Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

There is a difference between simplicity and a dumb message or idea. The ideas kids read about when they're young help form their thoughts and ideas later in life.

I didn't think the Hunger Games had a dumb message. Kids should be aware of class conflict, economic oppression, and how popular entertainment and the promise of individual gain can be manipulated to sew divisiveness among people who would otherwise have common cause. I do think Divergent had a dumb message, and that's why I'm more critical of it that Hunger Games or even the Uglies series I mentioned earlier.

As I said earlier, I'm cool with babies first screed on class warfare. If I could remember what it was called I'd tell you about babies first libertarian manifesto which I was far less fond of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That poster mentioned a immortality planned parenthood book

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Brass Key posted:

Yeah, but I don't mean so much the fact that that one thing happened, but that it's a thing that keeps happening. It's a world without nuance. The villains will break every promise, betray every trust and commit every excess because the world turns on the protagonists exclusively. Though that's kind of a problem across the whole genre.

(My name is pro'tagonist superspecial sparkledog. I'm clumsy and plain and I live in a society rigidly stratified according to American high school clique stereotypes. But I'm different. I have... Two stereotypes! But before I can bring the revolution to this ill-defined dystopia I have to decide between TWO BOYS! (It's okay because the bad boy will probably die heroically saving me in the third act so I can go off with the boy next door without having to actually make any kind of decision.))

Speaking of bad YA, have any of you read The Declaration? The premise is that immortality drugs have been invented and you can have them for free on the condition that you keep to your quota of children so the population doesn't explode to insane, unsustainable levels. The entire plot is about how wrong this is and that people should have as many children as they want, and also live forever. :nallears:

In Twilight Bella made a choice so it's okay

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

That poster mentioned a immortality planned parenthood book

Yeah, that also sounds like a shitfest that I have no desire to defend. There was this book called Unwind that was real big a few years ago, and it was one giant "truth is in the middle" message about abortion. The war between pro/anti-abortion groups apparently became an actual war, and it was resolved with some law where up until age 18 you had the option to 'unwind' your kid which meant sending them off to have all their entire bodies cut up and donated, which totally wasn't the same as killing them because they lived on in pieces. The actual story is dull as all get-out, following the sulky strong male lead as he goes on a Logan's Run away from the authorities trying to unwind him; he picks up a girl who swoons a lot and makes dumb emotional decisions, and a young Jesus-freak who was born to be tithed to the unwinding process and is super pissed that they interrupted his destiny with their escape from death. They end up in a hidden town where they can hang out for the few months until they're 18 and can't be killed, and then they leave it for some reason. They get busted, sent to the unwinding center which is entirely an excuse to have a scene where a minor villain character is left anesthetized but conscious while he's being taken apart. So how do our dumb heroes get out of the same fate? Jesus-freak has been off into his own little plot cul-de-sac for a while, and he conveniently pops back up as a human bomb to take out the center for reasons. I'm not joking about that. There's some terrorist organization called the clappers, and at some point they get in contact with this kid and convince him to become a bomb; he changes his mind and the authorities take him in to de-bomb him. And now to paraphrase: as for the people who planned it, they had their reasons and their reasons were found out, and they got theirs in the end. It's rare you come across a Dues ex Machina that would have been less ridiculous if it was never explained.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That sounds like someone read the plot summary to Never Let Me Go but didn't realize that it actually focused on the characters living what lives they had and not just moping about being walking organ banks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

there wolf posted:

