Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That would require a 3rd AAI game, no? Did the game do well enough in Japan for them to consider it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einwand posted:

I'm currently failing at comprehending what the point to the 4th case was and I'm feeling doubtful that case 5 day 2 is going to change my thoughts on the matter.

The fourth case, like the rest of the cases, serves to drive home the theme of family and legacy that is central to the game while also giving Athena a chance to take on the prosecutor so all three characters get to beat him at least once.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I do kind of like that they foisted Simon onto you as the mentor character, despite it being unlikely the player needs one at that point in the game. So they split the difference by making him suprememly unhelpful.

"This witness is full of poo poo. Dammit Athena, stop simpering and tell the court why he's full of poo poo!"

I wonder if this was what Edgeworth's tutelage under Von Karma was like.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Simon rocks. He's your guide through the world of Japanese culture in that case because he's a mega-weeb. I wonder if there are any fans of Ace Attorney in Japan who are curious about how the game was localized or what the differences are.

"Oh, well in America, it's set in America. Yeah it's required some adjustments. Oh the ronin prosecutor? Yeah they don't have ronin in America, so instead he's a particular brand of American dork who likes Japan too much, commonly known as a 'weeaboo'. Weeaboo? Yes, well, there was this webcomic and--"

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I know it's heresy in these parts but I've come to conclude that Simon is the best prosecutor after Edgeworth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simon is genuinely my favorite non-Edgeworth prosecutor, yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Plom Bar posted:

I know it's heresy in these parts but I've come to conclude that Simon is the best prosecutor after Edgeworth.

That's my ranking.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

I like him more tbh.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Plom Bar posted:

Who else would it be? I'm a Godot man myself, but I've learned that that's more of a thread minority. Simon is definitely a top three prosecutor.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Plom Bar posted:

That's like the most common opinion in these parts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Now, if you'd said Klavier....

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Who else would it be? I'm a Godot man myself, but I've learned that that's more of a thread minority. Simon is definitely a top three prosecutor.

In the last thread, Godot was tops for everyone. This is...unexpected.

Mind you that thread...yeah.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Godot always causes arguments because he's a lovely person but (subjectively) an amusing character in a video game, and trying to reconcile those two things doesn't always end well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's a bad person, and people are divided over whether that makes him a bad character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just think he's a boring prosecutor.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

He's a bad person, which makes him an excellent character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I just think he's a boring prosecutor.

I thought he was pretty decent. Like, it was interesting how his main goal in court was to beat Nick and prove him a loser rather than keep a perfect record or make the defendant guilty or anything, which was pretty unique. Even if it meant he didn't really need to do anything different than other prosecutors.

Though to be fair my favourite part about Godot was when he was being an awful vindictive jerk against a dude he had a grudge against for no real reason. Which has little to do with how he actually prosecutes or how interesting an opponent he is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's better than Nahyuta and Klavier, but that's it. It's like he's not even trying to prosecute. His objections are just "but reasonable doubt exists" even though that's the defense's argument. And he likes coffee. He's lame.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

His objections are just "but reasonable doubt exists" even though that's the defense's argument.

I mean it doesn't really work from a gameplay standpoint but from a story standpoint that's actually pretty brilliant

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Godot had excellent spit takes.

Also can I just say how refreshing it is that we can have this conversation without a pile of goons getting offended on behalf of a fictional anime videogame lawyer

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like the bits when the judge asks Godot if he had any objections and then Godot does his sniffing coffee/head shaking animation in lieu of speaking

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like when Simon goes "gently caress you, Hugh O'Connor," and goes for a walk during a trial.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't remember exactly when it happened, maybe the first non-Mia time Pursuit plays? But my favourite Godot moment was when his freak-out reaction was just chugging coffee.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

He's better than Nahyuta and Klavier, but that's it. It's like he's not even trying to prosecute. His objections are just "but reasonable doubt exists" even though that's the defense's argument. And he likes coffee. He's lame.

You're lame, Turdiak.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dongicus posted:

You're lame, Turdiak.

And you're an idiot dipshit rear end in a top hat moron retard dickhead, but you don't see me picking on you over it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

And you're an idiot dipshit rear end in a top hat moron retard dickhead, but you don't see me picking on you over it.

:yikes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Woah

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

satorha! idiot dipshit rear end in a top hat moron retard dickhead

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Godot's lines are really good and "but reasonable doubt exists" is at least an actual worthwhile objection, and his cases are set up such that the murder isn't proven until the very end.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

5-2:

[Spoiler]"so we found the blood of a mysterious third party at the crime scene that has been wiped away"

Does this win the "single piece of evidence most likely to immediately get a 'not guilty' verdict in real life" award for the series?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

See, I kinda feel the same way about Nahyuta. He's a dick on a personal level in a way that Godot isn't but the quality of the objections are equally, uh, unobjectionable? "This is baseless supposition, and the defense doesn't have a thing to back it up" is 100% accurate for most PW defenses, at the time you make the objection. Unfortunately we're the protagonist so it turns out he's wrong but it's a completely normal reaction.

The whole "let it go, and move on," is his biggest flaw. It's meant to be this monk-like detachment from worldly concerns but it just makes him sound like an rear end in a top hat. Peoples lives are at stake here, man. Show some loving decorum. (Totally fine with his constantly condemning the defense to hell though, that poo poo is hilarious.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rangpur posted:

See, I kinda feel the same way about Nahyuta. He's a dick on a personal level in a way that Godot isn't but the quality of the objections are equally, uh, unobjectionable? "This is baseless supposition, and the defense doesn't have a thing to back it up" is 100% accurate for most PW defenses, at the time you make the objection. Unfortunately we're the protagonist so it turns out he's wrong but it's a completely normal reaction.

The whole "let it go, and move on," is his biggest flaw. It's meant to be this monk-like detachment from worldly concerns but it just makes him sound like an rear end in a top hat. Peoples lives are at stake here, man. Show some loving decorum. (Totally fine with his constantly condemning the defense to hell though, that poo poo is hilarious.)

The condemning to hell would be more funny to me if it weren't for the fact that in half the cases that's literal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I-2, I forgot how insane this airplane is, Jesus. These tickets must have been like 2000 dollars both ways.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I-2, I forgot how insane this airplane is, Jesus. These tickets must have been like 2000 dollars both ways.

That's just what airplanes are going to be like in the far flung future of two and a half years from now

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Reported

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Actually, this is a bit harsh.

Ethan's got more character than Nahyuta.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The contradiction is often harder on the prosecution than it is the defense.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

All this talk of insufferable prosecutors really makes me wish there was a "press *button* to shut *character* up" prompt like in the best Capcom game ever, Asura's Wrath. With Nahyuta,I'd do that all the drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If there was a button to deck Nahyuta in the schnoz I'd never stop pressing it