Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

7c Nickel posted:

But the actual game around them is quite weak.

Yeah, no, they made it pretty clear that they didn't care about the story. And that's fine, because they rarely ever did.

FWIW, I, as someone who rants about the story of Monster Hunter all the way back to the first game, have to admit that the games had a plot and lore, but only MH4U had a real story. On top of that, they made it abundantly clear that MHGen wasn't supposed to be a new entry in the series or a new plot point; it was Monster Hunter All-Stars, from start to finish. It's just one big "hey look at all this awesome poo poo that we've had since day 1, wasn't that cool". That's why it "ends" when you beat the Big Four that represent the four generations of the series, and why the ending movie is just a big party montage of various areas and monsters through the game's history. If you came in expecting story then I'm sorry that you were disappointed with it, but to be honest you probably shouldn't have.

In the meantime, please look forward to what I hope will be actual plot in MH5, unless they say otherwise in the leadup to it, in which case look forward to another sick-rear end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I don't want a real story unless they can do it without interfering with the actual game, which is murdering a dragon 2 dozen times in satisfying boss-like fights so you can then wear him.

The monHun game loop is all about retreading content. At best you're looking at MMO-style "non-binding" story beats

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The plot of MH5 (SPOILERS):

A new scary monster is threatening the village! But as a new hunter, you aren't a bad enough dude to fight it yet. Go do some other quests until you're ready.
Oh, you defeated the monster? That's nice, but an even bigger and scarier monster just appeared! Now go back to questing until we let you fight it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

And Tyler Too! posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm seeing a lot of similarities between Felynes and cats.

What if this whole time it was really Felyne that (meant cat).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

They're known to have a much wider range of physical sizes than humans, as well. The ruler of Dundorma is like the size of a Lagombi.

I'm just saying, for somebody concerned about the perceived absence of what is a total throwaway framework story every time, you don't really actually care about the lore.

I know this stuff, wyverians are still just elves.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

deadly_pudding posted:

Wow, we finally discovered the elusive specimen who didn't like the end credits. Also, for somebody complaining about the lack of story, your calling that Wyverian an elf is pretty hilarious. Sorry about the big reveal from the very first game that there are multiple humanoid species.

The man's got a bit of a point, one of the things I liked best about Monster Hunter was that your character is this huge dope who almost gets killed at the beginning of every game, falls down a bunch, and is generally a human weeble wobble that gets hilariously owned by monsters at every turn but eventually takes them down. The newer ones make you just a little bit too competent and cool for my taste

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Squashing Machine posted:

The man's got a bit of a point, one of the things I liked best about Monster Hunter was that your character is this huge dope who almost gets killed at the beginning of every game, falls down a bunch, and is generally a human weeble wobble that gets hilariously owned by monsters at every turn but eventually takes them down. The newer ones make you just a little bit too competent and cool for my taste

Groaned every time the Caravaneer randomly said "you're a good hunter" just during a loading screen. I'm playing a videogame, there's no need to patronize my ego

I much prefer MHG's general tone of indifference towards me!

And anyway, there is some light theming going on. You're a darn scientist hunter in the game which is about trying out a huge range of different stuff! It's lightly handled and perfect

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does 3 U have a ton more flavor text than the old PSP games? I don't remember falling in love with the guild lady in Freedom Unite

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Squashing Machine posted:

4u was still a pretty big dope though. All the early cutscenes in LR was your hunter getting distracted by everything before getting jumped by the monster. It was only later on when they started being more competent in cutscenes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I dunno. I find with Adept Longsword that all my sickest owns are self-owns, where I dodge directly into an attack like half a second too early/late. It's a shame so few things in Generations seem to have Lazers for me to jump straight into. Like, it's pretty much Mizutsune and Rajang from what I've seen so far. I spent a really inordinate amount of time in 4U panic-diving through Gravios beams.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

deadly_pudding posted:

I dunno. I find with Adept Longsword that all my sickest owns are self-owns, where I dodge directly into an attack like half a second too early/late. It's a shame so few things in Generations seem to have Lazers for me to jump straight into. Like, it's pretty much Mizutsune and Rajang from what I've seen so far. I spent a really inordinate amount of time in 4U panic-diving through Gravios beams.

Gravios is gone, but there's always Agnaktor for fire beam shenanigans. Akantor and Ukanlos also have beams to dance around. Hell, Amatsu has water beams to deal with in additional to its wonderful tornadoes.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I picked up Generations again after not playing for a couple of months. Picking up Dual Blades has really revitalized my interest in the game. Adept DB just feels so slick. I'm already planning to build quite a few DB's.

If MH5 is announced for the Switch I will buy that console first day. I don't even have a nice TV. I'd use the handheld function or play on my computer monitor using HDMI output or something.

