Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It just tasted like generic chilli sauce to me. But I didn't get the rooster one. Maybe I should have gotten the Nando's peri peri sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sriracha is old news. Sambal oelek is the new hotness.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rgocs posted:

I'm surely going to get crucified here, but what do people really see in Sricacha? Every time I taste it I feel it's way over-hyped; at least the one with the rooster.
You can add it to anything
It's 'foreign'
It's cool on the internet

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rgocs posted:

I'm surely going to get crucified here, but what do people really see in Sricacha? Every time I taste it I feel it's way over-hyped; at least the one with the rooster.

For me it's sweet, tangy, and has a little bite. Tastes good with eggs and tomato based sauces.

It's certainly faddish just like aioli and "ghost pepper sauce" were at one point but I think it's place in the cupboard as a general condiment is deserved.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I keep it around for like eggs and rice.

There might be a better condiment for that stuff sure.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Someone give me a call when shito has its day. The twitter marketing even writes itself. hashtag I give a shito!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Growing up around LA, Sriracha was everywhere, but nobody knew about it outside the region. We always used it on pizza (I guess some people use ranch for this?) and on lovely 2AM chow mein. It just is what it is. I still keep it around for pizza, primarily, and once in a while it's good in a sandwich.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

al-azad posted:

For me it's sweet, tangy, and has a little bite. Tastes good with eggs and tomato based sauces.

It's certainly faddish just like aioli and "ghost pepper sauce" were at one point but I think it's place in the cupboard as a general condiment is deserved.

It's great on rice, sandwiches, pizza, lots of stuff. It's like, what's the big deal with ketchup! Or Mustard! Nothing really, you just put it on things you want condiments on. Except now you can put sriracha on as well.

Actually, speaking of Mustard, a similar condiment fad happened with Grey Poupon in like the 90's? Similar story. People going HOLY poo poo THERE'S OTHER KINDS OF MUSTARD?! IT'S SO FANCY and going a bit insane for awhile. And that's why most sub places across the US have three kinds of mustard now. Which is great because yay mustard.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I used to have one bottle in my cupboard for ages. I always found something better to use. Chipotle sauce, green/red salsa, Tapatio, habanero sauce, crushed habanero/chipotle. I'd even use Tabasco and Valentina before Sricacha, unless I was having pho, and even then I'd rather have the oil & chili mix they give you.

I have never mixed it with tomato sauce, so that might work.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Funny. We've had sambal here for decades.

you know, indonesia being a former colony and all

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I used to be pretty into sriracha but I got annoyed with how it dominates the flavor of pretty much anything you put it on. It is the one true condiment for pizza, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

rgocs posted:

Branding.

For cooking stuff and wanting similar flavors I just use sambal olek and ginger/garlic since I can control the overall mix better.

I do like keeping some around though as a condiment. It's amazing on a black bean burger or something now and then.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Mikey Purp posted:

I used to be pretty into sriracha but I got annoyed with how it dominates the flavor of pretty much anything you put it on. It is the one true condiment for pizza, though.

This is exactly the reasoning why Sriracha was everywhere in college for me. I had no idea how to cook and almost everything I made was with cheap or frozen ingredients. Dumping Sriracha just makes the finished result taste the same every time and even if it's not that great, at least the bar is set consistently.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Funny. We've had sambal here for decades.

you know, indonesia being a former colony and all
Huy Fong sriracha & tuong ot toi/sambal oelek have been ubiquitous table condiments at like every Asian restaurant here since I was a child.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
It's kind of like barbecue sauce. Both taste OK, you can use either to spice things up with a little sweetness. But anything you put them on is going to taste like sriracha or barbecue sauce, and I don't like the flavor of either enough to keep them on hand.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
You can make a pool of sriracha and a pool of ketchup and then merge them in the middle to create three different flavours/heat levels for dipping your chips in. It's also handy to have around for the odd time when you make something that needs both a bit of heat and a bit of brightness adding.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone got a recipe for a sauce I can use to cook/add to zuccini, mushrooms and broccoli that'll be dumped onto a bed of rice? Ideally something that isn't salted to hell.

