Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Haven't played it myself, but comments suggest that it's a pretty decent chunk of game, like 10+ hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chapters are 2-3 hours long, but the first is just plot and tutorials.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remembered today that i have this webm and i don't know if i ever posted it in here

https://a.pomf.cat/etpebf.webm

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Second McBurn fight is such goddamn bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crabtree posted:

The Second McBurn fight is such goddamn bullshit.
Give Elliot the Angel Master Quartz, have him insta-res everybody with his healing S-Craft when McBurn pops his s-craft.

Alt, have someone cast Artemis' Tears, you can usually just barely survive his s-craft with the 200% HP thing.

I believe McBurn's set to S-Craft at 50% and 25% hp so you only need to get through it twice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Spamming Arc Slash makes almost any fight infinitely more manageable.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

xanadu next's been dated for November 3rd

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

xanadu next's been dated for November 3rd

Dang, that's sooner than expected. I kind of like this "announce 2 weeks before release" thing they're doing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Spamming Arc Slash makes almost any fight infinitely more manageable.

I think it's funny that even when you get control over Rein's Magic Silver Hair Bullshit there's no reason ta all to use it because ti drains in like 3 turns and if you're spamming Arc Slash you're just wasting precious CP on it.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's funny that even when you get control over Rein's Magic Silver Hair Bullshit there's no reason ta all to use it because ti drains in like 3 turns and if you're spamming Arc Slash you're just wasting precious CP on it.

Hopefully, in CS3 it will work more like Valimar does. I can easily see dumping EP for it as a once per fight deal. Costing CP really made it kinda worthless.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Once I start an NG+ and get Megalith back up to level 5 I think I'll use Loewe Mode all the time, just because it's neat.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

How is Xanadu Next? Action rpgs like that are usually extremely my poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Actually, There's an item that increases CP gain by 60%. (True Gladiator Headband, I think?) Each hit of Arcane Gale, which he can only use in spirit unification, is affected by that. So he's only using 10 CP per arcane gale, since just hitting an enemy is giving him like 16 CP in that scenario. And if you have Rean stacked with Black Virtue, Impede 1, Impede 2, and the Zeus Gem, Arcane Gale gives him two rolls at all those delays. And Arcane Gale does like, 100 CP S-Craft damage since it's a class s craft that hits twice and you get a free +100% strength buff when using Spirit Unification. And the speed buff means that he'll get all three of his turns before the enemy gets one, even if only one delay lands. Spirit Unification is busted as gently caress, even moreso than spamming arc slash. Have someone cast impassion on Rean (which also stacks with the accessory that increases CP gain by 60%) and he can just spam it forever.

Spirit Unification's even worth using on random encounters, because True Gladiator Headband + Force + The Glitch that means that if the first hit of arcane gale kills, both hits of it give him the bonus CP from Force, means he can spirit unification, arcane gale, arcane gale again, and be right back up at 200 CP because he's getting 32-46 CP per enemy killed.

I'm pretty sure it buffs Termination Slash too, even moreso than just having a 2x strength buff on Rean normally, because if you can get him to 200 CP with spirit unification up (fairly simple with the lost art that gives everyone +100 CP) he oneshots most everything with it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 22, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Red Red Blue posted:

How is Xanadu Next? Action rpgs like that are usually extremely my poo poo

think diablo combat with most of the randomization in loot removed and replaced with a giant interlocking metroidy dungeon and equally metroid-y key item progression, with every new area of the dungeon having unique armor and weapon drops, and each weapon has a skill that can be learned from using it and tossed into a skill slot to stack with other weapon effects on other weapons. also, you progress through the dungeon by killing monsters and carving their bones into keys and skeletons have a higher bone drop rate than other monsters

also some of the best atmosphere in any falcom game ever made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDWjSbuA44

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 22, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Colonel posted:

each weapon has a skill that can be learned from using it and tossed into a skill slot to stack with other weapon effects on other weapons.
Kind of like Tales of Vesperia?

quote:

also some of the best atmosphere in any falcom game ever made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geDWjSbuA44
I love this track so much.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Well, all of that sounds pretty rad, can't wait for November

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Xanadu Next is very cool and, dare I say, good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think they might have removed the line you get for using the wrong escalator in Cold Steel 1 :saddowns: I can't get it to trigger.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Really Pants posted:

I think they might have removed the line you get for using the wrong escalator in Cold Steel 1 :saddowns: I can't get it to trigger.

