Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Luffy gets captured, and there in front of Big Mam and a thousand of her suboridinates...

Follow me on this one.

Challenges her to a Davy Back Fight.

Sanji, Pudding, Jinbe. It'll never happen but holy poo poo I wish it would. A male protagonist can't physically beat a female antagonist in a shonen so he's going to pull it off some crafty way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dogs named Charlie posted:

Luffy gets captured, and there in front of Big Mam and a thousand of her suboridinates...

Follow me on this one.

Sanji, Pudding, Jinbe. It'll never happen but holy poo poo I wish it would. A male protagonist can't physically beat a female antagonist in a shonen so he's going to pull it off some crafty way.

I dunno, Big Mom looks pretttttttty similar to Alvida....

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A male protagonist can't physically beat a female antagonist in a shonen so he's going to pull it off some crafty way.

It doesn't count if the woman is ugly

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Good points, but at least I can still hope Brook will be important to this saga. Otherwise I can't see how Luffy would be able to get close to Big Mam without getting his life stolen.

It's haki, haki will protect him and keep his delicious lifeforce inside his body.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Good points, but at least I can still hope Brook will be important to this saga. Otherwise I can't see how Luffy would be able to get close to Big Mam without getting his life stolen.

It's haki, haki will protect him and keep his delicious lifeforce inside his body.

Big Mom can only take people's life force if they feel fear. Luffy should be fine.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
If anyone's delicious soul should be concerned it's Sanji

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I want to know what Zou did to get exiled to forever-walking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Taunted Elephant Jesus at the wrong time?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Follow me on this one.

Yes

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

World nobles.

You can pretty much point at something mysterious in OP and mumble something about nobles and void centuries and youd be right

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My prediction: big fight ensures and Mom gets out on the ropes, but she threatens total war against the Strawhats and their allies and families. In response, Sanji marries Pudding, but does so as a Strawhat instead of as a Vinsmoke. Luffy doesn't accept being subordinate, but it's enough to calm things down

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Xelkelvos posted:

My prediction: big fight ensures and Mom gets out on the ropes, but she threatens total war against the Strawhats and their allies and families. In response, Sanji marries Pudding, but does so as a Strawhat instead of as a Vinsmoke. Luffy doesn't accept being subordinate, but it's enough to calm things down

The big problem with this theory is that it assumes Luffy would be able to diplomatically end a conflict with somebody he doesn't like

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm actually really curious about how this will play out, because I think you might be overestimating Luffy's intelligence. Especially when he's angry and hungry.

Fighting is the one thing I would expect Luffy to be a savant at regardless of any extenuating circumstances, so he'll almost certainly be able to tell whether Sanji is being serious or not, and that'll be the main driver to inform him of Sanji's current situation. He won't give up on Sanji, but he also won't beat the poo poo out of him knowing that something is going on behind the scenes to make him act this way.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like the pacing in this arc has improved. Is that just me?

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 23, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

nami will probably help fight her because weather is her whole thing

You know if Zeus and Prometheus are something that is capable of being stolen, then Nami is going to steal them. Their names are kind of a spoiler that some sort of power theft is going to occur.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Every time I think about how long Zou's legs must be I crack up. Crazy stilt-legged giant elephant.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it just floats at a certain point. Because magic

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Green Intern posted:

Every time I think about how long Zou's legs must be I crack up. Crazy stilt-legged giant elephant.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Green Intern posted:

Or it specifically walks in a relatively shallow part of the ocean.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roth posted:

I feel like the pacing arc has improved. Is that just me?

I don't think you're wrong. We were in Dressrosa for an absurd amount of time but things had been back to moving at a nice clip again for a good while.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RatHat posted:

Or it specifically walks in a relatively shallow part of the ocean.

Or maybe he walks on the back of a mer-elephant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

The big problem with this theory is that it assumes Luffy would be able to diplomatically end a conflict with somebody he doesn't like

It'd all be Sanji and Nami doing the negotiating and thinking. All they have to do is get Luffy to stop fighting and stirring poo poo up for a sec while the smart members of the crew do their thing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Xelkelvos posted:

no fuggin way also

i was thinking this too

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Green Intern posted:

actually zou is just so big, the sea seems shallow

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

actually zou is just so big, the sea seems shallow

i bet everything seems shallow to a millennia old elephant tbh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It'd all be Sanji and Nami doing the negotiating and thinking. All they have to do is get Luffy to stop fighting and stirring poo poo up for a sec while the smart members of the crew do their thing.

