Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My attempt at some humor fell flat, it seems.

The miata goes into winter storage next week, so I've been using it as much as I can before then, as it only recently was registered over here in the communist hellhole called Norway. Don't ask me how much it cost to get norwegian plates on it, I get ill just thinking about it.

Volkerball posted:

They get better and cheaper all the time though. We aren't there yet, but it won't be too long until really good motion simulators are getting mass produced. We're already seeing the start of it with things like the racing cube. Then you add vr to that and sim racing has a lot of potential when it comes to realism in the future.

I really want one of those motion setups, a not so fancy one isn't that costly. Already got a Rift and a G27 wheel so a motion setup would be the finishing touch for a basic setup. Guess I should upgrade to a direct drive wheel before going for a motion simulator tho.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The idea that you consider motion part of a 'basic' setup is terrifying.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reminder:

Next Event:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
https://www.twitch.tv/sa_ohsh im gonna stream this

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Jehde posted:

Or a Lancia 037 around Finland.

This kills the driver.

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
How many races are we going to do in the Boxer Cup series? Having the entire field reverse back up the start/finish straight to find their grid positions after the formation lap was a good opening to the series.

BTW how are people calculating fuel for the races? The in-game hud and the garage screen give me wildly different lap calculations. I always end up with a few laps extra because I don't know what to trust.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Brake pedal feel is such a crucial part of driving that it hadn't even occurred to me that pedals wouldn't have any way to feedback when I was buying my first wheel. It is also why I can't see any point whatsoever in upgrading the lovely pedals that came with my thrustmaster setup. No consumer grade pedals appear to simulate bite point so why do people spend any money on pedals ?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 24, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Evrim posted:

How many races are we going to do in the Boxer Cup series? Having the entire field reverse back up the start/finish straight to find their grid positions after the formation lap was a good opening to the series.

BTW how are people calculating fuel for the races? The in-game hud and the garage screen give me wildly different lap calculations. I always end up with a few laps extra because I don't know what to trust.

The HUD estimate is the more solid one because it's based on your average fuel consumption per lap, while the garage is a very conservative estimate.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Evrim posted:

I'm thinking 8 races. Next week we'll try a Reiza track to see if that improves the curb situation :)

How about Interlagos? Chicane or no chicane?

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
I remember Montreal also had some super-slippy curbs when we were there so it might not just be Patrick's track mods. Perhaps Interlagos w/ chicane since we already drove the normal layout not so long ago? Is everybody here getting the Brit DLC with the 3 new tracks?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Qmass posted:

Brake pedal feel is such a crucial part of driving that it hadn't even occurred to me that pedals wouldn't have any way to feedback when I was buying my first wheel. It is also why I can't see any point whatsoever in upgrading the lovely pedals that came with my thrustmaster setup. No consumer grade pedals appear to simulate bite point so why do people spend any money on pedals ?

Load cells give you much more control. Software such as FanaLEDs will kick in wheel or pedal rumble as you approach lockup, which is the most feedback that is currently available other than your wheel giving less resistance when you start to understeer if the fronts are asked to do too much.

A pressure-based pedal gives so much more control than a potentiometer pedal - I can heel-toe far more consistently with my ClubSport v3s, even though their travel is very short. A real brake pedal is pressure-based, so it feels much more natural than a pedal that measures distance instead of pressure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The rumble on the clubsports is pretty good for that. It doesn't feel particularly realistic, but it's something. I wonder if you could use a fancy magnetic damper to simulate that.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

Evrim posted:

I remember Montreal also had some super-slippy curbs when we were there so it might not just be Patrick's track mods. Perhaps Interlagos w/ chicane since we already drove the normal layout not so long ago? Is everybody here getting the Brit DLC with the 3 new tracks?

