Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Anidav posted:

Make a sequel to the snes mouse and yes.

I would not play it in a house

I would not play it with a mouse

But I would play it on the roof

Cause all my friends are hipster goofs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Because Nintendo wants to win back gamer cred by focusing on Zelda and N64 nostalgia

I am telling you there is an untapped "the IT Support Nephew" demographics. How many times you will want to eat lasagnas while reimstalling xp on that pc anyway? Time you could spend on switch mario at parties?

Also there is no shame in winning back the people who left after n64.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
you are an edge case. normal people dont eat lasagna at a desk. you do realize that right?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Already preordered mine because I want to shoot squids in bed.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

how many times do you really need to play the first 90 minutes of earthbound. just let them go man. there are new games

that's so goddamn true

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

HyperPuma posted:

you are an edge case. normal people dont eat lasagna at a desk. you do realize that right?

Of course not you idiot you need to eat them in the big impromptu table your grandpa put under the porch while you listen to your uncle dirty jokes he keeps reciclyng and your aunt asks when you are going to kick that guy out of your apartment and marry a good girl. All because you fixed grandma's PC otherwise she would not be able to comment on your vacation pictures on Facebook.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

Already preordered mine because I want to shoot squids in bed.

Open your apple on the brazzers website (at home not at work, unless you are like hyperpuma and have a bed at work) and I assure you will be able to shoot squids without the need of new electronics.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
mamma mia!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the reason i think Switch has the X2 is because the Shield 2 tablet that NVidia was working on was cancelled in August, the timing is just way too close to be a coincidence

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

HyperPuma posted:

mamma mia!

My reaction to the Switch reveal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I really hope the Switch has gamecube Virtual Console emulation, since they'll be too busy doing enhanced Wii U ports to do HD Gamecube remasters

portable Viewtiful Joe please

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Evil Canadian posted:

Is the switch gonna force me to rebuy all my VC games again :argh:
I think this is the only reason Nintendo is still releasing new consoles.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I am very disappointed with the amount of funny Switch pictures itt. I'm sure the internet has produced more than what has been posted here. Please fetch me some "LOLs"

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

the reason i think Switch has the X2 is because the Shield 2 tablet that NVidia was working on was cancelled in August, the timing is just way too close to be a coincidence

The rumors were that the Shield 2 Tablet was housing an X1, but either way it's obvious that it would have been in direct competition with the Switch and they seem to be betting on that instead. My thought as to why it's probably an X2 in the Switch is that Nvidia is really looking to show off just how powerful their mobile chips have gotten over the last few years, and by showcasing it in the Switch they'll have lots of people looking to get in on the action.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

youcallthatatwist posted:

Guys when they say things like "will not replace X" it means they're not going to immediately discontinue X, like any good business. The Switch will phase out Wii U and 3DS eventually, as long as it doesn't flop.

i remember that nintendo line when they announced the DS and people were wondering if they would still make a gameboy line. its total corporate speak.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

afeelgoodpoop posted:

i remember that nintendo line when they announced the DS and people were wondering if they would still make a gameboy line. its total corporate speak.

Well it is and it isn't. Had the DS flopped hard, you'd have probably seen the next console with 'Game Boy' branding.

In this case, the Wii brand is already dead so if Switch dies then the next console will probably be neither Switch nor Wii.

If there is one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can envision a future where Nintendo only makes third-party games and accessories and cheap-ish handhelds dedicated to Pokemon / Pokemon go. I hope the Switch staves off that future, however.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

I really hope the Switch has gamecube Virtual Console emulation, since they'll be too busy doing enhanced Wii U ports to do HD Gamecube remasters

portable Viewtiful Joe please

One of my big hopes for the Switch is that it'll be a good emulation system. My Vita has been really awesome for that (I think I've played more Trails in the Sky, Tactics Ogre, and SotN than any Vita titles excluding P4:G), and I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube so there are a few titles (like Xenoblade) I'm really keen to play.

Nintendo please do an HD remaster of the Gamecube enhanced port of the Dreamcast's Skies of Arcadia. And then a new one. The time is right. its always been right

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You could try nintendont on the Wii u, it upscales GameCube games quite well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Remember Super Game Boy? The switch is kind of the conclusion of that concept.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wicka posted:

it shouldn't take any appreciable amount of self-awareness to realize that you're an edge case and most people dont want to use their PC exclusively connected to their TV

I've tried making TV-only PCs since the mid 2000's, the first one being an Optiplex SFF thingy that I connected to a CRT through S-video and had a pretty functional gamepad->mouse+keyboard shortcuts mapper

Making a PC that works gamepad only is just about as simple today as it was then, you'll never get something that feels anything like a console. And who the gently caress can read/write 1080p+ text from their couch? Maybe with a very small living room or a very big TV I guess, but it'll suck something fierce

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I know lots of people with full size towers plugged into their TVs. They do most of the reading on their phones or at work.

The home PC is for console ports, maybe at facebook or photos on reddit and playing music and movies.

I'd estimate that it's a fuckton easier now than it was, what with bluetooth / Xbox controllers, wireless everything, Steam Big Picture and the rise of ITX motherboards.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Evil Canadian posted:

Is the switch gonna force me to rebuy all my VC games again :argh:

You can transfer your NNID to the Switch which enables you to play your WiiU purchases in legacy mode (TV only!) while giving you a 30% discount on the same titles in the SwitchStore

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well why not posted:

I know lots of people with full size towers plugged into their TVs. They do most of the reading on their phones or at work.

