Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

Are you asking the drive by howlers, the resident wet blankets, or anyone else?

i identify as an anyone else FYI

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Are you white? Is she Asian (no, it doesn't matter if she's not Vietnamese)? Then yes.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

i identify as an anyone else FYI

The Great Autismo!, based on your username you clearly have a good understanding of social interaction, so I ask you.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The North Tower posted:

The Great Autismo!, based on your username you clearly have a good understanding of social interaction, so I ask you.

i do have a great username, don't i

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korea is the drunkest place on Earth. It can be a lot of fun.

My favorite drunk story was I was out with friends and one of said friends had puked. We were in the university area, and the bar street is kind of on a little ridge and the roads down to the main street are very steep. His puke went down one of these steep roads. It's a walking area, so it was paved like most walking areas in Korea and China--tiles that become idealized frictionless surfaces if they get wet. Why sidewalks are paved with a material that is impossible to walk on I will never know.

Anyway, my friend is on this bench after spewing and someone else, face buried in phone, walks into the puke. He immediately slips and falls down the hill in the vomit. This repeats multiple times, each time causing my friend to laugh hysterically which then makes him vomit more, creating more slippery area which another bephoned Korean walks into and slips down the hill in the puke and there's more puke and it's the circle of life.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

i do have a great username, don't i

You do. I'm kidding--you're one of the best posters in this thread.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
What the hell is in soju that makes Koreans puke so goddamn much? Granted I'm more of a pint person than a liquor lush, but is it down to the fact that it's cheaper than water?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
An additional point of contention I have with the super slick sidewalk tile is that it's usually laid on top of perfectly serviceable concrete. In Harbin when there's snow down, which is a lot of the year, there's always a deer trail running next to the tile on the thin strips of dirt left in the margins. The whole city uses these trails to get around on and as usual no one in China cares much for the idea of a one way street so you see people walking up to eachother on a collision course and then just standing there like two bees batting their antennas together for a minute once in range

raton fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 24, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

School Nickname posted:

What the hell is in soju that makes Koreans puke so goddamn much? Granted I'm more of a pint person than a liquor lush, but is it down to the fact that it's cheaper than water?

It's not so much what's in the soju but how much soju is in the Korean.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea is the drunkest place on Earth. It can be a lot of fun.

A girl I worked with the last year I was in Korea left Scotland and came to Korea to dry up. It did not work out so well.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Go on...

Also, are your experiences due to the fact that you work in the bureaucratic environment of the Korean education system? Would things be different/better in a small private sector firm? (I'm assuming Samsung, Hyundai etc are just as bureaucratic) because this makes me appreciate China, and not a lot of things do.

A little bit of back story to set the stage...

This was my first time in Korea, and I was teaching at a foreign language high school. The high school was part of the Gyeonggi-do public school board, but was run like a private school with the students living in a dorm building with it being segregated into two wings, with the girls in the west wing, the boys in the east wing, and the teachers occupying the top floor, (foreign teachers and Korean teachers who had a massive commute lived in them). This was seen as a very prestigious school, and as such everything in it was done to "the max". Which means that the students were literally only allocated 4.5 hours of sleep a night, they only went home every other weekend, and teachers were expected to put in very long hours in the class, the office, and in the bars. This was a brand new school, so I was in charge of creating a special English curriculum to challenge our students, and I shared an office with 3 female korean teachers, a female foreign Chinese teacher and the obligatory male lead teacher. There were 5 such offices, all with a foreign English teacher, a foreign Chinese/Japanese teacher, and 4-6 Korean teachers and one lead teacher, so everyone was interacting with everyone else and you could see the day of the typical Korean teacher for yourself. I could talk about that, but it has been covered and if anyone really wants to know about Korean work/admin, then they can ask me or Grand Fromage, or a dozen other people in this thread.

Korean Ladies Night:

To preface, Korea is really, really regimented/structured when it comes to a woman's place. They didn't have the great leap forward/cultural revolution to sort of even the playing field like China did, so women end up getting a pretty crappy role in life if they join the working world in an office situation. The female Korean teachers I worked with were expected to do the following as a regular part of their days at the school...

