves cables. Their vision of the future is that all your electronic devices resemble an octopus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
I have a not-perfectly-stable-but-good-enough ElCap setup going. Is it worth updating to Sierra now, or would I be better advised to stick with what works until I'm pushed?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm still holding off on Sierra on my U530. Plenty of issues to iron out still before it's a daily driver.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just buy another cheap SSD and use it as your playground whenever a new System comes out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

revmoo posted:

No kidding. Apple loving loooooves cables. Their vision of the future is that all your electronic devices resemble an octopus.
No, their vision of the future is no wires, they are trying to force that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, what are you using USB sticks for? Airdrop.
Headphones? Wireless Earpods
Mice / Keboards? Bluetooth.
Power / Data / Display? USB-C.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Some people use their computers for more than just surfing Facebook.

eames
May 9, 2009

edit: wrong thread.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 24, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

eames posted:

edit: wrong thread.

I wish there were more ports, actually. I'm currently using everything on my MBP except 1 TB and the HDMI port. Even have a USB hub plugged in I hate it. I would love for a Macbook Pro to have a half dozen USB ports. It's one of the main considerations for looking into a hackintosh.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
So what's up with Sierra?

Also, Pascal cards seem to still be unsupported. Are modern AMD cards supported? TonyMac doesn't mention any and just recommends old Nvidia cards.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Waiting on nvidia to support Pascal in its latest web drivers. It's possible that won't happen though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

cbirdsong posted:

So what's up with Sierra?

Also, Pascal cards seem to still be unsupported. Are modern AMD cards supported? TonyMac doesn't mention any and just recommends old Nvidia cards.

When it comes to GPUs, you've just got to pray that some more Polaris/Vega based Macs come out. Then next iMac should be a decent Polaris card based on the kexts we've seen, if they do another Mac Pro then there'll be Vega support. The way things are going with Metal, AMD is going to be the only way to go as things progress. The latest Photoshop has GPU acceleration features that only apply to AMD powered Macs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Agree with the above. I think the era of fantastic nVidia support for hackintoshes might be coming to a close. nVidia doesn't have much of an incentive to keep the drivers up to date unless theres an in pipeline Mac using one of their cards we don't know about. The older Mac Pro's are aging into obsolescence and since then it's been mostly AMD.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's certainly how it looks I think it'll be really interesting to see if the 4xx AMD cards get drivers. A hackintosh with a 480 would be a damned good time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

cbirdsong posted:

well why not posted:

That's certainly how it looks I think it'll be really interesting to see if the 4xx AMD cards get drivers. A hackintosh with a 480 would be a damned good time.

Users on MacRumors claim they've already been running fairly stable on RX 470/480 cards and OS X 10.12.1 for some time now.. OpenGL works, OpenCL does as well, all without EFI flashing so far.

nVidia just updated CUDA to be Sierra and El Capitan compatible, so the outlook for Pascal cards is at least hopeful. Dunno why they would update CUDA if they weren't working on something.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Binary Badger posted:

Users on MacRumors claim they've already been running fairly stable on RX 470/480 cards and OS X 10.12.1 for some time now.. OpenGL works, OpenCL does as well, all without EFI flashing so far.

nVidia just updated CUDA to be Sierra and El Capitan compatible, so the outlook for Pascal cards is at least hopeful. Dunno why they would update CUDA if they weren't working on something.

The 480 has the same architecture as the new MBP cards, but it'll only run 1/3 of the CUs the 480 has, so it's severely underpowered until another Polaris card gets put in a Mac.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I bought a 470 this week because my understanding is it works in Sierra. The 480 does not.

I still don't risk installing Sierra because it sounds like a mess (and it may always be a mess and we might be hitting a point where casual reliable Hackintosh'ing dies) but if it's ever un-hosed, I'm ready.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Skipping Sierra because of the lack of software raids, which I use a lot...

I think this *might* be my last Hackintosh. Literally the only thing holding me back is reliable pro-res outputs.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

macOS has such incredibly great handling of multiple monitors, it's tragic that they don't sell more desktop computers with lots of display outputs. The seamless switching of desktops per display is my main reason for sticking with it.

