Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I dug it, will be seeing DWG in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Exercise man didn't really grab me. Mercedes Benz is kind of cool but after a few listens is already old. Dickie Betts feels like the sort of song which will always be better in live versions. Given all that I am still looking forward to the album. Samples of the other songs sounds like there will be a few cool tracks in there. Bundle of joy probably sounds like the stand out so far

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think I'm just a sucker for anything with pedal steel.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

dean's guitar was stolen from his local bar gig this weekend, go fund me 3...2..1..

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I dunno if he'd do a go fund me. Sounds like he just wants his guitar back.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Didn't he have another guitar that was stolen? Did he find that?
I remember this happened with the Strokes recently and I think it actually turned up, amazingly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well that was quick:

Deaner posted:

It appears that my guitar has been found and will be coming home to me today or tomorrow. I couldn't have done it w/ol all your help on social media. Waiting until I have it in hand and then I will post more information. I can't thank you all enough! I love you!

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I'm happy for you Deaner, even if you did post a video of you torching a copy of The Kids Are Alright.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

the numa numa song posted:

I'm happy for you Deaner, even if you did post a video of you torching a copy of The Kids Are Alright.

Remember when Deaner uploaded this for some reason? (GoT spoilers I guess if you somehow avoided this when it first aired)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

poo poo is goin' down this weekend. :unsmigghh:

Got my fingers crossed for "The Rift."

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

so this is a fuckin long shot but are any OC/SD goons driving up to the show at the palladium tomorrow?
I'm in south orange county and I have boognish tattooed on my back, but my car is down for the moment. :negative:
I can offer money for gas and :420:

Jellidelic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 13, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:rock:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Awesome! I have a terrible track record with limited posters.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
My god that's a beauty. Mad jealous.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just noticed looking at it after last night - those are some big, veiny, ejaculating penises framing those Residents portraits.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Guys guys guys.

Night loving two.

Is where it's loving at.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Both nights looked good but yeah.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Steam deaner's new album. Woot Woot!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-dean-weens-trippy-diverse-solo-debut-lp-w444652

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Love this quote from the Rolling Stone interview:

Deaner posted:

The record wouldn't be the same without 'Gum.' But it's one of those songs that I think I might skip. That's me, if I was listening to my own record. But it has to be on there. It takes up valuable real estate on the record for a reason. It's like, 'OK, do you think we're not capable of making the same kind of music we did in 1990 or '89?' 'Cause if anything, I'm just as pathetic in 2016 and still make sad-rear end tunes like this.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I don't listen to many artists where I listen to the album and hope it's just really hosed up sounding, fingers crossed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Gum" gave me a real "Hey Fat Boy (rear end in a top hat)" vibe, which is certainly not a bad thing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah I liked Gum. It was a dumb song, and made even dumber by the fact it was made by a 47 year old dude but what the hell.

Overall I'm happy with the album. It doesn't feel very 'album like', but what Ween album ever has, except the country album.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yes yes yes! I thought the gws reunion release was scrapped however....

http://ween.shop.musictoday.com/dept/asdfg564564-61551svb65-651sd?cp=81258_81440

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Yes yes yes! I thought the gws reunion release was scrapped however....

http://ween.shop.musictoday.com/dept/asdfg564564-61551svb65-651sd?cp=81258_81440

Well, this solves the dilemma of what to tell my family I want for Christmas.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Available 11/18, $100 gets you a live 2001 recording of God Ween Satan on vinyl, a boognish belt buckle, a boognish slip mat, pennant and shirt.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

me your dad posted:

Overall I'm happy with the album. It doesn't feel very 'album like', but what Ween album ever has, except the country album.

Obviously what one considers "album like" is highly subjective, but for my money? Everything from Country Greats to Quebec is a solid, coherently themed album. Not a proper "concept album", because Ween are above that poo poo.

