Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really want to like Ten Desires, in a large part because it has Youmu with an awesome and interesting shot type.

But the game itself is pretty blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I dunno I think of Ten Desires as just a refinement of UFO's systems, with regards to pieces popping out of enemies along the stage that you have to collect, but without the annoying aspect in UFO of having to keep track of things bouncing around and not running into something you don't want while trying to collect something before it changes colors.

Both rely too much on stage memorization for my taste though so i don't consider either of them to be as good as other games. DDC by comparison has probably my favorite scoring/resource system out of all of them, it's really slick and intuitive compared to both UFO and TD.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

This also brings up another thing, that I'm not sure what EX boss I should start with. I'm thinking either Raiko or Suwako? I beat most of them once upon a time, like literally about 6 years ago, but this is the first time since then I've actually felt halfway decent at the games since I wanted to clear everything with everyone.

I think Suwako is generally agreed to the be one of the easiest, if not the easiest, extra boss. Raiko I personally feel is a pretty tricky extra boss, though.

I find Ran/Yukari and Mokou to be pretty easy, too, largely because PCB has that cherry border thing going and IN extra showers you in extra lives. Nue also has pretty simple patterns for an extra boss for the most part, but her stage tends to give me a lot of trouble so I don't always get to Nue with more lives than I started with.

Koishi, Mamizou and Raiko are pretty middling extra bosses. Marisa gives me more trouble than them, but still not nearly as much Frandle and Hecatia, those two I'm just happy I've managed to beat once or twice.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Both rely too much on stage memorization for my taste though so i don't consider either of them to be as good as other games. DDC by comparison has probably my favorite scoring/resource system out of all of them, it's really slick and intuitive compared to both UFO and TD.

That's the number 1 complaint I always hear for UFO, but personally I never found that to be truer than it is for other games in the series. Shmups are already 90% memorisation-based, if you play one a couple of times you automatically end up mapping a route in your mind. At least that's the case for me, less conscious memorisation and more muscle memory, so UFO locations weren't really a bother to me.

Edit: UFO was also the newest game when I got into Touhou and the one I played the most, so you know that has a lot to do with it being my favorite, too.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Wow, maybe muscle memory holds up stronger than I thought, got all the way to Suwako's (first?) survival card on my very first try, if I didn't lose a couple bad lives (one on the stage, one on Iron Rings) i probably would have had a real shot at it.

e: though to be fair Reimu A seems like she trivializes a lot of the stage portion, with her homing, probably wouldn't have done as well as anyone else.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 3, 2016

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Wow, maybe muscle memory holds up stronger than I thought, got all the way to Suwako's (first?) survival card on my very first try, if I didn't lose a couple bad lives (one on the stage, one on Iron Rings) i probably would have had a real shot at it.

e: though to be fair Reimu A seems like she trivializes a lot of the stage portion, with her homing, probably wouldn't have done as well as anyone else.

Y'all!!!!

And with lives to spare too

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Homing generally has a low enough damage output that it's more of a liability than anything. Being able to finish most patterns a good five seconds earlier makes a huge difference.

Also, congratulations.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Not bad for a second-ever try against Koishi, but, ah,

ah,

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

now beat an extra boss and while they're currently busy exploding run into a bullet and lose your last life, that's always fun when it happens

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

a cartoon duck posted:

now beat an extra boss and while they're currently busy exploding run into a bullet and lose your last life, that's always fun when it happens

i've played enough double spoiler where my game over screen is in the middle of the photo frame thanks

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
How big is the human village supposed to be? It supports multiple bars/restaurants, some people are still strangers, but it has a school class size of ~7. Maybe it's just 1000-2000 people and only the elites get an education?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

but it has a school class size of ~7.

You gotta take into account that at any given moment, a large portion of the students are out of class recovering from getting headbutted.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's as big as the plot needs it to be really.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think ZUN properly understands what life in a very small town would be like.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Like half of Japan is rural small towns.