Had some extra steam credit so I picked up the Season Pass. The Formula Trainers and the Caterham are pretty fun to drive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Caterham 360R and the MCR are currently my favourite cars in sim racing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The AC Porsche pack includes a LMP 919. I'm so happy!
Now it just needs to come out

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Science Goy posted:

Load cells give you much more control. Software such as FanaLEDs will kick in wheel or pedal rumble as you approach lockup, which is the most feedback that is currently available other than your wheel giving less resistance when you start to understeer if the fronts are asked to do too much.

A pressure-based pedal gives so much more control than a potentiometer pedal - I can heel-toe far more consistently with my ClubSport v3s, even though their travel is very short. A real brake pedal is pressure-based, so it feels much more natural than a pedal that measures distance instead of pressure.

I think some of the high-end simulators (think poo poo that costs 55k+, used to train for series during off-season) have actual hydraulic systems for the brake and clutch with proper pedal feedback, as well as motion systems built into the cockpit. A load cell and some pedal vibration is probably the best you're gonna get with the funds of a mere mortal though.

I used one of the VirtualGT sims at a demo this year, and they're pretty good about brake and clutch feel, you can feel precisely where the clutch bite point is and when and how hard your wheels have locked up.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 24, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The app I use with iRacing, or did, called ShiftTone I was using to give me a beep in my ear at the perfect shift point. Another thing it can do is give you a different beep when your brake is at 75% or 80% or whatever, so you brake the same every time. That helps with potentiometer pedals if you want to be super precise, but I'm at the point with iRacing that seeing my front wheels (open wheelers only) lock triggers the right response from me.

I spent hours this weekend totally breaking down and rebuildng my potentiometer pedals and you can get pretty drat competent with them if they're working well and you put in the time.

Think of yourself as a F1 middle-fielder, using a cheaper setup with less tech but sometimes being up to get right up there among the aliens.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

no bones about it posted:

I think some of the high-end simulators (think poo poo that costs 55k+, used to train for series during off-season) have actual hydraulic systems for the brake and clutch with proper pedal feedback, as well as motion systems built into the cockpit. A load cell and some pedal vibration is probably the best you're gonna get with the funds of a mere mortal though.

I used one of the VirtualGT sims at a demo this year, and they're pretty good about brake and clutch feel, you can feel precisely where the clutch bite point is and when and how hard your wheels have locked up.

I've thought a few times about how it might feel to get a real junkyard trans, strap an electric motor to it to spin it, and rig that with the appropriate switches and pots. Use an actual legitimate clutch assembly operating an actual clutch.

The two outstanding things I'm not really sure of on that are how powerful of an electric motor I'd need to be able to make it rev realistically and how disorienting it would feel to have ratios that obviously don't match (unless they did by chance). I think the second problem might be a fatal flaw with the idea.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wolrah posted:

I've thought a few times about how it might feel to get a real junkyard trans, strap an electric motor to it to spin it, and rig that with the appropriate switches and pots. Use an actual legitimate clutch assembly operating an actual clutch.

The two outstanding things I'm not really sure of on that are how powerful of an electric motor I'd need to be able to make it rev realistically and how disorienting it would feel to have ratios that obviously don't match (unless they did by chance). I think the second problem might be a fatal flaw with the idea.

That sounds like some AI level poo poo there, both awesome and horrifically dangerous

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Science Goy posted:

I never knew this existed. :iia: Does the rumble feature work on the new fanatec pedals (CSL I think)? I was casually looking at upgrading my setup (G27) but I think a Rift would be a better upgrade for the money.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

I never knew this existed. :iia: Does the rumble feature work on the new fanatec pedals (CSL I think)? I was casually looking at upgrading my setup (G27) but I think a Rift would be a better upgrade for the money.

As a rift owner and a Thrustmaster T300RS owner, Rift is nice but a good set of pedals are gonna make a hell of a lot more difference in your times. Right now i would rate VR as a "neat" thing to have for sim racing, its cool but a major pain in the rear end if you have to reach for any keys or anything, and it gobbles up 3 USB3 ports and an HDMI port.