-prepare and teach their classes
-prepare and sometimes teach the male teacher's classes
-do all of the admin work for the male teachers, male admin, and sometimes even the principal
-do actual university papers for well-connected university students who were related to or friends of the principal's friends
-organize the social functions that happened every week after school (binge drinking outings)

Needless to say, they were exhausted and frustrated with their lot in life and really liked to cut loose when the Korean men were not around. Occasionally they would ignore the social expectations and cut loose at the function like the Korean men were doing. At these after school functions it was expected that the Korean men could turn into drunken idiots, while the Korean women had to remain "perfect ladies". So you'd see the Korean men getting absolutely trashed, while the Korean women were just sitting and nodding.

After I gave the diplomatic answer to who was the prettiest Korean teacher in my office the female staff (younger staff, all early 30's and about 5-10 years older than me at the time) started to take notice of how nice I was to them (comparatively) and how I was willing to help them out with some of their work (marking papers, doing random university student's work, doing extra classes after hours for them, etc) and they started to invite me out to their social functions.

First Night Out - Becoming one of the Girls: It was about 10:00pm and the female Korean Teachers (FKTs) were having a get-together in their apartment on the top floor of the dorm, just 4 units down the hall from mine. I got a knock on my door and one of the FKTs from my office invited me over. When I came in there were about 8 of them all sitting on the floor around a giant pile of snacks and beer just chatting. I had a seat and they all started to ask me a bunch of questions about Canada and what I thought of Korea (standard stuff). One of them asked me what I thought of Mr. Lee (the head teacher in our office) and I went on a rant about how he doesn't do anything except delegate his work to them and how they were expected to keep the whole school running, etc. After a bunch of cheers and some rounds of beer and soju, they decreed that we should go to a bar. We head out to a nearby bar and get one of those massive booths that we can all sit at and start talking. They start to unload all of the poo poo that they have to do at school, I'm giving them a sympathetic ear, and we are all getting thoroughly trashed. We start to play the drinking game, "I never" (one person makes a statement that they have never done, and anyone who has actually done it has to drink a beer). The very first statement is, "I have never smoked" and everyone at the table takes a drink, then opens up their purses and pulls out cigarettes. (I'm pretty sure the smoking stats for Korean women are junk). After a few more rounds another teacher says, "I have never slept with a Foreign Chinese teacher" and I take a drink, and they all go "OoooOOOooohhh! WE KNEW IT!". They start asking me questions about The Chinese teacher who left a month prior, and how she compares to Korean women. I told them I have not even kissed a Korean women, and somehow that prompted a game of spin the bottle that lasted long enough for everyone to kiss the Wayguk. At about 3am on a Tuesday morning most of us head back to the dorm while two teachers hopped the subway into Seoul to get 2 hours sleep before they have to get up and come to school.

That was the night that I realized that Korean women can be just as crazy (and even more so) than Korean men when they have the chance to cut loose, which they deserve at least twice as much as the male teachers.

I have a few more stories about other Ladies Nights if this is as interesting as some people were hoping (no actual plunging in any of them).

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 24, 2016

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

An additional point of contention I have with the super slick sidewalk tile is that it's usually laid on top of perfectly serviceable concrete. In Harbin when there's snow down, which is a lot of the year, there's always a deer trail running next to the tile on the thin strips of dirt left in the margins. The whole city uses these trails to get around on and as usual no one in China cares much for the idea of a one way street so you see people walking up to eachother on a collision course and then just standing there like two bees batting their antennas together for a minute once in range

They recently dug up the pavements for most of the roads around my neighbourhood and replaced them with concrete with a brick pattern stamped into it. Great, you can walk normally now and it looks ok. Then a week after they finished they came back and painted it with some clear stuff that has made it really slippery again. They also painted a random brick blue every couple of metres with something that manages to be even more slippery than the black marble they use everywhere.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

They recently dug up the pavements for most of the roads around my neighbourhood and replaced them with concrete with a brick pattern stamped into it. Great, you can walk normally now and it looks ok. Then a week after they finished they came back and painted it with some clear stuff that has made it really slippery again. They also painted a random brick blue every couple of metres with something that manages to be even more slippery than the black marble they use everywhere.