Yeah, that also sounds like a shitfest that I have no desire to defend. There was this book called Unwind that was real big a few years ago, and it was one giant "truth is in the middle" message about abortion. The war between pro/anti-abortion groups apparently became an actual war, and it was resolved with some law where up until age 18 you had the option to 'unwind' your kid which meant sending them off to have all their entire bodies cut up and donated, which totally wasn't the same as killing them because they lived on in pieces. The actual story is dull as all get-out, following the sulky strong male lead as he goes on a Logan's Run away from the authorities trying to unwind him; he picks up a girl who swoons a lot and makes dumb emotional decisions, and a young Jesus-freak who was born to be tithed to the unwinding process and is super pissed that they interrupted his destiny with their escape from death. They end up in a hidden town where they can hang out for the few months until they're 18 and can't be killed, and then they leave it for some reason. They get busted, sent to the unwinding center which is entirely an excuse to have a scene where a minor villain character is left anesthetized but conscious while he's being taken apart. So how do our dumb heroes get out of the same fate? Jesus-freak has been off into his own little plot cul-de-sac for a while, and he conveniently pops back up as a human bomb to take out the center for reasons. I'm not joking about that. There's some terrorist organization called the clappers, and at some point they get in contact with this kid and convince him to become a bomb; he changes his mind and the authorities take him in to de-bomb him. And now to paraphrase: as for the people who planned it, they had their reasons and their reasons were found out, and they got theirs in the end. It's rare you come across a Dues ex Machina that would have been less ridiculous if it was never explained.

It's still amazing to me that this book is real, because I just want to know what the hell the author was thinking. "Hmm, what would be a logical compromise to end a long war between both sides of the abortion issue? I know, the murder of actually conscious children. Both sides are gonna eat that poo poo up." I could almost buy it if it was, like, "abortion is illegal but any and all unwanted children can be surrendered at birth to the Definitely Not The Clonus Horror Children's Home," since that would at least nominally be a compromise between "no abortion" and "don't be forced to raised unwanted children," but the Unwind scenario is like the worst of both worlds: you have to raise the kids until they're like 13 or something (I think? I haven't read it myself), and then they get medical-murdered.

There's stupid YA nonsense, and then there's actively venal YA nonsense, and then there's Unwind. At least nobody rapes a bear? Like, as far as I know, anyway.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Antivehicular posted:

It's still amazing to me that this book is real, because I just want to know what the hell the author was thinking. "Hmm, what would be a logical compromise to end a long war between both sides of the abortion issue? I know, the murder of actually conscious children. Both sides are gonna eat that poo poo up." I could almost buy it if it was, like, "abortion is illegal but any and all unwanted children can be surrendered at birth to the Definitely Not The Clonus Horror Children's Home," since that would at least nominally be a compromise between "no abortion" and "don't be forced to raised unwanted children," but the Unwind scenario is like the worst of both worlds: you have to raise the kids until they're like 13 or something (I think? I haven't read it myself), and then they get medical-murdered.

There's stupid YA nonsense, and then there's actively venal YA nonsense, and then there's Unwind. At least nobody rapes a bear? Like, as far as I know, anyway.

Adoption is a solution for an unwanted child, not an unwanted pregnancy. But it's cool, it's not like Unwind has any interest is acknowledging the other person, unquestionable alive and conscious, involved in a pregnancy either. Just makes me so loving mad...

The author made a big deal about being neither for or against abortion when asked about it. The entire book is one long attempt at validating his ethical cowardice as the correct way to feel so it's all a bunch of contrivances to set up gotcha questions for either side. It's obviously not my bag, but I can't imagine a pro-life person reading this and appreciating the implication that slicing a kid of for parts doesn't mean they really dead, because you can get all the recipients together and feel the presence of the donor's soul.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

If I could remember what it was called I'd tell you about babies first libertarian manifesto which I was far less fond of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Owned_a_City

Is the one I recall, which my teacher read to us in grade 4, lol. It starts off pretty gripping and ends pretty dark.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

there wolf posted:

Adoption is a solution for an unwanted child, not an unwanted pregnancy. But it's cool, it's not like Unwind has any interest is acknowledging the other person, unquestionable alive and conscious, involved in a pregnancy either. Just makes me so loving mad...

