Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

thatguy posted:

So did we ever find out if Ben can legally post the cels online?

I think so. VEI (owner of the distribution rights) sent him a free case of dvds with audio issues for his campaign.

MilesK fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MilesK posted:

I think so. VEI (owner of the distribution rights) sent him a free case of dvds with audio issues for his campaign.

And a public service reminder, all 13 episodes of WCA are on Youtube for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWZiEBJpt0

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lazrin posted:

that's not the definition of procedural generation. has nothing to do if it's on the fly or not.

What are you even on about? No-one mentioned anything about definitions — just that you are demonstrably clueless about what it is and how it's used.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

SomethingJones posted:

Here is a transcript showing Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan bumbling and LYING their way through a question about procedural generation:

We've since been shown that planets are NOT generated from a seed, that there is NO procedural generation happening on the fly, and Chris Roberts himself is now on the record saying they use "artist driven procedural tools"

So the question comes up in May, and Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan categorically lied in the answer. Pay close attention to Forrest Stephan, he hasn't got a loving clue, NOT ONE CLUE what he's talking about. Mumbling about seeds and multiple seeds, and when they kick in.

Of course the reason they talked up the procedural generation is because of the NMS hype.

There is NO procedural generation, it's a big loving Cry level, and it isn't anywhere near the client nor imo is it ever likely to be. It's just another tool to raise money, like Ben.

10 for the Developers: Episode 08
May 2, 2016

@ 01:13
Q: Given that procedural planets are generated from a seed, if we go down to a planet and mine and mine a location and it becomes depleted, what happens after we leave?

Sean Tracy: 
Well it's a awesome question and uh first things first, just wanted to explain cos I...I tend ehr... uhm, end up answering a lotta questions related to the procedural planet STUFF, but, ah-th...the BIG BRAINS that are really working on the procedural planet TECHNOLOGY are all within FRANKFURT so ah, guys like Marco Corbetta, Carson Wenschell, Sasha Holba, um... Pascal Mueller... they're all working... pretty much full time on the procedural planets, now we get a lot of oversight on them, we've gotta blend them into the game, ah, where they're working on the tech so... um, just CONSIDER THAT when I answer any questions regarding it, is that YEAH, I'm... I'm trying to represent as best I can...

Forrest Stephan:
We just get to PLAY WITH IT, right? But they're driving all the tugs

Sean Tracy: 
Yeah that's right they're driving everything that goes through SO... *COUGH* to get to the actual QUESTION, uhm... it...it...it...it's a REALLY GOOD QUESTION because yes, the planets are generated from a SEED but consider that our game is MULTIPLAYER, uhm, we can't generate a different seed for every single player that goes down to the planet so, uhm, me and FORREST can't be flying towards a PLANET, he sees a MOUNTAIN, I don't see a MOUNTAIN, I end up flying through it or whatever

Forrest Stephan:
Right. Yeah.

Sean Tracy:
Uhm, so that's already going to be kind of SET IN STONE so when we generate this planet ORIGINALLY, uhm, as a developer YES we will have a SEED, uhm... but once you see it as a player, you're always gonna see the same thing. NOW... when it comes down to actually permanently altering the surface of it... what's LIKELY to happen is that when we doo-doo mining it's gonna be... it...it's gonna be another OBJECT on top of the planet 

Forrest Stephan:
Right.

Sean Tracy:
It's not gonna be the planet ITSELF, ahm, so NO you probably won't ALTER the actual planet geometry itself, or...or... any of the seeds related to it but you'll alter a different OBJECT that's placed on top of the planet so, just to give a really, you know, OUT THERE EXAMPLE you've got a BIG BLOCK O' ICE right, that BIG BLOCK O' ICE is sittin' there on a planet, you FLY DOWN, you're mining... WATER outta the ICE let's say... that ICE disappears, now the QUESTION IS, will that ICE then REGENERATE? Well it's... it's a DESIGN QUESTION it's really gonna be up to the des...designers, there's no TECHNICAL reason why it can't, ah but LIKELY BE what's gonna be happening is that we've got an AREA of ICE, right

Forrest Stephan:
Right.

Sean Tracy:
It's gonna be a certain number of MINERALS within a certain...eh-uh PRETTY LARGE AREA, uhm... and you're not gonna get the exact same ICE BLOCK in the exact same...

Forrest Stephan:
I THINK THAT'S WHEN THE SEED KICKS IN RIGHT so you know it's not you got the initial planet generated but then the object's on the planet that you're mining itself maybe those have you know multiple seeds so when it regenerates itself if it regenerates itself which I don't know why not that would be the kind of

Sean Tracy:
And that's something that we wanna control because it's really important that we control the COMMODITIES within our world

Forrest Stephan:
RIGHT which affects the economics of the whole thing yeah

Sean Tracy:
Exactly. So. You know, it's kind of a long answer to whether it regenerates or not... I would say NO IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY REGENERATE but... It would be SOMEWHERE ELSE, ah...

Forrest Stephan:
Right.

Sean Tracy:
But the seeds are all... SHARED... so everybody will see the same thing.