Mollusk is a no-brainer: the deep, green nautical album. Ocean Man, Blarney Stone, Mutilated Lips, the title track, Golden Eel, Polka Dot Tail, Pink Eye, She Wanted to Leave are all obviously linked to this theme, either in lyrics or in sound (warbly guitars, lots of reverb that makes it sound like you're hearing it underwater, etc). I think the only tracks that outright deny this are Dancing in the Show Tonight, Waving My Dick in the Wind and Jonny on the Spot. That's only 3 of 14, and because they're still as Ween as the rest of the album, they fit in just fine on it. Could be argued that their "traditional" style makes them the anchor holding the ship in place. Or just whatever.

White Pepper is the "pop" "throwback" record. I know, I know, it's hard to call that a distinguishing feature; Ween have ALWAYS been in the business of stylistic homages and unforgettable hooks. But WP is definitely their "cleanest" record to date, their closest attempts to truly emulate the giants that influence them. Is it a coincidence that they (sort of) toned down their dirtiness to do that? Yes, probably. But I'm free to interpret as I like. :colbert:

Quebec is the yin-yang album. Equal parts light and dark, cheer and despair. Gene and Dean obviously had a lot of demons to purge when making the record, and they balance that with a lot of saccharine brightness in the sound, as if they're trying to make it clear that the brightness is a front for some seriously nasty poo poo. (Happy Colored Marbles, anyone?)

What makes Ween great is that they never changed the way they write songs to fit these themes. They just do what they do in the general direction of a theme. Or, probably more likely, they do what they do and the theme sort of reveals itself. All three of these albums are brown, but they're each a distinct shade of brown.

After a killer trilogy like that, is it any wonder La Cucaracha is kind of a letdown?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

No man I loved La Cucaracha. It took like a year but it's fun. Lame as hell but fun.

How could you not love Woman and Man, Your Party, Shamemaker?!

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Beastie posted:

No man I loved La Cucaracha. It took like a year but it's fun. Lame as hell but fun.

How could you not love Woman and Man, Your Party, Shamemaker?!

Ahhhhh, I guess I came off pretty hard on it. "Let down" and all.

BUT I like Cucaracha! I really do! It's just not as coherent and amazing as the other three I talked about.

When I saw Ween live in 2011 they played "Learnin' to Love" and I danced like a drunk ding dong, it was great. I love Ween.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I do think Shamemaker is really really bad, but I like a lot of the other parts on that album.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Allen Wren posted:

I do think Shamemaker is really really bad, but I like a lot of the other parts on that album.

Shamemaker, Fruit Man, and Spiritwalker are all kinda duds to me. But I adore With My Own Bare Hands. Also, sorry Gener, LP Friends > EP Friends.

Oddly enough I love everything else on the Friends EP.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 21, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

I always thought it was a smash mouth parody.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

the numa numa song posted:

Obviously what one considers "album like" is highly subjective, but for my money? Everything from Country Greats to Quebec is a solid, coherently themed album. Not a proper "concept album", because Ween are above that poo poo.

Fair enough about the Mollusk. I forgot about that one. Coincidentally, I saw a woman on my way into work wearing a Mollusk Surf Shop shirt.

In other news, the new Deaner album is on Spotify today.

Edit: Garry is a god damned good song.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 21, 2016

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Played the album a few times now. Agreed Garry is drat good. Tammy is dark as hell and I like it. I thought Bundle of Joy would be my fav - it's good, but maybe a tad too long.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 25, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Glad to see they are going into 2017, now to just hope for a Wisconsin date!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That'll be lmost a year since the reunion :cry:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah a year since the reunion and they're still playing these special shows. I just wish they'd get back into regular touring at normal venues.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
They have the same management as phish now, I don't see that happening. Plus, from a business standpoint doing less for more is probably the better option.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
I went fishing with deaner in 2012 about a month before ween broke up and he talked about doing multiple nights in one city going forward vs the standard tour thing even back then. It makes way more sense economically. The US is a huge country and bands waste a lot of time and money driving from city to city, and many will probably tell you they make the most money from weekend shows in NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, etc, so it sucks if you don't live near those places, but good on them for taking care of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
And this is purely my speculation, but it probably is MUCH easier for Gene to stay on the wagon this way. Hard partying on long tours got him to rock bottom.

I just hope they do another album someday.