Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The type effectiveness being listed is a brilliant little quality of life touch. We have so many dual types that its easy to forget just what would work on any given Pokemon, especially if it something I hadn't seen before.

Now if only they could balance the types a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I actually want to see a gen start with you in school. Your required tutorial will be you passing the final exam for your trainer license with some easy questions and a rental battle with a taste of power before choosing your actual starter and striking out on your own. It'd show that the whole trainer system has some organization behind it and be a nice change of pace from being just some fatherless kid with no education leaving their mother right after moving to a new three-building "town" on a whim once more. We have all these trainer schools around, might as well actually use one for once. Plus, it'd be a great way to establish some other characters to act as the required friends and rivals rather than just assigning you a group of clingy losers like last gen. The potential of the next tree-based Professor living up to their title for teaching and justifying why they trust this random kid to aid them while passing out a free super-rare pokemon would be nice as well.

I'm seriously surprised they never thought of doing that kind of intro in 20 years.

hey now, you have a dad in RSE

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mandatory lesbian posted:

hey now, you have a dad in RSE

A dad who lives in another town and never once comes home for no apparent reason.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Geostomp posted:

A dad who lives in another town and never once comes home for no apparent reason.

He gives you the ticket (or was it the Amulet Coin?) after you become champion. :colbert:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Geostomp posted:

He has to work beating the poo poo out of children's pets with gorilla-sloths. Your lame rear end ain't bringing any money home.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

I actually want to see a gen start with you in school. Your required tutorial will be you passing the final exam for your trainer license with some easy questions and a rental battle with a taste of power before choosing your actual starter and striking out on your own. It'd show that the whole trainer system has some organization behind it and be a nice change of pace from being just some fatherless kid with no education leaving their mother right after moving to a new three-building "town" on a whim once more. We have all these trainer schools around, might as well actually use one for once. Plus, it'd be a great way to establish some other characters to act as the required friends and rivals rather than just assigning you a group of clingy losers like last gen. The potential of the next tree-based Professor living up to their title for teaching and justifying why they trust this random kid to aid them while passing out a free super-rare pokemon would be nice as well.

I'm seriously surprised they never thought of doing that kind of intro in 20 years.

They kinda do this in XD, though you're more a kid running around in a pokemon lab because your mom works there and get some incidental exposition. They do have the higher level rental battle tho, and a lot of cool simulated puzzle battles to teach you about stuff like accuracy etc.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

There was a type chart in FR/LG in the help menu system. But if you enabled L=A you couldn't get to it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Geostomp posted:

I got so loving pissed that in the ending/delta episode, he visited mom but spent the whole night watching poo poo on netflix and then casually dropping that he won't make their date at the loving Meteor Shower.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

AlphaKretin posted:

He gives you the ticket (or was it the Amulet Coin?) after you become champion. :colbert:
He gives you tickets to watch a meteor shower that were intended for him and your mother. Norman is a huge abusive deadbeat of a dad.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I was thinking of the boat ticket in original RSE. :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The effectivness being shown in the battle menu is a step further of what I always wanted to have in the game, the ability to just whip out the pokedex in battle and check the info on the opposing pokemon. Like the type at least.

Color schemes stopped being a good way to get type info somewhere around Unova.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kikas posted:

The effectivness being shown in the battle menu is a step further of what I always wanted to have in the game, the ability to just whip out the pokedex in battle and check the info on the opposing pokemon. Like the type at least.

Color schemes stopped being a good way to get type info somewhere around Unova.

You only get typings in the pokedex if you've actually caught the pokemon though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The new "effective" thing actually works that way too, only shows up once you caught the pokemon.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Avalerion posted:

The new "effective" thing actually works that way too, only shows up once you caught the pokemon.

This isn't true in the demo at least. Maybe after you defeat it for the first time or something but it's not catching them that does it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hm, could be actually using the moves on them? I know it wasn't there at times and was at others.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
The second time you encounter the pokemon you can determine move effectiveness. That's all there is to it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Chibs posted:

The ~mysterious old man~ came back when I went to his area again. They didn't give me anything, but the game saved again right after.

very curious . . . or possibly nothing

He has at least five lines for going back to him. It's pretty great.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Boomstick Quaid posted:

The second time you encounter the pokemon you can determine move effectiveness. That's all there is to it.