Maybe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WaHH 33 final, in which Kasen is suspicious so Yukari feels compelled to be counter-suspicious.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'm way behind on my CD backlog so even though this album is two years old I'm listening to it for the first time and I'm kicking myself for it because it's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iATU_EnByH8

(I hate how they use the cover art of a completely different album though but w/e youtube lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6iAcPRRNCE

(I can't believe they would defile this with the label of "East Listening" ughhhhhh)

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 4, 2016

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Well, 1cc'd my first game on Hard, it was MoF and I did it by the skin of my teeth but it was after a couple really stupid deaths on Aya. I did better life and bomb-wise against Kanako than I did against Aya, somehow. I'll probably do IN next, since I'm pretty close to cracking IN's extra as well, I just need to figure out how half of Mokou's cards work because they make no drat sense to me. I've made it to her last spell a couple times though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WaHH 34 on batoto. In which Reimu is maybe depressed, or maybe just a nerd.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It just occurred to me that pulling all-nighters would be a lot harder in Gensokyo thanks to having to constantly keep your candles/lamps/whatever topped up.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

ĄDios mio!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Touhou has declined

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Why is Aya asking Marisa to write articles

Wasn't there a thing where Crow Tengu society is filled to the gills with hack journalists flooding the city with opinion pieces?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I actually had a chance to talk with the devs behind that game at Reitaisai last weekend. Turns out they handled the preliminary translation, most of which made it into the Asian release, and then when NISA picked it up, they supposedly cleaned up all of the stranger phrasing. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just not given the original Japanese text (for whatever reason), but from what I've seen of their recent output...

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Yeah that definitely reads like a mistranslation to me, though I don't even know what game that is so my opinion is pretty worthless.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Sanbondo lives!

Looks like they put FMW2 and it's OST up for digital purchase.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

z0glin Warchief posted:

Yeah that definitely reads like a mistranslation to me, though I don't even know what game that is so my opinion is pretty worthless.
Genso Rondou
[/U

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pureauthor posted:

It just occurred to me that pulling all-nighters would be a lot harder in Gensokyo thanks to having to constantly keep your candles/lamps/whatever topped up.
Well, some religious groups like the Eastern Orthodox have practiced all-night vigils for centuries, using candles or oil lamps. It seems like oil lamps especially can last a good while; it just depends on the size of the lamp and the amount of oil.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

amuayse posted:

Genso Rondou
[/U

That explains all the horns in the SWR soundtrack.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Maybe NISA thought her saying her own name as an exclamation was too cheesy, but they still wanted to keep it similar? Or something??

So many questions, but considering they've been translating 万 (marker for 10,000) as K (marker for 1,000) in recent Disgaea games...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's not hard to find examples of things NISA have actually hosed up, but that's something they do right. They don't just substitute K for 万 and M for 億; they properly reformat the display to count by thousands and millions instead of ten thousands and hundred millions.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
These screenshots say otherwise.

https://twitter.com/sikieiki/status/788441570668318720
https://twitter.com/sikieiki/status/788444589707431936

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Ha, I forgot about the stats screen. Yeah, that's super weird. They made sure to put in the extra zeroes so the numbers are still "correct", but it's absolutely impossible to read. I thought you were talking about the way it shows damage numbers in fights, which does work how I described, and is so natural that you don't even notice anything's been changed.

There are at least two other things wrong in that screenshot, too. Can you spot them all, reader?

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 22, 2016

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Ha, I forgot about the stats screen. Yeah, that's super weird. They made sure to put in the extra zeroes so the numbers are still "correct", but it's absolutely impossible to read. I thought you were talking about the way it shows damage numbers in fights, which does work how I described, and is so natural that you don't even notice anything's been changed.

There are at least two other things wrong in that screenshot, too. Can you spot them all, reader?

Are they: "時間 as 'time' instead of 'hours'," despite being right next to minutes and seconds, and what is apparently all users being "another user"?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WaHH 35 final draft up on batoto! In which Kasen and Yukari make certain things clear.

And with this, we're officially caught up with WaHH. :toot: Well, there was supposed to be another chapter that came out this month, but there seems to be some confusion because there was also a special edition of the magazine.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Pretty intense how that single chapter made me super curious about where WaHH goes next, because that was a surprisingly big plot bomb to just sorta drop in there.

Edit: also congratulations on making it so we're finally caught on up the official mangas. Excellent work!!

mdct fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 24, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Edit: also congratulations on making it so we're finally caught on up the official mangas. Excellent work!!

Yeah, you're doing god's work, Clarste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I like how it was obvious from literally before the first chapter even came out that Kasen was going to be a secret Oni, but then the real twist was she was one of the Youkai Sages.

It even retroactively explains why Yukari would be friends with Suika.