The author made a big deal about being neither for or against abortion when asked about it. The entire book is one long attempt at validating his ethical cowardice as the correct way to feel so it's all a bunch of contrivances to set up gotcha questions for either side. It's obviously not my bag, but I can't imagine a pro-life person reading this and appreciating the implication that slicing a kid of for parts doesn't mean they really dead, because you can get all the recipients together and feel the presence of the donor's soul.
I can't imagine anyone who knows a drat thing about pregnancy or abortion thinking that slicing a teenager up for parts is any way analogous to abortion, unless you are A) an anti-abortion nutjob who is also B) a dude.

I'm not going to say men should never write books about ethics and childbearing, but FFS. THIS guy certainly shouldn't have.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

pookel posted:

I can't imagine anyone who knows a drat thing about pregnancy or abortion thinking that slicing a teenager up for parts is any way analogous to abortion, unless you are A) an anti-abortion nutjob who is also B) a dude.

I'm not going to say men should never write books about ethics and childbearing, but FFS. THIS guy certainly shouldn't have.

I was going to say, the author claims to be neither for nor against it but cutting up kids as an alternative to abortion really just sounds like something some pro-life nutjob likes to tell people is something that legal abortion will lead to because SLIPPERY SLOPE.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Re: Unwind, don't forget how racism is over because after the civil war over abortion some guy went round the country painting really moving pictures of white and black people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
YA dystopian novels are a wonderland for terrible social commentary based on absurd slippery slope scenarios. I brought one up earlier in the thread

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When I was a teenager, I read a YA dystopian novel about a future America where everyone was obsessed with safety. Everyone had to take pills to calm their negative emotions, and sports were played at a leisurely pace, and they'd renamed the USA the "Safer States Of America". The protagonist didn't take his drugs to get ahead in a race, so he had to go to a prison camp where he has to face the threat of polar bears, but learns to play American football the way it used to be played, and finally finds true happiness. All this was presented basically entirely straight-faced.

Weirdest old-man rant book I ever saw.

It turned out to be called Rash by Pete Hautman in case anyone was wondering

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Pretty sure there's at least two crappy sequels to Unwind, too. I tried to read a sporking of it but the whole premise was so idiotic and dull I couldn't maintain interest.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Seldom Posts posted:

Is the one I recall, which my teacher read to us in grade 4, lol. It starts off pretty gripping and ends pretty dark.

It's isn't, but is that the one where the adults all die/disappear and there's something about a pirate queen?

No the book I was thinking of was Storm Theif about this island affected by these probability storms that would blow through and randomly change poo poo up. basically building a level of instability into reality itself; also there are guard bots keeping anyone from leaving the island. It's of course run by some fascist state authority and your protagonists are two teens working as thieves who find some item the government is after and get chased around. The final confrontation leads to the teens running into the old control room and meeting a hologram of one of the guys who built the thing causing the storms and explains why to them. They created a perfect, post-scarcity, utopian society but then got bored with it all and created the storms to liven things up. Of course the first thing the storms did was remove whatever mechanism there was for turning them off, and the resulting chaos caused a collapse of society.

Gato posted:

Re: Unwind, don't forget how racism is over because after the civil war over abortion some guy went round the country painting really moving pictures of white and black people.

I'd forgotten this part. Why did you remind me?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
What's worse, a book with a dumb premise or a book that has an interesting premise and squanders it? Because I just remembered Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal series, and hoo boy. There's a parallel world where Neanderthals became the dominant species instead of Homo sapiens, and through shenanigans involving an underground research station in the same place in both worlds, a bridge opens up and a Neanderthal scientist falls through. So far so good, right?

Wrong. Not only is the book incredibly dull, but the author spends most of it jerking off about the superiority of the Neanderthals' peaceful ways and magical pollution-free technology because they're so in tune with nature. There's an equally dull romance with the female human main character, who's afraid to get too close to him because she was raped like fifteen pages in by some rando. She tried to scare the rapist off (while being held at knifepoint) by telling him she had hiv (she doesn't). The rapist is like "oh really... ME TOO."

