Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mandatory lesbian posted:

am i supposed to think the judge's reasoning isn't dumb, cuz i do and still will no matter what he says

wait do you think the judge's reasoning is dumb, or not?

because the judge's reasoning is laughably incorrect with the benefit of the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Star Man posted:

I am okay with Tom Ross making fun of Jeff Hoogland.

My favorite twitter post making fun of Hoogland was after he scrubbed out of some SCG Legacy event and went MIA on social media until late in the evening one of the first replies to his twitter post was Joe Lossett with "Good to see that you are okay. I got worried when I didn't see you whining about legacy this afternoon"

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hellsau posted:

because the judge's reasoning is laughably incorrect with the benefit of the video

oooookay that's a super obvious cheat and it's dumb that the judge ruled the way he did anyway since RIP is the easiest missed trigger to resolve since the graveyard state doesn't change from after casting

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

look i mauy be slightly tipsy but im pretty sure i was clear that i disagree with the judge call

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

look i mauy be slightly tipsy but im pretty sure i was clear that i disagree with the judge call

look i don't know how negatives work

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

I mean, the judge was correct that if a player casts rest in peace, it resolves, and then the player moves on without anything happening to the graveyards then the trigger is missed.

But that's not actually what happened. Kent exiled his graveyard, then unexiled it when he though he might be able to make his opponent miss the trigger, and then conveniently left that part out (aka "lied to the judge") when explaining his side of the situation. Lying to a tournament official comes under Cheating, and he should straight-up eat a DQ and ban for that.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Jabor posted:

I mean, the judge was correct that if a player casts rest in peace, it resolves, and then the player moves on without anything happening to the graveyards then the trigger is missed.

But that's not actually what happened. Kent exiled his graveyard, then unexiled it when he though he might be able to make his opponent miss the trigger, and then conveniently left that part out (aka "lied to the judge") when explaining his side of the situation. Lying to a tournament official comes under Cheating, and he should straight-up eat a DQ and ban for that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

Yeah basically. If you see that video, it's pretty clear what Kent was doing. Moving his graveyard aside, taking his hand off it, and then moving it back shows a pretty clear intent to deceive.

e: btw apparently Hoogland is a terrible person indeed:

https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/790425435142094848

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 24, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I opened 13 chests online

and i don't know what I've won. One of my rare slots was taken up by a common (good ol' Scion) and apparently Black Market is being bought for 15 tickets, but is a non-foil Expedition Tarn just the same value as a regular Zendikar Tarn? None of the bots want to buy it. I can just swap it for one of my other Tarns, but this is kind of ridiculous.

I hope this experiment crashes and burns when the chests become tradable and we can go back to having regular old prizes again. Getting paid in fun money is kind of stupid, but at least I'd be able to draft a whole lot of Innistrad later this week.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Expeditions aren't redeemable anyway I don't think, so probably the non-foil ends up being worth more.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Ross insulted Hoogland's receding hairline and Hoogland dissed Ross's leather jacket. They're gonna meet in the Octagon next SCG Open. I hope they get paired up against each other in a feature match next SCG event.

Whole thing is kinda weird because Ross seems much more laid back than his twitter activity tonight. I wonder if some words were exchanged at the Open this weekend
Can't wait for the cage match at the next GP.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

"A player lies to a tournament official about what happened in a game to make his case stronger" is literally the second example in the "Unsporting Conduct - Cheating" section of the IPG, for what that's worth.

Also, since we mentioned Eternal the other day: An Eternal thread would go into Games right? Only similar one I know is Hearthstone, which is the Blizzard subforum, so that doesn't help.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

"A player lies to a tournament official about what happened in a game to make his case stronger" is literally the second example in the "Unsporting Conduct - Cheating" section of the IPG, for what that's worth.

If there were stats available for what folks got DQd for, lying to a judge would probably be right up the top.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jabor posted:

Expeditions aren't redeemable anyway I don't think, so probably the non-foil ends up being worth more.

The bots probably just aren't set up with prices for non-foil expeditions either.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Also, since we mentioned Eternal the other day: An Eternal thread would go into Games right? Only similar one I know is Hearthstone, which is the Blizzard subforum, so that doesn't help.

I believe Hex thread at least is in Games too, so yeah I would guess so.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lunsku posted:

I believe Hex thread at least is in Games too, so yeah I would guess so.

