Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Duckbag posted:

This joke was tired as gently caress even before TV Tropes got to it.

I have to say Lost did the "characters were always here" gag the best. Two characters showed up out of nowhere, everyone kept asking who the hell they were, then it turned out they discovered a bunch of poo poo on the island before anyone else, and finally got accidentally buried alive by the main cast. It was so morbidly hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Buffy one was, at least, specifically supernatural and not just something that happened.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Pictured: Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, driving men.
An argument could be made against any of the passengers in that car really qualifying as "Men."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

sticklefifer posted:

I have to say Lost did the "characters were always here" gag the best. Two characters showed up out of nowhere, everyone kept asking who the hell they were, then it turned out they discovered a bunch of poo poo on the island before anyone else, and finally got accidentally buried alive by the main cast. It was so morbidly hilarious.

Everyone hated those guys, but I loved that outside the main cast, almost all of the survivors were so out of the loop. And that they were getting increasingly pissy about it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

To everyone who suggested One Punch Man a few pages back, I finally saw an episode of it and it was kinda funny but so graphically violent that it just rolled over into really depressing. Like yeah I get that it's satire or whatever but in the episode I saw, someone got punched in the face so hard their brains and eyes exploded out of their skull not once but twice. :smith: :barf:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Philip Rivers posted:

To everyone who suggested One Punch Man a few pages back, I finally saw an episode of it and it was kinda funny but so graphically violent that it just rolled over into really depressing. Like yeah I get that it's satire or whatever but in the episode I saw, someone got punched in the face so hard their brains and eyes exploded out of their skull not once but twice. :smith: :barf:

You should definitely check out Superjail.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

prefect posted:

You should definitely check out Superjail.

I don't think Superjail is a good show either.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Philip Rivers posted:

I don't think Superjail is a good show either.

Yeah, I didn't think you'd actually like it; I was being sarcastic. :shobon:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

prefect posted:

Yeah, I didn't think you'd actually like it; I was being sarcastic. :shobon:

It's cool, sometimes I deadpan in response to sarcasm because I think it's funny or something.

I did laugh when one of the bad guys called out some really long winded anime attack name and then the main character goes "consecutive... normal punches." :geno:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Philip Rivers posted:

Wow, that's pretty effed-up. Shoot!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
One Punch Man is starting to definitely sound like something I should watch.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Philip Rivers posted:

I did laugh when one of the bad guys called out some really long winded anime attack name and then the main character goes "consecutive... normal punches." :geno:

now you're getting into the spirit

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Wow, that's pretty effed-up. Shoot!

It didn't even upset me in the sense that I thought it was too violent on principle, I just felt really sad for the people whose heads exploded in a moment that was supposed to be played up for yucks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The gently caress are you doing watching Rick and Morty then?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Philip Rivers posted:

It didn't even upset me in the sense that I thought it was too violent on principle, I just felt really sad for the people whose heads exploded in a moment that was supposed to be played up for yucks.

It's okay, they are not real people.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I can't recall any points in R&M where we see close up brain splatter, at least in any scenes that seem like they're going for pure comedy. I guess maybe in Rick Potion No. 9 when Jerry shotguns the Kronenberg nurse in the head, but the punchline to that joke wasn't "haha look at this dude's head blow up!"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I can't recall any points in R&M where we see close up brain splatter, at least in any scenes that seem like they're going for pure comedy. I guess maybe in Rick Potion No. 9 when Jerry shotguns the Kronenberg nurse in the head, but the punchline to that joke wasn't "haha look at this dude's head blow up!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlFqL72iV0

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Philip Rivers posted:

This is such a weird and arbitrary distinction. It's not the punchline to the joke but it's pretty clearly played for laughs when Morty shoots off that bug guy's leg in the Pilot, or Jerry goes on a shotgun rampage in Rick Potion No. 9, or Krombopulous "Here I go killing again!" Michael, or Look Who's Purging Now when Rick and Arthricia (totally had to look up her name) are literally dancing on the gory entrails of the ruling elite and making joke about it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Murdering and dancing upon the remains of the Upper class is more of a utopian vision, though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I don't find that nearly as disturbing as this:

Sorry I disagree about this scene being funny, I guess?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The part that's weird is that you stopped watching the whole show because you found a gory joke not funny for ~reasons~ when we have Rick axe murdering all of his clones cackling gleefully while his grandchildren scream in the background and that's perfectly fine.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Strobe posted:

The part that's weird is that you stopped watching the whole show because you found a gory joke not funny for ~reasons~ when we have Rick axe murdering all of his clones cackling gleefully while his grandchildren scream in the background and that's perfectly fine.