Also T3PA pedals piss me off so much sometimes because of the lack of load cell. The stupid little rubber cone mod sucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

As a rift owner and a Thrustmaster T300RS owner, Rift is nice but a good set of pedals are gonna make a hell of a lot more difference in your times. Right now i would rate VR as a "neat" thing to have for sim racing, its cool but a major pain in the rear end if you have to reach for any keys or anything, and it gobbles up 3 USB3 ports and an HDMI port.

Also T3PA pedals piss me off so much sometimes because of the lack of load cell. The stupid little rubber cone mod sucks.

The Rift only needs 2 USB3 and 1 USB2. Though it's possible to get away with just 1 USB3 and 1 USB2. The third USB2 port is for the Xbone wireless receiver which you don't need to plug in to use with sim racing.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 25, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so I should or shoudn't upgrade to the T3PA Pros? That's my current debate with myself.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Fanatec CSL pedals do not have rumble motors on the pedals. I love the idea of the motors, but the brake motor for the CSPv3 is not as powerful as I would prefer. I might mess around with mine and see if I can add more mass to it, so there is a more noticeable vibration, but I haven't bothered yet. The main benefit is definitely the load cell. CSPv3 and CSL Elites both have load cells (you need to order the upgraded CSLs, not the basic 2 pedal version) but the ClubSports have more fine control over adjustments.

As long as FedEx is on time, I should be able to use my CSL wheel base for the iRacing Kamel GT broadcast on Thursday night :woop:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The motors are crap and I ripped them out of my pedals and threw them away. I threw them away because I couldn't find any way to get them out easily without destroying them. the wires are routed through a part of the pedals that the connector can't fit through. I didn't want to take everything apart just to get rid of the motors so I cut the wires.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is there any benefit to ripping them out to just not using them?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I unscrewed them to change the pedals around and never plugged them back in. Eventually one of the wires broke off the motor so I said "gently caress it" and ripped them out entirely. If you leave them in, you have to screw them back in if you want to change the pedals.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

That sounds like some AI level poo poo there, both awesome and horrifically dangerous

How so on the dangerous part? If I put a cover over the output shaft there'll be no exposed moving parts. The only real danger I could see would be a flywheel explosion, but even that should be significantly less likely than it would be in a real car because there's no actual significant load being put on things. The way it would work I'd want the lightest flywheel I could get anyways (since it'd be trying to track the game, which would be simulating the flywheel on its own), so the amount of energy available would be minimized.

That said aside from the gear ratio thing another semi-obvious problem I've come up with as I've thought more about it is that almost everything I drive in racing games has six gears, and almost every trans I'd be able to get cheap from a junkyard is going to have five at best. AFAIK all of the six speeds produced in the '90s are fairly desirable for swaps. Obviously there's pretty much no chance of getting a 7 speed, but there are only like 3 cars with 7 speed manuals (C7, 991, and I think Aston Martin has one now) so it doesn't matter that much.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Good info and perspective. Here's my other odd reasoning for a Rift...I can get rid of having 3 goddamn screens on my desk. Also when the "monitor" is strapped to my face, my sim cockpit can be a little further away from my desk/around the corner so I don't have to keep reconfiguring it when I play sim games vs. a normal PC game. It's annoying to get the monitor angle setup right, wheel my cockpit into place, mount the wheel to my desk (which is annoying because the FFB shakes the desk/monitors, too), then run all the wires for it.

Right now this is my setup with the cockpit in front of the monitors, but this would be nice to have 2 setups to easily switch back and forth.

As it is now I rarely play other PC games because I'm too lazy to take 2 minutes and move all that poo poo. lol. Maybe I just need a better designed cockpit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The first AC Porsche pack is out now for £6, or the season pass is £13. There's also some free stuff in the latest update which is very vaguely described in the Steam notes but mostly historic Silverstone.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

The first AC Porsche pack is out now for £6, or the season pass is £13. There's also some free stuff in the latest update which is very vaguely described in the Steam notes but mostly historic Silverstone.