Gotcha. I'll set up an OP, then, and figure it out from there, thanks.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Why do you have to audibly announce the trigger from Rest in Peace? It's not a "you may" it's a hard "When it enters the battlefield, exile all graveyards"

Was Kent just trying to be a rules lawyer trying to get that extra inch on his opponent. You know what RiP does, don't make a spectacle out of it. Jesusfuck some of these grinders are babyboy idiots

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why do you have to audibly announce the trigger from Rest in Peace? It's not a "you may" it's a hard "When it enters the battlefield, exile all graveyards"

Was Kent just trying to be a rules lawyer trying to get that extra inch on his opponent. You know what RiP does, don't make a spectacle out of it. Jesusfuck some of these grinders are babyboy idiots

Because the trigger rules are dumb.

The funny thing is that twitter is showing that pro tour pros are saying this is bullshit and the only few defending it are scg grinders. Boohooglands twitter feed has been entertaining.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

It sure is still a trigger rather than an ETB effect.

And yes, there's a whole bunch of grinders that spend their time learning how to game their opponent rather than actually getting better at Magic. They're a particular peeve of mine in the UK.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mfcrocker posted:

And yes, there's a whole bunch of grinders that spend their time learning how to game their opponent rather than actually getting better at Magic. They're a particular peeve of mine in the UK.

If you're a seasoned player you know what the spell does, don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Me: Casting RiP
Opponent: Sure, it resolves

Then once it ETB's exile your poo poo. You don't need to have your hand held and be told to. If it was a "You may exile all GY's" upon ETB and it was missed then I'm 100% on board.

I'm sure people will be like "tsk tsk, well it's part of the rules" and if you (Not you personally just you in general" are one of them you're an rear end and you and others like you who share this mindset are just one of the many reasons why this game isn't enjoyable as it could be.

Luckily I avoid most of this because I don't play in these types of events but seeing that this happens in the community gives me the douche chills and makes me embarrassed for people who act this way.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mfcrocker posted:

Doesn't matter if you like it or not, having better knowledge of games rules to gain an advantage is explicitly part of the goal.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

The funny thing is that twitter is showing that pro tour pros are saying this is bullshit and the only few defending it are scg grinders. Boohooglands twitter feed has been entertaining.

IMO there's a pretty strong analogy between the SCG grinder who's never made it anywhere on the pro tour, and the local game store big fish who thinks they're hot poo poo for winning fnm every week but never steps up to any real tournaments. It's the same mentality.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795252

Eternal thread is here. Hoping the title isn't too much of an issue :downs:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

IMO there's a pretty strong analogy between the SCG grinder who's never made it anywhere on the pro tour, and the local game store big fish who thinks they're hot poo poo for winning fnm every week but never steps up to any real tournaments. It's the same mentality.

Yep, pretty much. The exceptions are guys like Todd stephens who despite him trying to play and entire second day with the flu, wouldn't be caught dead trying to argue a loving rip trigger. I also doubt Tom Ross would either.

What a beautiful thing it would be for Tom to beat out boohoogland in the last event. That is what SCG should be making videos over, not these dumb Jim Davis videos.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I called this post on IRC like 12 hours ago :smuggo:

1. Because it's a trigger that you can miss and you're not required to play your opponent's cards for them.

2. You don't have to audibly announce your trigger. You have to acknowledge it in some way. Removing your own graveyard, for example. Or pointing to theirs or tapping RiP or their graveyard or basically anything that indicates that you know what your card does.

What happens in the video is something else entirely. This is Ketter shortcutting by playing his opponent's card for him (which is fine.) The problem comes when he then takes it back because his opponent doesn't say "trigger" or something. He has no reason to say it or do anything else because the trigger has already resolved via Ketter's actions. It'd be like someone saying "well you didn't acknowledge your trigger twice so it didn't resolve."

And to play devil's advocate, what if Kent legitimately didn't know what RiP did and his opponent didn't announce his trigger?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sickening posted:

Yep, pretty much. The exceptions are guys like Todd stephens who despite him trying to play and entire second day with the flu, wouldn't be caught dead trying to argue a loving rip trigger. I also doubt Tom Ross would either.

What a beautiful thing it would be for Tom to beat out boohoogland in the last event. That is what SCG should be making videos over, not these dumb Jim Davis videos.

Honestly if SCG took all of their "Pros" and made ridiculous wrestling style "I'm comin' for you Hulk Hogan Boss Ross!" call-out promos instead of what they usually do they'd be worth watching on that alone.

Do the top-8 of the Players Championship as a "Hell-in-a-cell" match. Complete with actual cages coming down over each play area. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

I called this post on IRC like 12 hours ago :smuggo:

1. Because it's a trigger that you can miss and you're not required to play your opponent's cards for them.

2. You don't have to audibly announce your trigger. You have to acknowledge it in some way. Removing your own graveyard, for example. Or pointing to theirs or tapping RiP or their graveyard or basically anything that indicates that you know what your card does.