I about cringed my entire face off and in retrospect I'm not sure why I didn't put it down right there. Somehow, this series has won many awards.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Seldom Posts posted:

Oh man, I loved this book as a kid. It gets pretty violent, I remember the protagonist almost gets assassinated somewhere towards the end. It probably wouldn't stand up to a reading as an adult.

My submission is Poet Anderson ...Of Nightmares by Tom DeLonge. Yes, the lead singer of Blink 182 Tom DeLonge. He's pushing a "multimedia storytelling experience" with this series, where the premise is basically that there is a "dream world" and the protagonist is super special because he can manipulate it better than anyone else, despite everyone he encounters having decades more experience than him. Technically DeLonge story boarded it and had someone else write it for him, but I'm not sure that anyone could've redeemed the story without ruining his "vision." He's doing a ton of vanity projects with it too, including a movie and a comic book series. He's apparently doing this with half a dozen other books that are just as middle school power fantasy-esque.

tentawesome has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Oct 20, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

there wolf posted:

It's isn't, but is that the one where the adults all die/disappear

Not a book, but this made me remember The Tribe, a British/New Zealand television series about the lives of children and teens in a city after a virus kills all of the adults. They gather into groups, Tribes, and it got pretty violent and dark at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_(TV_series)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brass Key posted:

What's worse, a book with a dumb premise or a book that has an interesting premise and squanders it? Because I just remembered Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal series, and hoo boy. There's a parallel world where Neanderthals became the dominant species instead of Homo sapiens, and through shenanigans involving an underground research station in the same place in both worlds, a bridge opens up and a Neanderthal scientist falls through. So far so good, right?

Wrong. Not only is the book incredibly dull, but the author spends most of it jerking off about the superiority of the Neanderthals' peaceful ways and magical pollution-free technology because they're so in tune with nature. There's an equally dull romance with the female human main character, who's afraid to get too close to him because she was raped like fifteen pages in by some rando. She tried to scare the rapist off (while being held at knifepoint) by telling him she had hiv (she doesn't). The rapist is like "oh really... ME TOO."

I about cringed my entire face off and in retrospect I'm not sure why I didn't put it down right there. Somehow, this series has won many awards.

I finished the first one and immediately gave up on the second one when I tried to read it.

That goddamned rape scene ruined the whole book.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

there wolf posted:

I'd forgotten this part. Why did you remind me?

You can tell they're not racist any more because they call people 'siena' and 'umber' instead of 'white' and 'black' because those were the colours the painter used, maaaan. I distinctly remember someone describing someone else as 'lily-siena'.

Funny the things that stick with you, really.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Speaking of hamfisted satire, does anyone remember that one where black people ("coals") ruled cruelly over white people ("diamonds") and the black folks were all ridiculously monstrous, and the (very white) author said BUT MAYBE YOU'RE THE RACIST IT'S ABOUT HOW HARD BLACK PEOPLE HAVE IT

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Brass Key posted:

That's a pretty interesting riff on the noble savage.

I'm going to go with squanders. I've read plenty of stuff with stupid premises that's still managed to be for or even good once you just accept whatever the dumb framing is. That's probably a good definition of a guilty pleasure for a lot of people; it's dumb, but if you go with it...

Indigo Raven
Sep 1, 2008

HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN!
Are you talking about Save the Pearls? It's some really trashy YA novel where due to increased UV radiation, white people (pearls) have died out and have to wear honest to god blackface to survive in a society dominated by black people (coals) and other people of color (each race had its own cutesy precious stone based nickname).