I think the blue bricks designates the bike lane.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Blistex posted:

A little bit of back story to set the stage...

My favorite part of this thread is the stories by people down in the trenches of asian countries, and your stories have been very entertaining so far. Please go on!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Korea's Women's liberation movement can't come soon enough :smith:

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Blistex posted:

I have a few more stories about other Ladies Nights if this is as interesting as some people were hoping (no actual plunging in any of them).

Please do. This is why I come to this thread.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Blistex posted:

I think the blue bricks designates the bike lane.

No its just a single brick painted blue every couple of meters, there's no pattern to it or anything. Another thing is that it's raining a lot lately so you have to simultaneously look at the floor to avoid them and also be looking up to watch out for the umbrellas aimed at your eyes.

Which reminds me, watching Chinese people freak out trying to work out how to get around wet patches on the floor is always good fun. It's not even puddles, just a slight damp patch will do and it breaks their pathfinding abilities which barely exist to begin with.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Korean Ladies Night - Carnival Evening

It was late May and spring was transitioning into Summer, so all of the outdoor things that one could do in Korea were being dusted off and opened (outdoor kiosks, driving ranges, batting cages, and the little markets and carnival style gaming booths one can find in every Korean city). It was the week after the first ladies night and I was invited to go out with them for Dakgalbi. We showed up earlier than expected (7:00pm) because nobody that night had to do much extra work for the male teachers. The 8 or 9 of us sit around the table and dig in to the deliciously spicy mix of cabbage, cheese, chicken, sweet potato, garaeddeok, and actually spicy sauce (legit spicy, not typical Korean spicy).

Due to the extra-spiciness of the dish (they must have screwed up the red-pepper flake ratio because I had never before or since had it that spicy) the 8 of us managed to make it through 4 pitchers of beer by the time we were done and were all half in the bag before we even made it to the bar. We leave the restaraunt and go to a soju-cocktail bar (after I stop by a family mart and pick up two bottle of soju) and find a booth big enough for all of us (I love that Korea has no shortage of massive booths in their eateries and drinking establishments). After we each take a glass off the top of the 4 pitchers, I divide the two bottles between the pictures and top them up with more soju. The ladies all gave me a pat on the back and thumbs up saying, "Blistex teacher, you are a real Korean now". We down the pictures and head outside towards the now-active carnival area.

**A little description so I don't have to waste a lot of time explaining during the story**

The carnival area are a bunch of booths and kiosks set up in this vacant area of town that have the typical things that you would find in a carnival (booths to buy crappy toys/stuffed animals/trinkets, snack vendors, games like knocking over bottles, darts, roulette, shooting galleries, all of which have prizes. There were also batting cages, trampolines, and some other things I can't remember. This was opened up right before summer, and would close near the end of September, so it was a semi-permanent thing.

Back to the story: So we're all stumbling around this carnival, and the women start to revert to "date mode" and start asking me to win them prizes. I'm pretty garbage at a lot of these games, especially when drunk, so I was not doing so well until I got to the shooting range. Basically they take a really high-quality airsoft gun, and have you shoot these flip-down targets of varying size. They have a variety of guns to choose from and I pick up the SG 550 because I have shot the real thing in Canada. After the first few rounds I notice I'm not hitting anything and check the rear sight which has been dialled all the way to the right, and is shooting a few inches to the left. I start to re-alight the sight and managed to do well. I opt to not go up the ladder (time limited games) and instead get all of the ladies the intro tiny-teddy bears which they all freak out about and think is the greatest thing. I got a hug and a kiss from each of them when they were presented with the present, and this got some butthurt Korean guys pissed. Before I know it these three Korean guys in their late 20's run up to the ladies and start trying to shame them, saying that I am just trying to give them AIDS and that they are bringing shame to their country. The girls are well passed drunk at this point and the oldest one walks up to the youngest guy, slaps him across the face, and tells him to go home before I stomp on his head. (at the time I had no idea what was going on). This was my first experience with pissed Korean men interacting with foreigners hanging around Korean women, but not my last since my wife and I spend a year in Korea two years later and most people assumed she was Korean, and on a few occasions gave us trouble.