Is DB's niche elemental damage or status? I like a lot of the gimmick status DBs (esp. the beer steins) but it seems like that's SnS' forte.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Electric Lady posted:

I picked up Generations again after not playing for a couple of months. Picking up Dual Blades has really revitalized my interest in the game. Adept DB just feels so slick. I'm already planning to build quite a few DB's.

If MH5 is announced for the Switch I will buy that console first day. I don't even have a nice TV. I'd use the handheld function or play on my computer monitor using HDMI output or something.

Is DB's niche elemental damage or status? I like a lot of the gimmick status DBs (esp. the beer steins) but it seems like that's SnS' forte.

DBs are good for either, really. Due to the high number of hits, it's good for causing status effects very effectively, and also for causing elemental damage. AFAIK it's mostly speed that you'd consider when going for status/elemental versus raw; GS isn't that good for non-raw, for example.

And boy have I been dreaming for a Monster Hunter on console, ever since I came off of the PS1 version. I feel like it's a no-brainer at this point that Monster Hunter would follow Nintendo, so chances are very high.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think the consensus is that due to damage calculations, elemental attacks are what dB's are best at.

I think it's time to start hunting horning. How do they fare damage wise? I've been long swording after gunning for a while and once I finish my demolition saber I though KO damage with better range would be cool.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Electric Lady posted:

I've been running Aerial Dual Blades myeslf after being the cat forever. It's so drat fun to be a human blender.

For status Dual Blades, can't go wrong the the Hellblade ones. They do blast damage. It's fun as hell.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Electric Lady posted:

I picked up Generations again after not playing for a couple of months. Picking up Dual Blades has really revitalized my interest in the game.
This.

This right here.

If anyone ever finds themselves getting a little bored of the game, put it down for a couple of days, but before you do, consider the other weapons. When you come back, pick up what you decided upon, and work on a new set and or start knocking out some more quest clear checkmarks.

I don't know if I could play these games for more than maybe 70 hours if I couldn't change 'class' at the drop of a hat.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Squidtentacle posted:

And boy have I been dreaming for a Monster Hunter on console, ever since I came off of the PS1 version.

I don't recall MH on PS1? Did I miss a game?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
They probably just mean PS2. It was a somewhat early PS2 game anyway.

My enjoyment of DB over the past couple of hours has turned into adoration. Really happy that the Garuga fans are good dual blades. I love the aesthetic, it has 3 slots and poison's a great element.

Also, oh my god. Wolf's Maw. :stwoon:

e: RE: Hunting horns - hunting horns have great damage output, especially if you have an Attack Up song. Every hunting horn also comes with automatic Mind's Eye. With double notes and other tweaks, hunting horns are fully viable even solo now.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dual blades are really good until you're on a hunt with someone using them and then you never want to see them again.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Luminaflare posted:

I don't recall MH on PS1? Did I miss a game?

No you didn't, I'm just an idiot!

Yeah I meant PS2. I melded MH1 and PS2 in my mind. Doesn't help that I've been on a PS1 kick lately.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The only decent status on DBs is blast and poison. Para is meh and sleep is terrible. SnS and LBG are good for status.

If this announcement is just MHX-G then I'm not sure I'm going to even bother. Maybe it's because I'm finishing this game up and am pretty burnt out, but going through this entire game again for GRank isn't that appealing to me.

Game was great, don't get me wrong. Weapon styles and arts were a great addition. Just need some tweaking. But I think a decent overhaul is in order for me to have interest. Be it gameplay, graphics, online modes. Just something. I figure announcing a MH for Switch would help sell some units. Don't know why they wouldn't announce it now.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Cicadas! posted:

Dual blades are really good until you're on a hunt with someone using them and then you never want to see them again.

What's the reason for this?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cicadas! posted:

Er, why is that? Haven't had anyone complain about me using them in multiplayer... Am I annoying people without realizing it? :ohdear:

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The only decent status on DBs is blast and poison. Para is meh and sleep is terrible. SnS and LBG are good for status.

What do those stand for? I'm having trouble parsing the abbreviations. (Except DB, I know what that means.)

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

What do those stand for? I'm having trouble parsing the abbreviations. (Except DB, I know what that means.)

SnS= Sword and Shield
LBG= Light Bowgun

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What's the reason for this?

Picture this: You're hunting a monster, and an opportunity presents itself to start laying into it. You're charging your greatsword, or maybe you're in a great position to start clobbering the monster's head with your horn/hammer.

Enter Jimmy two-swords, who proceeds to wedge himself between you and the monster and begin spinning like a top. For the next 15 seconds, your rear end becomes intimately familiar with the dirt under you as you get to enjoy being chain-tripped until the monster gets back up. The opportunity has passed, and you have contributed nothing to it.

Now picture this happening every single time the monster is downed and you may start to see a problem. People always talk poo poo about longswords being trip machines, but for my money DSes are way worse about stuffing themselves exactly where you need to/are supposed to be.