Nice. This is a good way of doing it. Also I love this feature because I always forget how Fighting vs Ghost works, and quite often mentally reverse how Psychic vs Poison works.

I'd love to be able to start off with "Hard/Normal/Easy" right after you select your appearance but this is very much a "wish in one hand and poo poo in the other" thing. I'd rather have kept dress-up; there's plenty of ways to make the game harder for yourself. Last gen I think I hit a good balance with "team of 4 plus two HM/catching whores, and do my best not to overlevel anyone".

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, he's not wrong.

They haven't done a third version since 2008.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Nice. This is a good way of doing it. Also I love this feature because I always forget how Fighting vs Ghost works, and quite often mentally reverse how Psychic vs Poison works.

I'd love to be able to start off with "Hard/Normal/Easy" right after you select your appearance but this is very much a "wish in one hand and poo poo in the other" thing. I'd rather have kept dress-up; there's plenty of ways to make the game harder for yourself. Last gen I think I hit a good balance with "team of 4 plus two HM/catching whores, and do my best not to overlevel anyone".

Good news is no HMs at all any more this gen. And we kept Dress-up.

Nevermore will I have to sully a team with 1 or 2 water types because there are between 1 and 3 Water HMs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'll play through SM with no water or flying types to celebrate Poke Rides :3:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like water types...that water spider is gonna be on my team no questions asked

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

i like water types...that water spider is gonna be on my team no questions asked

I like some water types, but like sometimes you want to make a party without one you know?

Also some water types can't Surf/Waterfall/Whirpool and then you had to use 2 water types.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

:same:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'll play through SM with no water or flying types to celebrate Poke Rides :3:

Flying types are awesome, though! So much diversity in that type because only Tornadus is a pure Flying type. Makes them versatile and really different from one evolution family to the next. I'd probably tell people Fire is my favorite type, but Flying types have the largest number of Pokémon I'd consider cool.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 24, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Every team should have a water type.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Every team should have a water type.

Friend, we are entering a brave new world now.

Where water types are optional and Tropius is totally useless.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zore posted:

and Tropius is totally useless.

That sure would be a crazy zany topsy-turvy world, ha ha. Of course Tropius is actually insanely good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hammerite posted:

That sure would be a crazy zany topsy-turvy world, ha ha. Of course Tropius is actually insanely good

at being an HM slave

which isn't a thing that exists any more

ditto; Bibarel,

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Zore posted:

Where water types are optional and Tropius is totally useless.

Tropius will always be my horde battling buddy with which I train everybody else. He's like the Pokemon version of the old guy from Rocky, the old master from Karate Kid, and several other pop culture trainers whose names I can't remember in the slightest.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

well now we know what happened to Fat Pikachu

http://www.pokemon.jp/special/kairiky_gym/training/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Keiya posted:

They haven't done a third version since 2008.

I count Black and white 2 as a third version, and I actually think Y and X badly needed a third version.

Third versions are good, I like them.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Has Pokémon ever stuck with a standard routine release regarding their games?

Gen 1 had different game releases depending on the region: Japan had Red and Green, then later a Blue version and then a Yellow version. The rest of the world had Red and Blue (which was a mashup of Red and Green with elements of Blue) and then the Yellow version.

Gen 2 had Gold and Silver and then released Crystal afterward.

Gen 3 had Ruby and Sapphire, then they introduced remakes of the Japanese Gen 1 games. Then Emerald.

Gen 4 Diamond and Pearl, then they made Platinum before introducing the Gen 2 remakes.

Gen 5 had Black and White, then direct sequels in Black 2 and White 2.

Gen 6 had X and Y and later, Gen 3 remakes but no third version.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

I like some water types, but like sometimes you want to make a party without one you know?

no, i don't

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

McDragon posted:

machamp point at he dick and rear end

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

McDragon posted:

Why does the Machamp keep pointing at its' crotch?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why does the Machamp keep pointing at its' crotch?

I think you know the answer to that :getin:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What did Blue add, other than updated sprites? Last minute bug fixes?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What did Blue add, other than updated sprites? Last minute bug fixes?

Yeah, the original Red/Green had some amazing bugs that never made it over

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I#Japanese_Red.2C_Green.2C_and_Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I count Black and white 2 as a third version

They're neither one game nor just re-release with added features. They're just normal sequels.