So we walk by the batting cages and I decide that I want to try them out. Being drunk, and the fact that they are set by default to 85mph I was not doing so well until the girls asked the guy running the cages to turn it down for me. After a few solid hits, one of the girls decides to try since she played baseball in high school. After a few decent hits and foul balls, she does a big swing and a miss and rips the rear end right out of her skirt. This must be a pretty common thing to happen in Korea because the other girls swoop in with a jacket and an emergency sewing kit and re-sew it while she is still wearing the thing. We start walking back to the school which is at the end of a pretty quiet and dimly lit street and the other girls start to tease the girl who ripped her skirt (in good nature, not in a mean way).

"Blistex teacher, what did you think of Kim's panties. . . much too sexy for a teacher, right?" I replied that I knew all of them were wearing thongs already, which elicited a bunch of excited/embarrassed squeals from them. They asked how I knew, and I told them that thongs don't show panty lines, and all of them were wearing tight skirts. They all fake-shamed me for noticing, and I joked that I even knew that hers would be black. This prompted them to ask me the colours of their panties to which I agreed, and one by one I guessed them all right. (they would pull their skirts down a little to show off the top of their underwear, but one teacher was wearing a one-piece dress and had to pulls hers up). Finally when they were all done, they asked me how I knew the colours, and I told them I just noted the colour of their bra straps and assumed they liked to match. They chimed, "Ohhh, Blistex teacher you are so smart! (in a Sarcastic tone)" and then accused me of manipulating them to start this game. They started to guess what colour underwear I was wearing, and after finally guessed the correct colour I full-on dropped my pants to the ground which elicited a bunch of squeals, then a disappointed "awwwww". (I wear boxer shorts). They assumed that I was wearing the bikini-style underwear that Korean men wear, and playfully criticized me for not playing fair and letting them see "my pepper" (which became a re-occurring theme, and came to a head at one point)

The biggest difference I found between Korean men and Korean women when going out and drinking is that most Korean men have a massive insecurity complex, and will either get embarrassingly "you are so great" or get really passive aggressive. Korean women on the other hand seem to just let everything out and use it as an excuse to let loose no matter who you are. When a Korean man and woman start dating, there are a lot of rules and procedures to follow, which both parties see as being painfully long, boring and expensive (for the guy). When they go through the proper procedures, a Korean guy might have to wait two or more months before getting a kiss, and having to spend upwards of a million won in the process. Sex might not happen for another six months to a year, or not until after the wedding because both sides know they should be upholding tradition. When a Korean hooks up with a foreigner, all of that can go out the window and they can skip to the good stuff if they so choose because they know the rules don't apply in this situation. This is another reason why Korean men get so pissed at foreign men, because they can have one night stands with Korean women and have sex without the many months of waiting and blowing money. The girls that I was working with at the time and hanging out with were super-super flirty with me, and would do things they would rather die than let a Korean man know/see, because we all knew that a relationship was never going to happen, and that I was not in the same social circles as their friends, co-workers, or families.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love that Irish lady who didn't even drink who got a job offer taken away from her in Korea when they found out she was Irish because the Irish are all out of control drunks and a fine Korean school would never hire a drunk.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

this thread is racist and misogynist in the most shallow buzzfeed thought police kind of way

like those damage control emails from your university about how we should be more accepting and tolerant of international students because the saudi ones keep raping people

We should listen to this guy's judgement about what's racist, everyone.

Also this thread is more misandrist than anything.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Korea's Women's liberation movement can't come soon enough :smith:

It's happening right now.

