Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I've now decided that Innovative is the best idea group.

In my Ethiopia game I took Innovative for my first Admin idea (after having taken Exploration and Defensive). Normally I would take Administrative, but Ethiopia already has so many coring bonuses and getting a 5% Tech discount across the board that early in the game could be really good, plus that monthly war exhaustion reduction is amazing, and the mercenary maintenance reduction ain't bad either. Admin has some of those benefits, too, but I thought "screw it, I want to never worry about war exhaustion again"

Later, I declared war on Mamluks and quickly occupied 90% of their provinces, and then the Ottomans declared war. I thought to myself "poo poo, as soon as I peace out the Ottomans are just going to roll over everything unopposed." So I finished occupying as much as I could and Ottomans wound up only being able to occupy 3 poo poo-tier provinces.

And then I waited

A Call for Peace was made, and I continued to wait

Thanks to monthly war exhaustion reduction I was able to outlast the Ottomans, who received their own call for peace and had to accept a few crap provinces while I finished snaking my way to Alexandria. I had to put down 1 Mamluk noble rebellion during the waiting period, but it felt worth it to slow the expansion of the Ottomans (who are allied with France, which worries me)
Screwing over the Ottomans is always great, but aren't you worried they'll come and take the land directly? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Poil posted:

Screwing over the Ottomans is always great, but aren't you worried they'll come and take the land directly? :v:

Ottomans who go Quantity ideas first is the most obnoxious thing ever

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah stay at war for a couple years, it shouldn't take that long for your king to produce an heir or die, you won't get PU'd if you're at war when your monarch dies.

poo poo I just made peace with france and their allies and my manpower isn't that full.

Sorry burgundy I guess it's bitchslapping time, my only rival without a truce that poses no real threat (loving denmark is a pain this game, they are still holding onto Sweden and norway and they allied muscovy..)

So if my King dies during a war what happens? A new heir gets generated? Who takes the throne?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

So if my King dies during a war what happens? A new heir gets generated? Who takes the throne?

You'll get a low-legitimacy heir and probably some Pretender rebels will spawn. I dunno if the heir would be a random local dynasty or one from your royal marriages. If for example you get a Trastamara from Castile that might be beneficial long-run.

Anyway you'll probably have to deal with some rebels that spawn on ruler death and from your low legitimacy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

When you hover over the king it will tell you what will happen, just like normal. The condition will just change during the war. Probably a heir from one of your royal marriages.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I've now decided that Innovative is the best idea group.

In my Ethiopia game I took Innovative for my first Admin idea (after having taken Exploration and Defensive). Normally I would take Administrative, but Ethiopia already has so many coring bonuses and getting a 5% Tech discount across the board that early in the game could be really good, plus that monthly war exhaustion reduction is amazing, and the mercenary maintenance reduction ain't bad either. Admin has some of those benefits, too, but I thought "screw it, I want to never worry about war exhaustion again"

Later, I declared war on Mamluks and quickly occupied 90% of their provinces, and then the Ottomans declared war. I thought to myself "poo poo, as soon as I peace out the Ottomans are just going to roll over everything unopposed." So I finished occupying as much as I could and Ottomans wound up only being able to occupy 3 poo poo-tier provinces.

And then I waited

A Call for Peace was made, and I continued to wait

Thanks to monthly war exhaustion reduction I was able to outlast the Ottomans, who received their own call for peace and had to accept a few crap provinces while I finished snaking my way to Alexandria. I had to put down 1 Mamluk noble rebellion during the waiting period, but it felt worth it to slow the expansion of the Ottomans (who are allied with France, which worries me)

The AI doesnt get call for peace they just give up after awhile.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone having problems with saved games disappearing? I'm not playing ironman. Just saving before making a decision and rolling back if I made a bad call. But when I go back to reload, the save isn't there? Or worse, i'll save after a play session and go back to it the next day, only to find that the save isn't there, only an autosave from 1444. Its massively frustrating. Anyone know whats up?

Also, what DLCs are good to get? These are the ones I don't own yet: Mare Nostrum, Rights of Man, Cossacks, Common Sense. (Ill be waiting for the sales, of course. All of these are too expensive at non-sale price)

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 24, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Poil posted:

I didn't take any land bordering or sharing a sea zone with the Ottomans, so that possibly won't be for awhile. My strategy was just to delay their expansion by limiting the number of provinces that they could take, and it totally worked!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rights of Man, Cossacks, and Common Sense are all really good. Some say Common Sense is must-have, and I think Rights of Man is must-have.

Cossacks is must-have if you want to play a horde nation, and while some people don't like them I think Estates are a really good mechanic. Cossacks also let you mark provinces of interest, and your vassals will create claims on these provinces if they are able; this makes expansion faster and easier.