The tricky bit, of course, is having Sanji and Nami both be smart at the same place and same time. :v:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

i bet everything seems shallow to a millennia old elephant tbh

also, who knows how the one piece sea works, there may no continental shelf drops like on earth. maybe it was in a shallow part of the sea. Heck our oceans are complex, I don't get why a massively giant elephant has to be knee deep in water for it to be believable.

I HAVE DEEP ZOUPINIONS

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i do not think this arc is not gonna end in a beat down when we had condition poo poo happen on zou big mom killed her own drat son in a rage once her and luffy get poppin its hot thats that

at the VERY most pekmons or jinbei might fight/do something to clear the field more or take on the two weather fucks (maybe nami?) and then after big mom and luffy sanji might beat his family down (maybe pekmons and jinbei and pedro/brook come out for here?) or something and this will allow the vinsmokes at the reverie (but mad now)

ya'll on something if you dont think this is gonna end with baby mama drama

especially with all the constant reminders of how serious a drat yonko is and how zoro is already at frigging wano theres no drat way in hell luffy is leaving this island without big mom laid the gently caress low i dont think oda has the time to revisit something like this its the FOUR EMPEROR arc not the luffy makes deals and lets sanji marry and be a frigging big mom subordinate

edit: he also has a drat fleet himself now for later theres no drat reason he should let big mom stick around and after he takes her out he'll have his first controlled area and FI will be under his control (im calling someones blowing up the chest REALLY soon here)

and with her soul fruit i know the fights gonna bring up luffys morality and how he wont live to the end of the story

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 23, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Zou is standing on a giant turtle, come on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like to think that zou is wearing floaties on its feet

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm currently living in Japan and by some stroke of luck a local theatre is showing the One Piece Kabuki film. I went and watched it tonight and oh my god is that an experience. It's abridged and changed quite a bit- some sections are montaged with on-screen narration and other bits I think were just cut for time, since there were actor credits for characters who never appeared in the show. Pizarro from the BB Crew for instance.

Overall it was an absolute blast though. For those that don't know, it opens on the Sabaody Auction House and runs up to the scene where Jimbei reminds Luffy that he still has his crew. Zoro's actor was a personal favorite, as he did a competent job playing Zoro in the beginning then absolutely stole the show as Bon Clay in Impel Down. Sanji's actor also did a good job of being cool as gently caress as Sanji then really drat cool as Inazuma. I didn't know either of those actor connections during the show though, so while Zoro's came as an awesome shock, Sanji's was neat and also explained why Inazuma got some big dramatic moments during the escape. Also Ace's actor was appropriately distractingly handsome. Overall, wonderful, and I really hope they release an unabridged version sometime as I'd like to see it all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Xarbala posted:

I don't think you're wrong. We were in Dressrosa for an absurd amount of time but things had been back to moving at a nice clip again for a good while.

Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were 50 chapters apiece, Dressrosa alone was 100 chapters, then everything from the moment they set sail for Zou to right now has been a mere 43 chapters.

The series hasn't moved this fast in a loooooong-rear end time.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

That loving sucks it's abridged

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm currently living in Japan and by some stroke of luck a local theatre is showing the One Piece Kabuki film. I went and watched it tonight and oh my god is that an experience. It's abridged and changed quite a bit- some sections are montaged with on-screen narration and other bits I think were just cut for time, since there were actor credits for characters who never appeared in the show. Pizarro from the BB Crew for instance.

Overall it was an absolute blast though. For those that don't know, it opens on the Sabaody Auction House and runs up to the scene where Jimbei reminds Luffy that he still has his crew. Zoro's actor was a personal favorite, as he did a competent job playing Zoro in the beginning then absolutely stole the show as Bon Clay in Impel Down. Sanji's actor also did a good job of being cool as gently caress as Sanji then really drat cool as Inazuma. I didn't know either of those actor connections during the show though, so while Zoro's came as an awesome shock, Sanji's was neat and also explained why Inazuma got some big dramatic moments during the escape. Also Ace's actor was appropriately distractingly handsome. Overall, wonderful, and I really hope they release an unabridged version sometime as I'd like to see it all.

