Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So, teambuilding.

I've been rolling an all dragon Couatl/dragotaur/visk/emperina team (Buff with dragotaur, visk for direct damage, emperina to deal with poison), but i've got them all maxed out on levels and short of finding a Dragon Soul, I'm not sure how to go further with them.

For Legendaries I've got Autumnal Imp, Borealis, Gloom Leave, Kruarg the Dread, Moloch, Venoxia, and Webspinner. The Imp and Webspinner seem like they've got potential, and I've got 40 Epic creatures (tho quite a few are normals/rares that have been boosted, like my stupid Epic Musketeer).

For my hero weapons I've got War and Peace and Warlord's Battlecry, and a bunch of blues.

Is there some obvious great combos I'm missing here? Most of the trouble I"ve had in PvP has come from cards I don't have access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I am a huge fan of troops that convert gems, and whatever troops that can take advantage of the mana. Valkyrie, Alchemist, Hellcat, Giant Spider are all great. There is that new bearded lady dwarf that makes brown gems too. Any and all of those 4 are worth investing trait stones and souls into.

The second tier mana generators create gems instead of swapping one color to another, or are more limited in the color swap ability. Things like Rock Worms, Acolyte, Deep Borer, Green Slime, Sea or Rock Troll. They are a bit random for my taste, but honestly work better in the hands of the AI (for defense) since sometimes the AI will make bad choices with the top tier swappers.

Gem destroyers are good too. Marlith, Gorgotha, Goblin Rocket, Soothsayer are all solid troops that work well on attack or defense.

Then look for something to do with the mana. Troops that deal damage or true damage to the entire enemy team are a good start. There are a dozen weapons that the hero can use as well, but mostly locked behind gem mastery.

At low levels, your strategy is pretty good. Buff a tank with attack and armor or life, and wait for gem matches, or perhaps use a swapper to speed it up. Troops like Treant, uh the vampire lady from Whitehelm, Luther, Marlith. Look for ones that can boost their own attack and provide aome resistance to skull damage with Armored or Stoneskin, or perhaps heal themselves like Arborath (if I spelled that right).

The classic all-goblins is still popular, for good reason. And the new Guardians can be wicked.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Is it possible to get Shadow Dragon from event chests this week? I've gotten three of Queen Ysabelle and no dragon.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Bandire posted:

Is it possible to get Shadow Dragon from event chests this week? I've gotten three of Queen Ysabelle and no dragon.

I'm not sure. Usually you can obtain Legendaries from a particular kingdom through event keys, but since Ysabelle can only be obtained through event keys, it may be the case that she is the only legendary you can pull this week.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Did anybody else get a whole bunch of "leftover" guild gold in their inbox? It all came in separate "letters" and seemed to have way more total gold than it should have, probably got somewhere around 30-40k from it!

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

comingafteryouall posted:

Did anybody else get a whole bunch of "leftover" guild gold in their inbox? It all came in separate "letters" and seemed to have way more total gold than it should have, probably got somewhere around 30-40k from it!

Yeah it seems to have duplicated about 12x for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Devonaut posted:

Yeah it seems to have duplicated about 12x for me.

Yeah same here. I mean I'm not complaining but drat.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Bandire posted:

It's in there, I pulled one while trying to get Ysabelle.

comingafteryouall posted:

Not only did I not get any leftover gold at all, but also sometime during the weekend I had stopped getting rewards for guild tasks that other players completed. It fixed itself when I completed one myself after the reset today, though.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Doc V posted:

It's in there, I pulled one while trying to get Ysabelle.

Not only did I not get any leftover gold at all, but also sometime during the weekend I had stopped getting rewards for guild tasks that other players completed. It fixed itself when I completed one myself after the reset today, though.

Thanks. The game still hates me then.

And submit a support ticket. They are really good about fixing stuff like that and getting you back what you didn't receive. Missing out on the Monday morning task rush sucks.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I am hording my keys for the new kingdom coming soon™. But I did spend 22 event keys and got the new queen.