The LMP is in pack 2?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

The LMP is in pack 2?

Yeah, pack 2 looks like the one to get if you're only gonna get one. The 911 GT3, Cayman GT4 and 2015 919. Then the 2016 919 is in pack 3. I tried the new free car on historic Silverstone. It's alright but another modern car that only has a decorative 2nd gear.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 25, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Good info and perspective. Here's my other odd reasoning for a Rift...I can get rid of having 3 goddamn screens on my desk. Also when the "monitor" is strapped to my face, my sim cockpit can be a little further away from my desk/around the corner so I don't have to keep reconfiguring it when I play sim games vs. a normal PC game. It's annoying to get the monitor angle setup right, wheel my cockpit into place, mount the wheel to my desk (which is annoying because the FFB shakes the desk/monitors, too), then run all the wires for it.

Right now this is my setup with the cockpit in front of the monitors, but this would be nice to have 2 setups to easily switch back and forth.

As it is now I rarely play other PC games because I'm too lazy to take 2 minutes and move all that poo poo. lol. Maybe I just need a better designed cockpit.

Yeah maybe my perspective on the rift is skewed by my having glasses, as well as having the bare minimum of available space to use the thing, so I might be a bit negative. When it clicks, it loving clicks though, if you have a reasonable cockpit amd room for a rift, it can definitely suck you in and make you feel like you're driving the car. I've felt that a couple times and all I've got is a shameful office chair. If I had one of those obutto cockpits or whatever and a H pattern shifter, I'd be set.

tater_salad posted:

so I should or shoudn't upgrade to the T3PA Pros? That's my current debate with myself.

Nah the T3PAs are good if you can mount them in a cockpit setting, but the cone mod makes the brake extremely stiff and very short travelling. It does get a progressive resistance with the cone mod but it's nowhere near a real brake feel, but you probably won't get close to that without spending like 600 bucks on pedals alone. They're miles ahead of whatever dogshit pedals you have right now though.
basically here's the hierarchy of pedals:

Dogshit 2 pedal system > dogshit 3 pedal system (G27) > Thrustmaster TH3PA/Logitech G29 pedals > $$$Fanatec stuff$$$

They're ok if you adjust them right, and with the cone mod you DEFINITELY need to mount them to something substantial because they will immediately decide to walk away when you brake if they're just on your floor.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dogshit 2 pedal system > dogshit 3 pedal system (G27) > Thrustmaster TH3PA/Logitech G29 pedals > $$$Fanatec stuff$$$

Aren't the G29 pedals the same as G27? Definitely not a load cell brake.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Aren't the G29 pedals the same as G27? Definitely not a load cell brake.

They have a progressive brake, it's not a load cell though, you have to move up to Fanatecs for load cells, or buy a mod kit and void your warranty for hacking your pedals apart.

Alternatively, if you already have T3PA Pros,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMpsCJbxVZo

(just buy Clubsports, they're cheaper than T3PA Pros and this loadcell kit combined by 30 USD)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 25, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This kinda fits here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a thread for it as well

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So... I think I hate how every single Porsche in the first AC pack drives :(

Edit: It's late and I'm somewhat drunk so this is a snap judgement, but the ones I care about feel difficult but not exciting, if that makes sense.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 25, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GhostDog posted:

So... I think I hate how every single Porsche in the first AC pack drives :(

Edit: It's late and I'm somewhat drunk so this is a snap judgement, but the ones I care about feel difficult but not exciting, if that makes sense.

Is the game still using tyre model 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Is the game still using tyre model 10?

Currently I think it's all DLC cars since the Red Pack and the GT3 cars that are TM10, and TM10 sucks. I spent 20 minutes throwing the Skyline from the Japan pack around Silverstone and it felt way more active than any of the TM10 cars. Somehow they made the GT3 field less interesting to drive.