Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I feel like this pro-wrestler ought to somehow be able to make a story out of being the most famous loser in a tournament format. Idk somehow I feel like that could be good television especially if he yells a lot and knocks over tables and poo poo before commercial break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

reignofevil posted:

I feel like this pro-wrestler ought to somehow be able to make a story out of being the most famous loser in a tournament format. Idk somehow I feel like that could be good television especially if he yells a lot and knocks over tables and poo poo before commercial break.

Nobody cares about that poo poo anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

I know the thought process behind this is that obviously it would do pretty big viewership for TUF this late in its production history, but there's way too high a chance it would have absolutely no longterm benefit for the UFC and be a colossal waste of time and resources. There's hardly any guarantee Punk would win even in a tournament of strictly debutantes or 0-1/1-0 fighters, and then you're stuck giving a longterm contract to some inexperienced, unremarkable, unmarketable nobody who could would lose to virtually any welterweight on the roster at this stage in their career.

If the UFC decides they want to keep Punk under contract and develop him or milk another fight or two out of him, that is obviously their call, but there's no logical benefit to doing so by investing their time and money into TUF: Scrubs, Team Dober vs. Team Barberena.

"Punk appears" is more the draw there than "Punk succeeds."

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

Bring back Fred Ettish!

fred ettish would gently caress punk's world up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5maknndsas

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

dont even fink about it posted:

"Punk appears" is more the draw there than "Punk succeeds."

The entire point of my post was that Punk would need to succeed to make a televised tournament of people with extremely green or non-existent pro mma records for the grand prize of a six fight six figure contract worthwhile to the ufc to put on. Punk appearing very likely could single handedly cause the ratings boost necessary to completely offset production costs of the television series, but they are stuck paying an unusually high amount of money for whoever the winner is, and the winner is just as likely or possibly even more likely to be 0-1 Chunky Cornhusker the Nebraska division 17 wrestling standout who will fight anyone the ufc puts in front of him all glory to Jesus than it is to be the single profitable guy they have on the roster, who is already under a multifight six figure contract to begin with.

The UFC got extremely lucky in that their search for an opponent for CM Punk turned up interesting, marketable fighters with clear upsides in Sage Northcutt and Mickey Gall. That lightning will not strike the 15 more times necessary to fill out a TUF lineup, when again, CM Punk is already on a contract better than the one TUF gives out anyway. There's absolutely no longterm upside to it.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
That is a fair point. Even assuming they forego the qualification round to benefit punk, the show may do great numbers on episode 1 and probably a sharp drop episode 2 onward assuming punk wouldn't be immediately eliminated.

Touche mr/mrs deanie

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In the very unlikely scenario that TUF: Punk happened, I'm sure that there'd be some heavy meddling involved so that CM Punk isn't in the first fight and loses early.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

The entire point of my post was that Punk would need to succeed to make a televised tournament of people with extremely green or non-existent pro mma records for the grand prize of a six fight six figure contract worthwhile to the ufc to put on. Punk appearing very likely could single handedly cause the ratings boost necessary to completely offset production costs of the television series, but they are stuck paying an unusually high amount of money for whoever the winner is, and the winner is just as likely or possibly even more likely to be 0-1 Chunky Cornhusker the Nebraska division 17 wrestling standout who will fight anyone the ufc puts in front of him all glory to Jesus than it is to be the single profitable guy they have on the roster, who is already under a multifight six figure contract to begin with.

The UFC got extremely lucky in that their search for an opponent for CM Punk turned up interesting, marketable fighters with clear upsides in Sage Northcutt and Mickey Gall. That lightning will not strike the 15 more times necessary to fill out a TUF lineup, when again, CM Punk is already on a contract better than the one TUF gives out anyway. There's absolutely no longterm upside to it.

Most of the point of shows like TUF are to generate interest and introduce people to the product, and very little of it is about finding the next big name.

Wikipedia posted:

The winners of the first three seasons of The Ultimate Fighter competition, and certain runners-up depending on their performance in their competition finals, receive the touted "six-figure" contract to fight in the UFC. These contracts are specifically three-year contracts with a guaranteed first year.[26] Each year consists of three fights, the first year's purse per fight consists of $12,000 guaranteed with a $12,000 win bonus (a maximum of $24,000 per fight). The second year's purse per fight is $16,000 with a $16,000 win bonus (a maximum of $32,000 per fight) and the third year's purse per fight is at $22,000 with a $22,000 win bonus (a maximum of $44,000 per fight).[26]

A TUF winner who goes 9–0 can earn $300,000 total on the contract, but only $150,000 is guaranteed for all three years if nine fights are fought.[26] Some TUF competitors who did not win the series were also offered UFC contracts, although not on as attractive terms.[27]

This is a tiny cost, the people who win the Diva Search/Tough Enough contests in WWE probably stand to earn as much or more and they are almost never developed.

quote:

In the very unlikely scenario that TUF: Punk happened, I'm sure that there'd be some heavy meddling involved so that CM Punk isn't in the first fight and loses early.