As long as you're conscious and courteous about it it's a fine weapon, but I groan whenever I see one online because they usually... aren't.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Ah. I'm honestly not the best at positioning, but I definitely try to be on the other side of whatever part member that isn't in front of them. I also haven't really played online much yet.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What's a good general high rank set for bow/bowgun? I used rathalos when I used bow a bit in LR but I'm looking at high rank sets and nothing's really standing out. Should I just make HR rathalos and be done with it?

I'm having this problem with blademaster sets too, a lot of sets seem to have really bland skills attached. I've all but given up on making stuff without using Athena's rear end.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Generally speaking, Seltas Queen is a solid choice for gunning.

The issue with Gunner sets is that using a gun and having a set go with it depends mostly on that gun. It could be a Normal shot rapid fire, a status gun, and elemental gun, a Crag / Clust gun, etc etc.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Najarala has an extremely cool and sick design but oh my god does the camera ever poo poo itself while fighting one

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zodack posted:

Generally speaking, Seltas Queen is a solid choice for gunning.

The issue with Gunner sets is that using a gun and having a set go with it depends mostly on that gun. It could be a Normal shot rapid fire, a status gun, and elemental gun, a Crag / Clust gun, etc etc.

I guess I'll just make the Seltas gunner armor to go along with the Seltas blademaster armor I already have, then. Hero shield seems kind of worthless on a gunner set since most small attacks are things when the monster's pretty close, but ammo saver seems pretty good I guess. I made the khezu set in the meanwhile so I had a HR set to tide me over. The skills are kind of useless, but khezu's super easy to kill and it's still better than the 110 defense my LR rathalos set had.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Ah. I'm honestly not the best at positioning, but I definitely try to be on the other side of whatever part member that isn't in front of them. I also haven't really played online much yet.

I used to be wary at going online, but it's real hard to be the worst person in a room. Here's a super pro monster hunter online play etiquette guide:

- play online in a few hunts with pubbies
- you see that thing that someone's doing that pissed you off? try not to do that
- Try not to trip/knockback people, but if you're doing something that can trip/knockback people and you're there first but they get in the way then that's their fault, gently caress them
- if someone puts a monster to sleep for the love of god stop attacking, let them set up bombs and/or set up a couple of your own

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 26, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When's that event happening? Is it going to stream anywhere?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
As long as you're not actively knocking over other players and you have active armor skills you meet the baseline for online play. If you're appropriately geared and paying attention you should be fine.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait you use sleep to set up barrel bombs? Huh.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait you use sleep to set up barrel bombs? Huh.

Yeah. When they're asleep, the next attack does like 3x damage or something. So it's smart to just slap a bunch of bombs around it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Theta Zero posted:

Yeah. When they're asleep, the next attack does like 3x damage or something. So it's smart to just slap a bunch of bombs around it.

Is this video still accurate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxGPju3aAg

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If the monster isn't asleep use barrel bombs to teach GS players to charge the loving GS instead of spamming X. Only when the GS is charged do the bombs cease.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Theta Zero posted:

To be more specific, when attacking a sleeping monster, the next melee hit does 2x damage. The next ranged or item hit does 3x damage.

The above video is still accurate, although something it doesn't mention is that only the first hit gets the bonus damage, so multi hit moves kinda suck for doing this but any weapon capable of doing a large amount of damage in one hit can really do some work. So... greatsword, basically. You'd think gunlance with wyvern fire would be a top tier candidate but that move is actually a bunch of medium strength hits for some reason.

Basically, even though only one of the LBB+ will get the multiplier, explosive damage from bombs or gunlance shells is fixed damage so contributing a bomb or two can help a lot more than you might think. Set them up at a part you really want broken and you're practically guaranteed to break it or be super close to doing so when you detonate.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

News from the Japanese Direct just now: Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) is coming out 18 March 2017 on 3DS.

Whereas the main theme in X was 'four', now the theme is 'six'. Six main monsters now, six hunting styles. New main monsters include a new badass Diablos and some dragon thing with wings that blast out jets of flame. One of the new hunting styles is 'Brave Style', my Japanese was too rusty to really get this but it seems like you power up a meter by absorbing hits?

Of course there's a couple of new areas to fight in as well, and G-Rank will be accessible through a new hub set on a trio of airships.

In the best news however, Prowlers/Nyantas have been powered up! They can now do Bushido Style/Aerial style moves.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
THE loving MADMEN

E: Barioth, Barroth and Blos are back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLSDeGeDpKs

2 new uniques, a black blos with blue highlights and a jet-powered not-gore magala

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm only okay with this because they admitted it's a Double Cross :mad:

Seriously, though, Brave Style sounds hilarious and is also a thing I'm too proud to use.

I guess now I have about... 11 months or so to decide if I want to main Swaxe or HBG. I assume it's gonna be like the other Ultimate/G games where the entire LR campaign is there, plus another 3 ranks of HR single player content, plus all the new multiplayer G rank stuff?

• Locked thread