I remember the author was planning to launch a huge ad campaign trying to turn it into the next Hunger Games but considering that I haven't heard anything about it other than a few snark sites cackling at it, we can see how well that went. :v:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

tentawesome posted:

My submission is Poet Anderson ...Of Nightmares by Tom DeLonge. Yes, the lead singer of Blink 182 Tom DeLonge. He's pushing a "multimedia storytelling experience" with this series, where the premise is basically that there is a "dream world" and the protagonist is super special because he can manipulate it better than anyone else, despite everyone he encounters having decades more experience than him. Technically DeLonge story boarded it and had someone else write it for him, but I'm not sure that anyone could've redeemed the story without ruining his "vision." He's doing a ton of vanity projects with it too, including a movie and a comic book series. He's apparently doing this with half a dozen other books that are just as middle school power fantasy-esque.

I got sold so hard on that thing by one of the animated trailers they did for it. I bought the 15 minute "movie" for like $5 on iTunes and it didn't even have that scene. Calling it a generic power fantasy is an insult to generic power fantasies.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Indigo Raven posted:

Are you talking about Save the Pearls? It's some really trashy YA novel where due to increased UV radiation, white people (pearls) have died out and have to wear honest to god blackface to survive in a society dominated by black people (coals) and other people of color (each race had its own cutesy precious stone based nickname).

Coal is such an obvious racist nickname. Pearls and diamonds, things valued for appearances, and then dirty, dusty coal that almost nobody likes the look of and is mainly used for fuel. At least pick obsidian or something to make it less obvious. At least obsidian is also shiny and nice to look at.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Indigo Raven posted:

I remember the author was planning to launch a huge ad campaign trying to turn it into the next Hunger Games but considering that I haven't heard anything about it other than a few snark sites cackling at it, we can see how well that went. :v:
That's the ticket.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I like how the racism in Save the Pearls is so awful everyone forgets the romantic lead is a super-brilliant and powerful "coal" who turns himself into a panther man. And the writer had a bust of him commissioned.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Meet the author:

Oh what, she IS black?

No, wait.

Ooooooh nooooooooo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I like how the racism in Save the Pearls is so awful everyone forgets the romantic lead is a super-brilliant and powerful "coal" who turns himself into a panther man.

Any particular reason? Or did he just like panthers?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Meet the author:

Oh what, she IS black?

No, wait.

Ooooooh nooooooooo.

I went through the same though process.

"Hang on, her facial features don't look anything like...ohhhhhhhhhhh."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I like how the racism in Save the Pearls is so awful everyone forgets the romantic lead is a super-brilliant and powerful "coal" who turns himself into a panther man. And the writer had a bust of him commissioned.

There's a pantherman? Great. Now I have to read it.

Aw, public library. Why do you have to have standards now?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Pretty sure that's an actress for the promotional video about the book. Eden is the female lead and the reason she sprays herself with "midnight luster" (yes, it's actually called that in the book) is in part to protect herself from some BS radiation and in part to increase her "mate rate." See, all the light-skinned people are dying out because the sun is too hot or something.

I recall reading the author is older and one reviewer suggested they're stuck in an early 80s style of sci-fi writing. Possibly the author doesn't realize how racist the whole premise is - doesn't excuse it of course, but may explain why it's so bafflingly self-unaware.

The Lone Badger posted:

Any particular reason? Or did he just like panthers?

I can't recall if it was some experiment to save humanity or what. I think the real reason is the author wanted some werepanther-on-girl action.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I read Unwind and the scene where they actually do it to one teenager was very effective and still bothers me and I kind of hate the author for doing that. Because as explained above by other people, the whole thing is stupid as gently caress.

I read through Divergent hoping there'd be some kind of twist, like *everyone* is actually told they're divergent so they're all playing this weird cat-and-mouse with each other, but nope. It's as stupid as it looks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brass Key posted:

She tried to scare the rapist off (while being held at knifepoint) by telling him she had hiv (she doesn't). The rapist is like "oh really... ME TOO."

Probably terrible of me, but all I can think of is that this sounds like a line out of a Chick tract.