I somehow doubt that Dana will have any interest in protecting Punk at this point.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I feel like if Punk were to be a big enough ratings draw on TUF to matter he'd be a draw (again) on PPV so you might as well get the money now, but admittedly if he were to appear on TUF they likely wouldn't have to pay him half a million or search for a comically inexperienced opponent to put on PPV.

Either way I either want Punk to fight again in the UFC or join the Ken Shamrocks of the world in the Bellator "Really?" Division.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

I somehow doubt that Dana will have any interest in protecting Punk at this point.

Not to protect Punk, but because it'd be the main reason to tune in and if that comes and goes quickly, there's less reason to keep tuning in etc

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maybe have a TUF for the right to help train CM Punk.
Do a TUF where its only Punk. He gets all these famous MMA guys come in and train him. At the end of each week, he has a smoker against some rando 0-0 dude to show off what he's learned.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

coconono posted:

maybe have a TUF for the right to help train CM Punk.
Do a TUF where its only Punk. He gets all these famous MMA guys come in and train him. At the end of each week, he has a smoker against some rando 0-0 dude to show off what he's learned.

Wasn't that Bellator's Fight Master?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LobsterMobster posted:

Wasn't that Bellator's Fight Master?

I was thinking of GameCenter CX

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

greg hardy is getting into mma

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ty1990 posted:

He knows he has to fight men, right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ty1990 posted:

I hope he gets deleted

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UFC really needs a #BROKEN fighter

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

wait, is Punk seriously still doing MMA

can't he just go back to Ring of Honor or w/e

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Venomous posted:

Punk doesn't want to wrestle anymore. He also has enough money on hand so he doesn't have to get lured back in.

Besides, Punk's MMA Adventures brings us all joy. 138 pages of hope, loss and vindication.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Venomous posted:

He's retired and MMA is his hobby instead of woodworking or making model airplanes. It's a little weird he got a pro fight because of his wrestling fame, but not surprising he'd keep at it after losing.

If a guy from a rec league baseball or hockey team got a chance to play with the pros for one game, it's doubtful they'd quit after the experience.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I would get the poo poo kicked out of me every two years if it meant that they paid me like Punk.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I can't imagine a curmudgeonly misanthropic Punk living in a TUF house for 10 weeks.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not to protect Punk, but because it'd be the main reason to tune in and if that comes and goes quickly, there's less reason to keep tuning in etc

Kimbo slice got eliminated in the second episode of TUF

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ryback's making a decision in January about whether or not he'll do Bellator

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

What if Ryback's entire life is built around copying/spiting Punk. If he marries some hot Puerto Rican chick I'll laugh my rear end off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should book a ryback/cm punk fight so ryback can kill him again

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Big Traps Big Taps

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

freud mayweather posted:

Big Traps Big Taps

Big meals Big Weigh in misses

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is that shithead Ryback in Belator yet? I just want him to copy Punk right down to the dramatised documentary. Maybe an episode about his eating habits and self-help books?

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Ryback nearly killed Punk with fake offense, imagine what he could do if he actually tried to hurt him

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Ryback after the weight cut.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
MOBI!?

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

BGrifter posted:

Ryback after the weight cut.

Nobody CARES, Moby.

Nobody cares.

Nobody.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mystery Opponent posted:

Ryback nearly killed Punk with fake offense, imagine what he could do if he actually tried to hurt him
what if ryback is so bad at wrestling that he is more dangerous when he is trying not to hurt you

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Nobody CARES, Moby.

Nobody cares.

Nobody.

Pinch the tail
Suck the head
Use the vest as a napkin
Throw away the eyes

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

The Stroker Ace posted:

I can't imagine a curmudgeonly misanthropic Punk living in a TUF house for 10 weeks.

That would be the whole appeal of the show for me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When is Punks next fight?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
CM Punk ‘confident’ he’ll fight in the UFC again

Sure thing buddy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

"This is what I do now," Punk said he told the UFC boss. "This is what I'm going to do now. If i can do it for you, awesome. If not, I'll still bug you for tickets to your show."

Dude's not being super unrealistic. He wants to fight, if UFC doesn't have a fight for him, he'll go work in a high school gym somewhere or whatever, because he has gently caress-you levels of money in the bank and can afford to do whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Will CM Punk fight before America gets a new President? Place your bets now!

• Locked thread