Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"Ma'am, are you sure you want her name to have so many Ys?"

"Y not?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
There's no list of accepted names here in Germany, but you still have to name your child something that's identifiable as a first name and also fits the gender. They relaxed the rules quite a bit in the last years and if you name your child something weird but give it a "normal" second name they accept it most of the times.
They accepted "Imperial-Purity" after all...

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Shai-Hulud posted:

They accepted "Imperial-Purity" after all...

:raise:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Wow yeah its almost like systems of oppression are often perpetuated by their victims or something.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

- a black person
- a black bear
- a white person

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

This has so many weird assumptions I can't even begin to process it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This has so many weird assumptions I can't even begin to process it.

"Black people are only acting like victims so that they can get ~reparations~ someday" must be a bigger meme in certain circles than I had realized.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

This woman's name is McKinli, so I guess she's just carrying on a proud family tradition.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Dogfish posted:

This woman's name is McKynlee, so I guess she's just carrying on a proud family tradition.

Fixed for accuracy

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lottery of Babylon posted:

finally went and deleted my facebook today.

my stupid friends wouldn't ever reply to my messages despite seein them and a girl i messaged how are you never replied the gently caress back. gently caress that bullshit fake friends site!.

Whomever said LoB's tiny glimpses of madness are the best ones was totally right. :allears:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I couldn't help but try to find the origin of that photo.

Turns out there were other names on her list:

It's like she stole a list of failed VW automobiles to use. "This is my daughter, Tiguanalisa"

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Oct 24, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Vote now folks. Don't let Obama have a chance to stop you on election day.
Yes vote now. I fear Obama will create a crisis on election day. Just vote now. Leave nothing to chance.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Some kid named Ted is gonna get his rear end kicked for his weird rear end no Y havin' name.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Posting this on your wall will get a lot of thread fodder. :allears:

It isn't an exclamation mark.

e: tbh, a lot of stuff about what people say about mathematics education really annoys me as an academic. Like people who dropped out of middle-school math complaining about Common Core.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

I have now loving idea. Maybe they gave the kid a pretty normal name too or something? In the end it comes down to the civil servant guy who gives out the birth certificate. If he thinks its fine then it gets a pass.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Vote now folks. Don't let Obama have a chance to stop you on election day.
Yes vote now. I fear Obama will create a crisis on election day. Just vote now. Leave nothing to chance.

Just write down the name of who you want to vote for on a piece of paper, stick in an envelope, write "THE WHITE HOUSE" on it, and drop it in the mail. Bam! you just voted!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

TinTower posted:

e: tbh, a lot of stuff about what people say about mathematics education really annoys me as an academic. Like people who dropped out of middle-school math complaining about Common Core.

Math is weird because there's so many people who just go "oh it's math, I can't do math, I won't even try to think about it." and even the easiest poo poo is insurmountable to them. I don't know what it is exactly about math but I see it all the time.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Algebra really fucks some people up.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

I love that KHAYLEIGH-HUNTYR sneaks in there at the end to show that this naming convention was by no means a whim

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

On the one hand a lot of African tribes throughout Western Africa (as well as central and east) have had slavery trading tradition for years, but nobody is saying that America invented slavery, or that other countries never contributed to slavery either. Therefore this person is a grade A moron.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fathis Munk posted:

Math is weird because there's so many people who just go "oh it's math, I can't do math, I won't even try to think about it." and even the easiest poo poo is insurmountable to them. I don't know what it is exactly about math but I see it all the time.

I was a math teacher. A lot of it is peers reinforcing this attitude (it's "cool" to say you hate math and don't understand it), and a lot of it is that we're constantly told math is hard. It's impossible to learn to do something you've already decided you can't learn to do. There are side issues of teaching algorithmic methods ("memorizing your multiplication tables" rather than really understanding how everything is related so you can just do it on the fly in your head), but the biggest barriers are the ones students, and their parents proudly bragging about how they can't help with that math homework, set up for themselves.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I was a math teacher. A lot of it is peers reinforcing this attitude (it's "cool" to say you hate math and don't understand it), and a lot of it is that we're constantly told math is hard. It's impossible to learn to do something you've already decided you can't learn to do. There are side issues of teaching algorithmic methods ("memorizing your multiplication tables" rather than really understanding how everything is related so you can just do it on the fly in your head), but the biggest barriers are the ones students, and their parents proudly bragging about how they can't help with that math homework, set up for themselves.

what a very math teacher way to look at the problem

"welp, nothing I can do, it's the students problem!"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TinTower posted:

But.... Oh ffs. What is even the point of that picture?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Alaois posted:

Except that's true? It's just one of those subjects that requires a eureka moment for each student. You can only present the material so many different ways, at a certain point the student needs to make the jump in understanding. That isn't going to happen if you go in assuming that is impossible.

I also directly acknowledged there are other related issues of teaching technique, with the specific example of algorithmic approach vs conceptual (which is an ENORMOUS debate I love having, just not here). I also taught at the high school level, so yeah, at that point there really isn't much you can do to fight against a decade of bad habits, bad attitude, and lack of prerequisite knowledge (math is unique in that there are true prereqs and things build linearly....you can fail biology and do great in physics, but you're not going to get very far in calculus if you failed algebra). Intervention needs to begin far earlier than senior year.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Alaois posted:

That's not what they said and nothing in that post was wrong?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

TotalLossBrain posted:

But.... Oh ffs. What is even the point of that picture?

I saw that

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Only 90's kids will remember having to keep cheat codes of a game that released in 2004 :psyduck:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
a buddy of mine has a 60 something coworker that is the constantly misinformed voice of the right on all his posts. she also apparently thinks anonymous is one person.

Maker Of Shoes has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Oct 24, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Martin Anonymous.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What are those buttons supposed to do, exactly?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Only 90's kids will remember having to keep cheat codes of a game that released in 2004 :psyduck:

Well you wouldn't be playing it if you were 1-4 years old when it came out to be fair

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Any more Ys in there and they'd be as well calling her loving Delilah.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Dreddout posted:

Fixed for accuracy

No, for real:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dogfish posted:

No, for real:

Titan. Lmao

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That Titan would have been better for the forums than whatever radium was cooking up, I'm sure.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

I tutor students for the ACT/SAT, so I'm used to looking at all these tricky problems with an eye for how solving them can help people think about math.

This one is dirty pool and it made me laugh out loud when I read the spoiler, because it well and truly got me. Well played.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Aramek posted:

Martin Anonymous.

The secret is out!!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Knormal posted:

What are those buttons supposed to do, exactly?
I don't know the origin of the original comic, but it's basically two mutually exclusive options where you need to choose one:

Sometimes they're funny, but they're very often poo poo, e.g.:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I wish my name irl was titan