Sounds like a blast. I don't understand why they'd need to add characters though. One Piece's character list must be on par with the Simpsons cast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silver2195 posted:

Luffy didn't get paralyzed because he ran away, then left Gear 4, before his Haki and stamina were exhausted. Without Nami and the Homies helping, he couldn't have done that; Cracker would have chased him down.

That literally never happened, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. He leaves Gear 4 off-screen and starts consuming Cracker duplicates in his normal form while Nami's wetting them. The one time he leaves the fight area on page it's because Cracker blows him out of it, and that's before he enters Gear 4. And even then Nami doesn't cover for him, he just runs back in to the fight again.

Silver2195 posted:

Cracker doesn't risk his own body if he can help it, since he hates pain. He would have had the biscuit soldiers attack Luffy while he was out of Gear 4.

He hates pain but he attacked Luffy directly out of exasperation when he thought he had the advantage as is - so saying he'd just order his creations to attack Luffy in a what if scenario and would never attack directly himself is just being disingenuous.

Silver2195 posted:

When he defeats anyone stronger than Cracker (assuming no particular matchup/situational advantage), it will be because he got stronger since his fight against Cracker, not because he was somehow holding back against Cracker.

Let me put it this way: let's say the Cracker fight did put him under pressure, and Big Mam/Mom is his next fight (it might not be, but let's say it is for the sake of argument since you can substitute any opponent in, but at least we know her name) - what would he have learned in the Cracker fight to make him stronger? Because if we look at fights where he visibly improved by the next time he fights, it's possible to see what he learned and why. Like with Lucci, where he was battered and bruised and struggled to keep up Gear Second and lost his speed advantage against him because of it - so he became more adept at using Gear Second so as not to suffer that disadvantage again in future. Or against Moria, where he had to rely on Nightmare Luffy to help against him - so he came up with Gear Fourth as an always available version of that form. It becomes even more apparent looking at his flat out losses, like against Ao Kiji, which he came up with the Gears themselves after. Or Kuma, which made him realize his limitations and need to train. What did he learn against Cracker that will make him stronger for his next fight though? Because all I'm coming up with is either that he'll have increased his appetite (which doesn't have much combat applications this one fight aside) or that he'll be smarter and more like Nami. Which doesn't seem likely.

You're taking the idea that he could have won the fight other ways if pushed long enough as equivalent to saying he's holding back. Which isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that his doubts about Sanji (expressed again in the latest chapter) and his difficulty figuring out how to hit Cracker were his big obstacles in that fight, and they're not something that is going to be present in most fights, especially a probable end of arc fight against Big Mam/Mom. They are, for him at least, rather extraordinary circumstances, since normally he can deal with numbers by using his Conqueror's Haki, or simply mowing them down using things like the Kong Organ Gun - but that neither were effective in this one particular case since Cracker's biscuitmen weren't susceptible to haki and could be remade endlessly no matter how much he hit them. Luffy never even tried something as simple as flying using Gear Fourth and hitting Cracker from above that we see. Now, he may have tried it off-screen, and it's entirely probable Cracker has some kind of defense against that - but the fact we don't see Luffy try something so obvious is good indication that he didn't try everything before Nami gave him an apparent out and he didn't have to find his own way because of it.

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe he will, but he doesn't have Awakening or Gear Fifth yet.

I wasn't actually saying he knew how to put himself in Gear 5 and how to awaken yet - just that it seemed pretty inevitable that it would come up in this arc after how the Doflamingo fight went.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm not a fan of awakening due to how long it took for it to be introduced into the story. Haki was hinted at numerous times since the very beginning, whereas we didn't hear anything about Awakening since its brief mention in Impel Down, and an even briefer mention in Dressrosa. It feels more like something that has been added late in the story's development, and it's going to be harder to explain why it has never been mentioned before when we have seen so many DF users in the past.

Doflamingo was flat out using it to attack Luffy by bending the environment to his will. I'd hardly call that a brief mention.

anime was right posted:

luffy probably has gear 5 already based on panels before doffy's finishing blow, and awakening will be his final powerup.

I don't recall any such implication in those pages. What was said/done to imply he had another form? Not that I'm doubting you mind, I just don't recall anything and could have easily missed it.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. They're both weakened then, in that case.

Luffy's just eaten a load of food and had a short nap. Those are two of his best heal up methods and normally fix him up from any kind of physical weakness.