Forrest Stephan:
Exactly.

:psyduck: It's like listening to a 3 year old asked to explain the Debt Ceiling.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lazrin posted:

they are matter-of-factly using procedural tech to generate the planets... yes, the terrain... and stream it to the client as needed. just like elite, just like nms.

You dumb gently caress. Can you even imagine the amount of data that would be needed to stream a complete huge-rear end planet in Elite?

CIG is planning to use a hybrid approach where they use some procedural stuff to generate areas on the planet, and then add custom stuff on top of those that will have to be saved as a map file and stored in the clients hard drive.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
procedural streaming dynamic pipelines yo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BitBasher posted:

:psyduck: It's like listening to a 3 year old asked to explain the Debt Ceiling.

You're being very disrespectful of the capabilities of 3-year-olds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Seriously though if I had to choose between VaH or watching Ben msturbate over the WCA cartoon I'd take a page out of KC's playbook.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It seems like Lazrin... might not understand games development.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Game gonna take up so much loving space and yet contain so little space.

It's like a zen koan.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen works a lot like youtube

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Lazrin posted:

that's not the definition of procedural generation. has nothing to do if it's on the fly or not.

Here's a loving flowchart to help you understand the point -

1. Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan tell everyone in a developer video in May that they are generating planets from seeds. Generating. From seeds. In the client. This is in the same family of tech as Elite and NMS.

->

2. Chris Roberts tells everyone in October that they are using "artist driven procedural tools" to build the planets. This is not in the same family of tech as Elite and NMS, this is the same family as Skyrim.

->

3. One of these things is procedural generation, and the other is not, here is how to tell the difference:

Procedural Generation:
Programmer builds algorithm, artist builds assets. Algorithm builds planet.

Not Procedural Generation:
Programmer builds tools, artist builds assets. Artist uses tools to build planet.

The clue is in the word "generation", to generate or create. The primary advantage to procedural generation on the fly is that you don't have to store the data for 68 gazillion planets. Elite could generate and store those planets if it wanted to, and it would still be procedural generation cos they were like generated procedurally or something

Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan talking about generating planets from seeds, SPECIFICALLY talking about each client getting the seed is directly contradictory to what CIG has now demonstrated and announced it is doing. That's the point, that is why their Procedural generation tech R&D stretch goal is demonstrably not fulfilled and is just another item on a big long list of complete and utter bullshit designed to part the gullible from their money.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
New patcher downloads nothing at all cos all that poo poo is all streamed these days

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Loading Big Bennies now buffering

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lazrin posted:

Yeah, it gets generated at some point by the client from a seed without the need to stream data. This is almost always done in real time when you visit a new procedurally generated area but that's in fact not a requirement.

I still remember all the data that had to be steamed to my commodore64 to play the original Elite.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen works a lot like youtube

Terrible retards with no business infront of a camera making money off of uglier, stupider retards? Yeah, i see it

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well you see Star Citizen's planet-making process is revolutionary because

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Full Buffer Under Run,
kicking it to overdrive
Full Buffer Under Run,
Soon I'll be by your side

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

trucutru posted:

Yeah, it gets generated at some point by the client from a seed without the need to stream data. This is almost always done in real time when you visit a new procedurally generated area but that's in fact not a requirement.

I still remember all the data that had to be steamed to my commodore64 to play the original Elite.

Count yourself lucky, this cassette that I used to stream all 8 galaxies into the Spectrum version of Elite was the size of a small village in Shropshire.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Prodecurally generated islands in the stream

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

Count yourself lucky, this cassette that I used to stream all 8 galaxies into the Spectrum version of Elite was the size of a small village in Shropshire.

I had to stream my galaxies from a server in germany over the telegraph line to get this:

I don't even speak german. I mean Bevölkerung? gently caress you Elite! (That's why I am supporting star citizen, you see).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Some people say that on a quiet night you can still hear him streaming to this very day...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lazrin posted:

they are matter-of-factly using procedural tech to generate the planets... yes, the terrain... and stream it to the client as needed. just like elite, just like nms.

Oh Lazrin, you poor dumb slut.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 24, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

The one thing that I wish was better understood all round is the procedural generation. There isn't any. CIG are not doing any procedural generation, anywhere, ever. They are building levels, using traditional techniques, stored in the traditional way. Algorithms to place trees and landscapes etc have existed for decades.

Speedtree is one that springs to mind. Scaleform handles mesh degradation, doesn't it?

Yeah, I'm with you there. They've shown a convincing demonstration of what they want to do with procedural generation with tiling. ie there's no procedural generation going on.

Not quoting the transcript because they're actually pretty honest. multiplayer procedural generation doesn't work without storing deformations, because the modifications deviated from the seeded 'build', meaning that over time you diverge more and more from the generated landscape to one that contains a bunch of carved dickbutts and large neon pink discotheques plonked onto the surface.