I'm thinking specifically of that one where a rock band are picked out and groomed for stardom by a manager who's Satan in disguise, and then when the one of them announces he's marrying his boyfriend against the manager's wishes, he thinks to himself, "Then I'll give you a wedding present... Some AIDS!"

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

HopperUK posted:

I read Unwind and the scene where they actually do it to one teenager was very effective and still bothers me and I kind of hate the author for doing that. Because as explained above by other people, the whole thing is stupid as gently caress.

I read through Divergent hoping there'd be some kind of twist, like *everyone* is actually told they're divergent so they're all playing this weird cat-and-mouse with each other, but nope. It's as stupid as it looks.

Yeah, I read Divergent and felt like the author was trying to turn not knowing what to do with your life after High School into a superpower. I kept reading looking for a "you are not really that special" moment, but it never came.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I got sold so hard on that thing by one of the animated trailers they did for it. I bought the 15 minute "movie" for like $5 on iTunes and it didn't even have that scene. Calling it a generic power fantasy is an insult to generic power fantasies.

I did the exact same thing :( I enjoy Angels & Airwaves, but I think I'm going to stay away from anything else he puts his hands on. A friend of mine tried to recommend this because we're both A&A fans and oh man.

The Goodreads summary:
The earth shifts. It seems impossible. A ghost girl reaches out to Charlie through the terrified skater boys. She’s being stalked by a vengeful spirit that shares a past with Charlie’s family. It soon becomes clear that the spirit is coming for him. He has to save the ghost girl and save himself. His only hope? The nerd Wiz, the loser Riley, the skaters Mouse and Mattheson who want to hook-up with the girl. But, seriously, she’s a ghost.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So I am reading The Left hand of Darkness for a class and i can't get into it. I went in with an open mind(i tried Atwood scifi earlier this year and i really love her stuff), I like some of the ideas the book tries to do(the governments diplomacy, the different concepts of gender,) but her writing and the intro to the book just turn me off. the introduction feels pretentious as gently caress and the writing in generals feels like its trying way to hard to be intelligent and artistic. i normally like descriptive writing alot but she feels way to long winded. I feel kinda bad for not liking it because everyone tells me how great Le Guin is. its probaly also because its written in present tense which i have never been into.

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Oct 22, 2016

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel kinda bad for not liking it because everyone tells me how great Le Guin is. its probaly also because its written in present tense which i have never been into.

I was really disappointed when I finally read Earthsea. They're supposed to be major scifi/fantasy books and obviously le Guin is super well known, but I honestly couldn't tell why. I had 0 emotional attachment to the characters, no real investment in the story, and can barely remember the plot by now. I felt like she spent way more time talking about weird magical rules and whatever than she did actually telling a story. Not that I would call them BAD (as far as I can remember), they were just supremely uninteresting to me.

I feel that way about most older scifi-type books though. A lot of them are written in a similarly dry style and it's not for me.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Captain Candyblood posted:

I felt like she spent way more time talking about weird magical rules and whatever than she did actually telling a story.

The reason why most fantasy and sci-fi is underwhelming.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Earthsea is notable because it came out in 1964. It's not really a terrific book no, but it's highly influential on the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Captain Candyblood posted:

I was really disappointed when I finally read Earthsea. They're supposed to be major scifi/fantasy books and obviously le Guin is super well known, but I honestly couldn't tell why. I had 0 emotional attachment to the characters, no real investment in the story, and can barely remember the plot by now. I felt like she spent way more time talking about weird magical rules and whatever than she did actually telling a story. Not that I would call them BAD (as far as I can remember), they were just supremely uninteresting to me.

I feel that way about most older scifi-type books though. A lot of them are written in a similarly dry style and it's not for me.

I pretty much enjoyed Earthsea, especially Ged's journey to defeat the wizard in the Dry Land - how his influence is compared to a narcotic, and how he's slowly destroying the entire world, because, well, nobody wants to die. On the other hand Tehanu is terrible garbage and she should have left it as a trilogy.