Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Titan is the kind of thing I would ironically name the whitest possible kid. I think she did good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
When he gets bullied in school would they call it "Attack on Titan"?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I once saw a guy in a gun shop calling out to his young son "Maximus"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I was a math teacher. A lot of it is peers reinforcing this attitude (it's "cool" to say you hate math and don't understand it), and a lot of it is that we're constantly told math is hard. It's impossible to learn to do something you've already decided you can't learn to do. There are side issues of teaching algorithmic methods ("memorizing your multiplication tables" rather than really understanding how everything is related so you can just do it on the fly in your head), but the biggest barriers are the ones students, and their parents proudly bragging about how they can't help with that math homework, set up for themselves.

My mom was a first grade teacher for over 40 years (just retired a year ago) and says that she has had great success with teaching the general way of thinking necessary for math rather than the algorithms (basically some of the same changes Common Core introduces). Pretty much all of her children were able to at least perform up to standards. One example of an exercise she would do is to tel the kids to "make 100" (or whatever number), which is a good exercise because it's something that lets all of the kids challenge themselves according to their skill level. A less skilled kid could say "99+1" while a more skilled one could say 6^2 + 8^2 (some first graders are really smart). The kids would compete over whole could come up with the most interesting ways to making 100.

Granted, this is in first grade, which is before a lot of the social elements you mention are introduced into the equation. In first grade most of the kids are still clean slates (unless their parents biased them against a subject), so there's a lot of room to shape their opinions towards math in a positive manner.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Alaois posted:

what a very math teacher way to look at the problem

"welp, nothing I can do, it's the students problem!"

All of the Atheists claiming the Bible is fiction don't realize that they are just a hologram and therefore fiction as well. :)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"How do you spell your name?"

"T-i-t" immediately killed by high fives.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Madkal posted:

On the one hand a lot of African tribes throughout Western Africa (as well as central and east) have had slavery trading tradition for years, but nobody is saying that America invented slavery, or that other countries never contributed to slavery either. Therefore this person is a grade A moron.

Does he think that if the ancient Egyptians weren't black, it means they were white?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dogfish posted:

No, for real:

Titan? loving loling at this dumb bitch

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lottery of Babylon posted:

All of the Atheists claiming the Bible is fiction don't realize that they are just a hologram and therefore fiction as well. :)

this one's just cheerfully baffling

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Does he think that if the ancient Egyptians weren't black, it means they were white?

Probably, I used to see posts on /pol/ about "evidence" that "scientists" had discovered that some of the pharaohs had red hair, and their skeletal structure and some other business was indicative of white skin.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ularg posted:

More like push him over repeatedly for "Titanfall 2".

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Radio Paranoia posted:

More like push him over repeatedly for "Titanfall 2".

They would but they lost interest in that game after a week.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Munchables posted:

Probably, I used to see posts on /pol/ about "evidence" that "scientists" had discovered that some of the pharaohs had red hair, and their skeletal structure and some other business was indicative of white skin.

Has no-one told then that phrenology is not a thing anymore? :v:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I was a math teacher. A lot of it is peers reinforcing this attitude (it's "cool" to say you hate math and don't understand it), and a lot of it is that we're constantly told math is hard. It's impossible to learn to do something you've already decided you can't learn to do. There are side issues of teaching algorithmic methods ("memorizing your multiplication tables" rather than really understanding how everything is related so you can just do it on the fly in your head), but the biggest barriers are the ones students, and their parents proudly bragging about how they can't help with that math homework, set up for themselves.

Oh my god, timed multiplication tests killed me in elementary school. My palms would get sweaty and my brain would go blank. Meanwhile I was teaching myself algebra from the workbooks my mom bought me at the teacher supply store. I'm no math wiz, but I was completely wrongly assessed. I would have loved common core.

Ytlaya posted:

My mom was a first grade teacher for over 40 years (just retired a year ago) and says that she has had great success with teaching the general way of thinking necessary for math rather than the algorithms (basically some of the same changes Common Core introduces). Pretty much all of her children were able to at least perform up to standards. One example of an exercise she would do is to tel the kids to "make 100" (or whatever number), which is a good exercise because it's something that lets all of the kids challenge themselves according to their skill level. A less skilled kid could say "99+1" while a more skilled one could say 6^2 + 8^2 (some first graders are really smart). The kids would compete over whole could come up with the most interesting ways to making 100.

Granted, this is in first grade, which is before a lot of the social elements you mention are introduced into the equation. In first grade most of the kids are still clean slates (unless their parents biased them against a subject), so there's a lot of room to shape their opinions towards math in a positive manner.

I would have loved this as a first grader. What I remember from first grade math was writing my twos with a loop, my teacher telling me not to, and when I kept it up she made an example of me and everyone laughed. Still don't make straight twos bitch.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What is common core? I hear about people losing their poo poo over it, but I've not been able to ascertain what it actually is.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Ularg posted:

Pssh. Like he'll ever attend a school that bullies him about his name.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I want to punch that math image.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

queserasera posted:

Pssh. Like he'll ever attend a school.

