Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

WU Flash.

Guessing Sickening originally posted B/W out of habit. But might there be a BW deck right now? Besides Mardu Vehicles (Mardu Motors surely?) Perhaps it necessarily has to be midrange, as control will be using Planeswalkers as wincons and those are devalued by Copter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

okay you know what Partner is a pretty cool mechanic for commanders.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting Flanking to make a comeback.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Nah it was a pretty different list.

No poo poo. It didn't consist of EMN or KLD cards. It wasn't a archetype that's just suddenly surfaced.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

apparently if you're playing partner dudes as your generals your actual deck only needs to be 98 cards

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I saw the non-commander cards and got excited. Then I saw the commanders and I remembered which shitbirds were in charge of this.

Thanks, Sheldon, for always being trash.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
It's cool how they keep making RW Legendary's that loving suck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sidar reads really weirdly to me. The partner mechanic is a cool way to make 4 color decks but the generals don't seem very impressive.

No seriously what the gently caress is going on with Sidar. It basically gives your guys flying in a really confusing way and has another random form of evasion stapled on :psyduck:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So we're going to get one legendary with all 4 colors, and then 2 others in the deck with 2 colors and Partner

Neat. Atraxa missing red is also a flavor win.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sidar reads really weirdly to me. The partner mechanic is a cool way to make 4 color decks but the generals don't seem very impressive.

Seems like a fair balance though. You get 1 powerful commander, or two commanders but each is a bit toned down.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Seems like a fair balance though. You get 1 powerful commander, or two commanders but each is a bit toned down.

I wonder how partner works with the 100 card limit.

Do you run 98 cards or continue to run 99 and bring your deck total up to 101?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Bruse Tarl

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Seems like a fair balance though. You get 1 powerful commander, or two commanders but each is a bit toned down suck rear end.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

So we're going to get one legendary with all 4 colors, and then 2 others in the deck with 2 colors and Partner

Neat. Atraxa missing red is also a flavor win.

You're actually getting three partner legends in each deck; two enemy colored and one allied color pair

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I can't believe they finally made the Ox flavour text man into a card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

For a second I thought they printed a common wrath.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I wonder how partner works with the 100 card limit.

Do you run 98 cards or continue to run 99 and bring your deck total up to 101?

Your decks are 100 cards, including any and all commanders. So you run 98 cards.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Found 'em

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=382325&type=card

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=401975&type=card

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope at least a couple of eternal cards come out of these.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The partner mechanic, while interesting (oh my god please errata brothers yamazaki to have that keyword) seems a bit of a cop out to the usual 3 commanders per deck since it looks like we're probably getting the pair and one legit 4c per deck

Oh and oh loving course the new True Conviction R/W moustache gentleman is an Ally to boot

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This thing is so disgustingly open-ended the entire table could have vastly different but equally potent Atraxa decks.

ZeroCount posted:

The trigger should be ETB, attacking, or swearing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I get that they have to be worse but stuff like Kraum isn't even really encouraging you to do anything in particular. I guess it's basically Stormbreath Dragon.

It's possible that there are more super obvious teamups like Sidar and Silas though that might help a little.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:captainpop:

I didn't even notice his name.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This thing is so disgustingly open-ended the entire table could have vastly different but equally potent Atraxa decks.

It is difficult for assorted types of garbage to be equally potent, but I'm certain EDH players will find a way.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

BLUE-BLACK-RED-GREEN (UBRG) "CHAOS"

Blue is eager to discover the results of empirical experiments. Black is happy to confuse its enemies. Red embraces chaos on an elemental level as an essential part of its nature. Green is content to let the universe unfold as it will. White, as the color of order and structure, tries to contain chaos at every turn—but chaos will not be contained!

This deck embraces variance, playing cards sight-unseen from the top of the deck, flipping coins, and otherwise injecting additional randomness into the game. This deck is for players who prefer to "just see what happens" than to carefully plan each move.

quote:

BLACK-RED-GREEN-WHITE (BRGW) "AGGRESSION"

Black believes in strangling the young before they grow up to become a threat. Red loves to fight for the sheer exhilaration of it. Green understands that survival of the fittest makes the whole of nature strong, and white is willing to fight to defend its people and its beliefs. Blue, however, would prefer to slow down and study the situation in order to find the correct solution.

The aggro deck is unconcerned with politics; it simply wants to kill everyone at the table as quickly as possible. This deck is ideal for players who hate to durdle and prefer a play style more akin to Limited than the usual Commander fare.

oh good, the bad archetype and the archetype everyone hates

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Now this is an EDH Rock.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gilded Lotus 2.0 in the proper decks, you say? Hello friend.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The design article confirms that they built each 4-color deck by figuring out what the excluded colour hates that the others are fine with.

No-White Deck is Chaos.
No-Green is Artifacts.
No-Blue is aggressive.
No-Black is a political group hug deck with pillowfort elements
No-Red is all about building up tokens and growth poo poo over time

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay Wizards, I appreciate that you gave Bruse Tarl a card, and I definitely love that his art is magnificent, but... that is a profoundly uninspired card design. I get that you want RW to be the Turn Dudes Sideways colors (and when I play commander, I play RW Turn Dudes Sideways (or Mardu TDS with Zurgo)), but there has to be a better way. Like...

Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder 2RW

Legendary Creature - Human Ally

At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 0/1 Sheep token

Whenever a creature you control attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking creature that shares a creature type with it.

Partner

3/3

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Okay Wizards, I appreciate that you gave Bruse Tarl a card, and I definitely love that his art is magnificent, but... that is a profoundly uninspired card design. I get that you want RW to be the Turn Dudes Sideways colors (and when I play commander, I play RW Turn Dudes Sideways (or Mardu TDS with Zurgo)), but there has to be a better way. Like...

Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder 2RW

Legendary Creature - Human Ally

At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 0/1 Sheep token

Whenever a creature you control attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn for each other attacking creature that shares a creature type with it.

Partner

3/3

Positively broken with the GB Partner who will run both Conspiracy and Avenger of Zendikar.

Checkmate.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Bruse Tarl should have had Pardner as a keyword

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Positively broken with the GB Partner who will run both Conspiracy and Avenger of Zendikar.

Checkmate.

Good, RW is overdue for a commander that can be broken.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Good, RW is overdue for a commander that can be broken.

Do you even play EDH?

Please, you need to understand that the most busted commanders need to have blue in them specifically.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Do you even play EDH?

Please, you need to understand that the most busted commanders need to have blue in them specifically.

No, no, that's not right.

They have to have blue and green.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bruse is also an Ally so you would just be putting him into your 5C ally deck anyway.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I'm gonna buy the UBRG chaos deck and all my friends will laugh for exactly one game from the novelty before it dawns on them that this hideous rng poo poo will be happening every game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

No, no, that's not right.

They have to have blue and green.

But this doesn't explain Mizzix, Niv Mizzet, Sen Triplets.
:c00l:

ZeroCount posted:

I'm gonna buy the UBRG chaos deck and all my friends will laugh for exactly one game from the novelty before it dawns on them that this hideous rng poo poo will be happening every game

You could at least just run Norin the Wary with Genesis Chamber and Confusion In The Ranks to make sure nobody actually has the board state they desire.

Meanwhile you have a 2/1 that does nothing yet everything you could hope for.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 24, 2016

• Locked thread