Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Orange Red Bull posted:

glenns career in america died

he'll probably show up as a force ghost throughout the season, if he's not too busy making convention money.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Slugworth posted:

Man, I hate to be the one to tell you, but the writer of the comic book is on record as saying he wanted TWD to be a series that never ends - No climax, no denouement, just an unending series of events. It will end when people stop reading/watching, and there will be no satisfying conclusion - By design.

Yes, it's an incredibly stupid idea.

OTOH, I had heard he had the ending already written and was working toward it or at least stretching out the middle. This reminds me of when the creator of Heroes (2006 TV show) said he had a napkin-plan for 5 seasons ahead, and then it went nowhere. It makes me have trust issues with TV shows that are still airing, when I could just wait for them to be over and binge watch them after I'll know if they've had a satisfying ending.

I liked the RV ride and the Abraham/Isaac moment, but they shouldn't have included any of those jump cuts. It looked like they were intended to visualize what Rick was thinking about, but it was implausible that he thought of the deaths of every single member of the line-up, and it took me out of it because I know they were just looking for an excuse to use all the footage they used. The second time I heard the something something Sunday dinner line, I was thinking "Yeah, yeah, I already heard that. You don't need to draw me a picture to go with it like this is a children's book." That kind of scene only works if the characters actually ever were shown to be having Sunday dinners together. Otherwise it comes off as cheesy as having the aftershow party in a graveyard.

This episode would have been better if it were half as long. Maybe after the show's over, someone will make either a The Walking Dead Kai or The Walking Dead Abridged version and it'll be better.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I'm reading so many reviews like this crying that last night's episode was too violent. I mean really? It seems hilarious to me to complain about violence in a show like Walking Dead. They've done some hosed up poo poo throughout the series.

They're all hung up on the violence like little bitches

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Give the writers credit. They made the viewership actually feel something.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I watched the episode. I feel disgusted. Not because of the graphic depictions of violence, but because of the ... disrespectful and flippant way the story is being treated. I guess? I'm disgusted with the people who came up with this.

It's like watching someone destroy their own toys. Sure, I guess if you want to irreversibly melt your star wars figures with real fire in the throes of your passionate play storyline that's, uh, ok, but I don't have to like it, or participate. I'm going to do something else now.

Suck my nuts.

Edit: the disgusting violence wasn't any scene or plot point. It was that the whole setup and execution was disgusting violence against storytelling itself. It feels akin to the reason I don't watch reality television. Too much bullshit manufactured with an extra veneer of manipulation by presenting itself as unscripted.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 24, 2016

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm reading so many reviews like this crying that last night's episode was too violent. I mean really? It seems hilarious to me to complain about violence in a show like Walking Dead. They've done some hosed up poo poo throughout the series.

They're all hung up on the violence like little bitches

You're either retarded or just willfully ignorant of what those people were arguing over in the article you listed.

Yes, TWD is filled with violence. Yes, everyone expects it to be violent.

The point of that article is that they aren't using the violence and gore to achieve anything thematically. All they did was murder someone who had literally just gotten back from the grave several episodes beforehand, and then use it as an excuse to show off how bad this new bad dude is.

The show is going nowhere. Every season is just a newer and bigger biker gang for them to fight against. The comics may have transitioned to being about building a new world out of the ashes, but the show that has real life aging actors in it doesn't have the luxury of time to spend another season fighting another biker gang before it gets to that era.

They need to give viewers some kind of light at the end of the tunnel because everything they've done for the last three seasons leaves people who don't read the comics to believe that there's nothing else to look forward to and that all they're doing is spinning the wheels until all the notable core characters are murdered for shock value and ratings.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

they aren't using the violence and gore to achieve anything thematically. All they did was murder someone who had literally just gotten back from the grave several episodes beforehand, and then use it as an excuse to show off how bad this new bad dude is

This is how the show has operated almost from day one. It really shouldn't be a surprise seven seasons in.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

You're either retarded or just willfully ignorant of what those people were arguing over in the article you listed.