Mare Nostrum has some okay stuff in it. Worth picking up in a sale.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
God drat it, I get called into a defensive war against France/Ottomans as Castille with approximately a billion allies including Austria. We pretty much full siege France (the enemy war leader) and are at about 75 warscore. Bleed all of my manpower and take five loans fighting a bloody war. Austria gives me Bearn and pretty much does nothing else instead of doing the smart thing of dismantling France as much as possible. Or at least making them annul with the Ottomans.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jsor posted:

God drat it, I get called into a defensive war against France/Ottomans as Castille with approximately a billion allies including Austria. We pretty much full siege France (the enemy war leader) and are at about 75 warscore. Bleed all of my manpower and take five loans fighting a bloody war. Austria gives me Bearn and pretty much does nothing else instead of doing the smart thing of dismantling France as much as possible. Or at least making them annul with the Ottomans.

And that is why you say gently caress the trust/relations hit and separate peace to get what you want.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

QuarkJets posted:

Cossacks is must-have if you want to play a horde nation, and while some people don't like them I think Estates are a really good mechanic. Cossacks also let you mark provinces of interest, and your vassals will create claims on these provinces if they are able; this makes expansion faster and easier.

:psyduck:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Could you... elaborate?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

QuarkJets posted:

Could you... elaborate?

Just didn't know they'd do that, makes it a little less important for me to create convoluted snakey structures. :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just didn't know they'd do that, makes it a little less important for me to create convoluted snakey structures. :v:

Oh yeah, it's totally great! It's also like having a ton of extra diplomats at your disposal

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Trying to do a Switzerland run. What can I do to make my 12k army pack the most punch? Last time, going full focus on the Quantity idea set hurt me in the long run. Any way to circumvent land force limits without paying horrifying financial penalties?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Dali Parton posted:

Trying to do a Switzerland run. What can I do to make my 12k army pack the most punch? Last time, going full focus on the Quantity idea set hurt me in the long run. Any way to circumvent land force limits without paying horrifying financial penalties?

Trick France into winning wars for you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dali Parton posted:

Take Humanist and Influence ideas pronto. The real problem isn't your military, it's AE. Don't worry about your small army, the HRE is a total thunderdome, just pick off your neighbours whenever they weaken themselves in pointless wars. Use your mountain forts to just wreck people. Best military ideas are Defensive and Offensive, in that order.

And always trick France into winning wars for you.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Trick France into winning wars for you.

PittTheElder posted:

And always trick France into winning wars for you.

code:
                          | /
                          |/

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
In my current Ming game France got a PU over Castile after Castile won the Burgundian inheritance, including pretty much all of the Netherlands. It's 1555 and Castile will be integrated by 1570. Luckily the Ottomans are out of control this game and they are rivals. I really hope they clash.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tsyni posted:

In my current Ming game France got a PU over Castile after Castile won the Burgundian inheritance, including pretty much all of the Netherlands. It's 1555 and Castile will be integrated by 1570. Luckily the Ottomans are out of control this game and they are rivals. I really hope they clash.

edit: Just noticed Castile has 110000 troops. France has 90000. Zero liberty desire, of course.

oops quote is not edit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Napoleon was right

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Oh yeah, it's totally great! It's also like having a ton of extra diplomats at your disposal

It's already proving medium-useful in my Mali game (in which I am perpetually terrified of Spain and Portugal coming after me before I can catch up in tech).

I managed to swipe Colonialism though, which'll buy a little advantage.

Can't decide whether I want to push for the achievement directly, or play it safe and dominate Asian trade and just use the massive cash and development advantage to blast my way into South America at a later date. The latter is probably a better idea but theoretically I could knock the achievement out in ten rounds of colonizing and move on.

I'm not exactly super-interested in unifying Islam as Mali, especially since I don't have the Ibadi achievement which is very similar indeed. :v:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Common Sense is the one that allows province development right? It seems like Rights of Man makes it a must-have.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is there a way to view the stats of a pretender rebels' monarch? My current ruler is 1/3/3 and my 3/4/2 heir is only 2 years old; if the pretender has good stats then I might be interested in just letting them take over, but I can't seem to find their stats anywhere (I'd think it'd be in the Stability tab where it mentions the name of the ruler that will take over, but nope, no stats)

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Is there a way to view the stats of a pretender rebels' monarch? My current ruler is 1/3/3 and my 3/4/2 heir is only 2 years old; if the pretender has good stats then I might be interested in just letting them take over, but I can't seem to find their stats anywhere (I'd think it'd be in the Stability tab where it mentions the name of the ruler that will take over, but nope, no stats)
You used to be able to view it on the rebels screen but it seems like that was removed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed something amazing in my game.

At first I was like, Ryazan (who has two provinces from what I can see) lucked out and got a PU...oh wait, they are Sunni Ryazan...oh wait, they are allied to the Ottomans :|

Amazing.

Here's the state of the world, other than the New world which I have most of the west coast of NA:

Dai Viet, Mongols, and Nepal are my vassals atm.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is it always worth to annex a vassal or sometimes you just keep it around? I have mega gascony, 840 dip points to annex... I could afford that, but I see they have alright military ideas (england army sucks) and I am wondering if I should keep them as my attack dog against European enemies while I colonize the hell out of North America and Africa.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

You used to be able to view it on the rebels screen but it seems like that was removed.