I want to max out a guardian, but not sure which one. Either way I am saving up glory to dump into rewards to get enough for the mono color stones.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Been encountering the defense team of Manticore, Bone Dragon, Courage, Courage a lot. (give or take a manticore/courage, both variants seem popular) fully traited this is beastly, because it is hard to play around. Give them skulls and they're gonna grow beyond where AoE can kill them, Manticore slows you down, and Bone Dragon is eventually gonna fill up and kill you piece by piece. So my vote would go towards Courage. Humility is good if you encounter a lot of fully traited death, and I've been having some fun with Justice in my invade team. Those are probably the second best choices.

Guardians take such an absurd amount of traitstones though.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Manticore, manticore, deep borer, bone dragon almost got me today. Double manticore really slows down a team.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I fought a black beast*** + triple fortress door*** setup this past weekend, and I play maw***/rockworm***/rockworm***/prismatic orb

It took 10 minutes.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Hey all. I'm having some network issues that might be preventing me from getting into the game. Just wanted to make sure you guys were aware in case I can't get in for a while.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just bailed on a match against four fully-traited Ysabelles.

It was a mess even with Khorvash*** and true damage.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
They just pushed out a new update on Steam and mobile. This has the soul cap changes, guild legendary tasks which won't matter to Gem Boiz and probably not Gem Blossoms either (you have to complete all the tasks, and some other changes.

Here's the full list of changes: http://gemsofwar.com/2-1-5-arrives/

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
These changes seem pretty nice. Added Necromancy to a bunch of troops, increased soul generation for abilities other than Valkyrie's... Valkyrie is no longer mandatory for soul farming.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Disillusionist posted:

These changes seem pretty nice. Added Necromancy to a bunch of troops, increased soul generation for abilities other than Valkyrie's... Valkyrie is no longer mandatory for soul farming.

My Undead team that I used for true damage nuking has both Wight and Banshee on it, and both of those abilities now give souls. So, um, thanks for the new farm team?

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Seems to still be down for iOS, I can't log in and there isn't an update on the App Store. Any one else seeing this?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Gaukler posted:

Seems to still be down for iOS, I can't log in and there isn't an update on the App Store. Any one else seeing this?

The devs said something about waiting for the update to hit the app store.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
So we need a team that incorporates Merchant, Necromancy, and a soul generator.

Any ideas? Being fast helps too.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

waffles beyond waffles posted:

So we need a team that incorporates Merchant, Necromancy, and a soul generator.

Any ideas? Being fast helps too.

Maw, Valk, Apothecary, Keeper of Souls. Use the red/brown banner. Fill Valk, feed Apothecary, feed Maw/KoS. It's not terribly fast, but it does match your other needs.

Xidus
Aug 7, 2000
Is there an xbox guild?
invite code: KORGOTH THE MAD_QEZC

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, Dragon Soul is just insane after the buff it got. Combatwise nothing's changed of course, but getting the soul generation buffed by 50% means that he can get close to the soul cap after blowing up the board twice, which is the number of times it usually takes to kill the enemy team, and usually only a few moves in.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
So what should be put in place of Valkyrie in the TAVB team now since she lost Necromancy? Or what are the best soul farming teams that people are finding now? Granted I don't have a lot of the harder to get troops yet and no mythics.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Mass Disenchant is a godsend too.

Kevos Setzer posted:

My Undead team that I used for true damage nuking has both Wight and Banshee on it, and both of those abilities now give souls. So, um, thanks for the new farm team?

What's that team?

edit: holy poo poo 3x Ysabella*** + Valkyrie team is scary to fight.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 26, 2016

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Grundulum posted:

Maw, Valk, Apothecary, Keeper of Souls. Use the red/brown banner. Fill Valk, feed Apothecary, feed Maw/KoS. It's not terribly fast, but it does match your other needs.

I just tried this team:

Carnex * (armored)
Apothecary **
Valkyrie ***
Keeper of Souls *

Apothecary is pretty good. The cleanse helps a lot. Pretty much a strait swap for Giant Spider, just a different color gem swapper.

Carnex is interesting. Against bone dragon with frozen soul, for instance, after using KoS to take out the Valkyrie in front of the dragon, I blew up the board which filled up my Apothecary and Valkyrie again.

I have had great success with Treant/ Giant Spider/ Valkyrie/ KoS, so one could just put Apothecary in for the Spider and it would work just fine. Except that I would never really want to remove all brown gems. I will have to try Maw. Spider Knight is a little underpowered, but only uses purple, and at 7 mana it would fill up fast and web is good against Mab, etc.