The point of that article is that they aren't using the violence and gore to achieve anything thematically. All they did was murder someone who had literally just gotten back from the grave several episodes beforehand, and then use it as an excuse to show off how bad this new bad dude is.

The show is going nowhere. Every season is just a newer and bigger biker gang for them to fight against. The comics may have transitioned to being about building a new world out of the ashes, but the show that has real life aging actors in it doesn't have the luxury of time to spend another season fighting another biker gang before it gets to that era.

I agree with everything you said here.

quote:

They need to give viewers some kind of light at the end of the tunnel because everything they've done for the last three seasons leaves people who don't read the comics to believe that there's nothing else to look forward to and that all they're doing is spinning the wheels until all the notable core characters are murdered for shock value and ratings.

This I disagree with though. The showrunners can do whatever they want. If they want to blatantly manipulate their audiences until the show is cancelled, they can do that. It doesn't mean that everyone has to like it or that everyone has to keep watching. This is what is infuriating. Drama is all about manipulating emotions in service of a narrative. This latest episode, and TWD in general, is about manipulation for its own sake. There's no meaning here, just faux sentimentality. That's the biggest affront to me as a viewer.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is how the show has operated almost from day one. It really shouldn't be a surprise seven seasons in.

Except it hasn't? Nearly every death was in the service of some larger theme or plot. Carol's daughter died and made Carol a different character (one who's development allowed for more development). Lori and T-Dog died in the prison to both underscore how dangerous the place still was and to develop Carl and Carol's characters. These events had meaning.

"Killing" Glenn, bringing him back after 3-4 episodes, then killing him off a season later is without meaning. The only reasons to put Glenn through the first death is 1) to really mean it, leave him dead, and signal a break from the comics or 2) flagrantly manipulate your audience (both of the tv show and those who've already read the comic). They've chosen option 2 and made option 2 the very core of the show at this point.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 24, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't understand anything that Maggie was cry-talking about

Did she want to bury the bodies but didn't want anyone else to?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

That has been crystal clear from the start that there is no light at the end of the tunnel except for surviving. This is what the CDC episode in Season 1 was about. This is what the show has always been. What a dumb loving article.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Thwomp posted:

I agree with everything you said here.

This I disagree with though. The showrunners can do whatever they want. If they want to blatantly manipulate their audiences until the show is cancelled, they can do that. It doesn't mean that everyone has to like it or that everyone has to keep watching. This is what is infuriating. Drama is all about manipulating emotions in service of a narrative. This latest episode, and TWD in general, is about manipulation for its own sake. There's no meaning here, just faux sentimentality. That's the biggest affront to me as a viewer.

Yes, you are right and that they can do whatever they want. They can also just change the next season into an episodic musical about christmas and you would still be right.

I didn't mean "they need to..." because they are legally obligated to. I mean "if they want to actually make thier show worth watching and keep their audience enjoying the show" then they should do something to signal to their very loyal and annoyed audience that at some point the characters that they've followed for the last 7 years will have something good happen and that there might be a reason to exist in this lovely new world. So far I'm not sure why there haven't been more suicides in this show, given how relentlessly the protagonists are tortured. There was a lot of hub bub in the first season about that one girl who wanted to kill herself and how everyone didn't want to let her do it. But hell, she looks pretty smart given all the pointless bullshit the other characters have endured to get nowhere.

Or yes like you said they can just run it into the ground like they've been doing for the last three seasons with increasingly boring plot lines and no real goal other than "survive for another episode".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Suck muh nuts.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

Glenn at least I think, after she wanted them to let her go to hilltop on her own and for them to go back to prep for war

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm reading so many reviews like this crying that last night's episode was too violent.

theverge article posted:

Remember back in season one when the gang chopped up a corpse, poured its blood over their faces and wore its entrails, that was so awesome. We're totally going to have a zombie themed wedding. I ripped the "my other vehicle is a tardis" sticker from the back of my Subaru and can't wait for my "BRAAIIINS!" sticker to arrive.