While I'm asking, I recall someone suggesting using deli style jalapenos and mayo to make a kick rear end sauce, anyone got a recipe for that? I wanna kill this jar of jalapenos soon.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

yo sambal manis

it's hot and full of sugar. americans will love it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

rgocs posted:

an easy way to make not-quite-chipotle-mayo

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

JawKnee posted:

an easy way to make not-quite-chipotle-mayo
Can't be better or easier than using mashed chipotles or chipotle chilli powder though! I get a few of these whenever I'm in Mexico (and habaneros too). Now these two are great on eggs!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

There is something that in restaurant food that really bothers me, and I'm determined to find out what it is.

The symptoms are a leaden, cramping feeling in my stomach (even if I haven't eaten too much); a garlicy taste in my mouth that can't be removed even by brushing my teeth multiple times; a buzzy, overstimulated feeling and racing mind; and maybe a headache.

Mid-range Italian and seafood restaurants are probably the worst offenders, but I've also gotten this from steaks at Outback and most recently, from a chicken enchilada at a Mexican place. Weirdly enough, I don't have this problem with cheaper, over the counter type food. I got a fried fish gyro from a local fast food chain last night, no problem. It has to be a sit-down restaurant.

Is it MSG? Do I have an adverse reaction to garlic, if that's possible? Any ideas?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Msg can cause a similar reaction to some people but I don't believe it's that if you're getting sick from American sit down chains. I wonder if it's salt that's doing it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

al-azad posted:

Msg can cause a similar reaction to some people but I don't believe it's that if you're getting sick from American sit down chains. I wonder if it's salt that's doing it.

No it can't. MSG does not cause "Chinese Restaurant syndrome," it's the excessive amount of fat, sodium, and sugar.

In fact, all of the symptoms Ramrod Hotshot posted sound like excessive sodium intake. That's my take on it, anyway.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can someone recommend a great vegetable peeler?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lawnie posted:

The Oxo one that looks like a disposable razor

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What can I do with a ton of processed turkey? A friend of my parents who owns a store that has a deli counter gave them two big old things of turkey, the ones in plastic wrap that you put on a meat slicer.

Im enjoying turkey sandwiches but I can't think of another way to eat it other than turkey roll ups.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

What can I do with a ton of processed turkey? A friend of my parents who owns a store that has a deli counter gave them two big old things of turkey, the ones in plastic wrap that you put on a meat slicer.

Im enjoying turkey sandwiches but I can't think of another way to eat it other than turkey roll ups.

I made a kinda halfass quiche / breafkast bar thing that was a couple chopped and browned onions, chopped up deli meat, a bunch of beaten eggs and some peas. Poured it into a glass baking dish and baked it at 250F until it set all the way through. Wasn't a super dish but it was filling and cheap and a change of pace from a sandwich.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Deep fry it, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the peeler rec, too.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

- Scrambled eggs and (turkey)-ham.
- Salad with turkey cubes.
- Quesadillas with (turkey)-ham (technically "sincronizadas")
- In tiny cubes with cubed potatoes, hash-brown style

edit:

- Mashed potatoes with (turkey) ham
- Turkey and cheese pizza
- Pasta with turkey strips in creamy sauce
- Cheese, turkey and spinach quiche

rgocs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 25, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

No it can't. MSG does not cause "Chinese Restaurant syndrome," it's the excessive amount of fat, sodium, and sugar.

In fact, all of the symptoms Ramrod Hotshot posted sound like excessive sodium intake. That's my take on it, anyway.

Hey aji-no-moto is a permanent part of my pantry but I've had people say it makes them feel weird just licking it off their fingers so who am I to deny how they feel?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

al-azad posted:

Hey aji-no-moto is a permanent part of my pantry but I've had people say it makes them feel weird just licking it off their fingers so who am I to deny how they feel?

Sure, and licking pure salt from your fingers is going to feel a little weird, too.

Did you know that tomatoes and eggplants contain a tremendous amount of MSG? Parmesan cheese is more than 70% pure MSG, too. When's the last time you heard about someone saying that the MSG from their Italian meal gave them an upset whatever?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

When's the last time you heard about someone saying that the MSG from their Italian meal gave them an upset whatever?

Well...

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Mid-range Italian and seafood restaurants are probably the worst offenders,
:words:
Is it MSG? Do I have an adverse reaction to garlic, if that's possible? Any ideas?

