Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

How are y'all feeling about Austin prop 1? I'm leaning against because I think the mayor is a moron and also I don't want to spend anymore money on roads.
haha come onnnn, no need to act like you live at windsor and expedition, Don

have you even seen this commercial? this is specifically driving me to the polls to vote for 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQuhSobrFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hate don zimmerman so much that i would vote for a $10b dedicated bike path from liberty hill to zilker just from spite

edit also regular use

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

corey is the dumber one in this exchange imo

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

i hate don zimmerman so much that i would vote for a $10b dedicated bike path from liberty hill to zilker just from spite

edit also regular use

Yea, we gotta get some road work done and while this particular transportation bond isn't what I would have chosen, it will help.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BiohazrD posted:

Without a left turn lane on south Lamar you would never be able to turn left.

That's the point. You shouldn't be turning left on a road with that heavy of traffic flow. Go past your destination and pull a U-turn at the next signalized intersection.

For Burnet they should probably just put a raised median from 45th to 2222.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah I live on burnet and it kind of sucks that you basically can't use the left lane during rush hour because some idiot is always trying to turn left.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah I live on burnet and it kind of sucks that you basically can't use the left lane during rush hour because some idiot is always trying to turn left.

And then another idiot going the other wants to turn left a few car lengths past the first idiot leading to two lines of cars backed up each blocking the left turners. Even if someone in the lines leaves a gap for the turning person to go there is no way for them to actually make it across because everyone coming the other way is funneling into the right lane to avoid the back-up. Or worse someone in a massive view-blocking SUV waves them through and the dumbass just goes and gets t-boned.

One thing I wish was included but I didn't see in the plans is for the busses to have dedicated bays so they can load/unload without blocking traffic.

Atahualpa posted:

(Incidentally, I'm curious: is pretty much everyone in this thread a city-dweller or is anyone else stuck out in a rural shithole like me?)

I grew up on a farm in very rural South Carolina, does that count for anything?

Also early voting has been open for 36 minutes now. Get your vote in!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I moved to Leander in the 80s, so was technically rural but the suburbs caught up to me. I'm living off 620 near Concordia right now, where I can go miles on my bike during rush hour, passing stopped traffic the whole way.

I'm interested in the bond's plan for 620 and 2222, they may make a mini flyover which would be appreciated. The best plan would be to extend 45 west, though.

Edit The closest early voting location is either Steiner ranch or spicewood springs. I'm hosed until election day I guess.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 24, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Everyone reading this post should be voting this election. Remember, early voting is much faster than election day voting.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

sorta crossposted from the USPOL thread, but I voted this morning at Austin City Hall ~8:30AM. Basically no line whatsoever, but it's not like anybody lives downtown, so probably hopefully not a good indicator. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

the UT academic center line isn't too bad

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Spacebump posted:

Everyone reading this post should be voting this election. Remember, early voting is much faster than election day voting.

In line at the moment actually. Guy at the door said it has been heavy this year.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Spacebump posted:

There's a part of me that's considering early voting and another part that wants to stand in gently caress-off long lines just to be able to complain about it. But then I live up in north Austin where there's plenty of white people and a mysterious lack of polling place issues.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone in north west Austin would recommend to go to McNeil High School, really really short lines there right now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Looks like the church down the road is a no-go for federal elections, so I'll have to slowly wither and die in a Randalls in Southwest Austin.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Gonna try the Ben Hur Shrine later today; will report back on conditions.

E: went at noon, had to wait about 20 mins but it was lunch time so it's probably not so bad at other times

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 24, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WAIT!! BEFORE YOU VOTE

the texas supreme court place 9 race is interesting. the republican is a regular texas republican (but latina) and the democrat is both highly unintelligent and out to enrich herself through specific rulings

the libertarian made this video, so i may actually have to split my ticket this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_SAoNBZJE

NSFW

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLTW-KLdHA

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What the gently caress did I just watch.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Re: Austin roads, I don't care about bus lanes, but pockets for bus stops would be nice. Just like idiots block the left lane while trying to turn left, buses block the right lane at every god drat stop while they load/unload passengers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

That depends. Do you consider Bryan/College Station to be a city?

They added 10,000 people students in just the last 4 years so it seems they will be a city soon enough.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

WAIT!! BEFORE YOU VOTE

the texas supreme court place 9 race is interesting. the republican is a regular texas republican (but latina) and the democrat is both highly unintelligent and out to enrich herself through specific rulings

the libertarian made this video, so i may actually have to split my ticket this year

NSFW

also this

Is the republican Eva Guzman? I like her as much as I can like a republican, she's been very thoughtful on the death penalty.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

enraged_camel posted:

Re: Austin roads, I don't care about bus lanes, but pockets for bus stops would be nice. Just like idiots block the left lane while trying to turn left, buses block the right lane at every god drat stop while they load/unload passengers.

I heard they don't build those because it slows down bus service. People don't let the bus get back in to traffic once it has picked people up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

WAIT!! BEFORE YOU VOTE

NSFW

also this

I used to read through the League of Women's Voters guides and split my tickets based on them because you'd get races with, like, judge of 30 years running for the same judgeship he's held that whole time (R) vs. pig farmer with a mail-order law degree (D).