The home PC is for console ports, maybe at facebook or photos on reddit and playing music and movies.

I'd estimate that it's a fuckton easier now than it was, what with bluetooth / Xbox controllers, wireless everything, Steam Big Picture and the rise of ITX motherboards.

Some things are simple, some things are not so simple. Steam and half-assed in-game support will gently caress up your custom bindings, XInput has killed the market for pads with more buttons/axes, unsigned driver restrictions also limit the feasibility of non-standard gamepad use. Steam Big Picture is cool except even games with good gamepad support will force you to use mouse/keyboard to gently caress with their launcher and text input, also adding custom links to non-steam games such as emulated games with per-game settings configuration is a drat hassle and impossible to do without m/kbd.

Wireless Internet/inputs is more of a general quality of life improvement compared to 2004, it's not any easier to set up.

I mean I do appreciate the improvements to 10' functionality in Windows but it never goes very deep, you'll never have much couch time before having to reach for your keyboard (with a deep sigh ofc)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wireless Internet/inputs is more of a general quality of life improvement compared to 2004, it's not any easier to set up.

Well yeah, it is, because you don't have to run cables across your living room or deal with broken poo poo when people inevitably trip.

As far as XInput / emulator stuff, that's all niche nerdy stuff that won't bother most people. You're not wrong that the landscape has changed, but it's definitely miles ahead of 10 or even 5 years ago.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well why not posted:

Well yeah, it is, because you don't have to run cables across your living room or deal with broken poo poo when people inevitably trip.

As far as XInput / emulator stuff, that's all niche nerdy stuff that won't bother most people. You're not wrong that the landscape has changed, but it's definitely miles ahead of 10 or even 5 years ago.

Fair enough

There's some bitchin' room for improvement though, nobody designs PC software with gamepad-only in mind

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Totally! I'd love to see stuff like analog control, triggers etc be more supported. Gamepads really allow for a different interaction than keyboard & mouse and developers don't always take advantage.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Hmmm

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-nintendo-switchs-right-joy-con-offers-ir-pointer-functionality/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

That would mean holding it upside-down with the uncomfortable edges digging into your palm though, right? not likely it's located there imo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

nm

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Decus posted:

They had a famitsu interview, so that "no more details until 2017" was wrong already. They probably meant "no details provided to WSJ until 2017".

The famitsu revealed that it will come with the joy-con for sure but will vary by region for the other controllers, does not in fact play 3DS cartridges or WiiU discs, that they do not consider it as replacing the WiiU or 3DS and that they are still considering whether or not they'll make a successor for the 3DS.

some of the reporting about this thing has been hilariously bad. polygon, i think, wrote a story with the headline "nintendo to announce switch hardware specs in 2017," which was really just their special way of rephrasing the "no more announcements this year" WSJ story.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That would mean holding it upside-down with the uncomfortable edges digging into your palm though, right? not likely it's located there imo

Maybe the right Joy-Con is just used for pointing and you're using the stick and buttons on the left Joy-Con to actually control the games. That wouldn't be a huge departure from the Wii Remote + Nunchuck setup.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
These things must have batteries in them, so now I'm beleiving third party battery packs will be just big gently caress off heavy joy cons that share power supply with the main Switch unit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

greatn posted:

These things must have batteries in them, so now I'm beleiving third party battery packs will be just big gently caress off heavy joy cons that share power supply with the main Switch unit.

oddium posted:

the third-party will make giant joycons that are 80% battery and plug into the switch to charge it. that's my guess

we take plagiarism very seriously here.......

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

wicka posted:

some of the reporting about this thing has been hilariously bad. polygon, i think, wrote a story with the headline "nintendo to announce switch hardware specs in 2017," which was really just their special way of rephrasing the "no more announcements this year" WSJ story.

Buckle up cause articles composed of twitter rumors is only going to get worse until some Nintendo Direct start coming out.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dunban posted:

Maybe the right Joy-Con is just used for pointing and you're using the stick and buttons on the left Joy-Con to actually control the games. That wouldn't be a huge departure from the Wii Remote + Nunchuck setup.

What would be the benefits of that, compared to placing the IR sensor on top of the joycon though? The thing seen on those photos could easily be a classic controller-style port or something like that imo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

dont be mean to me posted:

What's happening with the Wii U right now, exactly?
For me, a ton of Picross 3D.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
whoops!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dont be mean to me posted:

What's happening with the Wii U right now, exactly?

A backlog mostly, because I'd just rather play my 3DS 80% of the time. I finally picked up Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, so that will keep me occupied until Pokemon comes out. Sometime this winter I also have to properly play Bayonetta 2, as well. I did get plenty of mileage out of Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Sm4sh, though. I bought Monster Hunter 3U to revisit it, and was mostly reminded of how much I hate underwater fights :v:. Greatsword is not a good choice in the water.

As for upcoming releases, uh....
... I mean, I'll probably play Breath of the Wild on my Wii U if I'm not impressed enough by the Switch launch lineup to preorder. That's kinda it. Other than that it looks like it's just a bunch of indie games and shovelware, and virtual console titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

irlZaphod posted:

For me, a ton of Picross 3D.

Oh my God, Picross 3D Round 2? For 3DS???
2 dec in Italy... No, why Nintendo?????
I hope it wasn't because I trolled this thread!
:smith:

• Locked thread