What happens in the video is something else entirely. This is Ketter shortcutting by playing his opponent's card for him (which is fine.) The problem comes when he then takes it back because his opponent doesn't say "trigger" or something. He has no reason to say it or do anything else because the trigger has already resolved via Ketter's actions. It'd be like someone saying "well you didn't acknowledge your trigger twice so it didn't resolve."

And to play devil's advocate, what if Kent legitimately didn't know what RiP did and his opponent didn't announce his trigger?

Why didn't the broadcasters point out what Ketter did to the judges?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They were too busy bitching about the format. :colbert:

I also don't think I have ever heard the casters complain about a judge call. Its probably on the list of things they aren't allowed to do.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I didn't ask them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

They were too busy bitching about the format. :colbert:

I also don't think I have ever heard the casters complain about a judge call. Its probably on the list of things they aren't allowed to do.

I've definitely seen casters point stuff out to the judges before like for gamestate errors and seen it corrected.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Skyl3lazer posted:

Doesn't matter if you like it or not, having better knowledge of games rules to gain an advantage is explicitly part of the goal.

The part of the MTR that refers to this was changed pretty much entirely to kill off this argument. It now reads "A player should have an advantage due to better understanding of the options provided by the rules of the game". An explanation of the change can be found at http://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2016/01/18/ogw-policy-changes/

quote:

There’s a few changes in the MTR (welcome, Wastes!) and one small but important one I want to call attention to, because it’s been a source of misunderstanding over the years: “The philosophy of the DCI is that a player should have an advantage due to better understanding of the rules of a game…” This has sometimes been held up as a defense of rules lawyering, which could not be further from the truth. Knowing what the rules are gives you an advantage because it opens up your decision tree; you may be aware of paths to take that other players might not be, and so that sentence has been altered to make this clearer. Of course, knowing the rules isn’t always an advantage. Sometimes you can see too many paths!

E: Also, to be clear I'm fully aware that they're allowed to angle shoot (non-sporting conduct isn't necessarily Unsporting Conduct) but if my time in both MTG and poker has taught me anything is that these players tend to be wasting their time on this sort of nonsense rather than actually spending it getting better; that's why you see it fairly rarely at the actual top of the game.

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 24, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cernunnos posted:

Honestly if SCG took all of their "Pros" and made ridiculous wrestling style "I'm comin' for you Hulk Hogan Boss Ross!" call-out promos instead of what they usually do they'd be worth watching on that alone.

Do the top-8 of the Players Championship as a "Hell-in-a-cell" match. Complete with actual cages coming down over each play area. :v:

This would actually be cool and good since the drama is already set up for them. They can wear costumes and take autographs during SCG events. We already have heels and they can bring back the infamous Explorer persona if he still plays.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

It becomes worse when they do step up and get shat on. They then carry that chip on their shoulder and have an attitude of someone with something to prove. Then they get mad at you for doing well when you don't spend nearly as much time practicing the game as they do and spend all your tournament prep time playing Halo and COD the night before instead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's pretty cool that a kid from a store 5 mins from my house who I have known for 4 years pretty much came up with the best deck in standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty cool that a kid from a store 5 mins from my house who I have known for 4 years pretty much came up with the best deck in standard.

Which deck is the best deck in standard this week? U/W midrange?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 24, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Chill la Chill posted:

It becomes worse when they do step up and get shat on. They then carry that chip on their shoulder and have an attitude of someone with something to prove. Then they get mad at you for doing well when you don't spend nearly as much time practicing the game as they do and spend all your tournament prep time playing Halo and COD the night before instead.

It's also the point when these sorts of folks tend to turn to actual cheating; they've spent a long time considering themselves hot poo poo and can tend to try and make reality match up with their view of themselves.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Which deck is the best deck in standard this week? B/W midrange?

WU Flash.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
MTGoldfish and Hoogland were playing U/W flash back in SoI, it's not really a new thing

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

WoTC pretty explicitly doesn't want to use coverage got help judge calls because not every match has that luxury. When "the booth" corrects boardstate it tends to be things that are GRV not just missed triggers and the like (things you would be allowed to point out if you were watching).

Now, why they don't ask the coverage people what they saw is a different story (which is allowed during investigation if the judge knows you were watching.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MTGoldfish and Hoogland were playing U/W flash back in SoI, it's not really a new thing

Nah it was a pretty different list.

• Locked thread