But the GOP has lately done a really good job of turning me into a hardcore partisan. I'll take the pig farmer these days.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Voting took an hour and twenty minutes today in Denton county. I got there at 11:20 though, so I figure I caught the start of the lunch breaks.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I got out and voted, y'all.

The first polling place I went to, the closest, is always a terrible mess with about 24 parking spaces total, many of which are taken by the poll workers. I finally gave up and drove up the road to the county annex and was in and out in fifteen minutes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I voted almost instantly in Pearland today but this was probably after the lunch breaks

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

blackguy32 posted:

I voted almost instantly in Pearland today but this was probably after the lunch breaks

oh hey, I used to live in Pearland. voting in Brazoria was a pain when I lived there so they must be doing something right now

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Standing in line to vote right now. Really surprised at the turnout. I'm in NE Bexar county

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Voted at the Dallas County Tax office at 4:30 and was in and out in 10-15 minutes. Lots of people were voting, but it was well-organized. My wife did the same this morning (like 7:30-8:00) and didn't notice a line.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Voted today at the Randall's at Research and Braker, the line went out the door and all the way down to the corner of the strip mall and has been like that all day, but it moved pretty quick. Think it took about 20-30 minutes total

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
I have to drive 25 miles each way if I want to vote early, so unless some friends want to carpool with me I'll likely wait until election day to vote as my actual polling place is only 4 blocks away.

Atahualpa posted:

(Incidentally, I'm curious: is pretty much everyone in this thread a city-dweller or is anyone else stuck out in a rural shithole like me?)

I live in a tiny "college town" on the east side of the Metroplex and it is very much a rural shithole. I'm currently looking for a new barber, because mine had to spontaneously rant about our "liberal bullshit textbooks" in the PoliSci dept at our university. I am a PoliSci TA and he is not a student here, though he is an avid reader of Harry Turtledove and RA Salvatore novels. "Our" book (we all use different textbooks) was apparently lying about historical party realignments in order to get the n-word vote for Democrats. Except he just used the word directly, over and over, in a barber shop with 6 customers, including three small children. No one batted an eye except me. I brought up the Southern Strategy and he outright denied its existence, even after I played the Atwater quote on my phone. The Republicans were apparently the pro-states rights party in the Civil War as well. My fundy family members (I grew up in truly rural east Texas and thus still see them occasionally) are outright defending Trump's sexual assault, pointing to Ben Franklin and other historical figures to argue that Trump's actions don't matter as long as he gets to nominate the next Supreme Court justice. I'm in large part a leftist and political scientist because of the already overt religious bigotry, racism and sexism of rural east Texas that I witnessed while growing up, but this election has brought out the worst in the locals. At this point, I'm counting down the days until I finish my master's and get to leave this shithole forever. I don't plan on coming back except for maybe some funerals and weddings involving close family, though even that is doubtful.

Thankfully my students are overwhelmingly young people from the Metroplex and are voting Clinton if they are politically engaged at all, but I still have some older white students that have to make a show of rolling their eyes and/or sighing any time I clarify the inflammatory headlines of the last few days or when we discuss political events before I start a lecture.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 25, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Supporting the trip reports -

Williamson County shatters first-day early voting record

The number of Williamson County residents hitting the polls Monday for the first day of early voting has surpassed the number of people who voted the first day of early voting in the 2012 presidential election. The Williamson County Elections Department reported 14,705 people have voted as of 5 p.m. compared to a total turnout of 9,223 voters on the first day of early voting in November 2012.

“They eclipsed it about 1 p.m. today,” County Elections Administrator Christopher Davis said of the numbers. “It’s a record for the first day of early voting in Williamson County.”

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Travis county is apparently easily on track for 30k on the first day, according to KUT.

It is just great.

Ben Hur Shriner's Hall had over 30 machines going so the line was almost a walking pace when I was there. I highly recommend it.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Voting +1 for Dread Abuela in Harris County.

I'm wondering if I accidentally nullified my vote because I chose the straight party option for Democratic, yet chose the Green Party option against a Republican (no Democratic option, I believe it was a State rep position). If I did, well crap.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Logic Probed posted:

Voting +1 for Dread Abuela in Harris County.

I'm wondering if I accidentally nullified my vote because I chose the straight party option for Democratic, yet chose the Green Party option against a Republican (no Democratic option, I believe it was a State rep position). If I did, well crap.

You're good. In Texas, an individual choice will override a straight party vote without invalidating any/all of it.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Voted today at the Randall's at Research and Braker, the line went out the door and all the way down to the corner of the strip mall and has been like that all day, but it moved pretty quick. Think it took about 20-30 minutes total

Just out of curiosity, are you a native Texan?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Early vote totals for today are in for Bexar county. Over 35K in person votes cast today.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
+1 for Abuelita in the West Texas town of El Paso

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

foot posted:

Just out of curiosity, are you a native Texan?

Born in New York, raised in Dallas from the age of 2 so I'm not sure where that puts me. To further complicate the matters I learned a forbidden posting style from a deranged hermit. I'm not sure if he was a native Texan either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Texas goes blue, I will squeal and flail my arms like an 8-year old girl receiving a pony on her birthday.