It's not arbitrary at all to say that I don't care for hyperviolence as a joke and a punchline in and of itself. Rick and Morty leans in to the violence being horrible and traumatic, which gives it depth. That scene works because Morty and Summer are screaming in terror.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Philip Rivers posted:

It's not arbitrary at all to say that I don't care for hyperviolence as a joke and a punchline in and of itself. Rick and Morty leans in to the violence being horrible and traumatic, which gives it depth. That scene works because Morty and Summer are screaming in terror.

Somebody's gonna get laid in college.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What about when the giant homeless man explodes in low orbit, literally raining gore from the sky?

Or in the first episode
"They're robots!"
*bleeds out horribly, screaming about his children*
"I mean they're bureaucrats, Morty, I don't respect them!"
*massive yucks*

What I'm saying is Rick and Morty plays hyperviolence for laughs.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Edit: Nevermind. Derails are dumb.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Philip Rivers posted:

Wasn't the punch line about an author who famously blew his own head off?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Last Chance posted:

:allears: Come on, people, this is adorable. There was apparently a great war against the "pro-parasite" folks that I completely missed out on, and this person clearly won that war singlehandedly, like Rambo.

Mr. Poopy Butthole is Real.

There's a fan theory claiming that the whole episode took place in a different reality from the one the series normally follows (identical except for Mr. Poopy Butthole).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Philip Rivers posted:

Rick and Morty is insanely violent what the hell.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

It's not as well animated.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Also in the first episode, Rick freezes that bully kid and then he shatters into a million horrible shards, traumatizing Summer. Not for laughs.

Next season the car lasers a random thug pediatrician and slices him into a horrible pile of meat, traumatizing Summer. Not for laughs.

A punch man punches a bug dude and his head explodes cartoonishly. For laughs, horribly problematic.

This thread never ceases to amaze me and I'm hoping these weird derails about secret hidden messages and how offensive anime is last forever.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Philip Rivers posted:

I don't find that nearly as disturbing as this:

Sorry I disagree about this scene being funny, I guess?
That's hilarious.
Come on, the whole series is a send-up of those anime villains that are so ultra-serious and have crazy long backstories and attack names, just to be taken out by a silly looking bald dude in one hit. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Heck, in the first ep one of the bad guys destroys like an entire city filled with innocent people. It's not real.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

That's the joke. Saitima is literally all powerful, and it's the villains (or side heroes) you sympathize with because even if their evil asshats they struggle to achieve anything and want to take themselves and what they do seriously. Then they die from a half hearted bunch from a bored nerd.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MariusLecter posted:

It's not as well animated.

Neither is any anime ever.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

counterfeitsaint posted:

watch the last episode of OPM

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Not really. Most are kid's/perverts mourning/midnight cartoons used to advertise toys or the comic books their based off of, so naturally they have little to no budget for that. But at least a couple a season are a legit project of love.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Any animation made to pander and/or sell merchandise to nerds and kids will inevitably be just enough quality to not drive people away with disgust. Western animation in the 80's was saturated with this (mainly Hanna-Barbera shows), and even today you will find many low effort 3D productions aimed at children. Japanese animation today is the same, with the addition of shows aimed at man-children.

Some of it is good though. Like One Punch Man. Just don't watch it because someone in the Rick and Morty thread told you to because that's a silly suggestion. Watch it because you find a bald nerd making bug's heads explode with a single punch inherently funny.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

It's okay, they're robots.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Philip Rivers posted:

You were fine with this bit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tpYFen3fJM

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That dimension has some super-aggro pediatricians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

prefect posted:

That dimension has some super-aggro pediatricians.

To be fair, I'd probably be rather on edge if I lived in a world with giant mind-controlling spiders during a war with 'em.

• Locked thread