We had a viewing party to watch Herschel get his head chopped off and dressed up as our favorite characters. We even made some nachos with red food coloring so it looked exactly like that one zombie that got its head caved in with a hatchback. Everyone had a great time. Remember when that crazy cannibal chopped off that dude's leg and ate it in front of him before being ambushed by our heroes and hacked to pieces in a church while onlookers screamed in terror? I love this show, I haven't even unwrapped my Sherlock box sets yet.

Wait, my darling glen?? You've gone too far this time AMC!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

some guy on the bus posted:

That has been crystal clear from the start that there is no light at the end of the tunnel except for surviving. This is what the CDC episode in Season 1 was about. This is what the show has always been. What a dumb loving article.

Except that works as an idea for a setting but a super lovely one for a narrative. There's a reason why 3 and 5 act structures exist. Audiences crave structure and knowing that a story has a start and an ending. TWD is moving forward with very little narrative momentum or plotting. The group is just going to keep surviving until....what? This was/is a problem with the comics and it's certainly a problem for the show now.

Will the show just end in season 8 or 9 with the group whittling away to just Rick? Will they rebuild society? After 7 years, the show has no answers or hints at what the end looks like.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

she wanted everyone else to go back to Alexandria because they were out there in the first place trying to get her to Hilltop because she got sick or had an infection or something last season

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
I appreciate them going all the way with Glenn but they let bugeyed Glenn hang out for way too long

and this whole episode should've been cut down and in last season's finale

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People are being really weird about other people saying the episode felt cheap and stupid. They're not just saying "it was too bloody." I thought the season-long build up was a lot of rubbish sprinkled with some good moments and there's no way it was going to build to something emotionally satisfying, and using Glenn in particular is cheap and stupid because we already had a long Glenn's (Not) Dead! bit that dragged on way too long. That said: I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Thwomp posted:

Except that works as an idea for a setting but a super lovely one for a narrative. There's a reason why 3 and 5 act structures exist. Audiences crave structure and knowing that a story has a start and an ending. TWD is moving forward with very little narrative momentum or plotting. The group is just going to keep surviving until....what?

Until nothing, that's it. It's just like real life. It sucks, bad things will keep happening, people you like will die one after the other, then you die. I'd be totally fine with a zombie soap opera that could go on for 30-50 years.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

They seemed ok with the good guys killing a bunch of people in their sleep too

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but they killed those guys in their sleep because they were growing the Devil's Weed so kids wouldn't get hooked on the streets

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Imagine the outcry the night Daryl bites the big one in Season 37.

Even people who stopped watching at the Season 7 mark will be so upset they'll have to miss work because the ten separate viewing parties they were invited to but didn't attend broke down into hysterics when all the parents and fangirls watching simultaneously fainted.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would rather have lost Daryl and kept Big Dumb Abraham.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

Until nothing, that's it. It's just like real life. It sucks, bad things will keep happening, people you like will die one after the other, then you die. I'd be totally fine with a zombie soap opera that could go on for 30-50 years.

And just like in "real life" we fight one super evil guy with his gang after another and come out of it victorious... so please don't argue with rl bleakness because the show doesn't support it. It only does so when it's convenient but outside of it it follows the typical TV and story telling tropes even more than most other shows. That's why it can't just ignore something like a narrative structure or things to look forward to (as characters and viewers).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I would rather have lost Daryl and kept Big Dumb Abraham.

There are several characters I'd killed before Abraham.

Mostly because his character added a much needed element to the show and it's never smart to kill off an elemental nobody else brings. I thought the same thing with Herschel, whom I think they should have kept on and killed here instead, after everything. That'd double mindfucked Maggie and given us a lot more time with an aspect of the show we could have used.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
The guy is right though, the show needs some closure. Either let them all die fighting or let them find some kind of safe place, even if it's understood that the place isn't a permanent answer. Nobody wants to spend the next 10 years having these clutzy writers try to figure out how to make everyone's favorite characters die and then get replaced by younger and cheaper actors.

Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad at least have the wherewithal and maturity to say "we acknowledge that the format of our show and the tension that we create with our plotlines can't be extended forever". Walking Dead should do the same and recognize that it's overstaying its welcome and people are being pushed away by it.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That was a good ep. People are kind of missing the point by judging it on who got batted, the point was to detail how Rick got switched back into bitch mode.

Also Trevor haz a pen.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AndyElusive posted:

Suck muh nuts.

Did anybody else think, after Abraham says this line, that when Rick was kneeling down on the ground next to Negan that they were actually going to do that scene in the comics where Negan makes Rick suck his dick? Maybe Negan would say something beforehand like "Your ol' buddy Abraham gave me a great idea, yessir..."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My god so much whining about the violence level. I think it was stupid to ice a character and there's lots to complain about in Walking Dead all of the time, but really? Really? We ALL KNEW precisely what was coming and we've all seen this level of violence to hero characters before. It's loving hilarious.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Did anybody else think, after Abraham says this line, that when Rick was kneeling down on the ground next to Negan that they were actually going to do that scene in the comics where Negan makes Rick suck his dick? Maybe Negan would say something beforehand like "Your ol' buddy Abraham gave me a great idea, yessir..."

At no time did I think AMC's The Walking Dead would have a scene in the Season 7 premier where Rick Grimes is forced to give oral pleasure to Negan the All-Star Batter for the Atlanta Saviors.

Maybe he'd force Eugene, but not Rick.

Tortuga posted:

Also Trevor haz a pen.

It's cool that I'm now watching two dramas in 2016 where Trevor Phillips is a character in them. GTAV really gave his career a shot in the arm.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Tortuga posted:

Also Trevor haz a pen.

for a moment it felt like they were going into a dark comedy parody version of the show, with a gag where Trevor keeps patting around on his body to feel for which pocket he put the pen in for like 3 minutes. I mean, I've done the patting thing before when someone's asked me for something

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Except that works as an idea for a setting but a super lovely one for a narrative. There's a reason why 3 and 5 act structures exist. Audiences crave structure and knowing that a story has a start and an ending. TWD is moving forward with very little narrative momentum or plotting. The group is just going to keep surviving until....what? This was/is a problem with the comics and it's certainly a problem for the show now.

Will the show just end in season 8 or 9 with the group whittling away to just Rick? Will they rebuild society? After 7 years, the show has no answers or hints at what the end looks like.

Counterpoint: soap operas exist, and are very popular.

I'm not saying it isn't ok to say you're done watching because the show is like a soap, and that isn't what you want. That's perfectly reasonable. It's less reasonable, though, to say that the never ending series of events/soapy style that kirkman has stated he's going for isn't a valid narrative choice, which is what it seems like you are saying unless I'm misreading. For a lot of people that is a draw.

Plus, as you know a lot of these criticisms will be addressed. Sure, they took far too long getting there I won't argue that point, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Even at its most grim I'm glad the characters on this show actually like each other, though they should have more personal conflicts. I actually thought the end of Fear Walking Dead season 2 was meaner and stupider than this by a wide margin. I still feel dumb for watching that second season.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

King Vidiot posted:

Am... Am I forgetting a scene from the comics?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked the scene in the comics where they introduced Poochie only to send him back to his home planet just a couple periodicals later

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Honestly if this show even attempts the Necromancer plot from the most recent comic it will be Show of the Year for all years.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Boner Zone posted:

and this whole episode should've been cut down and in last season's finale

This is the biggest problem. The shock value wasn't in the deaths we all had months to comes to term with. It would have been much better if Abe got brained and then with five minutes left Glen also got it in the series finale and the cliff hanger was Rick getting dragged off. I had more a wtf moment when Lori died and I loving hated Lori.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Vitamin P posted:

Honestly if this show even attempts the Necromancer plot from the most recent comic it will be Show of the Year for all years.

Season finale is Rick waking up in a hospital bed in Atlanta after being in a coma.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rick rides the tiger into the sunset, gentle music accompanies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Rick rides the tiger into the sunset, gentle music accompanies.

Is Negan's dick stripey in the comics?