Talking about placing structures and objects after procedural generation is essentially just adding blobjects afterwards, and that requires a lot more storage than generation.

scrubs season six posted:

Oh Lazrin, you poor dumb slut.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

Tippis posted:

What are you even on about? No-one mentioned anything about definitions — just that you are demonstrably clueless about what it is and how it's used.

what you said is incorrect. you asked why. i gave you an answer that you didn't like.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

Here's a tip for not looking like an idiot friend: don't post

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think MoMA should be made the second mod of this subforum.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lazrin posted:

what you said is incorrect. you asked why. i gave you an answer that you didn't like.

Please explain how the PG in SC is just like NMS and ED and what precisely is being streamed from where and to where for all three games. tia

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Its really not a question of "how" they are using PG... its a matter of "why the gently caress are they devoting so many resources to it in the first place".

Its a space game where landing on planets was never even a stretch goal. Yet somehow they decided to put in planetary landing before getting ship combat working, or dynamic missions, loading cargo, or even being able to buy/sell stuff.

SC is slowly turning into an FPS game, and I'm going to laugh my rear end off when the SQ42 "prequel" or whatever short demo they are pushing out is FPS combat only.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Is Star Citizen going to have procedurally generated weather patterns, NPC daily schedules , building interiors, and forests, like Shenmue did in 1999?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Chris is desperately trying to emulate the Silicon Valley shell game

generate hype for your brand
get funding
get bought out for 1.3 Instagram
Worry about delivering something even remotely complete

Prioritized top to bottom

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MilesK posted:

Is Star Citizen going to have procedurally generated weather patterns, NPC daily schedules , building interiors, and forests, like Shenmue did in 1999?

The answer to "Will Star Citizen" is always yes unless the next word is release

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I disagree, MoMA doesn't even play the game

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

We've since been shown that planets are NOT generated from a seed, that there is NO procedural generation happening on the fly, and Chris Roberts himself is now on the record saying they use "artist driven procedural tools"

Lets be fair, their process as they have described (probably a lie) is the following:

1) They create a planet with the desired basic characteristics: Size, type, distance from the sun, rotation speed etc.
2) Then an artist marks different regions of the planet. This area is an ocean, this area is a desert, this other area a forest and so on.
3) A procedural algorithm is used to fill those areas with the appropriate biome stuff and poo poo like that. Multiple seeds are used for each region until the artist finds the ones that look fine. Now, the seeds and the info on the areas they create can be stored in a very small amount of space and can be used to recreate this step at the client's PC. This is indeed procedural generation. Not complete zero-to-planet stuff but procedural generation nonetheless.
4) The artists add more fine-grained stuff to the different areas on the planet, plop buildings and crabs and poo poo. All this is then saved as a map file giga or terabytes in size and given to the client once. The client can then drop all this poo poo on top of what was generated on step 3.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

The answer to "Will Star Citizen" is always yes unless the next word is release

What about "Will Star Citizen release a bunch of broken poo poo and promo videos?"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MilesK posted:

What about "Will Star Citizen release a bunch of broken poo poo and promo videos?"

When you play gotcha, everyone loses.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

Suck my poopsicle lazrin-chan

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

Its really not a question of "how" they are using PG... its a matter of "why the gently caress are they devoting so many resources to it in the first place".

Its a space game where landing on planets was never even a stretch goal. Yet somehow they decided to put in planetary landing before getting ship combat working, or dynamic missions, loading cargo, or even being able to buy/sell stuff.

SC is slowly turning into an FPS game, and I'm going to laugh my rear end off when the SQ42 "prequel" or whatever short demo they are pushing out is FPS combat only.

Fps is just as broken as ship combat though? Maybe more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

trucutru posted:

Lets be fair, their process as they have described (probably a lie) is the following:

1) They create a planet with the desired basic characteristics: Size, type, distance from the sun, rotation speed etc.
2) Then an artist marks different regions of the planet. This area is an ocean, this area is a desert, this other area a forest and so on.
3) A procedural algorithm is used to fill those areas with the appropriate biome stuff and poo poo like that. Multiple seeds are used for each region until the artist finds the ones that look fine. Now, the seeds and the info on the areas they create can be stored in a very small amount of space and can be used to recreate this step at the client's PC. This is indeed procedural generation. Not complete zero-to-planet stuff but procedural generation nonetheless.
4) The artists add more fine-grained stuff to the different areas on the planet, plop buildings and crabs and poo poo. All this is then saved as a map file giga or terabytes in size and given to the client once. The client can then drop all this poo poo on top of what was generated on step 3.

Using procedural techniques to fill in areas from a seed? Yep, that would be a pretty cool use of procedural generation. What Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan described though, isn't that. They described (poorly) a clunky version what Elite Dangerous does, which turns out in fact to have nothing to do with what they are actually doing anyway.

Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan describe the client generating the planet from a seed, with hand placed areas of interest on it, during a time when NMS procedural generation hype was at a peak. Chris Roberts then describes and shows "artist driven procedural tools" after NMS procedural generation hype waned.

Putting procedural generation to one side for a moment, I'm looking for the quotes where one of these guys said a few months ago that they were able to get the mocap data into the engine with "two clicks".

I'm going to dig it out and post it in the thread so that the CIG devs who read the thread and are fighting with mocap data can have a good old chuckle.

• Locked thread