At least now that the laptops are $3000 each it doesn't feel as crazy to spend upwards of $4k on a mac pro in a year or two, as long as they update it instead of cancelling the whole product line :(

Sierra mostly works for me on my hackintosh but the few issues I'm having is starting to annoy me to the point where I'm considering downgrading to El Capitan. The worst one is that iTunes will often start skipping forward in tracks or jumping to the next track at random in streaming playlists. I've had to switch to VOX to get reliable music playback. I also get transparency glitching after I play games on the mac until I reboot. Parallells and my windows 10 work VM works great though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just did a clean install of Sierra on my Thinkpad T420. It was fairly painless, only had to do some minor futzing with the some patches to get my wifi card (AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB) working. So far so good, everything seems to be functioning.

The only thing that irked me, was the fact I had to basically reinstall Windows (this was a Debian machine) just so I could install the modified BIOS file that removed the wifi whitelist.

Edit: I used this guide

JayKay fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 14, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

r u ready to WALK posted:

The worst one is that iTunes will often start skipping forward in tracks or jumping to the next track at random in streaming playlists.

This one isn't hackintosh specific, if that helps your decision at all.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I ended up going back to El Capitan on my laptop, there just wasn't enough there to justify the keyboard weirdness on my laptop.

Annoyingly I tried adding GRUB to Clover and ended up breaking the default volume setting.
For some reason it only starts the countdown timer if it's set to LastBootedVolume, I've tried the volume name and the UUID but I'm just too annoyed to fiddle with it more.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I had a perfectly working dual boot system with El Capitan and Windows 10 installed on the same drive with Clover. I could boot either just fine and everything ran perfect. The other day I decided to upgrade to Sierra and as a result I've broken my system pretty good. I hope this is the right section to put this in, I'll do my best to summarize what's happened.

System Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
Processor: Core i5-4590
Graphics: GTX 970

What's happened:
- Updated Clover
- Updated to Sierra
- Had trouble getting Nvidia web drivers to work, accidentally broke something in my Clover config and couldn't boot into MacOS anymore.
- Dumbly tried to mount my EFI partition in Windows by unhiding it with command line (which didn't help) then setting it back to hidden. (I think this is where I broke things)
- Got a message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" whenever I boot, can no longer get to clover.
- Made a bootable Sierra USB using the install guide which let me get to clover, boot into MacOS and I was able to fix my Clover Config to have working Nvidia Drivers.
- Ran MultiBeast in MacOS to try and fix the EFI partition (used UEFI boot method)

Current Status:
- I can boot with the USB stick, get into MacOS and it runs fine
- I cannot boot Windows at all
- I still get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message when trying to boot without the USB
- When in MacOS (booted from USB stick), I can mount the EFI partition and make edits in CloverConfig without errors
- My Partition table seems weird, it's listed as FDisk_partition_scheme when the bootable USB is GUID

I have a feeling that the FDisk thing is causing it not to be a bootable drive. Does anyone know how I would go about changing it to GUID?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah your EFI folder appears to be borked.

Check this out: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/231025-i-lost-my-guid-paritition-label-to-fdisk/

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I just found that thread as well. Looks like I'm making a Linux Emergency disk tonight, should be fun.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Well that didn't work, couldn't repair it with the Linux drive.

I nuked the HDD this morning, got Sierra back up and running in about 15mins. I'm going to wait to install Windows again until I buy a second HDD to put it on. I should have done that to begin with but I'll take this as a chance to fix any of the little stuff I half assed the first time around.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ouhei posted:

Well that didn't work, couldn't repair it with the Linux drive.

I nuked the HDD this morning, got Sierra back up and running in about 15mins. I'm going to wait to install Windows again until I buy a second HDD to put it on. I should have done that to begin with but I'll take this as a chance to fix any of the little stuff I half assed the first time around.

I had a similar situation years ago and decided to get a second drive for windows and never looked back. It's saved my rear end a few times now.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went a little further by having a second hackintosh drive ready for quite a while. That saved me more then once and it made things a lot easier to recover since I don't have to do things via command line. I don't have a backup system drive now since I have cheap MacBook Pro with a dock if I need to do direct changes in an event I run into problems again.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I luckily have a couple real Macs I can use when things go south, I just need to be smarter about messing thing things in the future. Should have made the USB stick to begin with instead of trying to mess with things in Windows. I'll try to keep this stick around instead of using it for other things now.