LupusAter posted:

As we learn more about Big Mom, I feel less and less convinced that she's going to be the kind of threat that gets dealt with by Luffy's fists. Her powers are incredibly well suited to amass and mantain her huge empire and territory, but they don't seem suited to an individual, close and personal fight, with the caveat that this is One Piece and any power can be used in a fight.

I feel like people have said this about numerous antagonists over the course of the manga, like Moria and Doflamingo - and while their powers didn't seem to have enough direct combat application at the time, when it came to the climax, they all became heavy hitters. I don't see Big Mam/Mom being any different.

Xelkelvos posted:

They also have to convince him to accept it. Which isn't likely, since while he's willing to bow to other members of his crew in dealing with things like navigation, he's been willing to put his foot down on what they're doing and made the decision to do seemingly suicidal stuff despite Nami, Usopp etc. objecting before.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

That literally never happened, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. He leaves Gear 4 off-screen and starts consuming Cracker duplicates in his normal form while Nami's wetting them. The one time he leaves the fight area on page it's because Cracker blows him out of it, and that's before he enters Gear 4. And even then Nami doesn't cover for him, he just runs back in to the fight again.

The exact details are vague since so much of the fight is offscreen, but Cracker specifically mentioned that Luffy was taking time to rest.

quote:

He hates pain but he attacked Luffy directly out of exasperation when he thought he had the advantage as is - so saying he'd just order his creations to attack Luffy in a what if scenario and would never attack directly himself is just being disingenuous.

In this what-if scenario he wouldn't be so exasperated to begin with, because he wouldn't have spent 11 hours fighting Luffy.

quote:

Let me put it this way: let's say the Cracker fight did put him under pressure, and Big Mam/Mom is his next fight (it might not be, but let's say it is for the sake of argument since you can substitute any opponent in, but at least we know her name) - what would he have learned in the Cracker fight to make him stronger? Because if we look at fights where he visibly improved by the next time he fights, it's possible to see what he learned and why. Like with Lucci, where he was battered and bruised and struggled to keep up Gear Second and lost his speed advantage against him because of it - so he became more adept at using Gear Second so as not to suffer that disadvantage again in future. Or against Moria, where he had to rely on Nightmare Luffy to help against him - so he came up with Gear Fourth as an always available version of that form. It becomes even more apparent looking at his flat out losses, like against Ao Kiji, which he came up with the Gears themselves after. Or Kuma, which made him realize his limitations and need to train. What did he learn against Cracker that will make him stronger for his next fight though? Because all I'm coming up with is either that he'll have increased his appetite (which doesn't have much combat applications this one fight aside) or that he'll be smarter and more like Nami. Which doesn't seem likely.

I don't think he learned anything in this particular fight to make him stronger. Obviously he won't get a powerup before his very next fight, but he'll probably be stronger in the next arc, after he's had a bit more time to develop Gear 5 or whatever.

quote:

You're taking the idea that he could have won the fight other ways if pushed long enough as equivalent to saying he's holding back. Which isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that his doubts about Sanji (expressed again in the latest chapter) and his difficulty figuring out how to hit Cracker were his big obstacles in that fight, and they're not something that is going to be present in most fights, especially a probable end of arc fight against Big Mam/Mom. They are, for him at least, rather extraordinary circumstances, since normally he can deal with numbers by using his Conqueror's Haki, or simply mowing them down using things like the Kong Organ Gun - but that neither were effective in this one particular case since Cracker's biscuitmen weren't susceptible to haki and could be remade endlessly no matter how much he hit them. Luffy never even tried something as simple as flying using Gear Fourth and hitting Cracker from above that we see. Now, he may have tried it off-screen, and it's entirely probable Cracker has some kind of defense against that - but the fact we don't see Luffy try something so obvious is good indication that he didn't try everything before Nami gave him an apparent out and he didn't have to find his own way because of it.

What doubts about Sanji? Luffy knows Sanji wouldn't leave the Straw Hats, and his actual worries about Sanji's situation are reasons to resolve the fight faster, not slower.

Cracker seems to be able to telekinetically float the biscuits around, so attacking from above wouldn't accomplish anything.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Follow me on this one.

Big Mom is a fat monster thing, so her gender won't matter.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Actually for the first couple chapters Luffy had exclusively left punching to women and sea monsters.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sub Harrison posted:

Actually for the first couple chapters Luffy had exclusively left punching to women and sea monsters.

i remember alvida but who was the woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Coby