I guess the problem with Merchant is that it's only 25 more gold. Even with all my multipliers, it's a whopping 250g more.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Valk is still fine. It now takes me 3 casts to get max souls instead of 2. There are just more options to get extra souls now.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
How do the top people in PVP get so many skulls or whatever for rank? I played drat near constant all last week and made about 15k and the top guys were at something like 50k+ when I last looked. Are they cheating somehow or just using some ultra 1-hit deck and spamming games?

Looking right now the guy in first place already has almost 20k skulls and I have 3k.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Bots I would imagine.

The new avatar system is fine, but now at the end of the battle the MVP is always the hero, even when they aren't in the teams.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Didn't Tacet finish in the top 10 too? I don't think he's botting

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I am sure that some people bot. It's what happens. Some people are probably just playing too much.

They should restructure the PVP system, increase rewards, and divide the population into brackets. I used to play Marvel Puzzle Quest, and would be able to rank without devoting my life to it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Marvel Puzzle Quest did a good job encouraging more than just a few dozen poopsockers to battle for the top. The only problem I had with it is that you had to be playing right up to the reset or you would never place high enough for worthwhile prizes. That's pretty hard to avoid though.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Some guy on the official forums claimed to have made the top 3 one week and said he had to play 18hrs or so a day to make it. I'm pretty sure some of the top players share accounts with other people, and of course some are bots.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Trastion posted:

So what should be put in place of Valkyrie in the TAVB team now since she lost Necromancy? Or what are the best soul farming teams that people are finding now? Granted I don't have a lot of the harder to get troops yet and no mythics.

I don't think Valkyrie lost the souls with her skill, just the Necromancy trait. Necromancy now raises the souls-per-battle cap. It sounds like they decided having both a soul generation ability and Necromancy was too much for one troop.

One thing you can do is search for Necromancy and it will show you all the troops that have that trait.

Oenis posted:

Mass Disenchant is a godsend too.

What's that team?

You are exactly right on Mass Disenchant.

The team I have is this:

Wight***
Lady Sapphira*** (the vampire from Whitehelm)
Draakulis
Banshee***
Using the Blue and Yellow banner

I won't claim it's a top-tier team, but I'm more in this game for fun than grinding.

I use Wight and Lady Sapphira to start targeting the troops I want gone first, Draakulis whenever he fills up (my first Mythic and he covers green for the team) and I just kept Banshee around to cover purple, but she gives a little extra help on targeting and can fill red on Wight and Draakulis.

My future plans were to switch out Wight for Crimson Bat once that's traited up. And when I have all three traits on Draakulis (if ever) I might lead with him.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some good teams built around the Dragon Soul?

I'm getting bored with Khorvash/Valk/Mab/Mercy and am currently using Celestasia/Dragon Soul/Shadow Dragon/Dragotaur.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I'm getting bored with Khorvash/Valk/Mab/Mercy and am currently using Celestasia/Dragon Soul/Shadow Dragon/Dragotaur.

This one but with Sylvanimora instead of Dragotaur is my favorite.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, it's what I would build if I had Sylvanimora. Right now I'm working on traiting up Celestasia, which just recently dropped for me, to make it more durable, but explore is still a pita when you know you've got 10 arcanes left to go. But at least I can farm more souls now while at it.

However, I moved Dragon Soul to third slot because TDS getting mana drained by Khorvash sucks.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 26, 2016

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I use dragotaur/dragon soul/dragon egg/celestia. It's pretty fun cause it's such a meatgrinder. The dragotaur helps fill up soul, and gives attack and armor. Dragon soul pretty much chains casts and does the bulk of the damage. In the event that a dragotaur dies, the egg keeps pooping out baby dragons that transform into bigger meaner dragons, and celestia is an unkillable poo poo that just always seems to set up 4 matches for the enemy :v:
I've been leveling all the dragons so everything the baby transforms into is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Celest/ Sylv/ TDS/ Manticore provides some much needed control, and only sacrifices 3 damage per enemy troop. I rarely use Celestia's ability, so once the TDS/Sylv combo gets going Manticore is ready to go again.