Unfortunately they are up against the aforementioned societal norms and a men's rights movement that makes makes the reddit fedora-havers look quaint.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Let's go to north corea

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

dubzee posted:

Unfortunately they are up against the aforementioned societal norms and a men's rights movement that makes makes the reddit fedora-havers look quaint.

from wikipedia:

huh

well gee i guess that must be accurate

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

School Nickname posted:

It's probably distilled from fermented horse urine, it definitely tastes the part and the hangovers attest to that as well.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Fututor Magnus posted:

It's probably distilled from fermented horse urine, it definitely tastes the part and the hangovers attest to that as well.

Makes me wonder how much methanol contamination is going on with these soju distillers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fututor Magnus posted:

We should listen to this guy's judgement about what's racist, everyone.

Also this thread is more misandrist than anything.

He's right so it's fine to listen to his opinion on this. By all means though, people are welcome to tilt at windmills to their heart's content, so long as it's done silently.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Makes me wonder how much methanol contamination is going on with these soju distillers.

Some old Korean guys will pour a cap or two full of soju off the top of the bottle before drinking. This harkens back to the days when there were significant amounts of formaldehyde in Soju, so you'd get rid of it by pouring off the top inch from the bottle.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Blistex posted:

Some old Korean guys will pour a cap or two full of soju off the top of the bottle before drinking. This harkens back to the days when there were significant amounts of formaldehyde in Soju, so you'd get rid of it by pouring off the top inch from the bottle.

This makes the "Americans polluting our rivers :argh:" bit in The Host pretty :ironicat: now that I think about it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
This article seems relevant to the current racism discussion:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/10/21/i-went-back-to-china-and-felt-more-american-than-ever-hong-kong-race-relations/

quote:

My mother, who had moved from Shanghai to Hong Kong to the United States, was distraught: “Why do you want to go back there?”

But much, I insisted, had changed. The mainland wasn’t the Mao-era hot mess she’d left behind; the 2008 Beijing Olympics painted a glorious image of a new Middle Kingdom, and Lehman Brothers’ collapse that same summer foretold an ominous future for the United States. Out in the dizzying economic rise of the Wild Wild East, opportunities abounded for those willing to work in a globalizing China, particularly in Hong Kong, which billed itself as “Asia’s world city” and was also deepening ties with the mainland.

What I didn’t tell my mother was that my desire to leave was primarily motivated by the possibility of escaping the unfriendly U.S. racial climate. In Asia, I wouldn’t have to deal with being “Asian.” I wouldn’t be a minority, much less a model one. For once, I was certain, my race wouldn’t matter.

You can figure out what happens then

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Phew, looks like the USA is not actually racist after all and no one in this thread is racist either.

Also lol

quote:

Neither could I unlearn the promises of equality that I’d repeated every time I took the Pledge of Allegiance.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Are Asian Americans in the USA discriminated against beyond stereotypical 'Oh you're Asian? What part? Do you eat noodles? Ok cool, well anyway...'

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
yes

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Outrail posted:

Are Asian Americans in the USA discriminated against beyond stereotypical 'Oh you're Asian? What part? Do you eat noodles? Ok cool, well anyway...'

No; there is a pledge of equality that every American takes.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

All Americans have equally stereotypical tiny penises.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

THE PWNER posted:

Phew, looks like the USA is not actually racist after all and no one in this thread is racist either.

Also lol

Yeah, that was the point of the text and not that US is racist but china is turbo racist

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

THE PWNER posted:

AMERICA: Our worst critics prefer to stay.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blistex posted:

I have a few more stories about other Ladies Nights

I loving hope so because your stories so far are lame as poo poo

Blistex posted:

Korean guy might have to wait two or more months before getting a kiss, and having to spend upwards of a million won in the process. Sex might not happen for another six months to a year, or not until after the wedding because both sides know they should be upholding tradition.

maybe like 50 years ago, but I can assure you that younger koreans are loving each other all the time

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nerdz posted:

This article seems relevant to the current racism discussion:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/10/21/i-went-back-to-china-and-felt-more-american-than-ever-hong-kong-race-relations/

You can figure out what happens then

interesting read, thanks for posting

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought the stories were entertaining. Not "this makes the thread" level, but Canadians levels of exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ladron posted:

I loving hope so because your stories so far are lame as poo poo

Ok, I'll let everyone resume race chat.

• Locked thread