Dang

I decided to take a chance, since 1/3/3 is pretty bad. Got a 2/6/6 from the rebels, happy about that!

e: I was also stuck with 50 legitimacy rules over and over, but the "pretender" ruler has 100 legitimacy. Score!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 24, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Is it always worth to annex a vassal or sometimes you just keep it around? I have mega gascony, 840 dip points to annex... I could afford that, but I see they have alright military ideas (england army sucks) and I am wondering if I should keep them as my attack dog against European enemies while I colonize the hell out of North America and Africa.

Keep them and designate them as a march if you're intending to use them that way.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Playing Ethiopia and the Renaissance has just appeared. I'm at 4/4/4 for technology. Should I be saving up for tech 5 or pumping development into my gold mine in Kaffa to buy myself the Renaissance?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Corbyn posted:

Playing Ethiopia and the Renaissance has just appeared. I'm at 4/4/4 for technology. Should I be saving up for tech 5 or pumping development into my gold mine in Kaffa to buy myself the Renaissance?

If it's JUST appeared you can probably still invest in tech and give it some time to spread naturally to make the embrace cost cheaper (you might still have to pump a province up a bit to "seed" it, in which case, kill two birds with one stone and pump your gold mine). The tech penalty scales up over time and isn't too much to worry about until your total penalty is up to about 40% or so.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I haven't played enough games yet to have a solid opinion on it, but personally I think it's worth dumping points into development immediately. Or at least working towards it from right when it appears. Renaissance's natural growth is pretty slow, even down to Ethiopia, I think it takes like 100+ years to spread there.

OTOH I guess the 50% tech penalty isn't exactly world ending.

I'm actually about to start an Ethiopia game myself. How long have they been an Empire from the start of the game for?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

Koramei posted:

I haven't played enough games yet to have a solid opinion on it, but personally I think it's worth dumping points into development immediately. Or at least working towards it from right when it appears. Renaissance's natural growth is pretty slow, even down to Ethiopia, I think it takes like 100+ years to spread there.

OTOH I guess the 50% tech penalty isn't exactly world ending.

I agree with this. You get the immediate benefit of the higher developed provinces and the Renaissance will still take a bit to spread around your lands anyway. Unless you're already at the Mediterranean it's going to take some time to get to you. Farmlands + centre of trade are cheapest to develop, plus your capital obviously.

Also, if you take exploration and book it, you can get to the new world and get a colony in time to have a chance for Colonialism.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 24, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cheers for the advice. Decided to focus on diplomacy so I had points for exploration and boosting my gold mine. Trading in coffee's got me a 10% boost to institution spread too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

Developing Kaffa is a really bad idea since it's a mountain province, which makes development cost 50% more. To bring an institution from 0 to 100% presence in a province you need to invest about 2000 points before modifiers, so doing it in Kaffa would cost you an extra 1000. I know you don't have a whole lot of other options in that region, but try to avoid mountain provinces at all costs.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Also keep in mind if you boost production past 10 in a gold mine province you'll risk depleting the mine and losing half of it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I don't even know how this happened

Elman posted:

Also keep in mind if you boost production past 10 in a gold mine province you'll risk depleting the mine and losing half of it.

They changed it to there always being a chance, it's just higher the more development you have

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tsyni posted:

Also, if you take exploration and book it, you can get to the new world and get a colony in time to have a chance for Colonialism.

Fister Roboto posted:

Developing Kaffa is a really bad idea since it's a mountain province, which makes development cost 50% more. To bring an institution from 0 to 100% presence in a province you need to invest about 2000 points before modifiers, so doing it in Kaffa would cost you an extra 1000. I know you don't have a whole lot of other options in that region, but try to avoid mountain provinces at all costs.

I'm about 1605 in my Ethiopia game I'll post some screenshots and more detailed advice later today. But you don't need a new world colony to spawn Colonialism, you just need to take Exploration and discover the New World. As Ethiopia, take Exploration ideas first and island-hop down to southern Africa. You should have enough range to explore the New World coastline from either Cape or St. Helena. Don't bother colonizing any of the Americas or western Africa, you're not going to be able to get any good trade income from them. Focus on blocking off southern Africa (Cape node) to slow down Euros getting into Asia, get the Indian Ocean islands, and colonize SE Asia. Don't forget to send a conquistador to the new world though.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's always better to "bootstrap" new institutions in one province than eat the tech costs. Developing a province enough to accept an institution costs about 2000 points before modifiers. Eating the tech cost modifier of a new institution for 50 years will cost about 2250 points (new tech every ~13 years, 75*3 + 150*3 + 225*3 + 300*3 = 2250). So depending on your development cost modifiers it's usually going to be cheaper to develop a province to ~40, plus you actually get a big province from those points rather than them being wasted on tech costs.

Ethiopia starts with an awesome ruler, yeah your provinces all have high development cost terrain but whatever. You start with like 93 development so buying ~30 to bootstrap the Renaissance is a big boost to your economy which you can absolutely afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I suspect they will reduce the institution gain from development soon ad at the moment it's really easy to keep up in tech as a non-white, and the Ai is bad at it

• Locked thread