Yeah, I'm almost positive they did unless you need Sharon or somebody else specific in the party to trigger it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I think you only get it the first time you see the escalators, because I triggered it then.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what's the game on the right?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its xanadu next

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wt_79vLlKs

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh, neat

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Decus posted:

Yeah, I'm almost positive they did unless you need Sharon or somebody else specific in the party to trigger it.

I think Sharon just gets ticked off if you just keep going up and down on the escalators, doesn't matter what direction you go in. The line for that triggers later when she's out of your party.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wish the ps4 version of tokyo xanadu was coming out here because the new character and side stories seem cool

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 23, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Scanning enemies is only needed for the trophy, right? Cause in Act 1 of Cold Steel 2 I can either get the boss duo at the fortress down to 30% for the AP bonus or scan the bomb things he throws out, but not both at once.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nate RFB posted:

Scanning enemies is only needed for the trophy, right? Cause in Act 1 of Cold Steel 2 I can either get the boss duo at the fortress down to 30% for the AP bonus or scan the bomb things he throws out, but not both at once.

Yeah, Scanning isn't needed for AP (though I think you do need enough enemy entries for something.) But If you retry a battle after losing, the scans are kept.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's more that I had one super lucky run of Criticals and was able to get the AP bonus and don't want to have to retry it.

I think the enemy entry thing, if it's at all like the one in Cold Steel 1, is just a requirement that you fight/defeat a number of enemies, not have them scanned.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, Scanning isn't needed for AP (though I think you do need enough enemy entries for something.) But If you retry a battle after losing, the scans are kept.

The entries don't have to be complete for what you're thinking of.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
you do need to scan if you want the trophy that comes with it, but you need two playthroughs to get all the trophies anyway I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Logicblade posted:

you do need to scan if you want the trophy that comes with it, but you need two playthroughs to get all the trophies anyway I think.

you need two playthroughs just to get the scan trophy anyway, since there's bosses that only show up on newgame+.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ng+ boss doesn't count for the trophy, you can get it in your first playthrough in the final chapter

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, the chest enemies don't count either so you can miss those.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I never even got the trophy for scanning in Cold Steel 1, it's just that the AP guides would usually say "hey this only shows up once, scan it!" and usually I'd do it because hey why not. In this case the fight was just too hard for me to really want to bother with it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I started Cold Steel last week and I'm pretty glad I played through Sky first.

The story and characters in Sky are fantastic, but I like the setting and all the modern improvements (graphics, combat, world map, etc.) more in Cold Steel. It'd be awkward going backward.

Meanwhile, now I get to play Cold Steel and then Cold Steel 2 and then Sky 3 and then Cold Steel 3. :3: Good times.

Also aside from the guaranteed fanfic about it, do Schera and Sara ever meet? Because they need to.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CS1, NG+ : Nord Highlands are considerably worse going through em a second time. I enjoyed the chapter my first time through, too.:qq:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Also aside from the guaranteed fanfic about it, do Schera and Sara ever meet? Because they need to.

They haven't yet but one of the bullet points that we know about Cold Steel 3 is that it will have many Sky cameos, so the dream is real.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I also get the Elliot / Egg Soup joke now. Is it game-breaking if I take full advantage of this? I feel like I should stop cheesing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

having unlimited money can be helpful since money is normally pretty sparse, but pretty much everything you can buy is gated by plot progress so there isn't anything really over powered you can do with cash