:v:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hmm, I could see that. Is there such thing as being sensitive to sodium? Incidentally, I often think food will taste overly salty when others eating the same thing are fine with it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm looking for an affordable hot pot/shabu Shabu pot that I can buy online in Canada. I found one on Amazon but there's only one review and there isn't a lot of extra info anywhere online and the most relatable one is over $200. Anyway know of a reputable online seller?
This is the one review one I was looking at: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01E985OKE/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chemmy posted:

It's that it isn't iodized.
Blind taste tests suggest people can't really taste the difference between iodized table salt and uniodized table salt. In the case of just taking a mouthful of salt by itself it's within the realm of plausibility that there might be a perceptible flavour difference in heavily iodized salt---the iodine is a couple of ppm in most iodized salts, which tends to be around the edge of perceptibility---but this effect disappears when you're looking at the salt in food.

Whether or not there's a flavour difference between table salt and sea salt depends on the exact composition of the sea salt. But in the vast majority of cases the only stuff that's going to be present in any meaningful quantities is potassium and maybe calcium. So if you find yourself swooning over a sea salt you're in luck---you can reproduce that flavour by mixing table salt with inexpensive salt substitutes, which are mostly potassium chloride. And most people find perceptible levels of calcium in food unpleasant, but if that's what you're after you can throw in a pinch of pickle crisp or some other food-grade calcium chloride product. You can fiddle around with the ratios, but if you want to reproduce most non-refined salts what you're looking for is about 0.3-0.5% (that's three to five parts per thousand) of potassium and/or calcium.

`Artisanal' rock salts, e.g. Himalayan, also tend to contain trace amounts of metals, for example the iron that gives Himalayan salt its characteristic pinkish tinge. This can affect aesthetics in terms of visual presentation but are unlikely to affect flavour. For reference, iron in Himalayan salts is typically present in concentrations of a few ppm to on the order of tens of ppm, which on the high end is still only about one thousandth (or 0.1%) of the iron added to food when cooked on cast iron cookware (an effect that is usually on the order of mg per g).

I mean sriracha is cool, sambal oelek is cool, eat all the hot sauces and also make your own hot sauces and eat them too. But I thought the sauce from the Mysterious Orient that all the cool kids liked now was angry lady.

Lawnie posted:

I really like the Oxo peelers I picked up a couple years ago. But part of my enthusiasm for them could be because the peelers I was replacing were those terrible stamped metal things that were in every kitchen until a couple decades ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sure, and licking pure salt from your fingers is going to feel a little weird, too.

Did you know that tomatoes and eggplants contain a tremendous amount of MSG? Parmesan cheese is more than 70% pure MSG, too. When's the last time you heard about someone saying that the MSG from their Italian meal gave them an upset whatever?

It's also in non-perishables and preserved foods, which naturally have a lot of sodium.

I don't buy into the smear campaign against msg but people can be sensitive to it and those symptoms are very similar.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Hmm, I could see that. Is there such thing as being sensitive to sodium? Incidentally, I often think food will taste overly salty when others eating the same thing are fine with it.

If salt in general really messes you up it could be a sign of pre-hypertension. If you feel consistently strange after these specific meals you should see a physician.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

I mean sriracha is cool, sambal oelek is cool, eat all the hot sauces and also make your own hot sauces and eat them too. But I thought the sauce from the Mysterious Orient that all the cool kids liked now was angry lady.

poo poo i forgot about angry lady.

I'm on a jerky kick, maybe I'll make some angry lady jerky

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

poo poo i forgot about angry lady.

I'm on a jerky kick, maybe I'll make some angry lady jerky

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dubbed that sauce brand "angry chinese lady". :v:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

al-azad posted:

What's up aji-no-moto bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'm looking for an affordable hot pot/shabu Shabu pot that I can buy online in Canada. I found one on Amazon but there's only one review and there isn't a lot of extra info anywhere online and the most relatable one is over $200. Anyway know of a reputable online seller?
This is the one review one I was looking at: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01E985OKE/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I don't know about that specific pot, but I'm kind of sketchy on electric cookers. A lot of the cheaper ones use the 'bang-bang' kind of thermostat; instead of keeping a temperature, they heat up, reach the set ceiling, and then switch off completely and drift down maybe 30ºF before coming on full blast again. For something with a lot of mass to hold the heat it might not be as big a deal, I've just had some lousy experiences with cheapish electric woks that were all "blaaarg, I'm hot as hell" and then completely switched off until they got back to the temperature where they'd go on full blast again. If you're not in a huge hurry, ask on the Amazon page if it has an on-off thermostat or if it keeps a steady temperature.