FTFY, like Titan and laykynn will ever NOT be homeschooled.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

What is common core? I hear about people losing their poo poo over it, but I've not been able to ascertain what it actually is.

Essentially it's a nationwide standard. As such it could be made of rainbows and unicorns and a not insignificant number of people would protest it solely on the grounds of the 10th Amendment.

More specifically it's just a different way of teaching material.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BaronVonVaderham posted:

On the other hand, maybe I wouldn't be mathematically retarded if my teachers did more than just tell me I was being lazy and stupid every time I told them I didn't understand the material and did all but beg for help to understand any of what we were doing beyond basic poo poo like multiplication. After a while I am going to give up because it's obvious no one's going to help me understand, and I can't just magic understanding into my own head if after several years I've still failed to get it. :shrug:

So how about an obvious photoshop people still manage to fall for? At least the top comment calls it out.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Or you know, any domesticated animal.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Oct 25, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Whoever posted this probably doesn't have kids, just guessing

e: or their kids are like, less than 3

bend
Dec 31, 2012

As a rule I think I prefer the animals, my children bite though.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Essentially it's a nationwide standard. As such it could be made of rainbows and unicorns and a not insignificant number of people would protest it solely on the grounds of the 10th Amendment.

More specifically it's just a different way of teaching material.

To expand on this, here's a summary of the reasons people give for being against it:
-It's teaching "the wrong way" because it's not how they were taught math growing up.
-Concerns that mirror the issues with respect to all standardized testing stuff like No Child Left Behind (overly focused on specific subjects, makes teachers and school districts teach students how to take tests well but doesn't teach actual useful information).
-"Federal government shouldn't be able to tell me how to raise my kids."
-It can be a very big problem trying to get poor/underperforming schools up to common core standards, both in terms of cost to implement common core and in terms of damage to the school if it doesn't test up to standards.
-It makes it harder for schools to cater to the really good students.

Some of these things are just people being dumb and resistant to change, some of them are real issues that are worth addressing with common core. Regardless of any issues, it has definitely been an overall benefit to the education systems of a lot of the poor education systems in many states.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why can't we go back to New Math? :argh:

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
I have kids, and love my kids. But oh my god, they're loving nightmares sometimes. To act like having a kid is just *true love* nonstop is to completely ignore how frustrating it is to get in an argument with a 4 year-old.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Data Graham posted:

It's so simple, so very simple, that only a child could do it! :v:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

My by-marriage niece has a friend on FB that constantly replies to her every post. Her kid's name Apollo.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I know a couple with an Orion. He's a cool kid, though.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Some dude who used to live down the street from me named his kid Odin

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The problem isn't so much common core as it is the kids. I go to the PTA meetings and I swear every time I talk to a parent their child has ADD or OCD or autistic or something. No one has a regular kid anymore they're all (and I use this term respectfully) tardos. It's just weird to hear a mom haranguing teachers that her kid isn't being given the same opportunities when a "good week" for her 15 year old son is only making GBS threads himself twice. We have a kid obviously going to college on a scholarship and then we have your tardo kid eating paste who will never contribute to society in a meaningful way. I wonder why things seem different. I don't blame the kid, he didn't choose to be a tardo. Anyway I forgot what I was saying but build the wall, require picture ID to vote and don't give the choice of refusing breathalyzers.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoUGqssXdE

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oldpainless posted:

The problem isn't so much common core as it is the kids. I go to the PTA meetings and I swear every time I talk to a parent their child has ADD or OCD or autistic or something. No one has a regular kid anymore they're all (and I use this term respectfully) tardos. It's just weird to hear a mom haranguing teachers that her kid isn't being given the same opportunities when a "good week" for her 15 year old son is only making GBS threads himself twice. We have a kid obviously going to college on a scholarship and then we have your tardo kid eating paste who will never contribute to society in a meaningful way. I wonder why things seem different. I don't blame the kid, he didn't choose to be a tardo. Anyway I forgot what I was saying but build the wall, require picture ID to vote and don't give the choice of refusing breathalyzers.

Source your quotes

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Given what happened to Uranus, I would not name my kid Titan.

Munchables posted:

"Evidence" being, y'know, the preserved body of Ramses the Great.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Oct 25, 2016

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

I don't have kids but I'm pretty sure some kids want brand name clothes and hate to be perceived as poor because the other kids are cruel like that. So, yeah they do care about how much money you have.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Is this the origin story to Y:The Last Man?

Munchables posted:

I think I remember reading something about that. A Scandinavian country right? Iceland or Finland I think.

Quite a few countries have name limits. Japan has limits on what characters you can use

Data Graham posted:

Did you see what happened with New Coke? No thank you

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

I love that KHAYLEIGH-HUNTYR sneaks in there at the end to show that this naming convention was by no means a whim

They have a brother now.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'd feel bad about that, but I'm pro-bullying so it all evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Data Graham posted:

Ma'am, your license to use the letter Y is hereby revoked.

B...but why?!