The only thing I can't seem to get to stick is Clover using my native resolution (2560x1440). I have it set to that in Clover Config but it just doesn't seem to want to do it. It's the least of my worries since everything else works perfectly. I wonder if it has something to do with the way my graphics drivers are setup? I'm using the Nvidia web drivers but I didn't mess with anything in clover config to enable them (under graphics I have inject intel checked for some reason). The computer boots and uses the web drivers by default each time after reboot so I didn't want to mess with it.

Edit: Fixed, my bios was set to CSM always for some reason, disabling that enabled Clover to run 1440p.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 19, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I upgraded my GPU to an RX470 and upgraded to Sierra on a whim after Time Machine'ing my El Cap system. So far, the things that seem to suck on El Cap with this card (no acceleration, janky performance, won't sleep) are still there in Sierra but the OS doesn't seem uniquely hosed. If I had stuck with my GTX 660 I'm sure I'd be quite happy. I'm one of the weirdos who got iMessage to work by switching profiles to an iMac (it helps that I have the same CPU/mainboard chipset) and getting an unused serial number by luck, and that's still going.

Basically it looks like Windows-only for now, but that was going to be the case with a Polaris or Vega. Unless you're one of those weirdos paying over-inflated prices for 9x0 hardware you're going to have issues. With everyone from enthusiasts to mainstream press slamming Macs right now for being so far behind the tech curve, something will give before I stop using this card. (shrug)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Did you disable SIP and do the framebuffer mod to enable better RX 470 compatibility with Sierra? You might see improvements if you did this.

Search on either Netkas or MacRumors forums for the steps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My understanding is that Clover now adds the SIP code to settings.plist by itself, because I checked it and it was already there.

I tried looking a little bit about what to do but quickly saw terminal windows and text about framebuffers and reporting card IDs and so on, and I'm just not interested in cracking down to the brass bolts of how OSX works to want to look into that. It's not "we've got this down to the point where we wrote this easy tutorial," it's at "we've got these ideas and it's up to you to make sense of them and please report back with any apocalyptic problems you have, and btw sleep/wake still won't work."

People bring up MacRumors a lot and I had trouble finding the relevant threads. Apparently people moved into the Mac Pro discussion forum and began making GBS threads up the place referring to their homebuilt PCs as "Mac Pros" and bothering the few people who actually own authentic Mac Pros.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Basically it looks like Windows-only for now, but that was going to be the case with a Polaris or Vega. Unless you're one of those weirdos paying over-inflated prices for 9x0 hardware you're going to have issues. With everyone from enthusiasts to mainstream press slamming Macs right now for being so far behind the tech curve, something will give before I stop using this card. (shrug)

Second hand 980s and 980Tis seem to be selling for reasonably prices on the PC forums that I see.

10x0s still don't work well under Sierra do they?

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I got a new SSD and installed Sierra on it with only minor issues and it's all up and running now.
The thing is I need to transfer my Windows 10 installation now and all the OSX cloning software is sitting on balls expensive, are there any free options google is missing?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

WinClone is good but I see it's $40 now. You could try digging up an older version but I'm not sure it would be OK with Win8/10.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm not going to say this is good advice, because there's too many people here who know more about computers than I do, but I have successfully used gparted as a free/open-source cloning tool many times. Setup a LiveCD image on a disc or USB, boot to it, select your partitions, and just use copy and paste to the target device. It supports NTFS and HFS+, so it's at least good until APFS becomes a thing (and hopefully it will be updated to work with it, too.) Thanks lunix nerds.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I Tried that and it wasn't bootable so I just did a clean Win7 install instead because I'm extremely lazy.
Next time I'll just plan things out better.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Second hand 980s and 980Tis seem to be selling for reasonably prices on the PC forums that I see.

10x0s still don't work well under Sierra do they?

They're being listed for shockingly high amounts on Kijij here in Canada. I feel bad for the posters because obviously these folks feel like $400 is more than reasonable for their $800+ GPU bought less than a year ago, but that's in the price and performance range of a brand new GTX 1060.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

8ender posted:

They're being listed for shockingly high amounts on Kijij here in Canada. I feel bad for the posters because obviously these folks feel like $400 is more than reasonable for their $800+ GPU bought less than a year ago, but that's in the price and performance range of a brand new GTX 1060.

This is the top secret way to always have a banging gaming PC. Just buy a mid-range card every two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

To be fair, a 980Ti is quite a bit better than a 1060 at most things, but yeah that is a little dear.